• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

enewtabie

Which case is it that you're building in? Was it the phanteks evolv shift?

If so I managed to fit a 49mm thick 120 radiator at the bottom of the case with 2 fans in push pull for a total height of 99mm. It really depends on how long your GPU is. My EVGA 1070 FTW just happened to be the perfect length.

If you're building in a different case then whoops, go ahead and disregard this message.

Yes that's the case. The CPU cooler height is the issue. Probably go with the Corsair H80 since I know it fits with no issue.

Lombax

Banned
Here is the current build I am thinking about going with.

My current PC is almost 8 years old at this point.
Current specs are:
AMD Phenom II 955 black edition 3.2ghz [4 core]
Radeon HD7900
8gigs of DDR3

The main thing I want to do with this rig is play a lot of games I have neglected over the years. Doom and PUBG come to mind off the top of my head as well several games I have picked up from stream sales over the years.

I currently use these two monitors
ASUS 24-inch Full HD FreeSync Gaming Monitor
ASUS VS248H-P

I do not plan on upgrading the monitors anytime soon, but I would like to know the best one to run as primary.

Any feedback is appreciated.

GodofWine

I currently use these two monitors
ASUS 24-inch Full HD FreeSync Gaming Monitor
ASUS VS248H-P

I do not plan on upgrading the monitors anytime soon, but I would like to know the best one to run as primary.

Any feedback is appreciated.

You're building a 1440p/144hz machine, and limiting it to 1080p/60 throug the monitors. You could easily go down a notch on CPU / GPU, save a chunk of money and be just as happy.

Playing at 1080/60 is pretty inexpensive. I slapped together a g4560/1050ti machine that runs PUBG on lowish setting at 70fps.

Its a fine looking build, and if you stay at 1080/60 it'll future proof you for YEARS, and allows you to upgrade to better screens too.

But, I always tell people, pick out a monitior, and build from there. It is the component that should drive your CPU/GPU choice.

Lombax

Banned
You're building a 1440p/144hz machine, and limiting it to 1080p/60 throug the monitors. You could easily go down a notch on CPU / GPU, save a chunk of money and be just as happy.

Playing at 1080/60 is pretty inexpensive. I slapped together a g4560/1050ti machine that runs PUBG on lowish setting at 70fps.

Its a fine looking build, and if you stay at 1080/60 it'll future proof you for YEARS, and allows you to upgrade to better screens too..

Thank you for the feedback. I hear you on the 1080 front. I'll more than likely upgrade to a new screen next year. I'd prefer to over build the rig now, and then expand as necessary.

Zojirushi

Its a fine looking build, and if you stay at 1080/60 it'll future proof you for YEARS, and allows you to upgrade to better screens too.

But, I always tell people, pick out a monitior, and build from there. It is the component that should drive your CPU/GPU choice.

You can easily max out top notch equipment even stronger than his planned build at 1080p@60fps in a lot of games so it's really just as much a matter of desired settings and IQ.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
My temps when playing Gears of War 4 go up to:

i5-6500: 61-69 degrees (range including all cores)
GTX 1060 6GB: 83 degrees

All Celsius, obviously.

Are these temps really high? Should I be concerned?

kuYuri

My temps when playing Gears of War 4 go up to:

i5-6500: 61-69 degrees (range including all cores)
GTX 1060 6GB: 83 degrees

All Celsius, obviously.

Are these temps really high? Should I be concerned?

No, you're fine for the most part. The GPU temps seem a bit high, but it's not dangerous territory or anything.

I'm guessing the i5 is using stock heat sink with those temps.

zeemumu

tenor.gif

It was a RAM issue, not a motherboard issue. Gonna rearrange some wiring to make things neater, install the other RAM stick and the optical drive, put the cover back on, and we're in business.

Rizific

looking for suggestions on budget cpu for my sons build that im planning for his xmas present. hes taken a liking to my pc and has been telling my wife he wants one for himself. he likes playing titanfall 2 and overwatch. 1080p and 60fps would be the target for modern games.

ZZMitch

Holy shittt it turned on.

Pressing the power button and hearing the fans go is up there for the best feeling of my life lol

Went pretty smoothly except for putting the cooler in the CPU. I kept getting one screw in the hole but then the opposite one would bump out. Took at least 45 minutes of screwing lol. Also, pro tip, don't try to work with the motherboard when it's on top of card board box. That was my original plan because I was nervous my table would damage the bottom but the box had too much give so didn't really work as I hoped. I may have messed up the thermal paste will check temps and reapply if needed.

Also my SSD is very small and the angle of the sata cable meant I could not fit it into the slot for it on my case. I can get the screw in but the little things on the base of the case that you attach the SSD holder too are not gunna work because the sata cables push again the case. So it's only secured with the screw ATM hopefully that is okay for now!

zeemumu

Holy shittt it turned on.

Pressing the power button and hearing the fans go is up there for the best feeling of my life lol

Went pretty smoothly except for putting the cooler in the CPU. I kept getting one screw in the hole but then the opposite one would bump out. Took at least 45 minutes of screwing lol. Also, pro tip, don't try to work with the motherboard when it's on top of card board box. That was my original plan because I was nervous my table would damage the bottom but the box had too much give so didn't really work as I hoped. I may have messed up the thermal paste will check temps and reapply if needed.

