• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe when AMD's new cards arrive sometime around June or July possibly. We don't know much about the low end there and there's a good chance they'll just be current cards re-badged with prices dropped.
If this is the case, then you're looking at 2016 for Nvidia's Pascal architecture.
Thanks. My choice of buying the 750 Ti ended up being a good one then. No successor in sight yet is a tad depressing though. I bought a 560 Ti at launch prior to this one which means I have been rocking the same level of performance for 4 years now. I wish I could finally take advantage of rapid refresh rates and freesync.

Just wipe it? It's only 8gb.

I'd also guess it's the system restore points. Had like ~20GB of them on an 80GB SSD lol. For whatever reason the default setting was that windows could use as much space for them as it wanted :/

littleglasshopper said:
current setup
i5-3570k
EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Superclocked ACX 2.0
16gb ddr3

I feel like my CPU is bottle necking my GPU. I want to upgrade it. I'm thinking of getting an i7-5930K, a new mobo and some ddr4 ram. My question is should I wait for skylate CPUs to be released or should I just get the i7-5930k. I don't mind waiting if its right around the corner of being released.

i7-5930K or skylate?

You have a very, very fast CPU, why ditch it? Just OC it to ~4Ghz and you are set for atleast another 2 years.

Edit: This is from a games perspective btw.

RGM79

Damn, that's one hell of a deal. Unfortunately the closest one seems to be like 4 hours away from me.

That's too bad, then. It's going to be $230 at the cheapest for the processor and another $80~100 for a decent motherboard. Do you already have a good CPU cooler? If not, I recommend the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo ($29) assuming it fits your case.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($226.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.95 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-E ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($91.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $347.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-18 04:04 EDT-0400

Guys I'm gonna be buying a GTX 980 but not sure which one? There's this one here https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-204-OK

Or a super clocked version on Amazon for 25 more and I'm not sure if it really matters getting the SC one? Also I've got a 550w PSU so I assume I'll need a bigger one?
I wouldn't go for the blower type reference cooler design. Although it keeps your case from heating up, it also tends to run somewhat louder and warmer than other models. In Guru3D's testing, the reference type cooler was 15 degrees (!) warmer at load than the Gigabyte GTX 980, although it was just 1~2 decibels louder than the Windforce cooler.

I recommend the MSI Gaming 4G model (£450) if you want low noise and good performance. It's clocked faster yet also has a zero fan speed mode when at low temperatures. If you don't care or need a silent fan mode, then there's the Gigabyte Windforce model (also £450) which is also clocked faster and has a very effective triple fan cooler and would likely be best for overclocking. Both the MSI and Gigabyte models will perform closer to the EVGA Superclocked model in terms of performance than the "reference" model from overclockers.co.uk.

As for the power supply, you won't need a new one. The GTX 980 will do just fine on 550 watts.

ValfarHL

Aye, for all norwegians: Komplett.no sells the the new ASUS GeForce BLACK GTX 970 for a 16% discount right now. I just bought one!

Direct link: https://www.komplett.no/asus-geforce-black-gtx-970-4gb/834147

Soo, not alot of info on this card. No reviews or overclocking tests than I can find.

Compared to the Asus Strix, this has VRM and a 10 phase design.

Also 8+6 pin power, compared to the Strix' 1x8.

Should be a better overclocker.

Does anyone know anything more about this card?

H4r4kiri

Hey Gaf,
I am a little bit worried about my graphics card and the temps. I got a MSI 290 and have A tv connected to it via HDMI and a Monitor via DVI.

I played the Witcher 2 and it reached temps of aalmost 92'C. Isn't that a little to high ?
I know the 290s are made to get hot, but this seems dangerous to me. The game quit after 3 hours and threw me to the desktop.

Here is a list of my parts and Case. Can I do soomething about ?

PCPartPicker part list: http://de.pcpartpicker.com/p/T7c3Mp
Price breakdown by merchant: http://de.pcpartpicker.com/p/T7c3Mp/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (€249.90 @ Caseking)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G43 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (€95.64 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€79.90 @ Caseking)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€58.89 @ Pixmania DE)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 290 4GB TWIN FROZR Video Card
Case: Corsair Graphite Series 230T Grey ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSC0 DVD/CD Writer (€17.50 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €501.83
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-18 15:20 CEST+0200

Reckoner

Installed two new HyperX 8gb 1866mhz rams. Task manager says it is running at 1333mhz, though, but Bios and CPU-Z gives correct values. Am I missing something? I already changed the memory clock on bios from auto to 1866mhz and there's no XMP profile, which, from what I read, is a common thing among HyperX rams.

