• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

kevin1025

Banned
For someone looking to build a PC in the fall (and leave behind my beloved 3570k machine), is waiting for the Coffee Lake CPU's the best bet? Or should I consider going 7600k still?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
The Rx580 is 10-15% faster, but you'll get a huge increase out of freesync. Problem is right now all the currency miners have driven GPU prices through the roof, IF you can find one you're going to be paying an extreme price. VEGA is due to be announced within a few weeks I believe, either way you're stuck waiting.

I looked on Overclockers and they're even making "mining editions" now, I guess a sale is a sale right. I wonder if their price will ever go back to normal.

rtcn63

For someone looking to build a PC in the fall (and leave behind my beloved 3570k machine), is waiting for the Coffee Lake CPU's the best bet? Or should I consider going 7600k still?

If the six-core consumer i7 turns out be a thing, yes.

But if you can get a good deal on something current, fuck it money is money. If you're shooting for 60fps, it doesn't matter since modern i7s do 100fps+. Put the savings towards a beast GPU.

VoxPop

I was wondering if anyone could put together a setup for my cousin who is also a music producer/sound engineer. I assume it's very different from building a gaming rig. He was originally looking to go back to Mac but he wants a PC since all our friends just recently built a new PC and are on a pubG binge. $1000-1500 price range without any monitor/keyboard/etc. His only request is that it has thunderbolt support. Thanks!

vector824

I looked on Overclockers and they're even making "mining editions" now, I guess a sale is a sale right. I wonder if their price will ever go back to normal.

I read that those don't have video out, because they dont need it (just running algorithms), saves a few bucks on components for what that's worth to them. Prices will stabilize once the manufacturers get inventory back to normal, could be a few weeks to months though.

kevin1025

Banned
If the six-core consumer i7 turns out be a thing, yes.

But if you can get a good deal on something current, fuck it money is money. If you're shooting for 60fps, it doesn't matter since modern i7s do 100fps+. Put the savings towards a beast GPU.

Thanks! I'll be holding off till around Black Friday, I'll see where things are then!

Grexeno

My idea to install new case fans is literally going to turn into "rearrange every single fan in my computer" because apparently flow should be from front to back and I had a CPU fan pointing the wrong direction............only the one I thought was pointing the right direction was actually the one pointing the wrong direction because I was setting air flow to go back to front.

AAAAAAAA

My idea to install new case fans is literally going to turn into "rearrange every single fan in my computer" because apparently flow should be from front to back and I had a CPU fan pointing the wrong direction............only the one I thought was pointing the right direction was actually the one pointing the wrong direction because I was setting air flow to go back to front.

AAAAAAAA

Seems like conventional wisdom is to do front as intake, back as exhaust, top as exhaust. Sides or bottom could be intake but in many cases you don't have bottom or side-mounted fans.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I read that those don't have video out, because they dont need it (just running algorithms), saves a few bucks on components for what that's worth to them. Prices will stabilize once the manufacturers get inventory back to normal, could be a few weeks to months though.

That's actually good for us then, miners will just buy those and we can have access to the "real" ones.

I was able to grab a gigabyte 1070 off newegg on sunday for $419 + tax/shipping.
First time I've seen them in stock for a semi-decent price recently.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
OK - need some quick help.

I want to do 2 things!

1) I'm on the fence about upgrading my 970 to a better card. Any reason to do so? Like is a 1080 worth the upgrade right now? Are there better options?

2) I have a 6TB HDD that I use as my media/PLEX drive. I need to build a small box that will host this server so I can stop keeping my PC on all the time. Anyone feel like helping me find a super cheap build that can incorporate that HDD? Do I need any specific video card to do this?

Arkanius

I have managed to get my PC so silent that now I crank up the fans just to get some noise to represent the power that is inside :(
I finally understand why people like loud cars...

Vipu

Banned

I want to do 2 things!

1) I'm on the fence about upgrading my 970 to a better card. Any reason to do so? Like is a 1080 worth the upgrade right now? Are there better options?

2) I have a 6TB HDD that I use as my media/PLEX drive. I need to build a small box that will host this server so I can stop keeping my PC on all the time. Anyone feel like helping me find a super cheap build that can incorporate that HDD? Do I need any specific video card to do this?

What screen you have? Might be more worth to upgrade that than GPU.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
What screen you have? Might be more worth to upgrade that than GPU.

Uh...Not sure!

This all is stemming from trying to run The Surge on max/near max setting and getting stuttering and FPS drops. So I'd do a combo upgrade if it makes sense. Going to a 1070 with a nicer monitor that I could use with a 1080+ in the future.

Ryne

Bought myself a new monitor recently, this is the one: Dell 24 Gaming Monitor - S2417DG

Since I bought that new monitor, I'm looking at a whole new system because I'm still on a 2600K CPU. I want to piece out this system, so I'm taking the 980TI I have in here along with my hard drives and putting it in my new system, so that's why they are missing on my part list.

The part list is below, I'm looking for heavy gaming/streaming with this. I want to see if I can get it as close to $1000 CAD if possible before taxes so that I can save up some money for a new video card in the future. The 7700K is probably the only thing I won't compromise too much on because I like having a CPU for a few years before upgrading, so I tend to buy the "best" I can at the moment. I might drop it down to the 7600K if needed, but I'm trying not to.

My price/part list is below:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($447.99 @ PC Canada)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($99.95 @ Newegg Canada Marketplace)
Motherboard: Asus - STRIX B250F GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($161.99 @ PC Canada)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($192.08 @ Memory Express)
Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass ATX Mid Tower Case ($152.53 @ DirectCanada)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($123.99 @ PC Canada)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($128.99 @ PC Canada)
Total: $1307.52
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-07-23 17:08 EDT-0400

Any ideas? Or should I wait for the new generation of CPUs?

Sarcasm

Uh...Not sure!

This all is stemming from trying to run The Surge on max/near max setting and getting stuttering and FPS drops. So I'd do a combo upgrade if it makes sense. Going to a 1070 with a nicer monitor that I could use with a 1080+ in the future.

Don't base it off the Surge. I have a 3770K w/ GTX 670 and was getting none.

But the game causes power surges in my PSU. Causing my PC to shut off itself and prevent damage lol. No other games does that.

Finalized the rig I'm building for my girlfriend and started ordering parts:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Huge thanks to Bloodember, LelouchZero, kuYuri, Renekton, and Booker.DeWitt for steering me in the right direction and for all of the useful suggestions/changes! Thanks guys/gals!

It looks awesome! No problem, have fun!

I want to do 2 things!

The consumer Vega card is getting revealed on the 30th if I recall correctly, if it offers competitive performance and pricing it could be a worthwhile upgrade, or affect the pricing of the NVIDIA cards which you could upgrade to if they're offering the performance for the price you like.

In my honest opinion I think the GTX 1070 and above NVIDIA cards are overpriced, NVIDIA are free to price things at whatever they like because AMD haven't brought a competing product to market yet. I think it would be a good idea to wait and see what Vega offers and see if you like it, if it offers competitive performance and pricing it could make NVIDIA lower their prices of their higher-end GPUs which you may or may not find more desirable over AMD's upcoming Vega.

I think the GTX 1080 is decent upgrade from a GTX 970, I'm actually targeting that kind of performance or above when I upgrade from my GTX 970, if I upgraded from my 1535MHz GTX 970 to a GTX 1080 running at a clock speed of 2GHz (which is pretty much the max OC you can get from them) I can expect a performance improvement of around 2x, this is the minimum I target when I upgrade my GPUs. However I'm not very fond of the GTX 1080's pricing, you may feel different about it though.

I'm personally holding out to see Vega's affect on the market but I'm contemplating on waiting to see the consumer Volta cards as I'm in no rush to upgrade my GPU at the moment, and waiting longer could get me a larger upgrade at a similar or lower price. I don't know when the consumer Volta cards will become available but I'm in no rush anyway.
I'd like to upgrade to a card which brings a new or existing level of performance to a lower price point, like the GTX 970 did, or something new to the high-end at a price a deem appropriate.

There is of-course the GTX 1080 Ti above it as well, which offers greater performance at a higher cost. It's down to your budget and the performance you desire really.

For your server any GPU will do, I think you might even be able to run it without a GPU and just remote into from your local network or just use integrated graphics if the motherboard has it.
How much processing power are you looking for and what's your budget?

I would wait unless it's urgent or something. If the 6 core i7 comes in at the same or similar price point it's going to be a really great CPU and maybe one of the biggest advances from Intel in the mainstream market for CPUs since the 2600K. However this time it's offering a substantial increase multi-threaded performance, not single-threaded performance.

CazTGG

Looks fine for gaming, streaming on the other hand...wait for Threadripper or the 6-core i7 before you pull the trigger.

EDIT: So i've finalized my planned build: PC Part Picker List (Canada)

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor $355.98 (Purchased)
CPU Cooler: NZXT - Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $239.99
Thermal Compound: Thermal Grizzly - Kryonaut 1g 1g Thermal Paste $16.25
Motherboard: Asus - CROSSHAIR VI HERO (WI-FI AC) ATX AM4 Motherboard $334.99
Memory: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3466 $489.99
Boot Drive: Intel - 600p Series 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $238.38
Secondary Drive: Mushkin - Reactor 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive $280.98 (Purchased)
Other Storage: Crucial - MX300 1.1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive $357.99
Other Storage: Seagate - BarraCuda Pro 8TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $523.59 (4x)
(The 4 "8 T​B Barracud​a Pro" HDD​s Will Hav​e ​RAID 5/​6 Con​figu​ration​ & ​Go In​to H​DD Enc​los​ure)
Video Card: Hydro GFX​ ​GTX 1080​ T​i Liqui​d C​ooled ​Grap​hics ​Card $1100.00*
Case: Corsair - Carbide Quiet 600Q ATX Full Tower Case $167.00
Power Supply: SeaSonic - X Series 1250W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $81.08 (Purchased)
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer $75.99
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home Full - USB 32/64-bit $130.99
Sound Card: Asus - Essence STX II 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card $301.50
Monitor: Dell - S2417DG 23.8" 2560x1440 165Hz Monitor $574.99
Other: Vantec Hard Drive Enclosure (NST-640S3R-BK) $159.99
Total: 7,000.45

I'll be ordering the parts in the coming weeks to replace my busted PC.

*Price not final

LilJoka

I just traded a GTX 970 for an Asus Strix A8G GTX 1080 for £180 :D

Only just hooked it up but haven't been able to test it out in the ITX build for thermals. It's so much bigger than the 970. The PSU cables are pushing on the card, hopefully it's not stressing the card too much since it's so far from the actual PCIE slot.

Socreges

Banned
Can try HWINFO with RTSS

MSI Afterburner/RTSS is an easy and common solution. It is also a nice screenshot tool and you can configure it to your liking. You can also combine HWinfo with RTSS to get even more values.

random example

I've been happy with CoreTemp. Has helped me resolve overheating issues three times so far.
CoreTemp seems much simpler. Is that the way to go if I'm not interested in overclocking and don't anticipate issues?

Also, Windows 10. What's the cheapest way to get a license (legally)? Looks like there are some very cheap ones on Amazon, but I'm not sure if they're legit

Sami+

Yo GAF, what's the best way of checking if my gfx card is dying? HDMI audio is fucking up all of a sudden and today I started getting DirectX11 errors in FF XIV. I have a GTX 760 I got about three years ago.

Upgrading would be rad but it seems like now is a bad time to buy since the 1060/1070 and their AMD equivalents are all being scalped, right? I wanna make absolutely sure that my card is the problem before dropping cash on a new one, but even if it is I don't know where I'm supposed to get a new one at a reasonable price lol.

shiptoncraig

Neo Member
I'm wanting to build my first PC after my laptop died and have a good idea of what I can get for my particular budget (about £1000). That being said there's a nagging feeling that I need to spend more to enable more potential upgrades in the future.

Am I being ridiculous even thinking about this? Is it even worth anticipating the future at this point?

luffeN

A friend of mine has a strange issue. Win 10, Hyper X Cloud headset (non-usb) and Discord. When we are in a channel and talk, I can sometimes hear the sound of the game or the stream (Twitch) he is watching when using the headset. It is a random issue and we can only replicate it by muting the mic, strangely enough.

Does anyone have any idea? Might it be a Discord setting?

Only just hooked it up but haven't been able to test it out in the ITX build for thermals. It's so much bigger than the 970. The PSU cables are pushing on the card, hopefully it's not stressing the card too much since it's so far from the actual PCIE slot.

Oh that's cool, did you trade with a friend or did you find a really good deal?

Yo GAF, what's the best way of checking if my gfx card is dying? HDMI audio is fucking up all of a sudden and today I started getting DirectX11 errors in FF XIV. I have a GTX 760 I got about three years ago.

Upgrading would be rad but it seems like now is a bad time to buy since the 1060/1070 and their AMD equivalents are all being scalped, right? I wanna make absolutely sure that my card is the problem before dropping cash on a new one, but even if it is I don't know where I'm supposed to get a new one at a reasonable price lol.

Do you have any other games or HDMI cables to try? Also, is anything overclocked and have you tried updating or downgrading drivers?

I'm wanting to build my first PC after my laptop died and have a good idea of what I can get for my particular budget (about £1000). That being said there's a nagging feeling that I need to spend more to enable more potential upgrades in the future.

Am I being ridiculous even thinking about this? Is it even worth anticipating the future at this point?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by needing to spend more to enable more potential upgrades in the future? I presume you're talking about getting a higher-end platform like Intel's X299 or AMD's Threadripper platform?

Investing in these platforms don't necessarily enable more upgrades in the future unless you're talking about expanding memory and running more SSDs etc. Due their additional PCI-E lanes you may be able to run more things like SSDs, they also have more ram slots and quad channel memory so you can add over 64GB of ram.

If I was building a system to last 3+ years from now I'd be leaning towards building a system with 6+ cores, as more games are scaling past 4 cores and the software I use takes advantage of more than 4 cores. So AMD's 6+ core Ryzen CPUs or even Intel's 6+ core CPUs on X299 platform.

However, for CPUs on the mainstream platform I'd be looking towards a 6 core Ryzen or maybe even go all out and get an 8 core Ryzen versus Intel's 4 core i7s as it's offering more performance for the price compared to Intel's CPUs for pretty much everything but gaming. The Threadripper platform isn't available yet however it sounds like an incredible competitor to the X299 platform.

I think it would be best to invest in a platform which suits your needs today, and if it's performance improves in the future as the CPU's cores are better utilized than that's a plus.

I would wait to see what Coffee lake brings to the market, if it has 6 cores it maybe be one of the biggest advances Intel has made in the mainstream CPU market for a long time.

ISee

There is no golden rule when it comes to 'future proofing'.
For example RAM is very expansive right now, but it is safe to assume that at one point in the future games will start to utilize more than 16GB of RAM. Is it cost effective to invest into 32GB of ddr4 @ 3200MHz now or to get new 32GB of even faster ddr4 in 3-5 years? Does it make sense to save money and just get an i5 7600k/ r5 1600 now and get a better CPU in 3-5 years or is it better to get a new high end x299 CPU from the beginning? Is it better to to get a 750€ GPU now, enjoy games on ultra settings for sometime, while having to dial back settings in the future over a timeperiod of 4-5 years or to buy a new 350€-400€ GPU every 2-3 years? Long story short: there is no golden rule here. Optimize your build for your current needs and stay as close to your budget as possible. If you want to play it safe and delay the upgrade cycle for a year or maybe two buy slightly better than what you need. For example if you want to play at 1080p/60 on high settings get an i7/r7 and a gtx 1070 instead of an r5 and a gtx 1060/rx 580. Or go all out, it's your money to spend, but never forget you'll have to upgrade in 4-5 years anyway.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
There is no golden rule when it comes to 'future proofing'.
For example RAM is very expansive right now, but it is safe to assume that at one point in the future games will start to utilize more than 16GB of RAM. Is it cost effective to invest into 32GB of ddr4 @ 3200MHz now or to get new 32GB of even faster ddr4 in 3-5 years? Does it make sense to save money and just get an i5 7600k/ r5 1600 now and get a better CPU in 3-5 years or is it better to get a new high end x299 CPU from the beginning? Is it better to to get a 750€ GPU now, enjoy games on ultra settings for sometime, while having to dial back settings in the future over a timeperiod of 4-5 years or to buy a new 350€-400€ GPU every 2-3 years? Long story short: there is no golden rule here. Optimize your build for your current needs and stay as close to your budget as possible. If you want to play it safe and delay the upgrade cycle for a year or maybe two buy slightly better than what you need. For example if you want to play at 1080p/60 on high settings get an i7/r7 and a gtx 1070 instead of an r5 and a gtx 1060/rx 580. Or go all out, it's your money to spend, but never forget you'll have to upgrade in 4-5 years anyway.

very good advice!

the bold part is exactly what i did. everyone told me an i7 was useless and i should just get an i5-****K and that i should get a 1060 instead of a 1070 if i'm just playing at 1080p. sure the 1070 is aimed at 1440p but for how long? it'll last even longer if i'm playing at 1080p. same goes for the 1060...it might be a good 1080p card but i'd have to upgrade that 1060 sooner than my 1070.

my first build i stuck to my budget and as a result it meant i got a CPU that couldn't overclock and the GPU i bought was already a 1 year old. it was a good PC but a year and a half later i wasn't happy with it anymore so i built my current PC and decided to spend a bit more. it's been over a year now and i'm quite happy with it and i should get a long time out of it yet.

very good advice!

the bold part is exactly what i did. everyone told me an i7 was useless and i should just get an i5-****K and that i should get a 1060 instead of a 1070 if i'm just playing at 1080p. sure the 1070 is aimed at 1440p but for how long? it'll last even longer if i'm playing at 1080p. same goes for the 1060...it might be a good 1080p card but i'd have to upgrade that 1060 sooner than my 1070.

my first build i stuck to my budget and as a result it meant i got a CPU that couldn't overclock and the GPU i bought was already a 1 year old. it was a good PC but a year and a half later i wasn't happy with it anymore so i built my current PC and decided to spend a bit more. it's been over a year now and i'm quite happy with it and i should get a long time out of it yet.

I feel your pain on that one. I got fobbed off twice by going to a local computer shop to build/upgrade my PC years back. I ended up with an i5 I couldn't overclock, slow as shit RAM, a shit PSU and worst of all, a huge tower case that despite it's exterior size, was a stuggle to even fit a 560TI inside it. To top it off, it was about £150 if not more overpriced.

At the time, it was more than adequate to play 360/PS3 era games but as soon as the PS4/X1 came out and developers started pumping up required specs, it went to shit.

very good advice!

Even at 1080p a GTX 1070 is beneficial and can run higher graphical settings and frame-rates. I don't agree with those that say you should get a GTX 1060 over a 1070 for playing games at 1080p, it's all about the performance and visuals you desire. You can also ride out the GTX 1070 for longer if you're satisfied with it's performance.

It's not like the GTX 1060 can run every game at a 1080 60 fps with max settings, not to say that max settings is anything you should gravitate towards as newer games can become more demanding and some are games more demanding than others, I think chasing max settings is silly unless you're prepared to continuously upgrade, run multi-gpu setups or something.

I care about running settings which hit the frame-rate target I desire and prioritize a balance of performance and visuals. I'm not fussed if it's running at max settings, but if the GPU can run a game at max settings than that's great!

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Even at 1080p a GTX 1070 is beneficial and can run higher graphical settings and frame-rates. I don't agree with those that say you should get a GTX 1060 over a 1070 for playing at 1080p, it's all about the performance you desire.

You can also ride out the GTX 1070 for longer if you're satisfied with it's performance.

i actually only play a few games at 1080p now. getting a 1070 has allowed me to render at 1440p and downsample. i only play at 60fps so right now it is more than enough for me. i prefer a solid 60fps so will take a lower resolution sometimes but only a few games have required that.

once my 1070 struggles with 1440p then i'll just stop downsampling and go back to 1080p. i imagine it'll be a while yet before i want to upgrade which is fine for me because i really don't want to spend money on a 1440p monitor and then upgrade to 4K. i'd rather just hold off until 4K becomes more affordable then i'll move up to 4K 60fps.

LilJoka

Oh that's cool, did you trade with a friend or did you find a really good deal?

A friend, don't know though, not hugely impressed.

It's really loud and really runs hot, quickly reaching 82c. For a card that's a lot less TDP than my heavily overclocked 970, it's a bit odd.

I just took it apart and gave it a bit of a clean, hopefully it helps somewhat. It wasn't exactly clogged with dust though.

GTA v is running 4k60 with my settings from the 970, Witcher 3 4k45-55fps. Overwatch really makes the card hot and loud at 4K. On the 970 I did 4K 60% scaling 140fps 75c. This is doing 75% scale but 82c and very loud fans.

It's really loud and really runs hot, quickly reaching 82c. For a card that's a lot less TDP than my heavily overclocked 970, it's a bit odd.

I just took it apart and gave it a bit of a clean, hopefully it helps somewhat. It wasn't exactly clogged with dust though.

GTA v is running 4k60 with my settings from the 970, Witcher 3 4k45-55fps. Overwatch really makes the card hot and loud at 4K. On the 970 I did 4K 60% scaling 140fps 75c. This is doing 75% scale but 82c and very loud fans.

Hmm, what model is it? Is that the founders edition?
EDIT: Oh I just remembered you said it was the Strix, that seems pretty hot.

i actually only play a few games at 1080p now. getting a 1070 has allowed me to render at 1440p and downsample. i only play at 60fps so right now it is more than enough for me. i prefer a solid 60fps so will take a lower resolution sometimes but only a few games have required that.

once my 1070 struggles with 1440p then i'll just stop downsampling and go back to 1080p. i imagine it'll be a while yet before i want to upgrade which is fine for me because i really don't want to spend money on a 1440p monitor and then upgrade to 4K. i'd rather just hold off until 4K becomes more affordable then i'll move up to 4K 60fps.

I see what you mean about buying a monitor, I would like my next monitor to be over 25 inches and have a refresh rate of 144Hz and G-sync or FreeSync with a resolution of 1440p or above. I don't mind spending quite a bit for it as I usually keep my monitors for over 5 years and use them for a bunch of stuff.

kuYuri

I had the Strix 8G, the one below the Strix A8G. My typical load temps were around 65°C, yours does seem a bit high.

ISee

That's very high for a 1080 strix. I'm running one at 2063MHz and temperatures are below 70°C with ~60% fan speed. (22°C ambient)
But I'm also using a big case with plenty of airflow and room. Still 82°C seem way too high, especially without manual overclocking.

If Coffee Lake is indeed 6-core, what's the earliest availability?

Really no way to say. Late fall 2017. Maybe.

LilJoka

I've cleaned it out, and my case. It's now sitting at 77c in Witcher 3 at unlimited fps 1440p.
It's pretty quiet now, but I don't get why it's so hot still. Case is open as well.

My ambient is 22c as well.

It doesn't overclock either, 100mhz on core and it's doing 2ghz in overwatch menus and all sorts of artifacting.

60% fan speed is like an airplane taking off. I'm using 35% by 70c and 50% by 80c.

The default fan curve is bringing the temps down in Witcher 3 to 66c and boosting to 1911mhz.
But guys this is too loud! Imagine if your console sounded like this?!

ISee

I've cleaned it out, and my case. It's now sitting at 77c in Witcher 3 at unlimited fps 1440p.
It's pretty quiet now, but I don't get why it's so hot still. Case is open as well.

My ambient is 22c as well.

It doesn't overclock either, 100mhz on core and it's doing 2ghz in overwatch menus and all sorts of artifacting.

60% fan speed is like an airplane taking off. I'm using 35% by 70c and 50% by 80c.

60% should still be 'relatively' quiet in the first place, but whatever.
There is no way to mod a pascal bios so we can assume that all voltage levels are as intented. How is the temperature at stock fan settings?
Did your friend maybe ever try to reapply thermalpaste (for whatever reason) and did it wrong (somehow)?

Edit: 66°C sounds about right and I'm not able to hear the gpu fans in my case. But maybe your fans are faulty. No way to tell without hearing them at stock speed.

And just for info. My Ps4pro is loud as shit.

Top Bottom