• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dries

You've established that you have an incredible ability to not notice things. Your posts in the GTAV trailer thread are exploding heads.

Yeah, that escalated quickly huh :) But honestly, I don't see the stuff that the people are pointing out to me in that thread. I understand the theory behind it all, but my eyes literally do. not. see. any. judder/stutter/whatsoever. At all.

But maybe I should get a Gsync monitor. See what I've been missing :-/ I don't know.

ricki42

I know if I turn off VSync it might say it's getting 100 frames per second, or even several times that if it's a sufficiently old game, but they're not actually contributing to the end visual. Just seems a waste they can't be used as a brute-force motion blur.

This is kind of off-topic, but doesn't TXAA use information from previous frames? I would expect it uses all frames, not just the ones displayed, but I don't know the details. It doesn't give you motion blur (not sure I'd want that anyway) but can give better anti-aliasing (pretty sure I want that).

mkenyon

Banned
I know if I turn off VSync it might say it's getting 100 frames per second, or even several times that if it's a sufficiently old game, but they're not actually contributing to the end visual. Just seems a waste they can't be used as a brute-force motion blur.
Though it's not contributing to the visual end, it is contributing to faster input response. There's a lot of games that get wonky in v-sync, beyond the input lag stuff too.

There's games like Quake III, for example, that required a really high FPS in order to take advantage of some movement mechanics.

I've just purchased my first SSD! Never used one before, I got the MX100 256GB one. Am I right in thinking/hoping that I'll notice more of a performance (not so much gaming, but more general day-to-day PC use) increase with that than if I upgraded my 4GB of RAM to 8GB?

Hi there, pcGAF. I'll be attempting my first pc build soon, and after some research I thought I'd throw up my potential part list for your expert advice. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Potential build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£174.00 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard (£105.56 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Kingston Fury Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£54.98 @ Novatech)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£41.79 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card (£159.98 @ Novatech)
Case: BitFenix Prodigy M Arctic White MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£63.59 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£51.00 @ Aria PC)
Total: £650.90

Answers to the OP questions:

Your Current Specs: 2009 MacBook Pro (lol)
Budget/Location: £600-£650/UK
Main Use: Gaming: 5, Emulation (PS2/Wii): 2, Video Editing: 1, Streaming games in HD: 3, General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback): 5.
Monitor Resolution: 1080p
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Really looking forward to playing MGSV -- both Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain. 1080p and 60fps on high settings for these games would be ideal. I'm also hoping to use this build as a Hackingtosh to use the odd Mac app on occasion.
When will you build?: This month
Will you be overclocking?: Maybe in the future

Some of my own notes concerning the above:

1. Is my choice of RAM ok?
2. I also have no idea about which power supply to go for -- I made my choice based on Amazon reviews.
3. I know some of you may advise against the GTX 960, but I value energy efficiency and silent operation in addition to raw power. Nvidia's driver support is a plus too.

Thanks for any help!

ricki42

Hi there, pcGAF. I'll be attempting my first pc build soon, and after some research I thought I'd throw up my potential part list for your expert advice. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Potential build:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard (£105.56 @ Scan.co.uk)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£41.79 @ Amazon UK)
Case: BitFenix Prodigy M Arctic White MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£63.59 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£51.00 @ Aria PC)

Main Use: Gaming: 5, Emulation (PS2/Wii): 2, Video Editing: 1, Streaming games in HD: 3, General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback): 5.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Really looking forward to playing MGSV -- both Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain. 1080p and 60fps on high settings for these games would be ideal. I'm also hoping to use this build as a Hackingtosh to use the odd Mac app on occasion.

2. I also have no idea about which power supply to go for -- I made my choice based on Amazon reviews.
3. I know some of you may advise against the GTX 960, but I value energy efficiency and silent operation in addition to raw power. Nvidia's driver support is a plus too.

Thanks for any help!