If I were you, I would wait, even if Skylake only comes in the end of the year like what it's expected. You should be fine with that build until then. Do you really feel the need to upgrade?

I dont need it but I just felt like upgrading. But like I said, I don't mind waiting if its nearby. Thanks for the input. :)

luffeN

Hello! Friend of mine wants to build a new PC. Gaming is number 1 focus with a budget of about 1000 Euros.

Your Current Specs: Old ass PC, will only take DVD drive, maybe the tower
Budget: Max. 1000 Euros Austria/Germany
Main Use: Gaming 5
Monitor Resolution: No new monitor, 1080p
Game: GTA V should run well, 1080p/60 would be nice if possible. No need for PhysX, SS
When will you build?: In about a month
Will you be overclocking?: Friend doesn't want to, depending on the price and ease of overclocking, I may persuade him.

Non-overclocking so far would be an Intel Xeon E3-1231 v3, 4x 3.40GHz, 256GB SSD (Crucial or Evo), 1 to 2 TB HDD (WD Blue?). Need a robust power supply and motherboard. Graphics card I don't know, maybe a GTX 970? Wait for the new Radeons?

He generally wants to build this PC and never touch it again for the next 5 years.

Thanks!

Tc91

Back again, new ram just arrived as I thought the Kingston stuff was faulty. Turns out this doesn't work either, Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16gb 1866mhz.

Could it be my motherboard? The website says it supports it the only way I can get my PC to boot is put 1 old stick in and a new stick.

ValfarHL

Back again, new ram just arrived as I thought the Kingston stuff was faulty. Turns out this doesn't work either, Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16gb 1866mhz.

Could it be my motherboard? The website says it supports it the only way I can get my PC to boot is put 1 old stick in and a new stick.

Tried flashing your bios?

ValfarHL

Did that yesterday, tried resetting the cmos battery, I've tried everything. I'm really stumped at what it could be.

Could be from going from 1333mhz to 1866mhz? Or should it just run.

Have you set the correct voltage and frequenzy for your new sticks in the bios?

Sorry if the questions are stupid, but best to be thorough. :)

Tc91

Have you set the correct voltage and frequenzy for your new sticks in the bios?

Sorry if the questions are stupid, but best to be thorough. :)

I can't access the bios with the new ram in my PC, it literally doesn't boot fans start spinning for 1-2 seconds then it reboots until I turn it off.

The only way I can get it to boot with new ram is by using 1 old stick 1 new stick, I've been in the bios and it seems like there's no option to set up individual sticks.

Motherboard is a Gigabyte z68ap-d3.

Kayant

current setup
i5-3570k
EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Superclocked ACX 2.0
16gb ddr3

I feel like my CPU is bottle necking my GPU. I want to upgrade it. I'm thinking of getting an i7-5930K, a new mobo and some ddr4 ram. My question is should I wait for skylate CPUs to be released or should I just get the i7-5930k. I don't mind waiting if its right around the corner of being released.

i7-5930K or skylate?

That's why :p an i5 wouldn't bottleneck a 980 or even a Titan X - http://www.techspot.com/review/991-gta-5-pc-benchmarks/page6.html
http://www.computerbase.de/2015-04/...ozessoren-und-kantenglaettung-im-vergleich/2/

Kama_1082

Banned
How does this build sound?

Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core - $189
Gigabyte GA-H97M-HD3 Micro ATX LGA1150-$75
Corsair Vengeance 8GB (1x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory - $68
Seagate 1TB Desktop HDD SATA 6Gb/s 64MB -$50
PNY XLR8 GeForce GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 $319 (not sure on this..is there a better one for the money or am I good? )
Antec Neo Echo 520c ATX12V 520-Watt Power Supply -$65
Windows 8.1 OEM, -$90

total- $857
I already have a case, keyboard, mouse and 1080p monitor.

How does this sound? I'm torn between this and an Alienware Alpha, due to warranty and less hassle.

kiyomi

PNY XLR8 GeForce GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 $319 (not sure on this..is there a better one for the money or am I good? )
Windows 8.1 OEM, -$90

total- $857

How does this sound? I'm torn between this and an Alienware Alpha, due to warranty and less hassle.

couple of things - try to get 2x4GB RAM instead of a single 8GB stick.

the gpu uses a reference cooler design which is tended to be avoided. take a look at the asus strix 970 or the gigabyte windforce 970.

someone might suggest you change the power supply but idk the oem of that model. maybe something like this?

you can get windows 8.1 for dirt cheap on r/microsoftsoftwareswap.

Tc91

Tried setting the frequency to 1866 and installing the new RAM still no boot, tried another setting as well and no boot. I really am confused.

If my motherboard was bad/faulty surely my PC wouldn't boot with my old RAM in? Only thing I can think of now is the different mhz, my old RAM is 1333 but the new stuff is 1866. I don't know if that could be a problem or not.

RGM79

GAF I will be ordering my 2 970's later today but before I do I want to make absolutely sure my mobo will fit them both on fine.

If somebody could please have a look and assure me then all is good!

My mobo is: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8Z68V_PRO/

And the cards I am looking at are: http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=04G-P4-2974-KR

All of this will be going inside a CM Haf 912 case.

Thanks guys!

Looks fine to me. The cards are short enough to fit inside the case and your motherboard supports SLI. Just make sure you have a 750 watt power supply or better, and that it has enough power cables (two 6 pin AND two 6+2 or 8 pin power cables or four 6+2 or 8 pin power cables).

Hey Gaf,
I am a little bit worried about my graphics card and the temps. I got a MSI 290 and have A tv connected to it via HDMI and a Monitor via DVI.

I played the Witcher 2 and it reached temps of aalmost 92'C. Isn't that a little to high ?
I know the 290s are made to get hot, but this seems dangerous to me. The game quit after 3 hours and threw me to the desktop.

Here is a list of my parts and Case. Can I do soomething about ?

PCPartPicker part list: http://de.pcpartpicker.com/p/T7c3Mp
Price breakdown by merchant: http://de.pcpartpicker.com/p/T7c3Mp/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (€249.90 @ Caseking)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G43 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (€95.64 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€79.90 @ Caseking)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€58.89 @ Pixmania DE)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 290 4GB TWIN FROZR Video Card
Case: Corsair Graphite Series 230T Grey ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSC0 DVD/CD Writer (€17.50 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €501.83
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-18 15:20 CEST+0200

How are CPU temperatures? Perhaps your case isn't getting enough airflow. Reviews for that MSI R9 290 seem to say that it should be running at no more than 85 degrees maximum at peak load. Have you tried manually cranking up the fan speed to see if it makes a difference?

http://www.kitguru.net/components/g...c-gaming-edition-review-1600p-ultra-hd-4k/28/
http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_displays/msi_r9_290_gaming_review/3
http://www.custompcreview.com/reviews/review-msi-radeon-r9-290-gaming-4g/19995/14/

If I remember correctly, the old reference R9 290 ran about that hot in reviews (94 degrees according to Guru3D), I'm not sure if they hit any thermal throttling, though. The review does note that AMD said 94 degrees under peak load was "perfectly normal and within specifications".

Damn, I can't order this online?

Nope, it's an in-store deal only.

H4r4kiri

Looks fine to me. The cards are short enough to fit inside the case and your motherboard supports SLI. Just make sure you have a 750 watt power supply or better, and that it has enough power cables (two 6 pin AND two 6+2 or 8 pin power cables or four 6+2 or 8 pin power cables).

How are CPU temperatures? Perhaps your case isn't getting enough airflow. Reviews for that MSI R9 290 seem to say that it should be running at no more than 85 degrees maximum at peak load. Have you tried manually cranking up the fan speed to see if it makes a difference?

http://www.kitguru.net/components/g...c-gaming-edition-review-1600p-ultra-hd-4k/28/
http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_displays/msi_r9_290_gaming_review/3
http://www.custompcreview.com/reviews/review-msi-radeon-r9-290-gaming-4g/19995/14/

If I remember correctly, the old reference R9 290 ran about that hot in reviews (94 degrees according to Guru3D), I'm not sure if they hit any thermal throttling, though. The review does note that AMD said 94 degrees under peak load was "perfectly normal and within specifications".

