• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

draliko

It's useful to an extent. But it's ultimately an artificial test that won't necessarily reflect actual gaming performance. When I had corrupt CPU drivers which were crippling my performance in games, the 3Dmark tests ran just fine.
So any suggestion on how to check if everything is fine? Other than oc stress test for system stability.

draliko

Honestly? Just use it, compare its performance to references you can find online. What are you working with?
R5 1600, gtx1070, 16gb ram, 850 evo ssd, waiting for the cooler to ship to oc it a bit (should arrive today).
Yesterday I tried the fh3 demo but I don't know if it's the right game to check, what I did notice even at 70% CPU and 70% GPU the game was stuttering while aiming for 1080p/60 on mixed ultra/high. Being that a uwp game I thought that was the cause for the performance problems. I will probably buy something during steam sales to test everything, maybe doom, dishonored2 or I don't know... I've got ds3, could that be a good game to check performance?

R5 1600, gtx1070, 16gb ram, 850 evo ssd, waiting for the cooler to ship to oc it a bit (should arrive today).
Yesterday I tried the fh3 demo but I don't know if it's the right game to check, what I did notice even at 70% CPU and 70% GPU the game was stuttering while aiming for 1080p/60 on mixed ultra/high. Being that a uwp game I thought that was the cause for the performance problems. I will probably buy something during steam sales to test everything, maybe doom, dishonored2 or I don't know... I've got ds3, could that be a good game to check performance?

Hm. I would have expected a 1070 to absolutely crush that, though being a demo, maybe it has issues.

Doom would probably be good as a 1080p framerate test. Not actually a too demanding game, so have FRAPS on and V-sync off, see how high it gets - compare to others with the same. DS3 isn't usually done but should have a locked 60 at 1080p be quite possible.

draliko

Hm. I would have expected a 1070 to absolutely crush that, though being a demo, maybe it has issues.

Doom would probably be good as a 1080p framerate test. Not actually a too demanding game, so have FRAPS on and V-sync off, see how high it gets - compare to others with the same. DS3 isn't usually done but should have a locked 60 at 1080p be quite possible.

I was expecting the same instead I got stuttering and not more than 80% usage even on useless ultra everything so I don't know what could it be, I even pushed the ram to 2933 stable

Probably the demo use old code

Reposting again for new page, I'd like to get some eyes on this.

Hey everyone! Long time since I last posted here :)

It's summer over here and it's damn hot (think 35C/95F), and under stress my stock 6700K goes up into the high 70s Celsius. I've decided my AIO purchase was ill-advised (CM Nepton 140XL) despite some great reviews, and am thinking of switching back to good old air-cooling.

I will OC at one point so I want something good, and I'm debating between the Noctua NH-U14S, NH-D15 and Phanteks TC14PE.

Case is a Fractal R5 so clearance shouldn't be an issue from that standpoint, but I'm worried about RAM and PCI clearance.

RAM is G.Skill Ripjaws V and mobo is Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI. Does anyone by any chance have one/both of those + the coolers I mentioned? How's clearance? How are your temps?

Can anyone help?

draliko

Can anyone help?
I'd go with the d15, great reviews but a bit pricey, take a look at the bequiet rock series, great bang for the bucks it seems.
You should check for clearance on their site, I also have ripjaws rams and they're not as big as I thought

Celcius

°Temp. member

Can anyone help?

I'd recommend the Noctua NH-D15.
RipJawsV is 42mm tall and by default the front fan on the noctua has 32mm of clearance, however you can move the front fan up 10mm to give yourself 42mm of clearance and the total height of the cooler will now be 175mm instead of 165mm, which is still below the fractal r5's 180mm cpu cooler height limit. The Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI is listed as fully compatible with the NH-D15 so you shouldn't have any clearance issues as far as pci slots.

Sources:
https://www.gskill.com/en/faq/DRAM_Memory
http://noctua.at/en/nh-d15/specification
http://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/define-series/define-r5-black
http://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail/nh-d15/comp

ISee

Can anyone help?