The Corsair CX PSUs have a bit of a bad reputation. Have a look at PSUs in the example builds in the OP, maybe you can find one of those for a good price.
The RAM looks OK.
You should consider getting a CPU cooler, like the Hyper 212 Evo; you don't need it if you're not overclocking, but it's easier to install the cooler right away if you do decide to overclock later. And since you have an unlocked CPU, you really should consider it, overclocking is relatively easy and gives you a free performance boost.
What form factor are you going for? You have a mini ITX mobo in a micro ATX case. That fits, but depending on what you need, you can go for a smaller ITX case, or get a mATX mobo.

I've just purchased my first SSD! Never used one before, I got the MX100 256GB one. Am I right in thinking/hoping that I'll notice more of a performance (not so much gaming, but more general day-to-day PC use) increase with that than if I upgraded my 4GB of RAM to 8GB?

Yeah you should do, but it depends what HDD you are upgrading from, if it's a really slow non-7500RPM model you'll notice a good boost in speed.

I would upgrade the ram to 8GB too to really overhaul your system. Get a matched pair 2x 4GB sticks.

The Corsair CX PSUs have a bit of a bad reputation. Have a look at PSUs in the example builds in the OP, maybe you can find one of those for a good price.
The RAM looks OK.
You should consider getting a CPU cooler, like the Hyper 212 Evo; you don't need it if you're not overclocking, but it's easier to install the cooler right away if you do decide to overclock later. And since you have an unlocked CPU, you really should consider it, overclocking is relatively easy and gives you a free performance boost.
What form factor are you going for? You have a mini ITX mobo in a micro ATX case. That fits, but depending on what you need, you can go for a smaller ITX case, or get a mATX mobo.

Hey, thanks for responding.

Any thoughts on this power supply? Any better?

I don't plan to overclock for a little while, and would prefer to stay within my budget with a stock cooler for now.

Regarding form factor, I plan on using the Bitfenix Prodigy M as I really like this particular case. As per your comment, any suggestions for an alternative mini-ITX motherboard? I took my current selection from the small form factor build guide in the OP.

Thanks again :)

Yeah you should do, but it depends what HDD you are upgrading from, if it's a really slow non-7500RPM model you'll notice a good boost in speed.

I would upgrade the ram to 8GB too to really overhaul your system. Get a matched pair 2x 4GB sticks.

HDD I'm using is 7200rpm. Had a look through my order history on Scan and it turns out I bought it back in 2010, seems like I was due for a new one!

RAM is next on my list, that's next months upgrade.

Chitown B

upgrades:

11131747_10152935595362039_6399027350020357838_n_zpsqnn5zwm7.jpg

Unfortunately now Kodi (XBMC) has a freeze in the video during playback every minute or so. I can't figure out why.

Palehorse

Hey,

After my upgrade to an i5-4690k I had thought to hold on to my GTX650 1GB for a while but now that I'm here...well I'm not sure I'll be able to hold on.

As I have a limited budget now, I'm looking at probably a GTX960 2GB for around $260 CAN from NCIX...

Is that a decent upgrade? Does it make sense to hold off and wait for new AMD cards? Try to gather more cash for something truly worth the performance/cost?

kennah

Hey,

After my upgrade to an i5-4690k I had thought to hold on to my GTX650 1GB for a while but now that I'm here...well I'm not sure I'll be able to hold on.

As I have a limited budget now, I'm looking at probably a GTX960 2GB for around $260 CAN from NCIX...

Is that a decent upgrade? Does it make sense to hold off and wait for new AMD cards? Try to gather more cash for something truly worth the performance/cost?
Hold off. Or buy a used 670 for like 140 on Kijiji.

jwhit28

Hey,

The Radeon R9 285 and 960 are very evenly matched if you can find the 285 cheaper.

ricki42

Hey, thanks for responding.

Any thoughts on this power supply? Any better?

HardOCP gave it a 'pass' grade, mostly because of performance for price. So looks good.

Regarding form factor, I plan on using the Bitfenix Prodigy M as I really like this particular case. As per your comment, any suggestions for an alternative mini-ITX motherboard? I took my current selection from the small form factor build guide in the OP.

Thanks again :)

I agree, it's a nice case. And there's nothing wrong with the motherboard, you can get more expansion slots with a mATX mobo, but it doesn't sound like you need that, so mini-ITX works.

HardOCP gave it a 'pass' grade, mostly because of performance for price. So looks good.

I agree, it's a nice case. And there's nothing wrong with the motherboard, you can get more expansion slots with a mATX mobo, but it doesn't sound like you need that, so mini-ITX works.

Great -- I'll switch out the power supply and save £10 in the process. Looking forward to putting this together soon. Thank you for your help.

Syroc

Tarsier Studios
I ran into two problems with my new computer, which I assembled tonight.

1. A few seconds after turning it on the computer will turn itself off for a second and then turn itself back on. It then stays on permanently.
  2. It displays nothing at all.
What I've tried tonight was to remove one of the memory blocks and connecting it through DVI and HDMI cables to different displays using both the motherboards outputs and the GPU's outputs. All the fans in the case, GPU fans and the CPU fan are running.

I'm gonna go back tomorrow to see if I can get it to work with the help of Google, but I was wondering if you folks could give me some pointers as to what I should try next.

Thanks!

I just noticed this week that my Sapphire 7970 has only one working fan. I took it apart and cleaned it, reseated the fans and it still isn't spinning. What are some good aftermarket coolers for these? I don't have that much room to work with.

1. A few seconds after turning it on the computer will turn itself off for a second and then turn itself back on. It then stays on permanently.
What I've tried tonight was to remove one of the memory blocks and connecting it through DVI and HDMI cables to different displays using both the motherboards outputs and the GPU's outputs. All the fans in the case, GPU fans and the CPU fan are running.

I'm gonna go back tomorrow to see if I can get it to work with the help of Google, but I was wondering if you folks could give me some pointers as to what I should try next.

Thanks!

Try removing the graphics card and use the motherboard video output.

no maam

Banned

Thanks!

Make sure your gpu is seated correctly. And all the plugs are correctly seated and all the ones that needed to be plugged in are. That's always the main reason for any troubleshooting (for me at least) I had the same problem you just described. I popped out the gpu and pushed the shit out of it to make sure it was in.

xBladeM6x

Got my Air 540 in, and my lord is this case awesome. The hot swap HDD bays are actually pretty convenient and it feels incredibly solid. Also, holy mother of thumb screws. There's a ton on this thing, and it's great. The only negative I can really say, is that I wish it was build to be a bit more quiet, but it's not a big deal for me.

i7-3770k
GTX 980
AsRock Pro3 Gen3 Z68
DansGame.png

16GB RAM
Corsair Air 540

Yes, that is a stock cooler you see on my CPU, and it is a monster of a stock cooler. I got super lucky with how well this one cools.
I plan to get some purple LEDs for the inside of the case, and a new CPU cooler just for the sake of appearance. Also, changing those red sata cables out with black ones for sure.

mkenyon

Banned
Got my Air 540 in, and my lord is this case awesome. The hot swap HDD bays are actually pretty convenient and it feels incredibly solid. Also, holy mother of thumb screws. There's a ton on this thing, and it's great. The only negative I can really say, is that I wish it was build to be a bit more quiet, but it's not a big deal for me.

i7-3770k
GTX 980
AsRock Pro3 Gen3 Z68
DansGame.png

16GB RAM
Corsair Air 540

Yes, that is a stock cooler you see on my CPU, and it is a monster of a stock cooler. I got super lucky with how well this one cools.
I plan to get some purple LEDs for the inside of the case, and a new CPU cooler just for the sake of overclocking. Also, changing those red sata cables out with black ones for sure.
fixt

Also, grats!

SRG01

I'm pretty close to giving up on waiting for my 4790s to come in, although I really shouldn't be since I still have three more weeks of teaching and can't be distracted.

Still, I'm now looking at the 4790 or 4790k and 212 Evo cooler. Does that cooler work well with tall ram?