Hey RGM, I cleaned out my Desktop last month and it has no dust in it. So I would say the airflow should be there. I do not have the reference, but the Twin Forzr.

When I wanted to speed the fans up myseld in Afterburner, it would just not let me do it. It always went back to auto mode...

Saiyan-Rox

That's too bad, then. It's going to be $230 at the cheapest for the processor and another $80~100 for a decent motherboard. Do you already have a good CPU cooler? If not, I recommend the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo ($29) assuming it fits your case.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($226.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.95 @ NCIX US)
Total: $347.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-18 04:04 EDT-0400

I wouldn't go for the blower type reference cooler design. Although it keeps your case from heating up, it also tends to run somewhat louder and warmer than other models. In Guru3D's testing, the reference type cooler was 15 degrees (!) warmer at load than the Gigabyte GTX 980, although it was just 1~2 decibels louder than the Windforce cooler.

I recommend the MSI Gaming 4G model (£450) if you want low noise and good performance. It's clocked faster yet also has a zero fan speed mode when at low temperatures. If you don't care or need a silent fan mode, then there's the Gigabyte Windforce model (also £450) which is also clocked faster and has a very effective triple fan cooler and would likely be best for overclocking. Both the MSI and Gigabyte models will perform closer to the EVGA Superclocked model in terms of performance than the "reference" model from overclockers.co.uk.

As for the power supply, you won't need a new one. The GTX 980 will do just fine on 550 watts.

Thanks for the advice its greatly appreciated. My
Rig has 3 SP120 performance so its quite loud at times already (also has a very annoying hum) so adding more major noise would be even more annoying. I'll look up the gigabyte one now as I hear it has an RMA UK warehouse so if something went wrong it wouldn't take as long to sort out.

So when I get this card my rig will be

i5 3570k (over clocked to 4.2)
12GB RAM
Gigabyte GTX 980
550w PSU

Should be good for a while?

Acrylic7

OK.
I finally got tired of saving up and life's bullshit interruptions. I applied for a very reasonable loan from my bank so now I have the full amount to build my PC.
I just need a little help building the rest of it.

Which Ram speed is best?
and should I go with GTX or Radeon?

Rig used for -
Gaming, Photoshop, Video Editing, etc.

Budget- $1200

Parts (so far)

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($324.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($156.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.49 @ OutletPC)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($12.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $576.40
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-18 13:26 EDT-0400

RGM79

Hello! Friend of mine wants to build a new PC. Gaming is number 1 focus with a budget of about 1000 Euros.

Your Current Specs: Old ass PC, will only take DVD drive, maybe the tower
Budget: Max. 1000 Euros Austria/Germany
Main Use: Gaming 5
Monitor Resolution: No new monitor, 1080p
Game: GTA V should run well, 1080p/60 would be nice if possible. No need for PhysX, SS
When will you build?: In about a month
Will you be overclocking?: Friend doesn't want to, depending on the price and ease of overclocking, I may persuade him.

Non-overclocking so far would be an Intel Xeon E3-1231 v3, 4x 3.40GHz, 256GB SSD (Crucial or Evo), 1 to 2 TB HDD (WD Blue?). Need a robust power supply and motherboard. Graphics card I don't know, maybe a GTX 970? Wait for the new Radeons?

He generally wants to build this PC and never touch it again for the next 5 years.

Thanks!

This build should be in line with what your friend wants.

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (€269.48 @ Home of Hardware DE)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (€33.20 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Motherboard: ASRock H97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (€81.19 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (€68.39 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€78.91 @ Home of Hardware DE)
Video Card: Palit GeForce GTX 970 4GB JetStream Video Card (€350.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Case: Cooler Master N300 ATX Mid Tower Case (€38.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Power Supply: XFX TS 650W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply (€60.16 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €981.12
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-18 19:25 CEST+0200

Unfortunately, it wasn't possible to fit in an SSD. Perhaps if your friend were to reuse his old case and drop down to a cheaper graphics card like the R9 290, there would be room for an SSD like the Crucial BX100 (€97). Perhaps you may also be able to find local deals, as PCPartPicker's German database is not very expansive, it mainly covers prices from amazon.de.

That said, prices are still likely to change in one month's time. The parts list above should be taken as a rough guideline for now, you should recheck prices about a week before you plan to buy.

Hey RGM, I cleaned out my Desktop last month and it has no dust in it. So I would say the airflow should be there. I do not have the reference, but the Twin Forzr.

When I wanted to speed the fans up myseld in Afterburner, it would just not let me do it. It always went back to auto mode...

I know you have the MSI model, I am just saying that AMD says the R9 290 design is normally expected to run at temperatures up to and including 94 degrees. Obviously if you can get lower temperatures it is better, but apparently 92 degrees is OK according to AMD. Try using Catalyst Control Center to control fan speed.

Thanks for the advice its greatly appreciated. My
Rig has 3 SP120 performance so its quite loud at times already (also has a very annoying hum) so adding more major noise would be even more annoying. I'll look up the gigabyte one now as I hear it has an RMA UK warehouse so if something went wrong it wouldn't take as long to sort out.

So when I get this card my rig will be

i5 3570k (over clocked to 4.2)
12GB RAM
Gigabyte GTX 980
550w PSU

Should be good for a while?

Looks fine to me.

You're good to go with that power supply, it has all the cabling you need.

Windows 8.1 OEM, -$90

total- $857

What case do you have?

RedSwirl

Try using WinDirStat to see if you can find out what's taking up space.

This is exactly what I'm using.

What I want to know is basically two things:

1) Can I safely touch anything that's in "Winsys" or "System32"? These put together are taking up a quarter of my SSD's space (it's a 128GB).

2) Is there a way to move my Nvidia files to another drive without impacting performance?

RGM79

OK.
I finally got tired of saving up and life's bullshit interruptions. I applied for a very reasonable loan from my bank so now I have the full amount to build my PC.
I just need a little help building the rest of it.

Which Ram speed is best?
and should I go with GTX or Radeon?

Rig used for -
Gaming, Photoshop, Video Editing, etc.

Budget- $1200

Parts (so far)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($156.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.49 @ OutletPC)
Total: $576.40
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-18 13:26 EDT-0400

Do you live near a Microcenter? They offer very competitive prices on in-store CPU+motherboard bundles. Otherwise with normal pricing, I'd go for a build like this:

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($95.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0 Video Card ($315.04 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair Graphite Series 230T Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1137.40
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-18 13:42 EDT-0400

As the build is, it's quite good and can support SLI in the future. There's still enough money left over to spring for a larger hard drive or SSD. If you can make the trip to a Microcenter, you might be able to fit the newer and better i7 5820K hexacore processor, X99 motherboard, and 16GB DDR4 RAM in your build.

This is exactly what I'm using.

What I want to know is basically two things:

1) Can I safely touch anything that's in "Winsys" or "System32"? These put together are taking up a quarter of my SSD's space (it's a 128GB).

2) Is there a way to move my Nvidia files to another drive without impacting performance?

1. I wouldn't touch or move system files. Windows expects them to be there, you can't really safely move them at all.

2. Nvidia files? You mean things like GeForce Experience? That's safe to move to a different drive.

Thorgal

PC noobish question :

when i was using a specialized resolution my taskbar was transparent which i liked .

But when switching back to standard they turn solid again .

I am pretty sure that there is a setting that changes this but i cannot seem to find it .

Any help ?

RGM79

PC noobish question :

when i was using a specialized resolution my taskbar was transparent which i liked .

But when switching back to standard they turn solid again .

I am pretty sure that there is a setting that changes this but i cannot seem to find it .

Any help ?

Are you looking for Aero transparency settings? Right click on your empty desktop, choose "personalize", and then click on "color" at the bottom.

Acrylic7

Do you live near a Microcenter?

