• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 850 EVO 250 GB is on sale for $90. Is it worth the hassle to move my windows install and set up dual hard drives? Right now I just have one 2 TB 7200 HDD.

e90Mark

Was using the latest version of RealBench.

Pump speed is at maximum (forced in bios). Re-seated the heatsink and reapplied thermal paste ~3 times, it made little difference. Was able to get it to linger at 80C for a bit before jumping up to 100, but still hearing gross noises coming from the pump.

Bought an H100iV2 to replace it, and things are already much better. 4.6ghz @ 1.3V, caps out at 80C under load. Still hot, but at least it's not going to die. Plus it has a nifty purple LED!

Thanks for your help! I almost wonder if some coolant leaked out of the H60 at some point. It sounded like it was trying to push water that wasn't there.

That's exactly what I'm running my 6700k at with the h100i gtx. Never goes above 70-80 on either core under load.

I just did an install in January. Think its worth just reinstalling everything?

And if thats the case then do I need to do anything to move my windows key? I haven't had to do that in years.

Yeah, just reinstall. You might have to phone into Microsoft to reauthorize your Windows key with new hardware, but it's a five minute procedure without any human interaction. Going to an SSD is more than worth the time it takes to reinstall.

luoapp

The 850 EVO 250 GB is on sale for $90. Is it worth the hassle to move my windows install and set up dual hard drives? Right now I just have one 2 TB 7200 HDD.

This should be in the OP, "SSD is the single most effective way to speed up your PC", if you don't have one installed already.

Yeah, just reinstall. You might have to phone into Microsoft to reauthorize your Windows key with new hardware, but it's a five minute procedure without any human interaction. Going to an SSD is more than worth the time it takes to reinstall.

Ok sounds good. Thanks for the help. I'll start making the move today.

NCIX has the Define R5 case I was wanting for $85 and the case fans to match for $10 each. That would save me $40 based on how I was wanting to build.

Good deal?

edit: actually once shipping is factored in the savings pretty much go away...oh well

Temps on load during my last run of RealBench (15min, 4GB) capped out at 85C for core 1, 69-77C for the others. Averaged ~75 for core 1, ~65 for the others.

Temps while gaming (overwatch, 1440p, ultra) cap out at around 65C for core 1, 50-55C for the others.

Haven't tried other tests.

Full specs:

Windows 8.1
i7-6700k @ 4.6, 1.3v
Sapphire Radeon HD 7970, very minor overclock
256GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
ASRock Z170M Extreme4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W modular PSU
Corsair Air 240 MicroATX Mid Tower Case
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Corsair H100iV2 in push/pull with 120mm noctua fans in push, stock fans in pull
80mm Noctua output fan
Stock 120mm corsair output fan
Gotcha. Your temps are fine, I wouldn't bother delidding.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I don't suppose there is a nice ITX case with a 3rd expansion slot. That is probably the nichest of niches.

Probably means I will need to go with mATX instead if I change cases since I need at least 3 slots.

RGM79

Nah never replaced it lol. If I get a new cooler I might as well overclock so yeah. Any experience with the 212X? It seems do be just a few € more.

Yeah I'm not even sure if they are available outside Germany/EU. But they are among the most popular on the site I'm comparing prices on.

What country are you in? We can probably find local recommendations for you, especially if you can link us to a website that you prefer to order from. Geizhals.de (or geizhals.eu if you're not in Germany) is a great place to do comparison shopping for PC parts.

Anyone know if TV's (I have Sony X850C) can display 1440p from PC, or do I have to either choose 1080p or 4K instead?

Which model do you have exactly? There are several different Sony TVs listed under the X850C product line.

Is this thread specifically for pc building questions/problems? I have a few tech issues with my computer and not sure where to ask for help. thanks

Feel free to ask. If you want to cast a wider net for answers, consider asking in the GAF tech support thread as well.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Asking again, as I just sold my 3570k:

Can someone recommend a good value for money mini ITX skylake motherboard that supports overclocking (so that means Z170?) and what ram should go with it.

also what would be a good cooler for a bitfenix prodigy? Bearing in mind the clearance needed for the ram etc. It'd be going into a bitfenix prodigy. I currently use a h60i but the pump noise is a bit grating (everything else is silent if I'm just in Windows). Don't mind air or water. Case has a 230mm intake fan at the front and the h60 has a 120mm radiator with fan acting as exhaust. Will also have a custom 1070/1080 likely blowing into the case. Never had an issue with temps on the h60 even with the slightly warmer air going over the radiator.

RGM79

Asking again, as I just sold my 3570k:

Can someone recommend a good value for money mini ITX skylake motherboard that supports overclocking (so that means Z170?) and what ram should go with it.

also what would be a good cooler for a bitfenix prodigy? Bearing in mind the clearance needed for the ram etc. It'd be going into a bitfenix prodigy. I currently use a h60i but the pump noise is a bit grating (everything else is silent if I'm just in Windows). Don't mind air or water. Case has a 230mm intake fan at the front and the h60 has a 120mm radiator with fan acting as exhaust. Will also have a custom 1070/1080 likely blowing into the case. Never had an issue with temps on the h60 even with the slightly warmer air going over the radiator.

How does this look?
1 x Intel Core i7-6700K, 4x 4.00GHz, boxed without cooler (BX80662I76700K)
1 x GeIL Dragon RAM white IC DIMM kit 16GB, DDR4-3000, CL15-17-17-35 (GWW416GB3000C15DC)
1 x Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5
1 x Noctua NH-D15

Yes, the Noctua NH-D15 will fit in the Bitfenix Prodigy mITX, but it is very cozy. I suppose if you wanted something smaller and/or cheaper then consider the Cooler Master 212 Evo (£26), the Cryorig H5 Universal (£33), the Noctua NH-U14S (£48), etc.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Thanks

Never heard of GeiL ram - is it decent? And there is a lower priced gigabyte motherboard (about £20 cheaper) but if the gaming 5 is better then that's fine.

Cooler I want quiet and good cooking more than cheap. I like noctua fans so if the NH-D15 is notably better than the hyper 212 I could go for that. Looking at those linked pics I wonder if it would have issues with my bluray drive in the top front?

Are there any good AIO water coolers that are quiet? They do save a lot of space around the motherboard area.

ncslamm

I completed my first gaming PC build this morning. It felt amazing to finish, turn the power on, and see it boot up for the first time. It was a little bit intimidating going in blind but everything worked out. I think it took me around 4 hours from start to finish which I know is pretty slow but I was taking my time and reading all of the manuals. I overclocked my CPU and RAM already and started messing around with MSI afterburner. Now I've been playing Overwatch for the past few hours and trying to figure out my best settings. I've got all the graphic settings turned up to ultra and my resolution set on 1080p 144. I'm averaging between 110-150 fps. Overall not too shabby for a first time build. It was a great learning experience and I'm sure I've only just begun.

Azerth

so a friend needs a new gaming pc that they can use to make videos on. are there any builds that are under 1000 that would work?

im still new to the pc building and dont want to mess there build up and waste there money

LilJoka

Thanks

Never heard of GeiL ram - is it decent? And there is a lower priced gigabyte motherboard (about £20 cheaper) but if the gaming 5 is better then that's fine.

Cooler I want quiet and good cooking more than cheap. I like noctua fans so if the NH-D15 is notably better than the hyper 212 I could go for that. Looking at those linked pics I wonder if it would have issues with my bluray drive in the top front?

Are there any good AIO water coolers that are quiet? They do save a lot of space around the motherboard area.

Geil is good ram.

It's a feature built into Windows so I don't think it could be.

Oh right ha.

xkramz

gOHZAIq.jpg

is this normal on GPU usage?

im kinda worried about that fluctuation

DBT85

Well after a few hours tinkering my 6700k is happy at 4.7 and 1.4v. If I try for 4.8 it gets upset even at 1.42v and if I try and drop the voltage on 4.7 I get a core fail in prime but it doesn't crash the machine.

Only things I've poked so far are core voltage and llc though.

Also bought my first keyboard in 15 years, a Mionix Zibal MX Black. Only £50 from OCUK which is nice for a mechanical kb I think.

It's replacing this relic that I still love.

Also ordered some Bitfenix alchemy 2 cables to make myself up some 20cm extensions to add some pretty.

Still holding my finger over a basket of ekwb toys too.

RGM79

Thanks

Geil should be fine. It's a lesser known brand, but they still offer lifetime warranty, and I don't think I've heard of any issues plaguing their products. The Z170N-Gaming 5 has USB 3.1 support that the Z170N-WIFI model lacks. If you want to see a comparison, take a look at Gigabyte's official comparison page.

The NH-D15 is huge and definitely a big step from the 212 Evo, it'll be very quiet even under load. That said, it will definitely conflict with an optical drive unless you move the outer fan to the other side. Maybe consider the Cryorig or the smaller Noctua NH-U14S coolers.

Sorry, I don't have much experience with water coolers. I recommended a Corsair H55 to my friend and I regretted it. It makes a bubbling noise like a fish tank air pump if I set the speed too high for the fan header that the pump is plugged into.

gOHZAIq.jpg

is this normal on GPU usage?

im kinda worried about that fluctuation

It's shifting up and down kind of frequently because it's trying to save power, I guess. It's not really going to be bad for the GPU, running at high usage will stress it more.

RGM79

so a friend needs a new gaming pc that they can use to make videos on. are there any builds that are under 1000 that would work?

im still new to the pc building and dont want to mess there build up and waste there money

If you could fill out the questionnaire from the first post of this thread, that would help us figure out a complete list of recommendations. Does your friend need anything like keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, etc? Are there any parts from his old PC that he wants to keep?

Azerth

If you could fill out the questionnaire from the first post of this thread, that would help us figure out a complete list of recommendations. Does your friend need anything like keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, etc? Are there any parts from his old PC that he wants to keep?

ok ill have to get some of the information as i dont have it all right now

what i do know is that she doesn't need a monitor, mouse, keyboard, or speakers. and her current computer is a store bought dell gaming pc

she games but doesn't really play graphic heavy games. she needs a comp that can run the game well and be good enough to make/edit videos

appaws

Banned
With the current gen consoles getting re-releases, I am thinking of just migrating completely to PC. I am a bit sour towards consoles now. I have not really ever done PC gaming. This PC will be a primary work machine, as well.

So, I don't really know too much, but I was thinking of trying to spend $1,000 to $1,500. I can put the machine together, of course. I was wondering, though, can anyone recommend some decent parts? I assume a $1,500 PC will be superior to a Neo or Xbox 1.5.

Alright guys. I have 1000 burning a hole in my pocket.

I want to build a computer. Rather, my friend is going to build it.

Can you guys tell me what parts / software to buy? Only hard requirements are I need it to have a wireless adapter and be oculus compatable

Start with the OP. Then people can answer more specific questions.

So I've just noticed that the temps on my 3570K reach around 90°C while gaming, sometimes even touching 100°C so that can't be good. It's running stock with the stock cooler.

So what cooler should I get? The 212 Evo? I saw that the successor 212X was also available. Also EKL Alpenföhn seems to be popular, anyone got experience with those?

Those temps seem really high, even for a stock cooler, for just gaming.

The 212 Evo is the old standby for a reason, it is really good. I think they are clearing out the remaining stock of them now in favor of the 212X, cause I see them marked down to $25 at places.

appaws

Banned
ok ill have to get some of the information as i dont have it all right now

what i do know is that she doesn't need a monitor, mouse, keyboard, or speakers. and her current computer is a store bought dell gaming pc

she games but doesn't really play graphic heavy games. she needs a comp that can run the game well and be good enough to make/edit videos

By "edit videos" what do you mean? Does she do it for a living or something where she needs a lot of power? Or just the odd Youtube video here and there, so a "good enough" rig for using premier or whatever would be fine?

gamma

What country are you in? We can probably find local recommendations for you, especially if you can link us to a website that you prefer to order from. Geizhals.de (or geizhals.eu if you're not in Germany) is a great place to do comparison shopping for PC parts.

Yeah I'm using geizhals (Germany). The Alpenföhns seem to be popular so I'm not sure if I should go with those or the 212

Mugsy

This is an accessory and not a PC building question but what hardware/software is best for backups? I am looking for a local backup option and not an online service. I am worried about my hard drive (1TB along with 200GB SSD) failing but not my house burning down.

ncslamm

Any recommendations (other than those in the OP) for a mic? I'm using the Sennheiser 280 Pro Headphones and need something for communication in games, voice commands, and skype. I'd rather not spend a lot of money on it so whatever would give me the best quality for $50 or less.

Gotcha. Your temps are fine, I wouldn't bother delidding.

Counter opinion: Delid that Skylake chip. Your temps are fine but they could be 10-20 degrees Celsius cooler after a delid. You could have the same clock speed with with quieter fans, or you could probably get that 6700k moving faster.

quesalupa

Looking into buying a new graphics card soon. Does anybody know how much more the price of the 980 ti was over the 980 at launch? Is the same gap expected between the 1080 and 1080 ti? Thanks.
Kinda want to upgrade now but am willing to hold off if the price difference isn't usually terribly bad.

Hey guys. My friend finally installed his new cpu, an AMD 9590 I believe but hes not getting a picture now. If he takes out the CMOS battery and puts it back in and restarts he gets a picture and asks to run a bios setup or load with default settings. If he hits default it loads for a second then no picture again.

Any help? All the fans are working including the new 212 evo fan he bought.

Edit: somehow got it working. Not sure how but now windows is saying it can't boot up correctly and is trying to restore from a previous point. Just have a Windows logo now so I'm hoping it fixes itself.

Instro

Are there any other good budget clip on mics? The DX one listed in the OP is sold out. I recall there being a cheap Zalman one a year or two ago that everyone liked, is that still around/good?

DJ88

Well I'm pretty excited. After years of planning on buying a PC, going through all the different options in my head plus the daunting task of deciding what parts to buy, I've finally hit confirm order on all the parts except the graphics card which will be as soon as the AIB 1080's are released. Since I figured there wont be many other times I get to start from scratch like this and make every piece of this PC gel with each other, I decided to go all out and make it function and look as best as I could within reason. I had a lot of money saved up during this long wait.

Decided to go with a very monochrome black & white theme and I'm so fucking psyched to start building.

Motherboard:
MSI Z170A Krait Gaming 3X

CPU:
Intel Core i7-6700K

CPU Cooler:
Corsair H110i GT

RAM:
GeIL Super Luce White LED 8GB X 4

Cables:
CableMod Cable Kit - Black/White

PSU:
Corsair RM750X

Hard Disk Drive:
WD Blue 1TB Desktop

SSD
Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" 500GB

All inside the new Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass Case:

CA056PT_140601_800x800.jpg

Quick question...

I'm looking to get a Fractal Design Define R5 case and would like to know if 2 intake fans on the front and 1 exhaust in the back would provide enough cooling to go along with a 212 EVO. The CPU would be a 6700K with maybe a small bit of OC in the future. The case comes with 2 fans and all I'd have to do is buy 1 more. Or should I have an intake fan on the bottom as well?

Well I'm pretty excited. After years of planning on buying a PC, going through all the different options in my head plus the daunting task of deciding what parts to buy, I've finally hit confirm order on all the parts except the graphics card which will be as soon as the AIB 1080's are released. Since I figured there wont be many other times I get to start from scratch like this and make every piece of this PC gel with each other, I decided to go all out and make it function and look as best as I could within reason. I had a lot of money saved up during this long wait.

Decided to go with a very monochrome black & white theme and I'm so fucking psyched to start building.

Motherboard:
MSI Z170A Krait Gaming 3X

CPU:
Intel Core i7-6700K

CPU Cooler:
Corsair H110i GT

RAM:
GeIL Super Luce White LED 8GB X 4

Cables:
CableMod Cable Kit - Black/White

PSU:
Corsair RM750X

Hard Disk Drive:
WD Blue 1TB Desktop

SSD
Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" 500GB

Thatll look great. Mind linking your parts list? What was your price for all that?

I'm already up and running with my new SSD. Thanks for all of the help again everyone. A fresh install was a good idea. Clean out some shit.

Instro

Quick question...

I'm looking to get a Fractal Design Define R5 case and would like to know if 2 intake fans on the front and 1 exhaust in the back would provide enough cooling to go along with a 212 EVO. The CPU would be a 6700K with maybe a small bit of OC in the future. The case comes with 2 fans and all I'd have to do is buy 1 more. Or should I have an intake fan on the bottom as well?

The extra front one is more than enough. Unless you are doing severe overclocking, you shouldn't have to worry about cooling too much given how power/heat conscious current hardware is.

So before I begin the process of replacing a hard drive, I opened up computer management and I notice this
2UiJKe1.jpg

There is System Reserved partition on Disk 1. All it says is Healthy, Active Primary Partition — not sure why since there shouldn't be any kind of system files on that drive.

When I installed Windows 7 on the main drive, I did so without any other hard drive connected. I upgraded to Windows 10 a few weeks ago and I'm wondering if it added that System Reserved to that drive during the process. I'm just worried that this is going to be an issue. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I have the regular one in grey and it's one of the best case I've ever built. Love it and is built like a tank. It looks amazing too and this is the first case my partner doesn't roll her eyes at lol.

RGM79

Yeah I'm using geizhals (Germany). The Alpenföhns seem to be popular so I'm not sure if I should go with those or the 212

I would go with the EKL Alpenföhn Matterhorn Pure (€31). It costs nearly the same as the 212 Evo and 212X, but the six heatpipes allow it to perform somewhat better compared to the Cooler Master heatsinks' four heatpipe design.

This is an accessory and not a PC building question but what hardware/software is best for backups? I am looking for a local backup option and not an online service. I am worried about my hard drive (1TB along with 200GB SSD) failing but not my house burning down.

I like Macrium Reflect's free version. The free version has been more than handy enough for my needs. The paid versions just add more features that aren't really necessary for home users.

What kind of cloth do I need to install a new cooler onto a CPU? This is to remove thermal paste from the CPU.

I just use paper towels, even toilet paper sometimes. No special cloth is needed.

Quick question...

That's already pretty decent. If you look up reviews of the Define R5, they will test the case's temperature and airflow performance so you can get an idea of what sort of temperatures to expect. In any case, it's highly unlikely you'll need more fans unless you're running very hot temperatures for some reason (hot local climate, etc).

So before I begin the process of replacing a hard drive, I opened up computer management and I notice this
2UiJKe1.jpg

There is System Reserved partition on Disk 1. All it says is Healthy, Active Primary Partition — not sure why since there shouldn't be any kind of system files on that drive.

When I installed Windows 7 on the main drive, I did so without any other hard drive connected. I upgraded to Windows 10 a few weeks ago and I'm wondering if it added that System Reserved to that drive during the process. I'm just worried that this is going to be an issue. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Unplug that hard drive and see if you can still boot. If you can't, then that means the bootloader is on that small partition of disk 1. Reconnect the hard drive and you'll be able to boot again.

Somehow my ethernet controller broke when I did the fresh install. I don't see any drivers on Gigabyte's website and when I right click to search the internet for the drivers it can't find anything. Any ideas on how to get it to work?

Somehow my ethernet controller broke when I did the fresh install. I don't see any drivers on Gigabyte's website and when I right click to search the internet for the drivers it can't find anything. Any ideas on how to get it to work?

Look on Gigabyte's support site for LAN driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom