• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

ISee

Oh shit really? Saved me a lot of money if I don't need to do a new mobo/cpu.

If that's the case, then I'm just going to order this guy:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16814126187

Is that a good choice? Thanks folks!

(also might go to 32gig of RAM because I'm also a game-dev artist. Any reccomendations for good ram?)

Good pick, the asus 10series strix cards are very good.
No idea about ram for professional use. For gaming, higher clock speeds are preferable and useful to further boost CPU performance.

Good pick, the asus 10series strix cards are very good.
No idea about ram for professional use. For gaming, higher clock speeds are preferable and useful to further boost CPU performance.

Well shit, if that's all the case. Damn they have it at Fry's now I might just go grab it!

And might just get a monitor too... I'm torn between

LG 27UD58-B 27-Inch 4K UHD IPS Monitor

AND

ASUS PB277Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 75Hz 1ms

Someone was stating that 4k monitor is unnecessary at 27". And I'd get more bang for my buck with the WQHD version of a monitor. Anyone know?

You guys saved me a lot of time and stress! Thanks!

RS4-

Well shit, if that's all the case. Damn they have it at Fry's now I might just go grab it!

AND

Someone was stating that 4k monitor is unnecessary at 27". And I'd get more bang for my buck with the WQHD version of a monitor. Anyone know?

Just a note, since you're looking at the 10xx card, the LG monitor you linked is a freesync one.

If you're considering gsync, look at the Dell S2417DG.

And for ram, you'd either have to get a new 32GB kit or find the same brand, and timing of your current 16GB set. Mixing and matching brands and timings is a 50/50 kind of thing, doesn't work for everyone. Or you could find another 16GB set and try to match the timings, but still, 50/50.

Ryzen has more cores, than Intel, so more future proof. Coffee Lake, only up to 6 cores, will be announced tomorrow, but won't be out till around December most likely. As for the other parts, I picked parts I would use myself, and from companies I have and will use again.

You mentioned video editing and 3d modeling in the last page. AMD currently has the advantage (more cores and multi-thread performance for less money). The better Intel consumer chips for workstations (core i9) are a lot more expensive.

Since your budget was big we both went with top of the line in various places. The motherboard I selected was a "well may as well chose the best one I see" situation.

1800x is the top of the Ryzen 7 line and 1700X the one that follows, so we were aiming for the best multi-thread performance for that budget. (there's a higher tier with AMD threadripper but the build would go over budget)

I wasn't sure what it is recommended to cool a 1800X so I chose a cooler that may be too much. Bloodember choose a more reasonable cooler for the 1700X.

We both chose 1080ti, which is the best graphics card you can buy at the moment.

Bloodember found 32GB of RAM for a much better price. I would personally aim for 32 GB as well if you are building it for video editing.

The Monitor I chose is more expensive, aiming at professional design (again, you mentioned photography, etc), but I'm sure the LG is great. Both are IPS, the Benq is just a little better.

500GB SSD for your OS and other software. M.2 drive (for convenience of using less cables in my case).

Bloodember also chose a much needed additional Hard drive for storage I was feeling i reached the edge of the budget and omitted it. I would aim at 4TB as well, but personally I would get a 7200rpm HGST or Western Digital Black with 64-128MB of cache if you are planing on editing video files from it.

Thanks guys! Really appreciate it! And hopefully I'll have this built by September's end.

kennah

Located in Quebec. I'll wait for any announcements tomorrow!
Hey it’s your lucky day. I’m in Quebec and have a gtx 660 I will literally give you as a starter card to tide you over until prices straighten out and you can afford something good.

Samaritan

Your symptoms sound like my problem (I posted in the Ryzen thread), albeit with extra restart shenanigans. You're not running software to adjust the RGB lighting on the memory perchance? I was using the Corsair Link software on my pc (it was running upon startup) and it was causing issues with Thaiphoon reporting and presumably also system stability. I also had my RAM in the wrong slots, so I moved them to slots 2 and 4.

Speaking of which, have you run Thaiphoon to identify the memory chips your RAM is using?

I'm not familiar with Thaiphoon, would you mind explaining that for me?

My Trident RGB RAM is being controlled by my Asus motherboard's built-in RGB software, as well as Corsair Link for RGB fans and LED strips. Did moving your RAM solve your problem? Or did you have to stop using Corsair Link?

Bestbuy has the Dell 27" 144hz Gsync for $450 new ($400 open box), very tempted to return my $400 AOC 144hz freesync...

I recommend doing that.

I bought the S2417DG for $360 a few months back. My thinking was that a G-Sync monitor would make the most of my Nvidia GPU, and the lack of screen-tearing would quickly prove its worth. I took a chance (thanks partly to a lot of people's advice from here and reddit) and it paid off. I'm really happy I went G-Sync. No screen-tearing with 1ms response time at 1440p 165Hz is amazing.

Good price. Got mine for 500 new from there last year. Love the monitor.

I recommend doing that.

I bought the S2417DG for $360 a few months back. My thinking was that a G-Sync monitor would make the most of my Nvidia GPU, and the lack of screen-tearing would quickly prove its worth. I took a chance (thanks partly to a lot of people's advice from here and reddit) and it paid off. I'm really happy I went G-Sync. No screen-tearing with 1ms response time at 1440p 165Hz is amazing.

Hows the ghosting?

Oh god. I got the 1080ti and hooked it up, plugged it in and now Im getting no power at all. Pressing the button does nothing. No idea what happened. Any ideas?

I noticed the gpu needed two 8 pin connectors, Im not sure if its exactly right. But would that prevent it from booting?

Any help would be appreciated, freaking out atm
(Disconnecting gpu my comp starts up)

Is 620watts enough for the 1080ti?

(Does it matter where the pcie power cable is plugged?)

Oh god. I got the 1080ti and hooked it up, plugged it in and now Im getting no power at all. Pressing the button does nothing. No idea what happened. Any ideas?

I noticed the gpu needed two 8 pin connectors, Im not sure if its exactly right. But would that prevent it from booting?

Any help would be appreciated, freaking out atm
(Disconnecting gpu my comp starts up)

Is 620watts enough for the 1080ti?

(Does it matter where the pcie power cable is plugged?)

You need to put plug in both 8-pin PCIE power cables.

You need to put plug in both 8-pin PCIE power cables.
I did it looks like this
https://i.imgur.com/c9oFC8V.png

Shit.

I reaized my psu only has one 8 pin pcie connection point... am I screwed

(If anyone can walk me through/help me ill repay you! (Skype or imessage))

Do the pcie connectors have to be connected to the pcie slots on my psu? Because there is one 8 pin (2 4's) that is just coming out of the big bundle of cords. Is that pcie also?

RS4-

What's your specific Seasonic model for the 620w?

Possible that you could have two PCIE cables that are 6+2 or
Single 8 pin that is attached to your PSU, that splits into two 6+2 cables that go to your GPU.

That unsleeved cable, I don't think that's PCIE.

I did it looks like this
https://i.imgur.com/c9oFC8V.png

Shit.

I reaized my psu only has one 8 pin pcie connection point... am I screwed

(If anyone can walk me through/help me ill repay you! (Skype or imessage))

Do the pcie connectors have to be connected to the pcie slots on my psu? Because there is one 8 pin (2 4's) that is just coming out of the big bundle of cords. Is that pcie also?
The yellow one looks like the 8-pin ATX cable for your CPU. You should check your PSU's owner's manual and make sure you're using the right cables.... is this a new build ??

^ Also yeah, that red one looks a bit strange. Check the manual!

RS4-

https://i.imgur.com/0hbKMBt.jpg

Ahhh shit. Do I need a new psu? Crap... what should I get Ill run to frys again. Thanks for helping

nonono lol don't go to frys just yet.

It looks like you have your PCIE cables already plugged into the PSU, at least judging from the pic. It's just that the first pic you posted, one of the cables is right, but the other isn't? https://imgur.com/c9oFC8V the black/yellow one is fine, it's just the black/red one I'm concerned about.

Ok! I've been posting a bit here, I need to upgrade my GPU (Badlyyy), but I haven't upgraded anything in 4-5 years. I wonder if anyone knows if any of my stuff is still useable? I'd greatly appreciate it.

(For sure going to get a 1080TI, although not sure if my mobo can support it).

My current old build:

GPU: Geforce GTX 570
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge Quad-Core 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo)
MEM: 16gb (8gb x2) DDR3
MOBO: ASRock Z77 Pro3 LGA 1155 Intel Z77
PSU: Seasonic 620W

Any ideas?

Still think I should get a better case and getting a monitor as well.

Thank you!

The yellow one looks like the 8-pin ATX cable for your CPU. You should check your PSU's owner's manual and make sure you're using the right cables.... is this a new build ??

^ Also yeah, that red one looks a bit strange. Check the manual!

No this is an old build and Im inserting a GtX1080ti into it! I dont have my old mobo or psu stuff... crappp.

It looks like you have your PCIE cables already plugged into the PSU, at least judging from the pic. It's just that the first pic you posted, one of the cables is right, but the other isn't.

Hmmmm. Because there is that 12 pin slot for pcie on my psu, im running the two six cords to the adapter that came with the gpu (the red one) that turns that 12 into 8. Then I have a generic 8 pin (2x 4) coming from my psu that im shoving into the gpu 8 slot...

If that makes sense. Gahhhhh

It looks like you have your PCIE cables already plugged into the PSU, at least judging from the pic. It's just that the first pic you posted, one of the cables is right, but the other isn't? https://imgur.com/c9oFC8V the black/yellow one is fine, it's just the black/red one I'm concerned about.
Black red one is from the gpu, its a 12 to 8 pin adapter. Does that not work?
https://m.imgur.com/qmEYuFH
https://m.imgur.com/xTlTcWf

(Ive noticed now that when I try turning it on, nothing happens but two little white leds from the gpu turn on (near connection))

RS4-

The two PCIE cables that are plugged into the PSU, what are the ends? Is it just one 6 pin, while the other cable is 6+2?

Take out both your PCIE cables, and the adapter and take a pic if you can.

Judging by the PSU, I think they only included a 6+2, and a 6.

No this is an old build and Im inserting a GtX1080ti into it! I dont have my old mobo or psu stuff... crappp.

Hmmmm. Because there is that 12 pin slot for pcie on my psu, im running the two six cords to the adapter that came with the gpu (the red one) that turns that 12 into 8. Then I have a generic 8 pin (2x 4) coming from my psu that im shoving into the gpu 8 slot...

If that makes sense. Gahhhhh

Black red one is from the gpu, its a 12 to 8 pin adapter. Does that not work?
https://m.imgur.com/qmEYuFH
https://m.imgur.com/xTlTcWf

(Ive noticed now that when I try turning it on, nothing happens but two little white leds from the gpu turn on (near connection))

That's not a "generic 8 pin", that is almost assuredly a second CPU 8 pin ATX. Usually the cables are labelled.

Look at the PSU in your case to figure out the model number, then look up the manual online. If it only supports two 6 pin VGA cables then I guess you could use a molex adapter or something for the second 8 pin.... Not sure, you'll have to look it up. But yeah, that yellow one is not a PCI-E/VGA cable.

The two PCIE cables that are plugged into the PSU, what are the ends? Is it just one 6 pin, while the other cable is 6+2?

Take out both your PCIE cables, and the adapter and take a pic if you can.

Judging by the PSU, I think they only included a 6+2, and a 6.
https://i.imgur.com/wuYsHF5.jpg

The two yellow ones plugged into the pcie slot of the psu is one 6(+2) and one 6. The one coming out of the big psu port is 2x 4 slot (8 slots together?)

Thank you so much for helping still btw

That's not a "generic 8 pin", that is almost assuredly a second CPU 8 pin ATX. Usually the cables are labelled.

Look at the PSU in your case to figure out the model number, then look up the manual online. If it only supports two 6 pin VGA cables then I guess you could use a molex adapter or something for the second 8 pin.... Not sure, you'll have to look it up. But yeah, that yellow one is not a PCI-E/VGA cable.
Ok I think you are right. Didnt know there was a difference but yea the yellow 8 pin is just like the one plugged near my cpu. So that does not work. But the two 6pins pcie to the 8pin adapter works.

Do I need to get an adapter than for my psu to have another 8 pin? Molex adapter?

Ok I think you are right. Didnt know there was a difference but yea the yellow 8 pin is just like the one plugged near my cpu. So that does not work. But the two 6pins pcie to the 8pin adapter works.

Do I need to get an adapter than for my psu to have another 8 pin? Molex adapter?

No need for two 6-pin to 8-pin if you already have a 6+2. So it looks like your PSU for PCI-E power has 6+2 and one 6 (the 6+2 is the same thing as an 8 when you plug in both sides).

To deal with the other one that's just a 6.... I think there are adapters that take SATA power from the PSU and convert it to an 8 pin, but I don't have experience with those.

I think what we should do is figure out what model of PSU you have and double check what cables you have available. Check the label on da PSU.

No need for two 6-pin to 8-pin if you already have a 6+2. So it looks like your PSU for PCI-E power has 6+2 and one 6 (the 6+2 is the same thing as an 8 when you plug in both sides).

To deal with the other one that's just a 6.... I think there are adapters that take SATA power from the PSU and convert it to an 8 pin, but I don't have experience with those.

I think what we should do is figure out what model of PSU you have and double check what cables you have available. Check the label on da PSU.
https://i.imgur.com/goW6Yy5.png

Are these the ones you are talking about that I can get an adapter for?

https://i.imgur.com/WNqY7Hl.jpg
This is the label!

Ill run to frys and look!

Thank youu. Do you think that adapeter would suffice? Or should I go for a new psu.

There technically are adapters out there (like dual sata to 8 pin) but I don't think I'd trust them. I actually had a molex adapter catch fire on me before...

I imagine this PSU must be what, 6-7 years old? If I were you I would probably just replace it, maybe with something nice like an EVGA G3 650W or thereabouts.

That said, you may want to wait for some of the (other) regulars to chime in, who may have more first-hand experience with these types of adapters.

Hows the ghosting?

Same question here. I'm seriously considering picking up the Dell tonight if it sounds good.

I'm using the S2417DG (24" model that overclocks to 165Hz), so the panel isn't the exact same one as the S2716DG although they are probably very similar. I honestly haven't noticed ghosting, but I just went and played some ABZU and Rocket League, and ran some online ghosting tests to make sure I'm giving you accurate info.

After scrutinizing edges while whipping the camera around in both games, I noticed minimal ghosting in ABZU but nothing in Rocket League. The ghosting in ABZU was only showing up specifically around some statues. I currently have a GTX 1060 6GB (upgrading soon), and RL was running at ~200fps while ABZU was running at 70fps in the particular area I tested. Also just tested some DOOM running at 120fps and I couldn't get any ghosting to show up.

I've never had a problem returning opened items to Best Buy. If that's the same case for you, then I would definitely give it a shot at this price.

There technically are adapters out there (like dual sata to 8 pin) but I don't think I'd trust them. I actually had a molex adapter catch fire on me before...

I imagine this PSU must be what, 6-7 years old? If I were you I would probably just replace it, maybe with something nice like an EVGA G3 650W or thereabouts.

That said, you may want to wait for some of the (other) regulars to chime in, who may have more first-hand experience with these types of adapters.
Thanks a lot for your help! Im getting this corsair tx650m. Seems like it has the cable I need...

Hopefully this works! Thanks!

I'm using the S2417DG (24" model that overclocks to 165Hz), so the panel isn't the exact same one as the S2716DG although they are probably very similar. I honestly haven't noticed ghosting, but I just went and played some ABZU and Rocket League, and ran some online ghosting tests to make sure I'm giving you accurate info.

After scrutinizing edges while whipping the camera around in both games, I noticed minimal ghosting in ABZU but nothing in Rocket League. The ghosting in ABZU was only showing up specifically around some statues. I currently have a GTX 1060 6GB (upgrading soon), and RL was running at ~200fps while ABZU was running at 70fps in the particular area I tested. Also just tested some DOOM running at 120fps and I couldn't get any ghosting to show up.

I've never had a problem returning opened items to Best Buy. If that's the same case for you, then I would definitely give it a shot at this price.

Well shit RL is one of the only games I run at 144hz. Gonna sleep on it but I may pick this up after work tomorrow and return the AOC to amazon

RS4-

Thanks a lot for your help! Im getting this corsair tx650m. Seems like it has the cable I need...

Hopefully this works! Thanks!

Yeah that one is fine, has two 6+2s.

It's possible that you could run one of those 6 to 8 pin PCIE adapters, but if getting a new PSU isn't an issue, then go for it. Better safe than sorry anyway.

And the monitor other posters are talking about, the S2714DG is good, especially since it's actually cheaper than the 24" model at Bestbuy. ($450 vs 499); iirc there are some differences between the models though, I think people prefer the 24" for various reasons that aren't price related.

Yeah that one is fine, has two 6+2s.

It's possible that you could run one of those 6 to 8 pin PCIE adapters, but if getting a new PSU isn't an issue, then go for it. Better safe than sorry anyway.

And the monitor other posters are talking about, the S2714DG is good, especially since it's actually cheaper than the 24" model at Bestbuy. ($450 vs 499); iirc there are some differences between the models though, I think people prefer the 24" for various reasons that aren't price related.

Thank you both so much for helping! I think it's working... installed the new PSU and connected the 2 6+2's and its running, got newest drivers! Still holding my breath, anything I need to do to get the 1080 working its best? Any guides?

You guys rule, I owe you both a little (steam or bliz money -- pm me what youd prefer).

Apologies if I was belligerent and chaotic in this thread, I was running around typing on my phone rushing before Frys closed... haha.

Thank you both so much for helping! I think it's working... installed the new PSU and connected the 2 6+2's and its running, got newest drivers! Still holding my breath, anything I need to do to get the 1080 working its best? Any guides?

You guys rule, I owe you both a little (steam or bliz money -- pm me what youd prefer).

Apologies if I was belligerent and chaotic in this thread, I was running around typing on my phone rushing before Frys closed... haha.

No worries, glad you got it sorted. Probably don't need to do anything, though you can check by running 3dmark firestrike and comparing the graphics score you get there to a typical value for the 1080 Ti. I imagine it's fine, just enjoy the new card.

I went and got it. Thanks for the posts! I'll post pictures of the setup tomorrow. I need a bigger desk lol.

So GAF, I'm not looking to upgrade my PC right now but I can see the horizon and want to put a few feelers out there, probably next year I'll be looking at putting some money into the PC setup.....

Current setup:
GTX970
i7 3770K OC'd to 4.4Ghz
120gb SSD
1TB HDD
Asus P8Z77-V Motherboard
16GB RAM
750W Corsair modular (gold I think) PSU
Running Windows 10

Basically I want to know what is the best way to upgrade my setup? My 970 is doing me fine right now but I think it's more my CPU and motherboard combo that I'm more concerned about as I have no idea what the new boards are like and what is compatible if I was to upgrade my CPU.

Any help you guys/gals could give me would be great!

So GAF, I'm not looking to upgrade my PC right now but I can see the horizon and want to put a few feelers out there, probably next year I'll be looking at putting some money into the PC setup.....

Current setup:
GTX970
i7 3770K OC'd to 4.4Ghz
120gb SSD
1TB HDD
Asus P8Z77-V Motherboard
16GB RAM
750W Corsair modular (gold I think) PSU
Running Windows 10

Basically I want to know what is the best way to upgrade my setup? My 970 is doing me fine right now but I think it's more my CPU and motherboard combo that I'm more concerned about as I have no idea what the new boards are like and what is compatible if I was to upgrade my CPU.

Any help you guys/gals could give me would be great!
All you need to do is drop in a new video card. Your cpu is actually still fine.

All you need to do is drop in a new video card. Your cpu is actually still fine.

Hmm interesting! I'll save up for a card first then, I think really I'm just wondering about what CPU and motherboard combo I'll need for the future but if you think I'm fine to rock that for a good while then I guess I'll ask that question in a year or so aha.

Cheers :)

Peterthumpa

Aren't they both in the $300 range?

Nah, I was watching some reviews, and it looks like the Ryzen 1600 is the best bang for the buck, especially when overclocked. I know, missing 2 cores, but it looks future proofed enough for what I'm willing to spend.

NEO0MJ

Nah, I was watching some reviews, and it looks like the Ryzen 1600 is the best bang for the buck, especially when overclocked. I know, missing 2 cores, but it looks future proofed enough for what I'm willing to spend.

I see. I just assumed that since you were willing to go with the top end GPU that you'd want follow suit when it came to the CPU.

ISee

AND

27" and 4k is very fine and an improvement over 1080p and 1440p at 27". The problem here is the amount of GPU power needed to push for consisten 60 fps at 2160p. Even with a 1080Ti you'll strugle sometimes and ultra settings aren't possible in many cases. I prefer to wait for stronger GPUs and 4k/hdr to become affordable before making that jump tbh.

I did upgrade to 1440p/60 last year though, which is nice but for sure not as good as going straigt to 4k. I considered getting the asus PB277Q but decided against it because it's just a TN panel based display. I went with the PB278Q instead. Just 60 Hz but a much better looking overall image and 100% sRGB range. Games look very good on it and 60 fps on my strix 1080 (non ti) at reasonable ultra settings are so far doable.

Don't listen to that guy. 7700K is on a dead platform, about to be replaced by expensive Coffee Lake and 300-series mobos next month or later. Get a 1600 now and you have at least two more gens of AM4-platform CPUs to drop in should you feel the need.

Top Bottom