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($95.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair Graphite Series 230T Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1137.40
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-18 13:42 EDT-0400

As the build is, it's quite good and can support SLI in the future. There's still enough money left over to spring for a larger hard drive or SSD. If you can make the trip to a Microcenter, you might be able to fit the newer and better i7 5820K hexacore processor, X99 motherboard, and 16GB DDR4 RAM in your build.
I wish I lived near a Microcenter. I know they always have the best deals when you shop in store but I dont have one in North Carolina sadly.

whats the difference between the Z97A and Z97E? I thought the Z97A was the go-to mobo.
I was looking for a case that looked very simplistic and a side window. Any recommendations?
and whats the difference between these two? http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-video-card-04gp43975kr http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-video-card-04gp42974kr

I might get a new PC soon-ish. I'm probably gonna get a new motherboard and I want it to last, is it wise to invest in one with a 2011-V3 socket or should I stick with LGA1150 ?

kennah

I might get a new PC soon-ish. I'm probably gonna get a new motherboard and I want it to last, is it wise to invest in one with a 2011-V3 socket or should I stick with LGA1150 ?

Assume that nothing will last.

Socket 2011 V3 will 'last' longer, but come with the upfront premium of i7 chips only and DDR4 Ram.

RGM79

I wish I lived near a Microcenter. I know they always have the best deals when you shop in store but I dont have one in North Carolina sadly.

whats the difference between the Z97A and Z97E? I thought the Z97A was the go-to mobo.
I was looking for a case that looked very simplistic and a side window. Any recommendations?
and whats the difference between these two? http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-video-card-04gp43975kr http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-video-card-04gp42974kr
Spec-wise there's not a lot to differentiate the Z97-A and Z97-E, although the A model is marketed as a slightly higher end motherboard. Here's all the differences, everything else that isn't listed is the same. The Z97-E should be more than enough for most users' needs.

The Corsair 230T already has a side window, it's just not very apparent from the small preview picture.
If you're looking for other suggestions, the Bitfenix Comrade (~$60) is a simple case with a case window, although I think the Corsair 230T is the better deal.

The difference between the two graphics cards is that the $315 SSC (Super Superclocked) model includes a new zero fan speed mode for low noise and has a faster factory overclock than the $325 SC (Superclocked) model. The SSC is actually cheaper right now, so it'd be the better buy.

Here's my version of your parts list, it has better RAM, a more reliable hard drive brand, a faster GTX 970, and a slightly better power supply. All in all it comes in about $40 cheaper.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($187.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($71.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 310 ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($87.79 @ OutletPC)
Total: $815.28
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-18 15:11 EDT-0400

If possible, I recommend going with the i5 4690K and a Z97 motherboard, it'll be overclockable and have a longer useful life than the i5 4590. It should only cost a little bit more. It's actually cheaper than going with the i5 4590 and H97 motherboard if you can get the bundle from Microcenter.

If you're willing, Windows 7/8.1 licenses can be bought from reddit's microsoftsoftwareswap for $20 or less. These are most likely legitimate keys that are resold from educational programs like Technet or Dreamspark. However, you are dealing with a person instead of a retailer, and informal Windows keys sales are unapproved by Microsoft and probably breaking some licensing agreement to be clear, but it's not illegal. The risks involved are that the person could be selling you a fake or used key, or that Microsoft may deactivate your license and refuse to reactivate it, although it's somewhat unlikely, usually only if the seller and their list of sold keys was caught. We've had people here using those keys without issues for a long time and others who say Microsoft deactivated their key after several months.

Thorgal

Are you looking for Aero transparency settings? Right click on your empty desktop, choose "personalize", and then click on "color" at the bottom.

yes for some reason it doesn't work on standard settings .

i checked it is running so i am confused why it is not making the taskbar transparent .

Miker

I'm having a problem w/ my brand-new Steelseries Rival, and I figured I'd post here, because it's a very specific problem that doesn't warrant its own thread.

I'm having some issues with mouse button 6 (defaults to CPI switch). No matter what I have it set to in the Steelseries engine/drivers/software, Windows treats it the same as mouse button 4. That means that if I press mouse6, my mouse both goes down to 800CPI /and/ it goes back in the browser. If I have mouse6 set to deactivated in the Steelseries drivers, it /still/ goes back in the browser. Here's the kicker - if I set mouse6 to press "A" on the keyboard, then when I press either mouse6 or mouse4, both of them type "A" and go back.

It's like Windows thinks mouse4 and mouse6 are completely interchangeable. I don't think it's a problem with my mouse or the Steelseries software, so it's gotta be Windows or something else I'm running. I'm on the latest version of the software. Anybody have any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom