• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

I was gonna start a new thread but then I saw this. So hopefully I can find an answer here

I really need a new PC for doing dev work on. I'm using UE4 which runs like complete shit on my current PC. Just some quick searching around it looks like I can buy a good premade for cheaper than it would be for me to build one. Any suggestions? I built my last two machines but prices for premades have gone down significantly and I'm on a tight budget

Carm

Everything looks fine. With respect to I/O panel: they can be off a bit sometimes depending on what happens while you're securing it.

Thanks for the reply. One of the confusing things is there is two sets of PLED +/-. On one side they're right next to each other, on the other there is a space separating them. Wasn't sure there was any difference between the two.

Dr.Acula

Banned
So what's the deal with NVMe SSDs?

Do they step on any toes and slow down the bus, are they for servers, should you put your OS on one, waste of money, reliability, dead-end tech, what?

Dr.Acula

Banned
First up, using a ASUS MB, comes with Q-Connector for system panel functions. Looking at the bottom pics do I have the pled, power SW and reset SW in the right places?

qLukAaT.png

Isn't black ground and red power?

If it works, then okay.

cfWJs.png

There should be a little arrow maybe on the positive side.

Carm

qLukAaT.png

Isn't black ground and red power?

If it works, then okay.

cfWJs.png

There should be a little arrow maybe on the positive side.

Ooo, thanks for the post, haven't installed the PSU yet so will have to check that. Maybe I screwed that up listening to a youtube vid saying to have the text facing out?

And yes, I do see the arrow/triangle behind the red wire sides.

While I've changed out every component of my old computer it was custom built ordered. So I never had to pay attention to system panel connectors since it had the Q-Connector already installed. Feeling a tad stupid atm heh.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Thanks for the tips!

I'm currently running a Gigabyte board for my FX-8320 and I never had any issues with it in the last 4 years so I'm sorta leaning towards the Gigabyte but if the MSI is better, then I'll definitely go for that instead.

The Gigabyte VRM design on their B350 motherboards is horrible avoid it.

Celcius

°Temp. member

Do they step on any toes and slow down the bus, are they for servers, should you put your OS on one, waste of money, reliability, dead-end tech, what?

I'd recommend looking at a m.2 ssd such as the Samsung 960 Pro or Evo lines. Motherboards should have plenty of bandwidth to run them without slowing anything down (for example on my z270 motherboard I run a 1TB 960 pro, a sound card, and a videocard all at full speed with no issues), they're very reliable, they're commonly used for home computers and laptops although you could put one in a server as well, they plug directly into the motherboard so you don't have to run able cables to it, they're smaller than older sata-based ssds, you should put your OS on it along with other stuff, they allow for faster transfer speeds than older sata-based ssds, and are the future.

posting this here as well as tech gaf as im desperate for opinions and help.

Originally Posted by ChazGW7

A full clean and rebuild can help, good luck! Keep us posted.

So I rewired the cpu connections and PSU and the same issue is happening.
Upon shutdown M/kb and monitor shutdown as well as power LED, but all internals are still bein supplied with power.

I even updated my BIOS and same shit.
Tell me, is this seeming more and more like a PSU issue?
Is this a thing? Power flow remaining constant upon shutdown?
I'm hoping it is as my PSU is relatively cheap to replace and I hope it'll be that simple. (EVGA BRONZE 600B-$45)

Also keep in mind that the Red CPU LED on the EZ DEBUG LEDs lights upon "shutdown"

Celcius

°Temp. member
Have you tried:
1. Unplug the power supply from the wall so that the computer completely turns off.
2. Remove the round silver battery from the motherboard.
3. Wait 20-30 sec, then plug the battery back in, then plug the cable back in.

Also I may have missed it but how long have you had your pc?

Garou

Ooo, thanks for the post, haven't installed the PSU yet so will have to check that. Maybe I screwed that up listening to a youtube vid saying to have the text facing out?

And yes, I do see the arrow/triangle behind the red wire sides.

While I've changed out every component of my old computer it was custom built ordered. So I never had to pay attention to system panel connectors since it had the Q-Connector already installed. Feeling a tad stupid atm heh.

For switches it doesn't matter which way you plug it in. The only ones that matter are LEDs where you can simply remember: White wire = Minus

Have you tried:
1. Unplug the power supply from the wall so that the computer completely turns off.
2. Remove the round silver battery from the motherboard.
3. Wait 20-30 sec, then plug the battery back in, then plug the cable back in.

Also I may have missed it but how long have you had your pc?

Since Feb of 2016.
I'm also new to PC gaming so I know nothing of MOBO batteries
Also after flipping the case switch to shut it off entirely and flipping it back on all internals power back on as well as my case LEDs as if it was just as it was before

Additionally I'm using a MID Z170 A PRO.
And this is the first time iver seen the EZ DEBUG LED light up-specifically the CPU LED

Celcius

°Temp. member
Since Feb of 2016.
I'm also new to PC gaming so I know nothing of MOBO batteries
Also after flipping the case switch to shut it off entirely and flipping it back on all internals power back on as well as my case LEDs as if it was just as it was before

https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/Z170-A-PRO.html#hero-overview (you can see pictures of your mobo here)
The motherboard battery is the round silver circle next to the text "MSI". It's really just a watch battery and you can remove it easily by hand (just make sure the computer is powered OFF first)

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

waste of money for the average user, just get a regular sata or M.2 ssd instead

Celcius

°Temp. member
So power off completely.
Remove for 30 seconds.
Then reinsert and test?

Yes, but beware that this will reset / clear your bios so you may want to save your settings to a profile within the bios first if possible, otherwise your settings will be cleared / wiped out.

Also, have you recently changed your operating system, installed any new hardware, or installed any major OS updates like the windows 10 creator update?

Yes, but beware that this will reset / clear your bios so you may want to save your settings to a profile within the bios first if possible, otherwise your settings will be cleared / wiped out.
And I just updated the BIOS for the first time ever like an hr ago. Lol
I'm not sure how I'd go about backing the BIOS up

Celcius

°Temp. member

Celcius

°Temp. member
I save these to a usb drive?
Or it's saved on the MOBO itself?

Within the mobo itself. I'm not sure if your motherboard has the feature but I think it's common these days. My last motherboard had it as well.
Also, within windows have you checked your power plan settings? I'd recommend the high performance power plan and disabling sleep.

Within the mobo itself. I'm not sure if your motherboard has the feature but I think it's common these days. My last motherboard had it as well.
Also, within windows have you checked your power plan settings? I'd recommend the high performance power plan and disabling sleep.

I'm definitely on high performance and I'll check on sleep. Same for hibernate?

Nuu

Banned
I had my 2500k O.C. but unfortunately I reset my bios. So I need to reset everything. When I test my PC for stability of the O.C. can I use it for everyday tasks such as Netflix and what not? Or does it have to not be in use and just have the benchmark program running?

Apt101

Say I wanted to ditch my tower for a laptop and an eGPU. Just move my GTX 970 to the enclosure.

What would be the best setup for this? I'm looking for the lightest and slimmest laptop possible. I won't need much power when away from my home office, because at work my laptop will be a glorified second screen for accessing test systems or running console sessions.

I'd want a dock and to keep my 27" monitor. preferably a small dock.

I figured the new PC thread has probably fielded this question, so I thought I'd ask here before embarking on the joy that is comparing options across Amazon and NewEgg for two hours - thanks!

Celcius

°Temp. member
Saved the profile to the MOBO and a SUB.
Here goes.

should i also be removing the PSU and waiting a certain amount of time as ive read?
or the battery and a simple 30 seconds will do the trick?

Just unplugging the psu cable from the wall first and then removing the battery

I had my 2500k O.C. but unfortunately I reset my bios. So I need to reset everything. When I test my PC for stability of the O.C. can I use it for everyday tasks such as Netflix and what not? Or does it have to not be in use and just have the benchmark program running?

When you're running a stress test on the cpu then the cpu utilization should be at 100% and as a result the system may be sluggish because the processor is completely busy. I'd just let it sit and run the stress test.

Nuu

Banned
When you're running a stress test on the cpu then the cpu utilization should be at 100% and as a result the system may be sluggish because the processor is completely busy. I'd just let it sit and run the stress test.

I see. How long should the stress test last for?

Just unplugging the psu cable from the wall first and then removing the battery

wish me luck. back in a few

Carm

Well computer is on, and I've updated the bios, no os install yet. The only odd thing I'm seeing at the moment is a red led is on, right next to the first vga slot.

I'm currently using the on board vga, so I'm hoping that led is just saying out a card here don't use this crappy on board junk.

Also haven't turned on xmp yet to see if everything is alright at 3000. Won't do that till everything is installed.

Bloodember

Well computer is on, and I've updated the bios, no os install yet. The only odd thing I'm seeing at the moment is a red led is on, right next to the first vga slot.

I'm currently using the on board vga, so I'm hoping that led is just saying out a card here don't use this crappy on board junk.
The manual will tell you what the led is for.

Dr.Acula

Banned
And I just updated the BIOS for the first time ever like an hr ago. Lol
I'm not sure how I'd go about backing the BIOS up

Nonono, if you update your BIOS, that's done, the BIOS persists. If you take out your mobo battery and unplug you PSU, it clears the CMOS. Those are the settings you change within the BIOS. There is usually an option within the BIOS to save/restore your CMOS settings.

lccGYMK.jpg

In this example, you can save/load with the F11 and F12 keys.

Megabat

Say I wanted to ditch my tower for a laptop and an eGPU. Just move my GTX 970 to the enclosure.

What would be the best setup for this? I'm looking for the lightest and slimmest laptop possible. I won't need much power when away from my home office, because at work my laptop will be a glorified second screen for accessing test systems or running console sessions.

I'd want a dock and to keep my 27" monitor. preferably a small dock.

I figured the new PC thread has probably fielded this question, so I thought I'd ask here before embarking on the joy that is comparing options across Amazon and NewEgg for two hours - thanks!

There are very few options right now, and the best ones are proprietary. The only solution that meets your criteria is Razer Blade Stealth for $900 + Razer Core GPU dock for $500.

If I had a similar aim, I'd probably just get a nice laptop with TB3 (MacBook Pro/Dell XPS) and hope something comes out.

i want to believe its my PSU refusing to shut off the flow of power because thats the issue.
i can shutoff my PC and the monitor sleeps and the m/kb shut off as well as the power button LED.
but ALL internal components and fans LEDs etc keep going just with no signal to the monitor.
basically I cant shut off besides flipping the cases master switch.

It seems like a PSU issue, HOWEVER the EZ DEBUG LED on the mobo is lit up for CPU when i have it in that false shutdown state and that LED has never lit since i built the PC.

But again I believe that CPU is lit as the PSU is giving it power when it wants to be shut down.
thoughts?

Megabat

I was gonna start a new thread but then I saw this. So hopefully I can find an answer here

I really need a new PC for doing dev work on. I'm using UE4 which runs like complete shit on my current PC. Just some quick searching around it looks like I can buy a good premade for cheaper than it would be for me to build one. Any suggestions? I built my last two machines but prices for premades have gone down significantly and I'm on a tight budget

What is your budget? What is your current PC like?

Celcius

°Temp. member
Which would you recommend?
Funny you should ask as I'm stress testing my CPU right now. Over the years I've always run prime95 for 24 hours straight, and I've done that for my current 7700k at 4.7ghz. However, I'm currently testing at 4.8ghz and noticed that prime95 runs way hotter than other benches like realbench or x264. I've passed 8 hours of x264, I'm currently running realbench for 8 hours, and if that passes (and I expect it to) I'll run prime95 with avx disabled for at least 8 hours, then run a stressful game like battlefield 1.

Prime95 is a great benchmark but with these new cpus and avx instructions, I'm kinda starting to doubt how realistic it is or if it's safe to run. I have no doubts about it being great at detecting unstable overclocks though.

So I guess right now to answer the question directly I'd recommend starting out with 8 hours of asus realbench and then playing some stressful games.

KingoftheRing

Neo Member
Hey folks, I'm hoping this is relevant to the thread, but I'm looking for recommendations on a new monitor. I recently got a Dell U2713HM 27" refurb from Staples, but there's an annoying issue where a vertical red line will occasionally appear, so I'd like to return the monitor.

The issue is now that I've got it, it's hard to go back to my old 24" LG from 7 years ago. Thus, I'm hoping someone can give me some recommendations on a good 27" general purpose monitor. I'm not a hardcore FPS guy or anything, so I don't NEED anything super fast, but if the price is right, I'm not opposed to it either. Thanks in advance for any tips!

Hey folks, I'm hoping this is relevant to the thread, but I'm looking for recommendations on a new monitor. I recently got a Dell U2713HM 27" refurb from Staples, but there's an annoying issue where a vertical red line will occasionally appear, so I'd like to return the monitor.

The issue is now that I've got it, it's hard to go back to my old 24" LG from 7 years ago. Thus, I'm hoping someone can give me some recommendations on a good 27" general purpose monitor. I'm not a hardcore FPS guy or anything, so I don't NEED anything super fast, but if the price is right, I'm not opposed to it either. Thanks in advance for any tips!
What's your budget?

Carm

So, probably stupid question. First time using UEFI bios how do I safely shut down the computer? Normally I'd have a OS installed already and do it through there. Holding power button?

Yep power button, feel stupid.

Nuu

Banned
Funny you should ask as I'm stress testing my CPU right now. Over the years I've always run prime95 for 24 hours straight, and I've done that for my current 7700k at 4.7ghz. However, I'm currently testing at 4.8ghz and noticed that prime95 runs way hotter than other benches like realbench or x264. I've passed 8 hours of x264, I'm currently running realbench for 8 hours, and if that passes (and I expect it to) I'll run prime95 with avx disabled for at least 8 hours, then run a stressful game like battlefield 1.

Prime95 is a great benchmark but with these new cpus and avx instructions, I'm kinda starting to doubt how realistic it is or if it's safe to run. I have no doubts about it being great at detecting unstable overclocks though.

So I guess right now to answer the question directly I'd recommend starting out with 8 hours of asus realbench and then playing some stressful games.

I have a 2500k. Should I use Prime95 or Asus Realbench?

Top Bottom