• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

Lurra

Neo Member
Hi everyone! I need to upgrade my desktop pc (8 years old, preassembled).
A friend of mine is selling me this components for a friendly price:

-AMD CPU FX-8350, 4,00GHZ, SOCK AM3+, 16MB CACHE, 125W, BOX
-ASUS Crosshair V Formula. Tipi di memoria supportati: DDR3-SDRAM
-Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B Vengeance (16G)
(total 250euros)

And I have an old R6950 Twin Frozr III Power Edition/OC

So i was wondering what else should I buy to complete my pc and if you could help me in choosing something good but not too much expensive!

What I need to do : Some minor gaming( I have a ps4 already), post production of photos and graphics and illustration in general+ video editing

Voidwolf

Nvidia is once again giving Destiny 2 codes. For anyone who, like me, purchased a 1080 or 1080Ti in the past couple of months when no game codes were being given out be sure to contact customer support of whatever vendor you went through. Newegg just gave me a code after I contacted them about it and I bought my 1080Ti on 7/30.

Hmm interesting! I'll save up for a card first then, I think really I'm just wondering about what CPU and motherboard combo I'll need for the future but if you think I'm fine to rock that for a good while then I guess I'll ask that question in a year or so aha.

Cheers :)

For sure. If I were you I'd probably be thinking about the Intel 8700k at some point in the future (perhaps mid next year?), as it should be a very good chip and would last you a very long time. But for now the 3770k is still surprisingly competent. One of the upsides of the stagnant CPU business (up until the last year-ish).

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I was hoping someone could help me with this.

I'm swapping out my Motherboard and CPU, going from Intel to Ryzen. I got my Windows 10 from the free upgrade program, and don't have a key. Is it possible to swap out the hardware without needing to buy another copy of Windows 10?

ISee

I was hoping someone could help me with this.

I'm swapping out my Motherboard and CPU, going from Intel to Ryzen. I got my Windows 10 from the free upgrade program, and don't have a key. Is it possible to swap out the hardware without needing to buy another copy of Windows 10?

As long as the key is bound to your microsoft account you should've no problems activating windows 10 on a new PC.

Just install windows 10 on your new PC, login and verify your installation with your microsoft account. After that deactivate your old PC on you microsoft account. Voila, done.

https://account.microsoft.com/

BTW, installing win10 from an usb 3.0 drive is super fast. Just download microsofts media creation tool, plug in an empty usb drive, wait and you're done. Your MB needs to support booting from usb though (most do).

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
As long as the key is bound to your microsoft account you should've no problems activating windows 10 on a new PC.

Just install windows 10 on your new PC, login and verify your installation with your microsoft account. After that deactivate your old PC on you microsoft account. Voila, done.

BTW, installing win10 from an usb 3.0 drive is super fast. Just download microsofts media creation tool, plug in an empty usb drive, wait and you're done. Your MB needs to support booting from usb though (most do).

Thank you! I'm going to give it a shot.

Mrbob

Don't listen to that guy. 7700K is on a dead platform, about to be replaced by expensive Coffee Lake and 300-series mobos next month or later. Get a 1600 now and you have at least two more gens of AM4-platform CPUs to drop in should you feel the need.

This brings up an interesting question. I keep reading online that intel is going to require a Z370 mobo for Coffee Lake, yet they might introduce a Z390 series early 2018 that will be compatible with future cpus while the Z370 may not? Intel always makes this so confusing it gets annoying.

NEO0MJ

Don't listen to that guy. 7700K is on a dead platform, about to be replaced by expensive Coffee Lake and 300-series mobos next month or later. Get a 1600 now and you have at least two more gens of AM4-platform CPUs to drop in should you feel the need.

I never said he should buy a 7700K >.>

Nvidia is once again giving Destiny 2 codes. For anyone who, like me, purchased a 1080 or 1080Ti in the past couple of months when no game codes were being given out be sure to contact customer support of whatever vendor you went through. Newegg just gave me a code after I contacted them about it and I bought my 1080Ti on 7/30.
I bought mine from best buy two months ago. I wonder if I'm covered.

This brings up an interesting question. I keep reading online that intel is going to require a Z370 mobo for Coffee Lake, yet they might introduce a Z390 series early 2018 that will be compatible with future cpus while the Z370 may not? Intel always makes this so confusing it gets annoying.

Well to be fair to Intel, those products aren't out yet.. I don't think we'll know for certain until they announce them.

LordAlu

Does anyone have any more information on this yet? Is it worth for me to wait?

EDIT: Thanks opticalmace. So we don't have any information on the CPU? lol
Pretty much all we found out today was the info on the official box images.
Ix2ArNdlBUW0vXDu.jpg

P8oyvt03sr6KhkKB.jpg

All this confirms is the Core i5 and Core i7s are hexa-core (with the Core i7 having HyperThreading), they have Intel UHD 630 graphics (exactly the same power as before but with support for certain 4K standards etc) and that they require a 300-series chipset motherboard.

According to TechPowerUp, the Core i5 and Core i7 launch tomorrow, although they don't list a source. This is likely a paper launch, since the Intel slides show actual launch won't be till fall, so late September at the earliest.

kevin1025

Banned

I had no idea you could switch the verification onto a new PC if it's tied to your account! I thought it was just a flat out new key needed every time. That saves me so much money, haha.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
For gaming CPUs aren't that big of a deal. A 2500k still obliterates console CPUs. If you bought anything within the last two years you'll be alright for a while still. I'll be fine with my 7700k for two to three years. But I would've gotten a coffeelake if Intel let me. You don't want my money that's fine. That's a lot of food and shoes I could buy.

Hey I don't know if you guys know this, but drilling through your radiator isn't a good idea.

Oh, and definitely don't do it while the radiator is inside of your case, you know, unless you like fluid leaking into your case.

I was about to ask people about that, hopefully Newegg doesn't try to wriggle out of giving me a code, since I bought it through their eBay store

Jet.com, doesn't give out those codes, so it looks like I'm out of luck.

kennah

Hey I don't know if you guys know this, but drilling through your radiator isn't a good idea.

Oh, and definitely don't do it while the radiator is inside of your case, you know, unless you like fluid leaking into your case.
What were you trying to do?

Mrbob

This comes from wccftech so take it with some grain of salt but it does raise some info on the Coffee Lake motherboard situation:

http://wccftech.com/intel-8th-gen-cpu-launch-kaby-lake-cannonlake-coffee-lake/

What’s interesting is that we have a bit more information on the Coffee Lake launch. The Coffee Lake processors will be announced earlier but they won’t be available in the market up till early October. The processors will launch along side the Z370 family while the budget aimed B360 and H370 chipsets will be available later in Q4 2017. There will also be a new chipset known as Z390 which will be offered for 8th generation desktop processors but no details are available on that specific SKU. Finally, we have the first official packaging pictures of the Intel Core i7 and Core i5 desktop range of processors that you can see below.

So it looks like there will be separate 370 and 390 chip sets, why do this Intel. Don't know why people wouldn't hold out for the Z390 motherboards. Especially since the Z270 can't support Coffee Lake.

What were you trying to do?

I was drilling into my case with the radiator still in there; the goal was to start opening up a bit of space since a portion of the radiator was blocked by the case, and I was looking to improve airflow through the radiator.

However, before drilling, I unscrewed the radiator most of the way, leaving it just barely attached to the screws; it's a bit of a pain to remove all the way and I thought there'd be enough clearance when the bit went through. I've drilled quite a bit of things in my life, but never metal. I for some reason had the thought that I could drill through the thin case very slowly and not cause the drill bit to go through too far once it broke through the case.

I obviously very sorely miscalculated this on multiple levels. Obviously wrecked my radiator so that's toast. The lesson learned is 1) don't be a dumbass with power tools and 2) don't be lazy and just take out anything that's behind what you want to drill into.

Honestly, I really was using the drill on a fairly low speed. I was really surprised it damaged the radiator what seemed like very easily. Again, a gross miscalculation of all sorts here. I was fortunate that the radiator is in the front of the case with nothing underneath it, so as it started to drip out, it was just falling into the empty case below, where I had a towel anyway to catch metal shavings.

ISee

This comes from wccftech so take it with some grain of salt but it does raise a little lite on the Coffee Lake motherboard situation:

http://wccftech.com/intel-8th-gen-cpu-launch-kaby-lake-cannonlake-coffee-lake/

So it looks like there will be separate 370 and 390 chip sets, why do this Intel. Don't know why people wouldn't hold out for the Z390 motherboards. Especially since the Z270 can't support Coffee Lake.

Because z370 is identical to z270. Apparently Intel is really rushing Coffe Lake to make it available in 2017 instead of 2018 (as planned). New coffee lake boards were planned to support native usb 3.1 (we are currently still using third party chips for that) and native WiFi on every board, but Intel isn't done developing them (this will be z390). So in a hurry Intel decided to hand out new micro code to make z270 compatible with Coffee Lake to their board partner. Some people were able to get their hands on updated z270 bios versions with that micro code integrated (through ASUS) and flashed their z270 board with it. Voila z270 is comatible with kably and coffee lake:

8juv5cezib1q.png

But Intel isn't stupid and knew that people would just get their hands on said bios versions, so they also decided to make small adjustments to the pin layout on coffee lake...
smart, very dirty and extremely annoying bull shit. I didn't plan to upgrade my 7700k, but I'm still a tiny bit salty to be honest.

Source (in german though)

Just sold my old PC for $300 and decided to put that toward a 1080 with Destiny 2 packed in. Probably dumb to cash out on that when my CPU is kind underpowered but 🤷.

What do y'all think is a good asking price for a EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SC GAMING ACX 2.0?

I sold my Gigabyte 960 4GB for $140 on Ebay a month ago. I'd guess $180-$215 for the 970 on Ebay, which is usually a 10-15% premium over in-person or Craigslist sales, IMO.

Mrbob

Yeah that seems super shady of Intel...if the Z270 can support coffee lake let motherboards update their bios to support Coffee Lake. So the Z370 is just rebadged Z270 that can support coffee lake while the Z390 is the new chipset. All I ask of intel is supporting two generations of cpus with one motherboard. It's always my hesitation with Intel.

Because z370 is identical to z270. Apparently Intel is really rushing Coffe Lake to make it available in 2017 instead of 2018 (as planned). New coffee lake boards were planned to support native usb 3.1 (we are currently still using third party chips for that) and native WiFi on every board, but Intel isn't done developing them (this will be z390). So in a hurry Intel decided to hand out new micro code to make z270 compatible with Coffee Lake to their board partner. Some people were able to get their hands on updated z270 bios versions with that micro code integrated (through ASUS) and flashed their z270 board with it. Voila z270 is comatible with kably and coffee lake:

8juv5cezib1q.png

But Intel isn't stupid and knew that people would just get their hands on said bios versions, so they also decided to make small adjustments to the pin layout on coffee lake...
smart, very dirty and extremely annoying bull shit. I didn't plan to upgrade my 7700k, but I'm still a tiny bit salty to be honest.

Apologies if I completely misunderstand this then, but does that mean Intel are potentially putting out three chipsets, one after the other, with none of them compatible with each other? Locking every CPU for them specifically to that one and only chipset?

The fuck...

Apologies if I completely misunderstand this then, but does that mean Intel are potentially putting out three chipsets, one after the other, with none of them compatible with each other? Locking every CPU for them specifically to that one and only chipset?

The fuck...

That's my understanding too, but I'm not totally confident with that. It just seems too dumb to be real.

Whatever. I'm riding AMD's AM4 train until DDR5 gets here.

ISee

The fuck...

z170 and z270 are compatible with Sky- and Kabylake, but not with Coffeelake
z370 is basically z270 rebranded, but only compatible with Coffeelake. Bonus: there is microcode available that makes z270 compatible with coffelake, but intel decided to change the pin layout on their new CPUs (--> they won't fit into z270 boards)
z390 has new features and is only compatible with Coffeelake

z370 is basically a rebranded z270, but only compatible with Coffeelake

I was thinking specifically Z270 -> Z370 -> Z390, but thanks for clarifying either way. My mind somehow got confused as to whether or not Z390 would be compatible with CPUs intended for Z370. Because otherwise, why is it its own chipset, but also not distinct enough to get its own lettering scheme like the other, non-Z-70 chipsets.

kennah

I was drilling into my case with the radiator still in there; the goal was to start opening up a bit of space since a portion of the radiator was blocked by the case, and I was looking to improve airflow through the radiator.

However, before drilling, I unscrewed the radiator most of the way, leaving it just barely attached to the screws; it's a bit of a pain to remove all the way and I thought there'd be enough clearance when the bit went through. I've drilled quite a bit of things in my life, but never metal. I for some reason had the thought that I could drill through the thin case very slowly and not cause the drill bit to go through too far once it broke through the case.

I obviously very sorely miscalculated this on multiple levels. Obviously wrecked my radiator so that's toast. The lesson learned is 1) don't be a dumbass with power tools and 2) don't be lazy and just take out anything that's behind what you want to drill into.

Honestly, I really was using the drill on a fairly low speed. I was really surprised it damaged the radiator what seemed like very easily. Again, a gross miscalculation of all sorts here. I was fortunate that the radiator is in the front of the case with nothing underneath it, so as it started to drip out, it was just falling into the empty case below, where I had a towel anyway to catch metal shavings.
Yikes... yeah none of that is recommended. Also the little metal flecks from your case flying all over your parts would likely cause damage. I hope the rest of your system is ok. Honestly I would strip it all down and blow it out with some compressed air. And even then inspect for any metal fillings left behind.

Lunar FC

I sold my Gigabyte 960 4GB for $140 on Ebay a month ago. I'd guess $180-$215 for the 970 on Ebay, which is usually a 10-15% premium over in-person or Craigslist sales, IMO.

Nice. I was initally thinking more around the $150 range.

I've never actually sold anything on ebay, is it smart to figure the estimated shipping cost into the asking price?

Yikes... yeah none of that is recommended. Also the little metal flecks from your case flying all over your parts would likely cause damage. I hope the rest of your system is ok. Honestly I would strip it all down and blow it out with some compressed air. And even then inspect for any metal fillings left behind.

I put up quite a late pile of paper towels surrounding everything to keep the flecks at bay, and I did quite extensive compressed air coverage over every last inch to be safe. Definitely had that concern in mind. The way the ThermalTake Core V21 is designed, the front part that I was drilling into is several inches away from all the other components thankfully.

But I mean, I wouldn't do any of that again. Next time I drill into a case, I'll strip it entirely.

The good news is, my PC booted up and is running fine a few hours if use later including a ten minute stint on Prime95 (to briefly check my new cooler's performance).

Renekton

z370 is basically z270 rebranded, but only compatible with Coffeelake. Bonus: there is microcode available that makes z270 compatible with coffelake, but intel decided to change the pin layout on their new CPUs (--> they won't fit into z270 boards)
Two boards just dedicated to one CPU gen is an interesting decision.

Virdix

Does anyone know if B&H Photo Video gives out these codes? My 1080 Asus strix just shipped today

Also, my build was going to have a 7700k. Should I wait a month for coffee lake? I'll have to decide on a new motherboard

Edit: nvm a quick Google solved the first question, better email B&H.

Mrbob

Depends on how cheap you bought your 7700k for. At this point it sounds like the 8700k is going to be about the same as the 7700k in performance per core but you get two more cores. 8700k is 6 cores 12 threads and 7700k is 4 cores 8 threads. Can't see how this is a bad thing. Even if it takes a year or so for 6 cores to matter at least you'll still get 7700k performance through 4 cores of usage. Price will probably be slightly higher though, guessing around 400 to 430 but we don't know for sure yet until Intel reveals pricing.

Chylo

Neo Member
I've spent most of my free time at work researching and contemplating Ryzen. I'm still running an i5 2500k and GTX 760 at home, so the ability to run at 1440p is enticing. I just can't justify the inflated GPU prices at the moment.

Virdix

Depends on how cheap you bought your 7700k for. At this point it sounds like the 8700k is going to be about the same as the 7700k in performance per core but you get two more cores. 8700k is 6 cores 12 threads and 7700k is 4 cores 8 threads. Can't see how this is a bad thing. Even if it takes a year or so for 6 cores to matter at least you'll still get 7700k performance through 4 cores of usage. Price will probably be slightly higher though, guessing around 400 to 430 but we don't know for sure yet until Intel reveals pricing.

I have it in my cart on Amazon at around 300$, was going to shop around before pulling the trigger.

Kayant

8juv5cezib1q.png

Well shit didn't know it was that bad. Like holy shit what kind of shitty segmentation is that??! Seems like they don't want to lose too much marketshare but then one would think allowing Coffee lake-S to be compatible would be a better way of doing things instead of arbitrarily making it incompatible and making a new chipset and forcing new motherboard purchases 🤔. Well I guess these extra loyalties? from OEMs getting a new chipset is too enticing to miss.

Man thank God for AMD giving us a viable alternative and not tripping over themselves like with Vega.

Lkr

guys am i an idiot?

cpu-z says my RAM is single channel mode, im installed in slots 1 and 2. i have had it like this for ~5 years and haven't really had an issue, but still...

the only reason i found out is because I need to add ram. right now i have 2x4gb, if I go to 16gb should i:
  • buy 2x8gb and combine with my 2x4gb for 24gb
  • 2x8gb only for 16gb
  • buy 2x4gb for a total of 16gb

as you can tell i'm a real dummy when it comes to installing memory, so yea...

guys am i an idiot?

cpu-z says my RAM is single channel mode, im installed in slots 1 and 2. i have had it like this for ~5 years and haven't really had an issue, but still...

the only reason i found out is because I need to add ram. right now i have 2x4gb, if I go to 16gb should i:
  • buy 2x8gb and combine with my 2x4gb for 24gb
  • 2x8gb only for 16gb
  • buy 2x4gb for a total of 16gb

as you can tell i'm a real dummy when it comes to installing memory, so yea...

It's in single channel mode because you normally need to have them offset, i.e. in slots 1 and 3 or slots 2 and 4 (manual will tell you which is ideal). So yeah, you've been missing out on free performance for 5 years!

I would decide based on what you can get a deal on... what are the specs of your system anyway? There's not much point in spending a lot on obsolete DDR3, particularly if your system is almost due for replacement. But if you can get some cheap ram from a friend or even on craigslist it might be worth it. System specs?

Lkr

It's in single channel mode because you normally need to have them offset, i.e. in slots 1 and 3 or slots 2 and 4 (manual will tell you which is ideal). So yeah, you've been missing out on free performance for 5 years!

I would decide based on what you can get a deal on... what are the specs of your system anyway? There's not much point in spending a lot on obsolete DDR3, particularly if your system is almost due for replacement. But if you can get some cheap ram from a friend or even on craigslist it might be worth it. System specs?

should have specified specs, sorry. and yeah, im a dumbass for missing it for all these years!

i have a i5 3570K and an MSI Z77A-G41 board. my ram is PC3-12800. i am upgrading, but this is not for gaming, i know this is a gaming related thread but i'm just looking for general upgrade advice since as you can tell i managed to fuck up installing my memory in dual channel, i don't know what i'm doing when it comes to ram. i need more total ram for a systems administrator college course i'm taking where i am virtualizing several windows 2012 servers and instances of windows 10. yes i know i'm on ddr3 and ddr4 exists but i don't see the need to drop money on a new motherboard/cpu for this class.

Mrbob

I have it in my cart on Amazon at around 300$, was going to shop around before pulling the trigger.
It's up to you and how soon you want your PC build finished. The 7700k should stay near the top as one of the best gaming cpus, however I expect the 8700k to take the crown from the 7700k. At the same time it's tough to gauge when more than 4 cores is going to be relevant. Intel has made it tough to buy anything right now. No matter what you do, because of Intel silliness, whatever CPU and motherboard combination you buy will only be good for that cpu. There doesn't seem to be an upgrade path to a future CPU for current and near future motherboards. For this reason alone in being a one shot deal for buying a CPU and motherboard I'd probably wait on the 8700k now. But it sounds like we will have to wait until October to know for certain as that is rumored release month for the 8700k. So I guess you will have to decide if it's worth the wait. Gut feeling of mine says yes when taking the long view of two to three years down the road but I don't know for certain.

Top Bottom