Foxix Von

I just want to make sure before I spend hours of my time rigging everything up. Is this power cable supposed to have this wire missing?

Qd7TjqK.jpg

Second link doesn't work. First link... do you mean at the base configuration or what?

You should build your own.

2nd link is this for $430:
Dell Outlet Inspiron 3847
Processor: Intel Core 4th Generation i5-4460 Processor (6MB Cache, up to 3.4GHz)
Windows 8.1
1 TB SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
12 GB Memory (8GBx1 + 4GBx1) Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz
Tray load DVD Drive (Reads and Writes to DVD/CD)
Intel HD Integrated Graphics

Would change the gfx card to GeForce GTX 750 1 GB or 750 Ti 2 GB

The above was a "penny saver" recommended build from SA.

Yea base stuff, maybe upgrade the base video card to the amd r7 250 2gb gddr3

Build your own - Yea, I'm afraid I would screw something up :/.

Edit: Thinking the Dell and buying an upgraded video crd would be my best option since it comes with extra ram. I like to mess around with photoshop/premiere pro here and there.

Sarcasm

I have a question my motherboard lists support memory types while some of them have (OC) next to it. I assume it means overclock but if I buy that memory I don't need to overclock it right?

kennah

All ddr3 over 1333Mhz is by definition over clocked. It just means that the motherboard will manually allow you to set that speed.

Jimrpg

GAF i need some advice...

Ive purchased a new PC with i5-4690k, Gigabyte GTX G1 970 and I need to choose between the XB270HU ($900 after shipping) and the XB240H ($500 after shipping). I've been leaning all along with the XB270HU but its a pretty expensive monitor and I'm wondering how much the benefit of IPS really is.

It really comes down to 1440p v 1080p and IPS vs TN for the extra $400. The extra screen size is nice too.

As far as gaming goes, GTA V, Skyrim, Dark Souls 1 and 2, racing simulators.

I also feel like this is kind of end of the line for TN style panels that have a fast refresh rate (144hz)... So the xb270hu is a lot more future proof...

2nd link is this for $430:
Edit: Thinking the Dell and buying an upgraded video crd would be my best option since it comes with extra ram. I like to mess around with photoshop/premiere pro here and there.

Went with this option, hit up retailmenot and found a code for 25% off, so went that round and it came to around 350 with tax.

Dead

well not really...yet
I ended up returning my Dell Ultrasharp and getting the ROG Swift. The lag in games was more noticeable than I expected.

Tried 144hz and G-Sync and the difference is legit night and day, insane.

Color wise, it took a while to dial it in, but I've managed to get it to look extremely close to the Dell IPS, if not outright identical. Though this is TN, it being 8 bit rather 6 definitely helps.Also, virtually no light bleed, so I won the panel lottery.

RGM79

Hi guys. My old PC just died, so I need to build a new one.

Your Current Specs: None
Budget: ~400€ + Spain
Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest:
Light Gaming: 3
Gaming: 3
Emulation (PS2/Wii): 1
Video Editing: 1
Streaming games in HD: 1
3D/Model work: 1
General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback): 5
Monitor Resolution: 1680x1050
Are you buying a new monitor? No
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: I just want it to play Heroes of the Storm. 60fps preferably.
Looking to reuse any parts?: No
When will you build?: ASAP
Will you be overclocking?: No

I just want a cheap PC to play HotS, watch movies and use Chrome, so nothing too expensive. Would the Budget PC in the OP be right for me? Thanks.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD A10-7850K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor (€148.11 @ Amazon Espana)
Motherboard: MSI A88XM-E35 Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard (€52.90 @ Amazon Espana)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (€63.70 @ Amazon Espana)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€54.95 @ Amazon Espana)
Case: Zalman ZM-T3 MicroATX Mini Tower Case (€21.95 @ Amazon Espana)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (€60.87 @ Amazon Espana)
Total: €402.48
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-03 07:00 CEST+0200

I considered going with an Intel G3258 build, but I would have to drop down to 4GB RAM to be able to fit in a decent graphics card (an R7 250X). I know that this parts list definitely meets HOTS' minimum requirements, but I am not certain about 60FPS, unless you lower the settings. This is the best balance that your 400€ budget will allow for. Are there any local retailers you prefer to deal with? Perhaps you may be able to find better local deals, as most of my links are from Amazon Spain.

Okay, I've compiled a pcpartpicker list of the components making up the enthusiast build from the OP. Think I've got everything except the soundcard. Does this look right? Did I mess it up? Do I need anything else?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/gmXzRB
You could save a lot of money with different parts that wouldn't result in a drop in performance.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($226.69 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.75 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($100.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($96.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Toshiba Product Series:DT01ACA 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($72.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card ($544.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1302.36
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-03 01:12 EDT-0400

1. Went with the i5 4690K instead of the i7 4790K. When it comes to most games, they perform nearly the same, according to Anandtech and Xbit Labs. The only real difference between the two processors is hyperthreading, which games don't really take advantage of when both processors are already quad core models to begin with. Hyperthreading is really only useful for programs that do make use it of (video encoding, computational stuff, media production, etc).
2. Went with a cheaper motherboard in black. Unless you actually need the Gigabyte UD5H-BK's extra features, I'd cut back on the motherboard to save money for other parts.
3. Paying $180 for 16GB of RAM is overpriced. I found 16GB of faster 1866MHz RAM for only $110.
4. The newer BX100 is cheaper than the MX100, and you won't be able to tell the difference.
5. The hard drive you picked didn't have any price data, so I went with a 2TB Toshiba model instead.
6. With all the money saved, I was able to fit a GTX 980 into the build easily. You could stick with the GTX 970 or go with an R9 290 (~$260) to save money, if you want.
7. Cases are usually a subjective choice, is there anything you had in mind besides the one the build guide recommends? Not that there's anything wrong with it, it's a rather roomy and high end model for a decent price, but there are other cases out there. I chose the cheaper mid-size Corsair Carbide 300R to recommend to you for now.
8. Paying $100 for just 750 watts is pretty expensive, even for gold rated semi-modular models. I recommend the EVGA Supernova B2 750 watt model instead, it's bronze rated but is very well built and just as high quality. Technically you only need about 550 watts for the entire system with the GTX 980, 750 watts is only necessary if you plan for twin GTX 980s.
9. DVD drives are kinda unnecessary these days. USB drives and digital distribution have basically replaced most needs for a DVD drive. You can even install Windows officially via USB drive.

RGM79

Potential build:

Thanks for any help!

If you're going to pick the mATX Bitfenix Prodigy M, you should get an mATX motherboard instead of mITX for a proper fit. You could put in a smaller motherboard, but it's not like you're saving space, in which case you should go with the regular mITX Bitfenix Prodigy instead.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£24.99 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£77.96 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£51.70 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card (£161.95 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: XFX TS 650W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply (£59.33 @ More Computers)
Total: £655.31
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-03 07:08 BST+0100

With that build, I was able to save costs and put that towards a CPU cooler and a much better power supply that will be able to support most graphics cards that you may upgrade to in the future. Now, onto your questions:

1. It's fine, nothing wrong with your RAM. I did find a similar Kingston model rated for the same speed for slightly cheaper, though.
2. The Bitfenix Prodigy M should have a power supply no longer than 160mm in order to not conflict with long graphics cards. I'd also advise against getting a Corsair CX model, and while the EVGA 500 watt model you later found is pretty decent for the price, I recommend the XFX 650 watt model I listed which does fit in your budget and has enough wattage to support future high end graphics cards.
3. I guess it's a good thing you already know we're going to advise against you getting a GTX 960. You won't be able to play MSGV at high settings and 60FPS, the best you will get is 30FPS as this youtube footage shows (tiny FPS counter in upper left corner of the video). The R9 290 is a much faster card than the GTX 960, by up to 50% faster, and that card barely does 60FPS at high settings for Ground Zeroes. You would need a GTX 970 at the very least if you want both Nvidia and 60FPS at high settings.

You'll notice a great speed-up in terms of loading speed, while adding more RAM would let your computer run multiple programs more easily. A RAM upgrade would be the next thing to go for.

Can't mix speeds in memory right?

Like 1600 and 1866 (forgot the exact number).

You can, it'll just default to the lowest supported speed which is usually 1333MHz. For best compatibility when it comes to RAM, it's not a bad idea to look for same speed and latency.

Quick question; I have been thinking of building a computer recently. I'll most likely do it at a later date, towards the end of the year, as it's near both my birthday and Christmas. I was wondering about when do new components usually come out?

Say, the build I'm currently considering (http://it.pcpartpicker.com/p/FPCQYJ) comes at about 1400€ now, but I'd imagine that both the CPU and GPU's prices would drop once new ones come out.
Also, I'd imagine that all the cables/screws/standoffs needed will come with each part, correct? Or are there any I'll have to buy separately? (pretty sure the HDMI cable is not included)

RGM79

Quick question; I have been thinking of building a computer recently. I'll most likely do it at a later date, towards the end of the year, as it's near both my birthday and Christmas. I was wondering about when do new components usually come out?

Say, the build I'm currently considering (http://it.pcpartpicker.com/user/sackboy97/saved/Y9q9TW) comes at about 1400€ now, but I'd imagine that both the CPU and GPU's prices would drop once new ones come out.
Also, I'd imagine that all the cables/screws/standoffs needed will come with each part, correct? Or are there any I'll have to buy separately? (pretty sure the HDMI cable is not included)

Your parts list is private and cannot be viewed. You can share it by either making it publicly viewable or using either of these three options:
Ud0PvIdl.jpg

There isn't always a timetable for new parts, but what we do know now is that rumors say AMD's new R9 3XX graphics cards will drop around June and Intel's Broadwell and Skylake are slated to be released by Q3 2015. While current processors are just fine in terms of performance, the way Intel launches them usually means older lines are quickly discontinued and replaced by the new product line for similar prices. By the time you intend to buy and build parts, the parts in the list you currently have now may not be available or may only be available in limited quantities.

SATA cables come with the motherboard, power cables come with the power supply, and the case usually comes with a bag or box of all the screws you need as well as some extras. HDMI cable may or may not come with a monitor.

There isn't always a timetable for new parts, but what we do know now is that rumors say AMD's new R9 3XX graphics cards will drop around June and Intel's Broadwell and Skylake are slated to be released by Q3 2015. While current processors are just fine in terms of performance, the way Intel launches them usually means older lines are quickly discontinued and replaced by the new product line for similar prices. By the time you intend to buy and build parts, the parts in the list you currently have now may not be available or may only be available in limited quantities.

SATA cables come with the motherboard, power cables come with the power supply, and the case usually comes with a bag or box of all the screws you need as well as some extras. HDMI cable may or may not come with a monitor.
I see, thanks for the answers! I'll still hold out hope that stuff will get cheaper :D
Either way, that's the correct link I believe http://it.pcpartpicker.com/p/FPCQYJ

Have you stress tested the cpu overclock? Why are you raising the bclk from 100mhz?

I... don't... know? Where is the bclk?

You also are using Auto Vcore for an overclock which is breaking rule number 1.

Oh. Yes. Rule #1.

That's probably where the problem lies.
What is the DRAM Voltags set to? Try 1.55v.

Forgive me, but could you circle things on the pictures, maybe? I'm kind of confused what I'm supposed to be looking for, that was the problem in the first place.

Also don't know if you know it, but the samsung ram you've got is called wonder ram, some of the best ram ever made.

Trust me, I know. I wish I had bought more of it when I could've.

You should start by setting the Asus performance thing to Normal. That is what's jacking up settings on the cpu making things go bad!

Oh. People usually say to overclock these things if you have the proper cooling. I thought that would be an easy way of doing so, at least some of the way.

RGM79

I see, thanks for the answers! I'll still hold out hope that stuff will get cheaper :D
Either way, that's the correct link I believe http://it.pcpartpicker.com/p/FPCQYJ

The official BenQ website says the monitor includes a VGA cable in the box, so if you prefer HDMI you'll need to buy an HDMI cable.

It's still very early, but your parts list looks fine for the most part, there are just a few things to note.

1. Depending on prices, you should be able to find 1866MHz memory or faster for the same cost or even cheaper. For example, 8GB of 2400MHz RAM costs only 70 Euros. Of course, 8 months from now you may by buying DDR4 memory instead depending on what you decide to buy, and prices can change frequently.

2. The Intel 320 SSD line is already three years old, I cannot really recommend it. By the time you put your PC together it'll be almost 4 years old. I'd recommend something like the new Crucial BX100 or similar, it may cost 10 Euros more but it'd be worth it to not get an obsolete SSD as new SSDs come with a lot more to offer in terms of technology, performance, and capabilities in the last 3 years.

3. Seagate drives don't have a very good reputation, I'd recommend that you get a Western Digital drive instead like this 1TB WD Blue which almost always costs nearly the same as the Seagate 1TB Barracuda.

4. That Enermax power supply (ETL650AWT) appears to already be discontinued, and it was an so-so model at best according to this TechPowerUp review. Prices will change so I cannot recommend any specific models for now, but I recommend brands like Seasonic, Super Flower, XFX, and maybe some Antec/EVGA/Corsair depending on prices and the model in question.

Thanks for all the info! The HDD and SSD were mostly placeholders, I just chose the ones which had the right amount of storage and the price range I was looking for; same goes for the PSU. Actually I think I went with that one as it was of the few semi-, and considering this is my first build I thought that would help to keep things easier.

I'll keep in mind your tips though; I will also try and look around to see if maybe I can find SSDs, HDDs and PSUs in local shops, but I doubt they'll be cheaper than Amazon.

EDIT: I just noticed that I got a compatibility note related to the RAM you suggested: The G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory operating voltage of 1.65V exceeds the Intel Haswell Refresh CPU recommended maximum of 1.5V+5% (1.575V). This memory module may run at a reduced clock rate to meet the 1.5V voltage recommendation, or may require running at a voltage greater than the Intel recommended maximum.
Would that be a problem?

Water

So NVMe (= bootable!) PCIe SSDs are slowly rolling out. If you don't need more than 400GB, I think the price is already pretty affordable.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9090/intel-ssd-750-pcie-ssd-review-nvme-for-the-client

Here's hoping the competition will finally wake up and counter the Intel product with something that's oriented further towards client workloads and the enthusiast customer market. If I'm going to spend close to 400 euros on a slow 1TB SSD, I'd gladly throw in some extra to get 2-3x performance out of it. Surely the cost per unit of using the faster interface isn't that high, they just have to get the product out in the first place.

Charcoal

I'm thinking about picking up a 980TI when it drops in a few months. Is my 3770K going to be relevant for the next few years, or would it be worth the extra money to upgrade to a 4790K or above?

RGM79

I'm thinking about picking up a 980TI when it drops in a few months. Is my 3770K going to be relevant for the next few years, or would it be worth the extra money to upgrade to a 4790K or above?

Going from the 3770K to 4790K is a tiny increase in performance for games. You'd be spending over $400 USD for what would be a 5~15% improvement in most areas. If you don't already have a decent CPU cooler, that'd be a better use of your money, so you can overclock the processor instead and get the same if not better performance than a stock clocked 4790K. Besides, the i7 is more than enough for gaming.

Syroc

Tarsier Studios
I'm getting three long beeps when I try to turn on my new computer. From what I can tell that means it's a problem with the memory.

My motherboard: MSI H97I AC (DDR3 1066/1333/1600 MHz)
My RAM: HyperX HX318C10FBK2/8 (DDR3-1866)

I was under the impression that it should work despite the different speeds. Is that not correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom