• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ88

Thatll look great. Mind linking your parts list? What was your price for all that?

Sure!

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3sDzKZ

I also added a link to the custom cable kit. The price of the case isn't there because few stores have it in stock right now, but Newegg just got stock today and only the silver is still availbale.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0&cm_re=phanteks_glass-_-11-854-040-_-Product

At the end of the day $1,400 give or take. And still haven't bought the graphics card haha.

I have the regular one in grey and it's one of the best case I've ever built. Love it and is built like a tank. It looks amazing too and this is the first case my partner doesn't roll her eyes at lol.

Nice! Yeah I think it's one of the best designs out there.

Sure!

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3sDzKZ

I also added a link to the custom cable kit. The price of the case isn't there because few stores have it in stock right now. But Newegg just got stock today and only the silver is still availbale.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0&cm_re=phanteks_glass-_-11-854-040-_-Product

At the end of the day $1,400 give or take. And still haven't bought the graphics card haha.

Nice! Yeah I think it's one of the best designs out there.

That looks great. I am about to get a brand new rig, I have to change it up now to grab that case since it looks so good.

kennah

I don't suppose there is a nice ITX case with a 3rd expansion slot. That is probably the nichest of niches.

Probably means I will need to go with mATX instead if I change cases since I need at least 3 slots.
I'm not sure what you're asking. Do you mean for a video card that takes up three backplate spaces? Because all itx boards only have one pcie slot.

There are a couple. You'll have to look around. I know the CaseLabs S3 has three spaces. And I'm sure some silver stones do too.
Just realised I have a mini ITX case so probably not an option. Although the 5820k isn't much more expensive than a 6700k, I'll probably stick with the 6700k
There is literally one option for X99 in itx. The asrock X99E-ITX. Kinda expensive and hard to find. But it does include a heat sink and fan.

RGM79

Thanks. There seem to be so many different options within the same price range. EKL alone has so many different coolers. Like what is the difference between the Matterhorn Pure and Brocken 2?

The Brocken 2 costs €7 more, it has a larger 140mm fan compared to the Matterhorn Pure's 120mm fan. The Brocken could be quieter due to the larger fan. It also has a different tower fin design, the differences and benefits of which I am not really knowledgeable about.

I have found some tests involving both the Matterhorn Pure and Brocken by Hardwareluxx and Technic3D, I cannot read German but I assume they will have some insight into how well they work.

23qwerty

So my Steelseries Diablo III mouse's wheel has started acting up...figure its about time for a new KB/Mouse anyway.

Any thoughts on the Logitech G302?

Also thinking about grabbing one of these to replace my current plain ol MS keyboard.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0068INSUM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Steelseries Rival is incredible, I went from the Sensei [Raw] which looks to be about the same as that Diablo 3 mouse to the Rival and it's crazy just how much more I like the Rival.

Hello, I'm back again. I've managed to gather the money together to get my perfect PC build for rendering and gaming together.

I have a question though. Would it be better to get a 1080 or stick with a 980ti? I was mainly wondering if there are any gains when it comes to video rendering or not at all.

Also, here's my build if anyone wants to fix it(Just don't change the case or the Blu-ray drive , I definitely want those.)
Budget - Don't want to go over the current total.
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZKZFf8
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZKZFf8/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($338.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING M5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($167.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Toshiba 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($81.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card ($599.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT Phantom 530 (Black) ATX Full Tower Case ($119.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($78.89 @ OutletPC)
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($45.85 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($83.89 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($29.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1632.34
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-27 02:47 EDT-0400

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Geil should be fine. It's a lesser known brand, but they still offer lifetime warranty, and I don't think I've heard of any issues plaguing their products. The Z170N-Gaming 5 has USB 3.1 support that the Z170N-WIFI model lacks. If you want to see a comparison, take a look at Gigabyte's official comparison page.

The NH-D15 is huge and definitely a big step from the 212 Evo, it'll be very quiet even under load. That said, it will definitely conflict with an optical drive unless you move the outer fan to the other side. Maybe consider the Cryorig or the smaller Noctua NH-U14S coolers.

Sorry, I don't have much experience with water coolers. I recommended a Corsair H55 to my friend and I regretted it. It makes a bubbling noise like a fish tank air pump if I set the speed too high for the fan header that the pump is plugged into.

Appreciate the response. I'm wondering whether to remove the bluray drive and switch to USB for when I need to rip something. Would be a little annoying but then I'd have space for a tall cooler or a 240mm AIO. Hmm.

For the motherboard, I noticed the gaming 5 has a killer NIC and the other has 2x Intel NICs. I don't know much about them but some people don't seem to like killer ones (don't know why). What advantages does USB 3.1 have?

StillEdge

So I built a PC a long time ago and want to upgrade for VR soon and don't know why I failed the Oculus test so hard. I assumed all I would need to do is upgrade the graphics card, but it says I need more 3.0 USB ports which I have no idea how to add more lol and a new processor which at the time was what I thought was the best of the best. So I am asking do I need a better motherboard at all? And what's wrong with my processor.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007KTY4A6/?tag=neogaf0e-20
(Motherboard)
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...mail-_-WebletMain-_-WEBLET101SATSFY-_-Satisfy
(Processor)

Chiggs

Gold Member
Hello, I'm back again. I've managed to gather the money together to get my perfect PC build for rendering and gaming together.

I have a question though. Would it be better to get a 1080 or stick with a 980ti? I was mainly wondering if there are any gains when it comes to video rendering or not at all.

Also, here's my build if anyone wants to fix it(Just don't change the case or the Blu-ray drive , I definitely want those.)
Budget - Don't want to go over the current total.
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZKZFf8
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZKZFf8/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($338.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING M5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($167.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Toshiba 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($81.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card ($599.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT Phantom 530 (Black) ATX Full Tower Case ($119.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($78.89 @ OutletPC)
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($45.85 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($83.89 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($29.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1632.34
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-27 02:47 EDT-0400

GTX 1080 all the way.

RGM79

Appreciate the response. I'm wondering whether to remove the bluray drive and switch to USB for when I need to rip something. Would be a little annoying but then I'd have space for a tall cooler or a 240mm AIO. Hmm.

For the motherboard, I noticed the gaming 5 has a killer NIC and the other has 2x Intel NICs. I don't know much about them but some people don't seem to like killer ones (don't know why). What advantages does USB 3.1 have?

Killer NIC software is gimmicky and usually ineffective, however the Qualcomm-based hardware itself is alright. Here's a comparison of the Killer E2400 and Intel's latest I219-V. The motherboard you're looking at has the Killer E2200, but the differences are very minor. Just install the ethernet driver and don't install the Killer NIC software, it'll be just fine.

USB 3.1 is the newest version of USB and offers dramatically higher speeds. The motherboard also has a USB type C port which is the new slim and reversible connector that will see more use in the future for things like phones and USB drives. You can read more about it here.

So I built a PC a long time ago and want to upgrade for VR soon and don't know why I failed the Oculus test so hard. I assumed all I would need to do is upgrade the graphics card, but it says I need more 3.0 USB ports which I have no idea how to add more lol and a new processor which at the time was what I thought was the best of the best. So I am asking do I need a better motherboard at all? And what's wrong with my processor.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007KTY4A6/?tag=neogaf0e-20
(Motherboard)
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...mail-_-WebletMain-_-WEBLET101SATSFY-_-Satisfy
(Processor)

The processor and motherboard is fine. What were the test results, can you tell us exactly? Maybe show us a screenshot or what it gives you when you click on "save results"? What are your current PC's specs?

You can add extra USB 3.0 ports with a cheap add-in card like this.

KingBroly

Banned
Woke up about 3am and decided 'fuck it' I'm putting my new heatsink in.

About 90 minutes later the job is done. That mounting bracket was A PAIN IN THE FUCKING ASS to put in. Just. It's so flimsy and hard to tighten it at the center. The mother board being in the case I'm sure didn't help matters any, either.

Now the mounting of the back bracket, the removal of the old thermal paste/adding of new paste, and tightening the front bracket screws wasn't much of a problem. It's just that damn center part. I'd have been done about 30 minutes sooner if it weren't designed the way it was. If it gave me just a SMIDGE bit more room I'd have been golden.

Since it's an LGA-1150 board, I ended up having to move my ram over to switches 2 and 4. The fan was like 'right there' and I didn't feel comfortable with it. BTW, the fan is closest to the ram, front to back and not top to bottom. It's running at 29c/84f right now while idle, which is great since my old CPU was at 33-35c idle. It's also a fair bit quieter.

In terms of free space in the case, it is the definition of "snug."

Hitmeneer

I don't think a 950 is what you are looking for...AMD is better for price/performance at the lower end. Maybe a few more bucks can get you an R9 380....?

You can get an MSI one with a rebate right now for $149 US...and 29.99 for 8gb of DDR3....

Of course I don't know where you can buy stuff where you are...or how a Euro compares to a Dollar.

You desperately need more RAM, save a little bit more for a R9 380 too.

Thanks for the advice! I didn't think about the R9 380. From the benchmarks I checked it seems quite more powerful and not much more expensive. In the end I will have to spend a bit more, but it seems like the wise choice..... I will have to check my PSU though, because I read it needs a bit more power then the one of NVIDIA.

kennah

Does anyone know anything about either of these two monitors and whether they are decent in quality and price:

Acer Predator XB270HUDbmiprz 27" 2560x1440 TN G-Sync 144Hz - £374.99

DELL S2716DG 27" 2560x1440 TN G-Sync 144Hz - £389.99

I had the Acer for a few days. Really really fantastic monitor if you have the computer that can run it. Everything is very crisp and bright.

The overclockers info is wrong. The XB270HU is an IPS panel, and it only has a Displayport input, no HDMI.

Ok, I need a bit of help.

I don't want to build a new pc from scratch, but I need to upgrade my 2012 right to make it last a bit more. I don't need to run everything on super high settings, and the kind of games I play are pretty much WoW, Diablo 3... and Doom is what is pressing me to see if I can give it a second life.

This is what I am looking at (from memory, I'm not at home right now):

- Intel i5 2500k (3'3ghz)
- Gigabyte GA Z77-UD3H
- 8Gb DDR3 Corsair Vengeance
- Gigabyte GTX 460 OC 1gb
- Sound Blaster Audigy 4 Pro (why I still use it is a long story)

I'm trying to just up it to 16GB and replace the graphic card, then when I can afford it, build a new rig from scratch. I believe I can find another 8 GB of the same brand and model as the ones I have, but the graphic card... 350€ is the maximum I can afford for it. Is still the GTX 970 a good choice? I don't plan on going full GloriousPCMastergamingrace, just running some games without major hiccups.

Oh, I will probably need a new case, as the card won't fit very well on my... Thermaltake Soprano DX. Yep, I've been using the same monster since 2008.

Since no-one seems to have specific experience with the monitor I've been looking at buying, I'd really appreciate some more general feedback:

I'm currently running a 24-inch 1080p 60Hz monitor. I'd like to graduate to bigger and better things but don't have the money to go full-on 27-32-inch 2K 144Hz. I can most likely afford a monitor that does two out of three: bigger, faster and/or higher-res.

What do you lovely people think I should prioritize?

Since no-one seems to have specific experience with the monitor I've been looking at buying, I'd really appreciate some more general feedback:

I'm currently running a 24-inch 1080p 60Hz monitor. I'd like to graduate to bigger and better things but don't have the money to go full-on 27-32-inch 2K 144Hz. I can most likely afford a monitor that does two out of three: bigger, faster and/or higher-res.

What do you lovely people think I should prioritize?

Well, what do you use your computer for? What CPU and GPU do you have?

This might be an odd question, but here goes...

My desktop has both PCIe 1x and "ye olde" PCI slots in addition to three PCIe 16x slots on its motherboard.

Are there any reasons to opt for a PCI expansion card instead of a PCIe 1x expansion card if I want to add features to the desktop?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ok, I need a bit of help.

I don't want to build a new pc from scratch, but I need to upgrade my 2012 right to make it last a bit more. I don't need to run everything on super high settings, and the kind of games I play are pretty much WoW, Diablo 3... and Doom is what is pressing me to see if I can give it a second life.

This is what I am looking at (from memory, I'm not at home right now):

- Intel i5 2500k (3'3ghz)
- Gigabyte GA Z77-UD3H
- 8Gb DDR3 Corsair Vengeance
- Gigabyte GTX 460 OC 1gb
- Sound Blaster Audigy 4 Pro (why I still use it is a long story)

I'm trying to just up it to 16GB and replace the graphic card, then when I can afford it, build a new rig from scratch. I believe I can find another 8 GB of the same brand and model as the ones I have, but the graphic card... 350€ is the maximum I can afford for it. Is still the GTX 970 a good choice? I don't plan on going full GloriousPCMastergamingrace, just running some games without major hiccups.

Oh, I will probably need a new case, as the card won't fit very well on my... Thermaltake Soprano DX. Yep, I've been using the same monster since 2008.

970 is still decent and you should be able to find a good used one as people upgrade to 1070/1080.

You should also be able to overclock the 2500k which will help a lot - might need a new cooler for that but they aren't expensive.

Well, what do you use your computer for? What CPU and GPU do you have?

Gaming mainly, but also work, so more screen real-estate is a plus. Right now I'm running an i7 875K @ 3.5Ghz, 16Gb DDR3-1600 and a GTX 980.

Looking to upgrade next year to a Skylake i5 or i7 and a 1070.

If you use your PC for both work and play, what would you chose if you could have 2 out of 3 between bigger screen size, higher res or higher freq?

Thanks! Is it safe to run if you don't have an MSI card?

Absolutely. It's an essential tool for any enthusiast :)

Erekiddo

I've upgraded a lot of parts on my PC, and rather than sell my old pieces, I've decided to build a second PC. The rabbit hole deepens.

This is what I currently have on hand in spare parts:

CPU: i5 4750
Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Vengenance
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 760 2GB
Heatsink: Master Hyper 212 EVO

Picking up a case, power supply, hard drive and fans is easy enough - but I have no idea where to even start on motherboards. All of this stuff was in a ASUS Z-87C, which I'd rebuy just for ease, but they've become expensive.

Does anyone have any relatively cheaper options on motherboards that would support this stuff?

Johnnyabatti

Neo Member
I'll be picking up an OEM GTX 1080 once they are released. I will also be purchasing a 1440p 144hz monitor (if anyone has any recommendations on one let me know). Since I will be getting a nvidia card, do I want to spend the extra cash for a G-SYNC monitor (it is within my budget still)? Is it going to make much of a difference?

I've been reading up on it and people seem to like it, saying it is worth it, but I am a bit inexperienced with this stuff so I am not sure.

StillEdge

The processor and motherboard is fine. What were the test results, can you tell us exactly? Maybe show us a screenshot or what it gives you when you click on "save results"? What are your current PC's specs?

You can add extra USB 3.0 ports with a cheap add-in card like this.
This is what I get when I do the SteamVR test and the Oculus test.
Hwt32Io.jpg

IUHNVxf.jpg

Poketune

So I'm looking to upgrade from AMD to Intel and was wondering if anyone could kindly look over my new parts list and give me any recommendations in advance. Just for reference sake, I reside in Canada.

Current components:
CPU: AMD FX 8320 OC 4.0 GHZ
RAM: Kingston Hyper Fury 2x4GB DDR3 1600 Mhz
Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46
GPU: EVGA GTX 750Ti SC 2GB DDR5
PSU: Corsair CX500
Case: Cooler Master K350
HDD: 1TB western digital
SSD: 120GB Patriot SSD

I'll be upgrading the motherboard, cpu and ram to the following:

CPU: i5-6600K
RAM: Kingston Hyper Fury 8GB DDR4 SDRAM 2133 MHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Micro ATX DDR4 LGA 1151 H110M-A/DP

If anyone would be able to give some tips or recommendations, it would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance and have an amazing day.

RGM79

This might be an odd question, but here goes...

My desktop has both PCIe 1x and "ye olde" PCI slots in addition to three PCIe 16x slots on its motherboard.

Are there any reasons to opt for a PCI expansion card instead of a PCIe 1x expansion card if I want to add features to the desktop?

PCI is ancient at this point, the only reason some motherboards still have it is because there's a few old things that might still connect via PCI. In just about all cases, you want PCI-E because it'll be faster.

I've upgraded a lot of parts on my PC, and rather than sell my old pieces, I've decided to build a second PC. The rabbit hole deepens.

This is what I currently have on hand in spare parts:

CPU: i5 4750
Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Vengenance
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 760 2GB
Heatsink: Master Hyper 212 EVO

Picking up a case, power supply, hard drive and fans is easy enough - but I have no idea where to even start on motherboards. All of this stuff was in a ASUS Z-87C, which I'd rebuy just for ease, but they've become expensive.

Does anyone have any relatively cheaper options on motherboards that would support this stuff?

Z87 parts are expensive because they're discontinued. The good news is that any socket 1150 motherboard will do for your needs. How much do you think you'll want to spend on a case, power supply, hard drive, and fans?

This is what I get when I do the SteamVR test and the Oculus test.

Oh, I see. The program can be helpful to those that aren't hardware-savvy, but it's not perfect. For one, your i7 3770K is generally on par or more capable than their recommended i5 processor, so just ignore that part about it thinking your processor being too weak. The part of the test results where it says "frames CPU bound: 0 (0%)" means that your processor wasn't being a bottleneck during the test.

What is true is that you need a better graphics card. You might need a USB 3.0 add-in card like I linked you because it thinks some of the USB 3.0 ports on your PC aren't good enough. I'm not sure why it thinks that, it could be that you haven't updated your drivers in a while.

So I'm looking to upgrade from AMD to Intel and was wondering if anyone could kindly look over my new parts list and give me any recommendations in advance.

Current components:
CPU: AMD FX 8320 OC 4.0 GHZ
RAM: Kingston Hyper Fury 2x4GB DDR3 1600 Mhz
Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46
GPU: EVGA GTX 750Ti SC 2GB DDR5
PSU: Corsair CX500
Case: Cooler Master K350
HDD: 1TB western digital
SSD: 120GB Patriot SSD

I'll be upgrading the motherboard, cpu and ram to the following:

CPU: i5-6600K
RAM: Kingston Hyper Fury 8GB DDR4 SDRAM 2133 MHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Micro ATX DDR4 LGA 1151 H110M-A/DP

If anyone would be able to give some tips or recommendations, it would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance and have an amazing day.

How much do you want to spend? Your i5 6600K will work with that H110 motherboard, but you won't be able to overclock it. If you want the ability to overclock, you will want a Z170 motherboard. Otherwise you could get a cheaper non-overclocking processor like an i5 6500.

Poketune

How much do you want to spend? Your i5 6600K will work with that H110 motherboard, but you won't be able to overclock it. If you want the ability to overclock, you will want a Z170 motherboard. Otherwise you could get a cheaper non-overclocking processor like an i5 6500.

I'm looking to spend no more than $500. If I were to get an i5 6500 non-k would there be much difference in performance between the k and non-k model? If so, I'd rather just get a different motherboard and the 6600k.

I'm looking into ultra wide monitor, to replace my dual monitor setup. It looks pretty awesome for racing game.

Anyways any recommandation for an ultra wide? Not sure where to start looking. In canada if that matters.

Erekiddo

Z87 parts are expensive because they're discontinued. The good news is that any socket 1150 motherboard will do for your needs. How much do you think you'll want to spend on a case, power supply, hard drive, and fans?

I was looking to spend under $200 and I seem to have achieved as such.

Picked up -
Motherboard: Gigabyte LGA 1150
Case: Cooler Master N200
Power: EVGA 500 B1 80+ BRONZE, 500W
Storage: Western Digital 1TB

for $195.

RGM79

I'm looking to spend no more than $500. If I were to get an i5 6500 non-k would there be much difference in performance between the k and non-k model? If so, I'd rather just get a different motherboard and the 6600k.

By default there's not a huge difference, but if you're willing to overclock then the i5 6600K will last a year or three longer than the i5 6500 before it becomes inadequate. Eurogamer has a review of the i5 6500 and they compare it to the i5 6600K. However please ignore the part about overclocking the i5 6500, Intel has mostly put a stop to that because they only want the pricier K model processors to be overclockable.

Anyway, for $500 or less, this should do very well for you:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($233.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($122.67 @ Amazon)
Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($58.99 @ Newegg)
Other: CRYORIG H7 ($34.50)
Total: $450.15
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-27 14:54 EDT-0400

I was looking to spend under $200 and I seem to have achieved as such.

Picked up -
Motherboard: Gigabyte LGA 1150
Case: Cooler Master N200
Power: EVGA 500 B1 80+ BRONZE, 500W
Storage: Western Digital 1TB

for $195.

Which Gigabyte motherboard did you get? Some of the cheaper ones have iffy reviews.

Rheon

Hi guys! Recently got into the wonderful world of PC building (I think I'm a little obsessed..) and have decided to build my first PC in the next month or so when I get some money.

Could I have some feedback on the two below builds?
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/joraell/saved/

Still haven't decided whether I want to go ATX or mATX, but honestly the only reason I want to go with mATX is that sweet BitFenix case lol.

Thanks!

Mattiator

Hello everyone,
Does anyone have a reliable guide to overclocking a i5 3570k asus p8z77-v LK.
I would appreciate any insight :)
Thanks

RGM79

Hello everyone,
Does anyone have a reliable guide to overclocking a i5 3570k asus p8z77-v LK.
I would appreciate any insight :)
Thanks

See here.

Hi guys! Recently got into the wonderful world of PC building (I think I'm a little obsessed..) and have decided to build my first PC in the next month or so when I get some money.

Could I have some feedback on the two below builds?
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/joraell/saved/

Still haven't decided whether I want to go ATX or mATX, but honestly the only reason I want to go with mATX is that sweet BitFenix case lol.

Thanks!

Do you want to overclock? Then go for the i5 6600K and a Z170 motherboard. Otherwise if not, go for an i5 6500 or 6600 and a B150 or H170 motherboard. If you do go with a Z170 motherboard, you can pair it with some faster RAM which can on occasion perform better. You don't need to break the bank, shopping around you can find deals like this 2x8GB kit of 2800MHz DDR4 RAM for just £3 more.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VX1GGWQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Hopefully not a piece of crap. Just trying to put together a budget machine for my bedroom and keep my current beefy PC in my den.

Looks fine to me. I've recommended that motherboard in the past myself. It has a 4/5 rating on Newegg and 3.8/5 on Amazon. Not bad at all for a budget motherboard.

Mattiator

See here.

Do you want to overclock? Then go for the i5 6600K and a Z170 motherboard. Otherwise if not, go for an i5 6500 or 6600 and a B150 or H170 motherboard. If you do go with a Z170 motherboard, you can pair it with some faster RAM which can on occasion perform better. You don't need to break the bank, shopping around you can find deals like this 2x8GB kit of 2800MHz DDR4 RAM for just £3 more.

Looks fine to me. I've recommended that motherboard in the past myself. It has a 4/5 rating on Newegg and 3.8/5 on Amazon. Not bad at all for a budget motherboard.

Thank you so much :)

Rheon

See here.

Thanks for the tips. I think I'll go with the 6600K ultimately. I don't plan on overclocking right now but I might in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom