• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

ZZMitch

If you have all the other bits you could otherwise wire it up (depending on what case you have and how difficult it is to put the PSU in afterward--modular PSUs are great here).

Yeah I was thinking about that but since this is my first time building a PC I am going to wait until everything is here and then follow this video to a T haha

aett

I just learned that I have always had my graphics card in the wrong PCI-E slot (4 versus 16). I went ahead and made the change but my computer booted up in a completely wrong resolution and it doesn't detect my drivers. I tried to install the newest drivers, but after going through the whole process, it says the installation failed. Anyone know why this would happen?

Edit: somehow it worked by updating drivers through the device manager instead of manually from NVIDIA's website.

reKon

Banned
Is the G4560 now discontinued? The Desk Mini bare bones case finally went on sale and I wanted to pair this with a G4560 and 8GB of RAM as a build for my Mom.

LordAlu

Is the G4560 now discontinued? The Desk Mini bare bones case finally went on sale and I wanted to pair this with a G4560 and 8GB of RAM as a build for my Mom.
Intel realised that is was decimating their Core i3 sales (it was $50 less for just 1MB less cache and 3.7GHz instead of 3.9GHz), so they massively lowered production. That resulted in much less stock, and due to its popularity, a higher price. Your only option now is the G4600, but even that is getting difficult to find.

reKon

Banned
Intel realised that is was decimating their Core i3 sales (it was $50 less for just 1MB less cache and 3.7GHz instead of 3.9GHz), so they massively lowered production. That resulted in much less stock, and due to its popularity, a higher price. Your only option now is the G4600, but even that is getting difficult to find.

Looks like the G4560 is still available at TigerDirect for cheap? Right?

enewtabie

Asrock B350 Mini itx board arrives Monday. Looked at the Liquid cooler I wanted to use and it's right at the 85mm height limit for the case. Now to rethink coolers...sucks.

DPB

Hi all, any tips on what things to look for when comparing the various 1060 cards? All I've done so far is filter by price and removed any that only have a single fan.

I currently have 4 I am looking into that seem to fit my requirements:

ASUS GeForce DUAL-GTX1060--O6G 6 GB Graphics Card
- ~£260
- Dual fan

Asus NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 - DUAL-GTX1060-6G 6 GB
- ~£260
- Dual fan

Palit NE5106015J9J GTX 1060 Jetstream 16 x PCI Express 3.0 Express Card - Silver
- ~£270
- Dual fan

Zotac NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB AMP Edition GDDR5 Graphics Card - Black
- ~£260
- Dual fan

I've had that Zotac one for over a year now. I went for it because it's the smallest 1060 with two fans, plus it was supposed to fairly quiet, which it is.

I don't know much about those Asus cards, but one thing to consider with the Palit Jetstream is that it takes up 2.5 slots, so it won't fit in a mini ITX case.

So I just noticed the price history tool on PCpartpicker and maaan. Are ram prices ever going to come back down? Looking at the price tracker on Corsair Vengence LPX memory (or any other type of DDR4 memory) is disheartening.

So I just noticed the price history tool on PCpartpicker and maaan. Are ram prices ever going to come back down? Looking at the price tracker on Corsair Vengence LPX memory (or any other type of DDR4 memory) is disheartening.

2x8 GB of DDR4 was around $120 in May, now it's closer to $140 most of the time. It was under $80 in 2016. I bought 2x4 GB of DDR3 for $30 in 2012. It is going up significantly, and at a faster pace. It's getting to the point that buying a pre-built might be cheaper pretty often now, especially with graphics card prices going up so much.

Any recommendations for a 1080p 1ms +144hz monitor with full HDR that doesn't cost half a grand? I don't care about gsync.

There isn't any monitor out right now that does true HDR at good quality. There are several "HDR ready" monitors that can provide neither the brightness nor the contrast for good HDR.

ZZMitch

I also have a monitor question haha. Looking for a 1080p, 144hz monitor with gsync if anyone has recommendations!

Or maybe 1440p still not sure if I want to commit to that resolution yet.. though I know my GTX 1080 could handle it

I also have a monitor question haha. Looking for a 1080p, 144hz monitor with gsync if anyone has recommendations!

Or maybe 1440p still not sure if I want to commit to that resolution yet.. though I know my GTX 1080 could handle it

Then what's the point of having a 1080? 1440p or bust.

rugioh

Banned
When switching from a GTX1060 to a GTX1080, do I need to uninstall geforce experience/drivers or can I just let it autodetect the new card?

popo

What RAM are you looking at? I got 16Gb of 3000mhz for £128 with delivery if you're interested?

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...al-channel-kit-grey-tlgd416g30-my-087-tg.html

(I swear I'm not shilling for OCers, I just think it's a really damn good deal right now),

I was looking at Trident Z or Geil Evo - since they seem to have good comparability.

I prefer amazon as I have credit but I will look at those sticks - they look pretty good even if they have gone up to 140 now.

Which mobo you using if you dont mind me asking?

So I just noticed the price history tool on PCpartpicker and maaan. Are ram prices ever going to come back down?

Not any time soon. Demand is still outstripping supply.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
I want to change the look of my setup! I essentially built it to play with a girlfriend I just broke up with so I need something strikingly new to differentiate the era.

The setup I have is:
Gigabyte GA-Z170M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Fractal Design Define Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case
EVGA 1080 SC
CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler

Right now, my desktop is a black metal box.
2010d4cdac096b84c5e2d7ebcaaaa113.256p.jpg

So I'd like to avoid black metal box. Just during cursory browsing and the thread, this one caught my eye.

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Computer Case - Tempered Glass Edition, Anthracite Grey
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F0KWTXA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It had everything I want even if it is absurdly priced. Not black. Glass panel. Still metal. Pretty sleek. Something m-ATX and even smaller than what I have now if somehow possible.

taoofjord

Not sure if this is the thread to ask, apologies if not, but I picked up an Acer Predator XB271HU monitor (144hz, 1440p, g-sync) a couple weeks ago and I'm just now noticing something weird going on.

I'm seeing faint vertical black scan lines, similar to the screen door effect seen on low res displays. With this, there's also a slight flickering/pulsing to the screen's brightness. I seem to notice this when the monitor first turns on and the it either goes away or I get used to it after 5 minutes or so. Not sure which.

Is this usual or might it be defective?

Not sure if this is the thread to ask, apologies if not, but I picked up an Acer Predator XB271HU monitor (144hz, 1440p, g-sync) a couple weeks ago and I’m just now noticing something weird going on.

I’m seeing faint vertical black scan lines, similar to the screen door effect seen on low res displays. With this, there’s also a slight flickering/pulsing to the screen’s brightness. I seem to notice this when the monitor first turns on and the it either goes away or I get used to it after 5 minutes or so. Not sure which.

Is this usual or might it be defective?
Sounds defective to me.

I should also say that I notice a similar issue like this on my Nintendo Switch’s screen. Usually when I first turn it on. Perhaps I’m really sensitive to this particular quirk? On the Switch it seems to go away after a while as well.

I meant more the vertical black lines. I have the same monitor and had to RMA it once. I think the panel is known to have issues.

If I were you I would swap it.

I was looking at Trident Z or Geil Evo - since they seem to have good comparability.

I prefer amazon as I have credit but I will look at those sticks - they look pretty good even if they have gone up to 140 now.

Which mobo you using if you dont mind me asking?

Not any time soon. Demand is still outstripping supply.

ASRock B350M Pro 4. It's a great board, none of the RAM i've had in it has been on the QVL and it has worked at the rated speeds (That's Corsair LPX 3000mhz 2x4GB and Team Group Vulcan 3000mhz 2x8GB).
Shame to see it go up to £140 now, it's been £120 for at least a month. Personally, I'd avoid Amazon for RAM. It seems pretty expensive on there too me, plus the filter for DDR4 is awful making it hard to browse and shop on there.

I'll drop some deals for you on RAM, but there's really not much going right now.

£150 for G.Skill Trident Z
https://www.ebuyer.com/772380-g-skill-trident-z-16gb-kit-ddr4-3000mhz-ram-f4-3000c15d-16gtzb
Not cheap, but cheap for that particular RAM.

£137 for Patriot Viper 4
https://www.cclonline.com/product/2...3000MHz-CL16-DDR4-Desktop-Memory-Kit/RAM3626/
Not heard anything good or bad about this set, but it's one of the cheapest sets of 3000mhz DDR4 currently that I've found.

For 2400mhz, then this seems okay. However I've no experience of running Ryzen CPUs on anything below 2933mhz. I don't know how much performance you're losing, if any, when paired with a GTX 1060.

£110 for Ballistix Sport 2400mhz
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00MTSWFMM/

popo

ASRock B350M Pro 4. It's a great board, none of the RAM i've had in it has been on the QVL and it has worked at the rated speeds (That's Corsair LPX 3000mhz 2x4GB and Team Group Vulcan 3000mhz 2x8GB).
Shame to see it go up to £140 now, it's been £120 for at least a month. Personally, I'd avoid Amazon for RAM. It seems pretty expensive on there too me, plus the filter for DDR4 is awful making it hard to browse and shop on there.

I'll drop some deals for you on RAM, but there's really not much going right now.

£150 for G.Skill Trident Z
https://www.ebuyer.com/772380-g-skill-trident-z-16gb-kit-ddr4-3000mhz-ram-f4-3000c15d-16gtzb
Not cheap, but cheap for that particular RAM.

£137 for Patriot Viper 4
https://www.cclonline.com/product/2...3000MHz-CL16-DDR4-Desktop-Memory-Kit/RAM3626/
Not heard anything good or bad about this set, but it's one of the cheapest sets of 3000mhz DDR4 currently that I've found.

For 2400mhz, then this seems okay. However I've no experience of running Ryzen CPUs on anything below 2933mhz. I don't know how much performance you're losing, if any, when paired with a GTX 1060.

£110 for Ballistix Sport 2400mhz
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00MTSWFMM/

Thx. Not quite ready to buy the parts yet anyway. Will keep a watch out. From researching it seems it is worth the extra to go up to 3000 but diminishing returns after that.

Thx. Not quite ready to buy the parts yet anyway. Will keep a watch out. From researching it seems it is worth the extra to go up to 3000 but diminishing returns after that.

I've heard good things about 2666mhz with low timings vs 3000/3200mhz with lax timings, but that's far too technical for me haha.
Keep an eye out for the clearance sections on Ebuyer and CCL, some good deals to be had there.
Also HotUKDeals has been pretty good for deals too, not just RAM, but all kinds of hardware and games too.
https://www.hotukdeals.com/tag/computers

Erebus

The Ryzen 1600 build I posted about a few pages ago is up and running and my friend is more than happy with it. I was wary of RAM issues but luckily I encountered none with the RAM kit I chose.

Anyway, I installed the latest AMD drivers and noticed that they come with a custom power profile in Windows. With the Ryzen power profile selected, the Windows task manager and CPU-Z never seem to report clock frequencies below the 3.20GHz for the CPU. Is there any reason for this? Doesn't this wear down the CPU faster?

Figured this would be the best place to ask.

I’m looking at selling my PC, I wasn’t sure of how much I could get for it.

I5 7600K
8GB DDR4 2400
RX570 OC
128GB SSD
1TB HDD
Cryorig H7
Deathadder
Black widow Ultimate
22” 1080p IPS panel
Wireless card

Jayne

Asrock B350 Mini itx board arrives Monday. Looked at the Liquid cooler I wanted to use and it's right at the 85mm height limit for the case. Now to rethink coolers...sucks.

Which case is it that you're building in? Was it the phanteks evolv shift?

If so I managed to fit a 49mm thick 120 radiator at the bottom of the case with 2 fans in push pull for a total height of 99mm. It really depends on how long your GPU is. My EVGA 1070 FTW just happened to be the perfect length.

If you're building in a different case then whoops, go ahead and disregard this message.

ISee

Figured this would be the best place to ask.

I'm looking at selling my PC, I wasn't sure of how much I could get for it.

I5 7600K
8GB DDR4 2400
RX570 OC
128GB SSD
1TB HDD
Cryorig H7
Deathadder
Black widow Ultimate
22" 1080p IPS panel
Wireless card

This sounds like the description off a prebuild PC at a mayor PC store. It gives you enough information to get you an idea about performance, but not enough to give you an idea about the "value". For example: What kind of MB is in there? If it is just a b150 mainboard the 7600k is a waste of money (some pre builds do this). Is this just one stick of DDR4 ram or 2x4GB (big difference in performance)? What RX570 and what kind of SSD is in there exactly? What 22" IPS 1080 Monitor? Those things have model numbers/names for a reason.

I'd say 700€/$ (worst case scenario) - 900€/$ (best case/parts scenario)

Goddard

What is good for very low end video cards in the $50~ range? I'm repairing this guy's computer, fans on his ATI x1900 card from 2006 are broken, I guarantee its cheaper to buy a brand new low end card than replace the fans, but not sure what's good for the low end. All he does with it is play Turok 2 apparently, so we are talking looooow end.

ISee

What is good for very low end video cards in the $50~ range? I'm repairing this guy's computer, fans on his ATI x1900 card from 2006 are broken, I guarantee its cheaper to buy a brand new low end card than replace the fans, but not sure what's good for the low end.

You can sometimes find a RX 550 for ~$70, everything else (1030, 710) isn't really worth it.

Goddard

You can sometimes find a RX 550 for ~$70, everything else (1030, 710) isn't really worth it.

What do you mean by isn't worth it? The guy I'm fixing the computer for isn't concerned about power, so I think the 710 probably already blows out the x1900 he had before. Is the performance per dollar really that bad?

Just checked local store website, cheapest 710 they have is $45, cheapest 550 is $120, cheapest 1030 is $90.

ISee

What do you mean by isn't worth it? The guy I'm fixing the computer for isn't concerned about power, so I think the 710 probably already blows out the x1900 he had before. Is the performance per dollar really that bad?

Just checked local store website, cheapest 710 they have is $45, cheapest 550 is $120, cheapest 1030 is $90.

You didn't say what you need the new GPU to do. Just display windows and movies? Retro gaming? modern games at 900p/low settings? So I looked at it from a performance/price ratio. Also, don't buy locally. Those prices are way too high.

From todays perspective the 710 is under performing, because it is about on paar with intergrated GPUs from Intel. The 1030 is ~40% more powerful and designed to be used in low tier PCs, the thing is: it is a bit overpriced at ~$75 because you can find a way more powerful RX 550 for ~$70 on occasions and for ~85$ regularly.
If you want to go one step up, the RX 560 is in the ~$100 range.

Goddard

You didn't say what you need the new GPU to do. Just display windows and movies? Retro gaming? modern games at 900p/low settings? So I looked at it from a performance/price ratio. Also, don't buy locally. Those prices are way too high.

From todays perspective the 710 is under performing, because it is about on paar with intergrated GPUs from Intel. The 1030 is ~40% more powerful and designed to be used in low tier PCs, the thing is: it is a bit overpriced at ~$75 because you can find a way more powerful RX 550 for ~$70 on occasions and for ~85$ regularly.

I'm in Canada so these are all legitimately good prices. The guy I'm fixing the computer for says he only uses the computer to browse the web, watch the occasional movie, and play ancient games like Turok 2.

That's the problem with some pc parts, there is often something "more worth it" for just a few bucks more. At some point you just have to set a budget and live with that. Used cards may be worth looking at, but since the use case really seems to be limited, I would guess that a 710 would be fine though

Goddard

That's the problem with some pc parts, there is often something "more worth it" for just a few bucks more. At some point you just have to set a budget and live with that. Used cards may be worth looking at, but since the use case really seems to be limited, I would guess that a 710 would be fine though

Basically this, I was hired to move his computer from his old beige box into a modern case, found out his video card fan is broken in the process, might as well replace the card at this point. Mainly just wondering if the 710 works fine for old games like quake 2, turok, brood war, etc. If it does that's all I need. Trying to keep costs to an absolute minimum.

ISee

Basically this, I was hired to move his computer from his old beige box into a modern case, found out his video card fan is broken in the process, might as well replace the card at this point. Mainly just wondering if the 710 works fine for old games like quake 2, turok, brood war, etc. If it does that's all I need. Trying to keep costs to an absolute minimum.

It should work fine for those games. Just make sure there are drivers available for his OS of choice (just in case he is using something ancient).

I have been offered the following:

Price:275eurFully working gaming PC.Intel i5-2500k, 3.3GHz, 4 cores12GB DDR3-1600Asrock P67 Extreme4 motherboardPowerColor ATI Radeon 69501TB HDDCD/DVD R/W drive

Is it a good deal? It is of course not a high-end gaming PC, but given I have done most of my gaming on console I thought it might be a good entry to the gaming PC world, and I can upgrade it later.

I have been offered the following:

Price:275eurFully working gaming PC.Intel i5-2500k, 3.3GHz, 4 cores12GB DDR3-1600Asrock P67 Extreme4 motherboardPowerColor ATI Radeon 69501TB HDDCD/DVD R/W drive

Is it a good deal? It is of course not a high-end gaming PC, but given I have done most of my gaming on console I thought it might be a good entry to the gaming PC world, and I can upgrade it later.

Hard to say really, kind of depends on how healthy the used PC market is in your area/country. Don't buy it planning to upgrade too much though, as far as I can tell a GPU upgrade would be the only feasible part.
Edit: oh and adding an SSD of course

Hard to say really, kind of depends on how healthy the used PC market is in your area/country. Don't buy it planning to upgrade too much though, as far as I can tell a GPU upgrade would be the only feasible part.
Edit: oh and adding an SSD of course

Thanks a lot for the reply, I think it should be okay (or so I hope) since I am buying from a colleague at work. Yeah, my plan would be to upgrade the GPU in the near future, the guy also recommended me to add an SSD.

The Ryzen 1600 build I posted about a few pages ago is up and running and my friend is more than happy with it. I was wary of RAM issues but luckily I encountered none with the RAM kit I chose.

Anyway, I installed the latest AMD drivers and noticed that they come with a custom power profile in Windows. With the Ryzen power profile selected, the Windows task manager and CPU-Z never seem to report clock frequencies below the 3.20GHz for the CPU. Is there any reason for this? Doesn't this wear down the CPU faster?

Did you overclock? If so, you may need to do a couple of things, and if not, you may need to do one thing. If no overclock, try this:

1) Enter Windows "Power & Sleep" settings
2) Click "Additional Power Settings"
3) Click "Change Plan Settings" next to your AMD Ryzen Balanced power plan
4) Click "Change advanced power settings"
5) Open the "Processor Power Management" sub-menu
6) Open the "Minimum Processor State" sub-menu
7) Change the "Setting" value from whatever it is (probably 90%) to 20%. Press OK and exit all the menus.

That should drop down the clock at idle after a few seconds, assuming nothing else is running.

If that doesn't do it (and you overclocked), go back into the BIOS and enable AMD Cool N' Quiet. You might also need to enable Core C6 State. These are turned to "Disabled" automatically if you overclock, but can be set back to "Enabled" without an issue.

Source: Running my Ryzen 1700 at 3.7 GHz and 1.25 V; had this same issue, followed these same instructions. Your voltage will be locked still, but the frequency of your CPU will now downclock at idle.

Top Bottom