• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

Celcius

°Temp. member
Just passed 8 hours of realbench at 4.8ghz. Now to run some prime95 without avx.

I have a 2500k. Should I use Prime95 or Asus Realbench?

You could use either one if you wanted but back when I had a 2600k I ran prime95 for 24 hours with no issues. I think it's only the newer chips like haswell, skylake, and kabylake that really heat up with prime95's avx instructions running during the small fft tests.
Here's prime95 running on my 2600k at 4.6ghz back in the day with avx and everything enabled and the hottest core only touched 80C during a 24 hour run: http://imgur.com/a/GJa2U
A much different story than my 7700k. So for your 2500k I'd recommend prime95.

Cyanity

Banned
Are >1tb hard drives affordable yet? I kind of want a 3tb+ drive to consolidate the mishmash I've got going in my current setup.

Are >1tb hard drives affordable yet? I kind of want a 3tb+ drive to consolidate the mishmash I've got going in my current setup.

It's tough to find a good 3 TB internal HDD for under $130, IMO, in the US at least. You can find open box or refurbs sometimes closer to that price. I saw a 3 TB new one on eBay for about $75 a few days ago, but it was that specifically notorious failure from Toshiba (ST3000DM001).

I recently bought a 2.5 TB WD Green refurb from Microcenter for $55. I'm super happy with that, even if it only lasts me for a few years.

Cyanity

Banned
It's tough to find a good 3 TB internal HDD for under $130, IMO, in the US at least. You can find open box or refurbs sometimes closer to that price. I saw a 3 TB new one on eBay for about $75 a few days ago, but it was that specifically notorious failure from Toshiba (ST3000DM001).

I recently bought a 2.5 TB WD Green refurb from Microcenter for $55. I'm super happy with that, even if it only lasts me for a few years.

$130 isn't awful, especially considering the ridiculous markup on 500gb 850 evos right now.

kuYuri

You can definitely get 3TB for less than $100. Typically from Seagate and Toshiba. Seagate HDDs are not that bad at all these days, I've been on Seagate drives for a few years now and have had zero issues, but that's me. The newer Toshiba P300 drives also seem to be solid and are relatively inexpensive compared to the competition. I've seen the 3TB ones for around $85~.

You can definitely get 3TB for less than $100. Typically from Seagate and Toshiba. Seagate HDDs are not that bad at all these days, I've been on Seagate drives for a few years now and have had zero issues, but that's me. The newer Toshiba P300 drives also seem to be solid and are relatively inexpensive compared to the competition. I've seen the 3TB ones for around $85~.

Can you link me a new $85 3 TB? I don't mean that to be rude, but I don't see them.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Hey GAF, I am thinking about picking up a Corsair One. I don't want to build a PC myself, and I like the small, near-silent form factor. But I'm torn between the 1070 and 1080 models.

The 1070 version is $400 cheaper than the 1080, but how much performance would I be sacrificing? I want to be able to game at 60fps / high settings / 1080p or greater. I mostly play Overwatch, PUBG, and the occasional big single player game like TW3. 4K gaming would be very nice, also, but by no means required.

I'm willing to pay the extra $400 if it is WAY better / more future proof, but I'm just not that knowledgeable about the differences.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I think I'm finally stable at 4.8ghz. Passed 8 hours of x264, 8 hours of realbench, and 10 hours of prime95 (avx disabled for this one because I don't want to torture it). Now to run some games.

edit: also ran various graphics benchmarks for about 2 hours and things still look good, now for some games...

edit 2: games run great too :)

Ryukori

Hey GAF, I am thinking about picking up a Corsair One. I don't want to build a PC myself, and I like the small, near-silent form factor. But I'm torn between the 1070 and 1080 models.

The 1070 version is $400 cheaper than the 1080, but how much performance would I be sacrificing? I want to be able to game at 60fps / high settings / 1080p or greater. I mostly play Overwatch, PUBG, and the occasional big single player game like TW3. 4K gaming would be very nice, also, but by no means required.

I'm willing to pay the extra $400 if it is WAY better / more future proof, but I'm just not that knowledgeable about the differences.

If those are the only specs you want to play at, then a GTX 1060 would suffice.

Cyanity

Banned

Go with the 1070 for sure. That's an easy 60fps/1440p setup, actually.

Considering that 1 TB HDDs have a way worse € per TB ratio than 3-4 TB HDDs, I find that question a bit surprising.

Well I certainly learned something new this week. Guess it's all 3-4tb hard drives from now on.

Capra

Hey GAF. So right now there's a guy offering to sell me a pre-built micro-ATX system with:

- i7 4790
- 256gb SSD
- 16gb ram
- 650w modular PSU
- Gigabyte - GA-H97N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard

For around 600-800. You'll notice I didn't mention a GPU... Because although his build includes one (a 970gtx), I kind of only want a solid workstation for the foreseeable future - something to code on for the next several months and upgrade further down the line. The specs seem pretty solid to me, although I don't know about the motherboard, and the small form factor is definitely appealing. If I can negotiate something around $700 I think it'll be good value. What say you, PC GAF experts?

Hey GAF. So right now there's a guy offering to sell me a pre-built micro-ATX system with:

- i7 4790
- 256gb SSD
- 16gb ram
- 650w modular PSU
- Gigabyte - GA-H97N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard

For around 600-800. You'll notice I didn't mention a GPU... Because although his build includes one (a 970gtx), I kind of only want a solid workstation for the foreseeable future - something to code on for the next several months and upgrade further down the line. The specs seem pretty solid to me, although I don't know about the motherboard, and the small form factor is definitely appealing. If I can negotiate something around $700 I think it'll be good value. What say you, PC GAF experts?

700 is too much imo. 350 CPU Mobo ram, 60 ssd, 50 for psu, 150 for 970 so about 600. I'd offer 500 and see if he will meet you half way at 550.

Jarnet87

@ Beardy Chan - have you tried manually setting the voltage in the bios? Been reading a lot of threads about the heat and some people mentioned they got temp drops by manually setting voltage and disabling some other settings. most of the threads mention delidding as the best way to lower temps.

Unfortunately have not found any of the base models reviews. The CPU is the I7700 (non K) and the 1070 is not water cooled. No idea what kind of temperatures they run at. I am considering getting the Corsair One Pro or the web exclusive that has the 960 gb SSD for an extra $100. The I7700k temperatures scare me though. In the reviews I've seen/read on the pro the GPU cooling works great, the CPU cooling runs hot.

So, before shipping my PC from Korea to the states, I should remove the heatsink and GPU, anything else?
19466606_1611474702197419_6328539670130142894_o.jpg

Ignore the poor cable management.

Branson

Should I be nervous getting a Corsair water cooler? Specifically the H100i for a 7700k. What if it leaks down into the case? Is that common?

So I'm trying to sell my alienware R1 alpha and want to wipe it clean, basically reset to factory settings just like out of the box. How would I go about it?

Appreciate the help PC gaf

Fumpster

Hey guys! I'm posting this on behalf of my roommate. He is currently in the process of upgrading his PC and he was wondering whether you could direct him towards the cheapest possible (while still being reliable) SSD here in Canada? He said he's looking for at least 50GB, but isn't sure whether that's even a thing anymore.

Thanks in advance.

GodofWine

I play those games on high (pubg mixed settings) with a g4560/1050ti and get locked 60 at 1080. Technically i can get 100fps in OW, 12p0fps in Paladins, and 200-250fps in Csgo, all maxed but im capped by my monitor.

1080/60 pc gaming is so inexpensive, its great. (Built my pc for $450)

Hm... Really? He's sticking with 650. Not a good deal then?

I would say not, because you can get a ryzen 1600, mobo, 16gb ddr4, 240gb ssd, 600w psu for under 500 brand new. And he wants that much for almost 4 year old parts? If you arent interested in gaming on it you could throw a 100 dollar gpu in there, or use an old card.

NEO0MJ

With the latest intel/Nvidia chips, 7700k/1080Ti, is 4K/60fps gaming doable?

It can handle a good number of games but there are a few such as Watch Dogs 2 (that game seems to be the most demanding thing right now) that it can only get 43 FPS with. Gears 4 it can run at 57 FPS.

After discovering the wonders of Amazon trade in (and the apparent goldmine that is my old textbooks), I've now essentially paid for my CPU upgrade, prompting me to go ahead and check in and make sure I haven't messed up too badly on this upgrade

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI - B350M GAMING PRO Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($78.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($117.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Taking from old build)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Taking from old build)
Video Card: MSI - Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card (Taking from old build)
Case: Fractal Design - Define Mini C with Window MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Cooler Master - Silent Pro M 700W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (Taking from old build)
Total: $461.96

Think I've conquered the little voice in my head saying "nooo save the 30 bucks, get the 1500x, you don't need 6 cores!" My main concerns are gaming and streaming, and at some point I'll get a 144 hz monitor, which I figure the 1600 will handle nicely.

Are MSI's Ryzen mobos the one everyone's picking now? TEMPTED to look at mobos with 4 RAM slots... You'd think 16 would be enough but man you never do know... Was eyeing this asRock, similar price to the MSI, 4 slots...

Fractal's a safe pick, was considering the V21 but I did always want a fractal case. May spring for some noctua fans, who knows, its been a crazy summer

This RAM price hike is a serious pain in the ass, did prices get worse since I last looked?! Should I be looking at higher clocked RAM if I'm eventually going to move to 144hz? Will it make any difference for streaming?

I really should see about selling the 390 to some miner, just afraid I won't find a reasonable replacement if this mining craze keeps up for too long...

AllenShrz

With the latest intel/Nvidia chips, 7700k/1080Ti, is 4K/60fps gaming doable?

It would depend on the game and settings, but newer games no, games from last year and back yes.

The processor is irrelevant, get a ryzen and use the extra money on the gpu, that is the one that you should spend the most.

Bloodember

Should I be nervous getting a Corsair water cooler? Specifically the H100i for a 7700k. What if it leaks down into the case? Is that common?
It's very rare for an AIO to leak. If it does Corsair will take care of you, as with most AIO manufacturers.

So, before shipping my PC from Korea to the states, I should remove the heatsink and GPU, anything else?

Yeah, that should be enough. For myself I'd pull my hard drives also.

ShOcKwAvE

It would depend on the game and settings, but newer games no, games from last year and back yes.

The processor is irrelevant, get a ryzen and use the extra money on the gpu, that is the one that you should spend the most.

1. 7700k/1080Ti is absolutely capable of 4k/60fps on newer games. I can't guarantee rock-solid performance, especially if you're attempting Ultra settings, but most reviews indicated the Ti finally made it a reality.

2. Processor is not irrelevant, that's silly. Ryzen is probably the better value, but there's no doubt a 7700k would outperform AMD offerings in gaming. Besides, why does he need to spend more on the GPU when he's considering the 1080Ti? That's practically the best single-card option he can get.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
This RAM price hike is a serious pain in the ass, did prices get worse since I last looked?! Should I be looking at higher clocked RAM if I'm eventually going to move to 144hz? Will it make any difference for streaming?

I really should see about selling the 390 to some miner, just afraid I won't find a reasonable replacement if this mining craze keeps up for too long...
Why not go for a full 8 cores? And memory speed is important with Ryzen because that also determines the CCX communication bandwidth. You get substantial performance gains with faster memory.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topi...-a-noticeable-impact-in-performance-on-ryzen/

Why not go for a full 8 cores? And memory speed is important with Ryzen because that also determines the CCX communication bandwidth. You get substantial performance gains with faster memory.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topi...-a-noticeable-impact-in-performance-on-ryzen/

Didn't realize it's only ~10 bucks more for 3200 and with those numbers that's a definite edit to my parts list. Thanks for the heads up.

For the CPU, unless the 1600 isn't enough for streaming 720p60, I can't justify the added cost of the 1700, even with its price drops. Am I missing something?

joe_zazen

Are there any good APUs? I'd like an energy efficient and small pc that still can play modern games without a gfx card.

...Seagate HDDs are not that bad at all these days...

Is there a source for that? Last time I was looking at drives there was some chart with failure rates from google server farms that made seagate drives look like total shit compare to WD. I'd like to know of that has changed.

knitoe

Remove the HDD. Push all the cables to the other side / behind the MB. Tape and/or tie down any items that can move, like wires. Don't want them moving, hitting and damaging your MB.

RAM prices just shot through the roof. What the fuck. This and overpriced GPU's are making building this new PC absolute hell.

There's been a long running issue of demand outpacing supply for a while now, mostly driven by mobile switching to DDR4. I increasingly do not regret having gotten mine secondhand for cheap.

There's been a long running issue of demand outpacing supply for a while now, mostly driven by mobile switching to DDR4. I increasingly do not regret having gotten mine secondhand for cheap.

I got 2x8 GB Corsair DDR4 3000 MHz on eBay brand new for $90 a week ago. I jumped on that deal so freaking fast. Crazy that barely 6 months ago you could get the same pair of sticks for around $75 on sale.

Is there a source for that? Last time I was looking at drives there was some chart with failure rates from google server farms that made seagate drives look like total shit compare to WD. I'd like to know of that has changed.

My understanding is that the issue you're speaking about was regarding a specific model of Seagate that was a 3 TB drive using 3 platters, whereas most manufacturer's used 5 platters. This lead to some stupidly hire failure rate for that drive when used in a server farm setup. I don't think all Seagates are trash.

Slowly getting there...

I have custom cables from cable mod (blue and white theme) that should arrive today or tomorrow. Outside of that I want to get a new monitor and a desk.

EDIT: Oh and specs:

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv TG
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700k @ 5047Mhz (~1.39v under full load w/ bclk 103 x 49)
Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 w/ 4x Noctua NF-F12 2000 in push / pull
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus IX Hero
RAM: 16Gb G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz @ 3013Mhz
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250Gb
HDD: Seagate 2TB 7200RPM
PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650w 80+ Gold

Dave_6

^Very nice build! I'm about to build my new one this weekend with very similar parts. I was going to order some custom cables from Ensourced but he is on vacation so I'll wait and just tear it down later to do those.

rezn0r

Bubba, awesome build. Almost exactly what I was going to get, but now I'm in panic mode waiting to figure out where I go for mobo/CPU (the longer I wait, the more I want to wait) - I'm building around the Phanteks Enthoo Evolv TG either way though, that much is certain. Looks awesome.

^Very nice build! I'm about to build my new one this weekend with very similar parts. I was going to order some custom cables from Ensourced but he is on vacation so I'll wait and just tear it down later to do those.

Bubba, awesome build. Almost exactly what I was going to get, but now I'm in panic mode waiting to figure out where I go for mobo/CPU (the longer I wait, the more I want to wait) - I'm building around the Phanteks Enthoo Evolv TG either way though, that much is certain. Looks awesome.

Thanks guys!

Shortly after I posted those images my cable mod cables arrived! Just got them set up!

Still need to do some cable combing, but overall happy with how they look.

rezn0r, I would just get what is available now. It seems like both Intel and AMD have compelling options. One aspect I can say I am very satisfied with is my ASUS mobo. Fantastic UEFI and AI Suite makes overclocking a breeze.

MechaDekka

Neo Member
So some guys on the Linus Tech Tips forum said that a Noctua NH-D15 found here is needed for an i7 7700k. I was wondering if a similarly beefy cooler was needed for an R7 1700x. I purchased this Noctua NH-U12S
for my 1700x and was wondering if that was enough for overclocking it. Sorry if this is a noob question it's my first build.

Top Bottom