If you're worrying about RAM clearance take a look at the Cryorig R1 Universal. I recently bought one and I really love it. Great performance and it doesn't block stuff on my mb because of the compact form factor. Performance wise it is just slightly less powerful than the NH-D15. I can reach 4.8GHz on my 7700k @~80°C in prime95 with AVX.

Powerspec PCs are great. They pretty much use off the shelf parts, the only thing that is proprietary per say is their chassis I think and even those are based on regular standards. Would definitely recommend if you don't feel like building PCs or aren't comfortable with them, or just want to get something that works with little hassle.

Should be fairly easy to upgrade and replace parts too.

Yeah, I built 2 PCs in the past and wanted to just go with an easy solution. Price seemed very reasonable and any increase coming from "labor" costs was worth it to me.

I'd be curious what power supply they put in that. It says the wattage, but just curious the brand. Looks like a great build for the price. I'm honestly really surprised, I have such a bad opinion of pre-builts, but this seems legit.

I will take a look tonight and let you know.

It should be great. You May also want to consider that you can get the same basic system for less if you get the 405 and pop in whatever video card you want.

I was thinking about this too. Get the 405 and just use my existing 1060 6gb in addition to the HDs from my old build. In the end, I just decided to say fuck it and grab this one. It has been 6 years since my last refresh.

I'd go with the d15, great reviews but a bit pricey, take a look at the bequiet rock series, great bang for the bucks it seems.
You should check for clearance on their site, I also have ripjaws rams and they're not as big as I thought

I'd recommend the Noctua NH-D15.
RipJawsV is 42mm tall and by default the front fan on the noctua has 32mm of clearance, however you can move the front fan up 10mm to give yourself 42mm of clearance and the total height of the cooler will now be 175mm instead of 165mm, which is still below the fractal r5's 180mm cpu cooler height limit. The Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI is listed as fully compatible with the NH-D15 so you shouldn't have any clearance issues as far as pci slots.

Sources:
https://www.gskill.com/en/faq/DRAM_Memory
http://noctua.at/en/nh-d15/specification
http://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/define-series/define-r5-black
http://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail/nh-d15/comp

If you're worrying about RAM clearance take a look at the Cryorig R1 Universal. I recently bought one and I really love it. Great performance and it doesn't block stuff on my mb because of the compact form factor. Performance wise it is just slightly less powerful than the NH-D15. I can reach 4.8GHz on my 7700k @~80°C in prime95 with AVX.

Thank you all very much! The D15 is indeed pricey, but seems worth it. I was interested in the Phanteks TC14PE because I've read some really good reviews of it and it's about 15€ cheaper, so I was wondering whether anyone had experience with it.

Will probably end up going for the D15 though. How hard is it to install? I'm also worried about my mobo since it's really heavy, is there anything I can do to support it or something?

Also, should I just fill all of my case's slots with fans for the summer? Maybe get some Noctua NF-A14s and have two in front as intake, one on the back plus maybe 2 on top as exhaust?

kmfdmpig

Yeah, I built 2 PCs in the past and wanted to just go with an easy solution. Price seemed very reasonable and any increase coming from "labor" costs was worth it to me.

I will take a look tonight and let you know.

I was thinking about this too. Get the 405 and just use my existing 1060 6gb in addition to the HDs from my old build. In the end, I just decided to say fuck it and grab this one. It has been 6 years since my last refresh.

It is such a great feeling to jump from old to new. I just replaced an 8 year old system with a new one and it is like night and day (unsurprisingly).

I found someone locally who built my system for $40, but when I was thinking about buying one I was focused on the Powerspec ones as well.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Noctua coolers are known for being easy to install and work with, and I can attest to that after using my NH-D14 in several builds over the years.

Parsnip

I've been using Noctua's NH-U12P since January 2008, built to last.

Hey dudes, what's the scoop on Samsung's SSD 850 EVO drives now? I seem to remember there being some performance degradation issues with some of the Samsung drives, was the 850 EVO line part of that? Is it fixed now?

Or alternately, recommend me a 500gb sata ssd in case the 850 EVO line is poop?

How could someone determine if they have positive pressure, negative pressure, or equal pressure within their case? Trying to decide how to arrange my fans for my ThermalTake Core V21.

How could someone determine if they have positive pressure, negative pressure, or equal pressure within their case? Trying to decide how to arrange my fans for my ThermalTake Core V21.

IIRC, I *think* that:
If your total intake CFM is higher than your total exhaust CFM you have positive pressure.
If your total intake CFM is lower than your total exhaust CFM you have negative pressure.

Pretty sure there's a bit more to it than that but that should cover the basics.

IIRC, I *think* that:
If your total intake CFM is higher than your total exhaust CFM you have positive pressure.
If your total intake CFM is lower than your total exhaust CFM you have negative pressure.

Pretty sure there's a bit more to it than that but that should cover the basics.

Ah so I should look at th CFM ratings of my fans and add it up basically and subtract from each other to determine if it's positive or negative.

Ah so I should look at th CFM ratings of my fans and add it up basically and subtract from each other to determine if it's positive or negative.

Something like that, yeah. I'm sure there are people here who know a lot more about it than I do. Best of my knowledge, negative pressure will also draw in more dust but positive pressure may not be as good for cooling.

Maybe try equal pressure? If all your fans are the same you could have two in front, one at the bottom as intake and one at the back, two at the top as exhaust.

Smokey

I need some advice about upgrading my 5-6 year old PC (W10, 64bit, and UEFI, for that matter). My knowledge when it comes to hardware is fairly limited, but I believe only the video card needs to be upgraded. Here's my specs:

CPU: i7-2600K
RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 Mhz
GPU: ASUS GTX 570
PSU: Antec high current gamer 750w
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 (Rev 3.1)
Case: Antec Solo II
Further, I have a liquid cooler (Antec KÜHLER H2O 620) for the CPU and a small fan (120mm) that came with the case.

So, what do I want to do? I want to be able to play current, and upcoming, more demanding games with good settings (medium/high or better) and 60fps at minimum. It doesn't have to be a monster. Game examples: Dishonored 2, Prey, DOOM, Wolfenstein 2, Nier Automata.

I mainly use it for games. I don't use any demanding software.

My setup? Single screen at 1080p with 60hz. This will not change.

My own thoughts! From what I can tell, not much as happened on the market apart from GPU. My specs should be fine otherwise. I'm not entirely sure, however, if a GTX 1060 or 1070 is preferred. Personally, I believe a 1060 should be fine for another ~5 years considering my setup and the fact I won't pursue 1440p etc. Yet, I want to hear others' thoughts on this matter.

Similarly, I'd like advice as what brand to go with. ASUS, MSI or something else?
What's the main differences and what do I look for in cards? Similarly, 6GB should be better than 3GB, right? Heck, even then there's other things like Dual or Strix Gaming when it comes to ASUS...

---

I apologize if it seems I'm leaving much up to whoever reads this. I'd be happy if just for a few pointers on how to start understanding key details on card descriptions.

Also, any idea how I can find out which cards have faster memory from the recent upgrade before purchase?

The 2600k is getting up there, but if you have a OC you should be ok at 1080p for some time. As far as your GPU, if you're planning to keep it for the length of time you say, then 1070 is worth the price increase over the 1060.

Main differences between cards are power draw and number of fans. The Asus Dual has 2 and the Strix has 3 for example. Differences between brands really comes down to warranty and coverage. EVGA is going to be the best in this area, and who I would go with. I've had plenty of ASUS stuff and had a 1060 Dual and 1079 Strix at one time, they were fine, but the thing with Asus is if you have any issues you have to deal with their customer support and it's awful.

Dont buy a 3GB card in this day and age, it's a waste of money especially if you plan to hold onto the card for an extended period of time.

JWiLL

Banned
So...when I built my PC in December I went with a Zotac AMP 1070 (phenomenal card). It was $700 (Canadian) after taxes, as I caught it on sale for 629 if I recall correctly.

When the Destiny 2 deal came up I decided to do bit of an upgrade, couldn't justify a $1200 1080Ti (yes, they can be that much in Canada) so I opted for a 1080. The plan was to sell my 1070 for ~$500 and was fine with spending $300 for the upgrade + free game (which is about $90 here).

I had NO idea this mining craze would boost GPU prices literally a week later. This same model is now sold out across Canada...and the only available option (1 left in stock) on Amazon.ca is @ $888.50

Talk about lucky timing. I can probably get $750 for it this weekend on Kijiji quite easily.

I got an EVGA FTW2 iCX 1080 w/ the new 11gbps memory for $800. $50 for a 25-30% performance boost + Destiny 2. Amazing.

Something like that, yeah. I'm sure there are people here who know a lot more about it than I do. Best of my knowledge, negative pressure will also draw in more dust but positive pressure may not be as good for cooling.

Maybe try equal pressure? If all your fans are the same you could have two in front, one at the bottom as intake and one at the back, two at the top as exhaust.

Thanks, I'll look into it a bit further before I start putting in any fans. I unfortunately have basically 4-5 different models of fans in varying sizes (my case can take all the sizes thankfully) so it won't be easy to make an identical air flow situation, but I'm sure I can figure out something. This helped me get on the right track with some terms to Google, so thanks again!

What cooler would you recommend to replace a cooler master hyper 212 EVO?
edit: I need it to cool a 7700K. Air Cooler preferably

Knowing how hot it runs... I'd go for the best damn air cooler available. Which I think is the Noctua D15? I don't know....

I went with an AIO which is working great, but a little more expensive.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I was going to try to raise my 7700k overclock from 4.7ghz to 4.8ghz but the additional voltage and heat just isn't worth it for the minimal actual gain. Non-soldered IHS + avx/avx2/fma3 = am cry :(

So, uh, anyone got a suggestion on a good screw driver for working on computers? Your tool of choice perhaps?

Most of the time I just use a regular long philips screw driver but I also have a shorter philips screwdriver with a magnetic head that's great for installing the screws into motherboard standoffs to secure the motherboard in place.

I was going to try to raise my 7700k overclock from 4.7ghz to 4.8ghz but the additional voltage and heat just isn't worth it for the minimal actual gain. Non-soldered IHS + avx/avx2/fma3 = am cry :(

I actually lowered mine from 5Ghz to 4.8Ghz because... summer heat.

So, uh, anyone got a suggestion on a good screw driver for working on computers? Your tool of choice perhaps?

ffa6E1QEhsXrMLog.large

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Tools/64-Bit-Driver-Kit/IF145-299-1

This was a Christmas present. But I love it.

Magwik

Banned
While I wait for Vega I may as well take advantage of the Microcenter Ryzen bundle offer

Current build:
i5-4590 3.3GHz
GTX 1060 3GB
2 x 8GB Hyper FuryX 1866MHz DDR3
Gigbyte Z97-HD3 motherboard
1TB HDD
500W PSU

Prospected build:
Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz
GTX 1060 3GB
2 x 8GB Crucial 2400MHz DDR4
ASUS PRIME X370-PRO mobo
120GB SSD + 1TB HDD
650W Modular PSU

Any good multiheaded screwdriver should do. Particularly if going with intel, since they use torx screws to hold down the CPU.

Most of the time I just use a regular long philips screw driver but I also have a shorter philips screwdriver with a magnetic head that's great for installing the screws into motherboard standoffs to secure the motherboard in place.

Thanks for the responses! Will getting a magnetic screw driver mess with some of the components or is this just a myth?

Protein

Banned
I'm conflicted. I'm not sure if I should go for a Ryzen 5 1600 system or keep my current i5 6600k setup. I was expecting a huge performance leap in benchmarks but it seems only 5-10 FPS difference. Am I better off waiting?

Thanks for the responses! Will getting a magnetic screw driver mess with some of the components or is this just a myth?

No harm whatsoever.

Yeah, the magnetic effect in a screwdriver is piss weak and won't affect your electronics.

I'm conflicted. I'm not sure if I should go for a Ryzen 5 1600 system or keep my current i5 6600k setup. I was expecting a huge performance leap in benchmarks but it seems only 5-10 FPS difference. Am I better off waiting?

For gaming purposes, yeah, you'll be fine as you are.

Follow-up question to my earlier post about buying a cooler:

My AIO currently doubles as my rear exhaust, but I'm switching to air. Case came with two fans which I've mounted as front intakes. Want to keep them there but what fans should I get as rear/top exhaust?

Also, front intake fans are currently connected to the case's integrated fan control mechanism, should I connect them (and the new exhaust fans I'll get) to the mobo directly instead?

What GPU are you running? I wouldn't go for that upgrade unless you really wanted the extra cores for something, or are otherwise confirmed CPU bound in some game.

dcx4610

I know it's Noctua's trademark but man I wish they would offer their coolers in black as an option over brown and beige. I just can't do that.

kmfdmpig

Any word on when the 7740k will be released? Would it be unwise to grab that instead of waiting on Coffee Lake?

The early reviews of the 7740 have not been kind, although it's hard to tell how much of that is just many bios/mb's not being ready. It might be worth spending the extra $50 for the 6 core 7800.

AtlantiC_CodeX

Neo Member
I got the TP-Link TL-WA850RE for about 20 €. That should be the ballpark, but whatever you buy, make sure it also acts as an ethernet router since that avoids the issue with bad Wifi adapters and keeps your ping low.

I forgot to mention though that I only have a 30 MBit cable connection, so I don't know whether it will also deliver if you have a much faster fibre connection. Maybe you can buy one from Amazon and send it back if you're not satisfied.

Thanks, Just ordered it today. Found it on Amazon for 20$ with only 7 left in stock.

Hope this will fix the speed problem, my internet is about 30mb also which makes it frustrating when i get around half or quarter of that.

rob_lh

Neo Member
Guys, I've been working on a tool and I was hoping for the community's feedback. I get it's self-promotional but I think it'll help people make better hardware decisions. If it's spam, I accept the mods' wrath.

I wanted to make it easier to visualize gaming performance, so we made this tool: http://amdahlcube.com. Basic idea was to match component colors to get a system of that level.

jekLM86.gif

Next was to add in this health bar that shows what CPU affects and what GPU affects.

hUoZ9Pa.gif

For all the basic questions about "does this CPU still hold up" or "do I need a new GPU", I figure this can give you a pretty good idea. Most of the older Intel stuff from 2nd gen on holds up really well.

It's still new, but I figured it's a better way of combining performance and pricing. It only covers FPS and Open World games right now, but I feel pretty good about the recs handling any 2017 AAA title. Lemme know if it's helpful to you or if you've got questions about how it works.

Guys, I've been working on a tool and I was hoping for the community's feedback. I get it's self-promotional but I think it'll help people make better hardware decisions. If it's spam, I accept the mods' wrath.

I wanted to make it easier to visualize gaming performance, so we made this tool: http://amdahlcube.com. Basic idea was to match component colors to get a system of that level.

jekLM86.gif

Next was to add in this health bar that shows what CPU affects and what GPU affects.

hUoZ9Pa.gif

For all the basic questions about "does this CPU still hold up" or "do I need a new GPU", I figure this can give you a pretty good idea. Most of the older Intel stuff from 2nd gen on holds up really well.

It's still new, but I figured it's a better way of combining performance and pricing. It only covers FPS and Open World games right now, but I feel pretty good about the recs handling any 2017 AAA title. Lemme know if it's helpful to you or if you've got questions about how it works.

While I'm not sure if this is the right thread for it either, I actually really like this concept! I think it would benefit from specific game references rather than abstracts like 'first person shooter' and 'open world', but this is actually a really neat base for something I'd like to see become standard. Getting a quick, visual reference for how your system will perform, and where bottlenecks lie is really nice.

But I do stress it being a base. For some reason a GTX 970's info was unavailable, and admittedly I do have parts that just aren't listed. Some of that I recognise as being down to sheer age - my current PSU is a spare from my Dad's old rig - but I bought the Kolink Aviator case I'm currently using only a few weeks ago, and my Toshiba harddrive (admittedly my secondary, rather than primary storage) was gifted to me at Christmas, but they're not even listed as a manufacturer.

So yeah, develop this idea more. Would love to see it grow as a tool.

rob_lh

Neo Member
While I'm not sure if this is the right thread for it either, I actually really like this concept! I think it would benefit from specific game references rather than abstracts like 'first person shooter' and 'open world', but this is actually a really neat base for something I'd like to see become standard. Getting a quick, visual reference for how your system will perform, and where bottlenecks lie is really nice.

But I do stress it being a base. For some reason a GTX 970's info was unavailable, and admittedly I do have parts that just aren't listed. Some of that I recognise as being down to sheer age - my current PSU is a spare from my Dad's old rig - but I bought the Kolink Aviator case I'm currently using only a few weeks ago, and my Toshiba harddrive (admittedly my secondary, rather than primary storage) was gifted to me at Christmas, but they're not even listed as a manufacturer.

So yeah, develop this idea more. Would love to see it grow as a tool.

Thanks man. FPS is really just Battlefield 1, which was more demanding than any other FPS we found i.e. had lower framerates. So if a rig can play BF1 well, it's going to play DOOM and Prey well, etc. Same goes for Open World, which is just Watch Dogs 2. I'm going to add PUBG and some other eSports next, so I might end up breaking it out by individual game eventually.

For parts, we're limited by what data is available and the fact it's really just me doing it. I can make a lot of estimates, but we're trying to do the most recent GPUs first and hit some best sellers. I know cases, PSUs, and monitors are huge categories with thousands of choices, so we just grabbed the top rated/best sellers. We really want the performance data to be right and helpful before we try to cover the whole ecosystem.

Thanks. Kinda expensive. I'll see what I can do

I have a Noctua D15 on my current build, but honestly there are lots of other options that perform almost as well for quite a bit less money.

Check out Scythe FUMA- almost as good for under $50. If I was building today that's probably what I'd buy. Scythe has some other lower cost options as well. Thermalright TS 140/120 also good, Cryorig has good options as well.

In general, if you want to push the OC, I'd at least stick with the ~$50 models. There are options at ~30 as well, but raw performance does go down at that price point.

Evga 1070. 8gb ddr4 2400

Yeah, that's probably just a side-grade for gaming. I'd just hold off for now.

Thanks man. FPS is really just Battlefield 1, which was more demanding than any other FPS we found i.e. had lower framerates. So if a rig can play BF1 well, it's going to play DOOM and Prey well, etc. Same goes for Open World, which is just Watch Dogs 2. I'm going to add PUBG and some other eSports next, so I might end up breaking it out by individual game eventually.

For parts, we're limited by what data is available and the fact it's really just me doing it. I can make a lot of estimates, but we're trying to do the most recent GPUs first and hit some best sellers. I know cases, PSUs, and monitors are huge categories with thousands of choices, so we just grabbed the top rated/best sellers. We really want the performance data to be right and helpful before we try to cover the whole ecosystem.

Makes sense. It's why I hope you actually get some success with this, because if the ball gets rolling you should be able to accrue more useful and accurate data, until this becomes a very versatile point of reference.

dr_mario

New Mainboard, New problems. My Power Button doesnt work anymore, so I guess the Pins are broken. It got electricity, the mobo-LEDs are Shining. Is there a way to "shortcut" the power Button, for the unpropable case that the powercable got broken?

Parsnip

Hey dudes, what's the scoop on Samsung's SSD 850 EVO drives now? I seem to remember there being some performance degradation issues with some of the Samsung drives, was the 850 EVO line part of that? Is it fixed now?

Or alternately, recommend me a 500gb sata ssd in case the 850 EVO line is poop?
Anyone?

I was going to try to raise my 7700k overclock from 4.7ghz to 4.8ghz but the additional voltage and heat just isn't worth it for the minimal actual gain.

Welcome to the club. Even at 4.8 my max temps are around 85c with a kraken x62 with its default fans at 60%. Compared to my last prosessor which was 6700k and it ran at 4.7 with max temps at 75c with krakens fans at 40%.

It just feels so stupid that im able to hit 5ghz without too much voltage but cant use it because of heat..

zewone

Can someone recommend me small form factor case that supports a full size GPU?

The only components I currently have are

i5-6500
2 x 8GB DDR4 at 2400MHz

Top Bottom