Also my SSD is very small and the angle of the sata cable meant I could not fit it into the slot for it on my case. I can get the screw in but the little things on the base of the case that you attach the SSD holder too are not gunna work because the sata cables push again the case. So it's only secured with the screw ATM hopefully that is okay for now!

My motherboard came with a little foam pad on the bottom to prevent the box from damaging it during transit so I did all of my stuff on top of that before I put it in the case. I was paranoid about snapping it in half while seating the RAM. You really gotta jam those in there.

ZZMitch

My motherboard came with a little foam pad on the bottom to prevent the box from damaging it during transit so I did all of my stuff on top of that before I put it in the case. I was paranoid about snapping it in half while seating the RAM. You really gotta jam those in there.

Not mine! I might invest in one of those mats I see often in building videos on youtube. Need to get another case fan as well.

dcx4610

I'm probably going to do a mini new build in a couple of weeks after the 8700k comes out.

I'm only going to get a motherboard, CPU, cooler and memory. I have everything else upgraded.

That said, what CPU cooler and memory are you guys looking for those getting a 8700k? I prefer air cooling and I don't overclock so I'm leaning towards the Cyorig H5 Ultimate but I haven't kept up and I'm open to suggestions. (Unless it's a Noctua. Can't do the brown)

As for memory, is 3000mhz still the sweet spot for price/performance? What brand and specs should I be aiming for?

I'm probably going to do a mini new build in a couple of weeks after the 8700k comes out.

I'm only going to get a motherboard, CPU, cooler and memory. I have everything else upgraded.

That said, what CPU cooler and memory are you guys looking for those getting a 8700k? I prefer air cooling and I don't overclock so I'm leaning towards the Cyorig H5 Ultimate but I haven't kept up and I'm open to suggestions. (Unless it's a Noctua. Can't do the brown)

As for memory, is 3000mhz still the sweet spot for price/performance? What brand and specs should I be aiming for?

If you don't overclock you don't need an 8700k; you can save some money and get the 8700.

Would a Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 be too big for what you have in mind? About the same thermals but quieter.

zeemumu

Has anyone else had the issue where you can't install Windows 7 because your USB keyboard and mouse get deactivated as soon as it starts the installation process so you can't answer the prompts? I was told I'd either need a PS/2 mouse and keyboard or I have to enable the Legacy USB function in the BIOS but I can't seem to find it. It's an asrock ab350m pro

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
If I have like $400 of Gamestop credit (from the flipping fun that was a few months back) that I can buy Xbox money for and put towards a beefy machine on Microsoft's website does this one look good?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/d/ibuypower-element-gaming-desktop/8p6cgkgdj401/08fj

I did pcpartpicker for the components (i7-7700K, 1080 TI, etc.) and the price looked right in line...

Thanks!

i would always suggest not buying a pre built. if it were me i'd use that $400 for something else and just save up a bit longer to build my own PC.

i'm not sure if it's a good deal because it's in dollars but a 7700K/16GB/1080ti is damn good specs...think of 4K 60fps levels of performance or 1440p 144hz and it should last you a good while yet. of course when it comes to prebuilts you should be wary of what kind of cooling system and psu is in there. as it's a 7700K it probably won't have a stock cooler as K cpus don't come with a cooler but maybe whoever makes these PC's choose to put one in. the PSU is a vital part of the system and often people cheap out on it to keep the overrall price down. I would suggest to always spend as much as you possibly can on a PSU because if it goes then you risk your entire system being fried.

EDIT* it seems it has an AIO cooler. they are good but imo you can get an air cooler for way cheaper that does just as good.

What programs do you guys recommend for checking temps for CPU, GPU etc?

another one for Afterburner/Rivatuner here.

Afterburner lets you overclock your GPU, monitor temps, set fan curves, take screenshots/capture video, limit framerate, and it gives you an on screen display in game of temps/usage/fan speeds with graphs.

if you want more detailed info like power/voltages etc then i'd suggest HwInfo.

If I have like $400 of Gamestop credit (from the flipping fun that was a few months back) that I can buy Xbox money for and put towards a beefy machine on Microsoft’s website does this one look good?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/d/ibuypower-element-gaming-desktop/8p6cgkgdj401/08fj

I did pcpartpicker for the components (i7-7700K, 1080 TI, etc.) and the price looked right in line...

Thanks!

That build is similarly priced to the Intel High-End build #7 in the OP.

Pros of the OP's build:
-Faster RAM
-2x larger SSD
-Much better warranty per part
-We know the quality of each part is high, but we don't know the quality of the motherboard, power supply, etc in the Microsoft build

Cons of the OP's build:
-No keyboard or mouse
-Gotta build and troubleshoot it yourself
-Can't use your $400 credit

Smidget

i would always suggest not buying a pre built. if it were me i'd use that $400 for something else and just save up a bit longer to build my own PC.

i'm not sure if it's a good deal because it's in dollars but a 7700K/16GB/1080ti is damn good specs...think of 4K 60fps levels of performance or 1440p 144hz and it should last you a good while yet. of course when it comes to prebuilts you should be wary of what kind of cooling system and psu is in there. as it's a 7700K it probably won't have a stock cooler as K cpus don't come with a cooler but maybe whoever makes these PC's choose to put one in. the PSU is a vital part of the system and often people cheap out on it to keep the overrall price down. I would suggest to always spend as much as you possibly can on a PSU because if it goes then you risk your entire system being fried.

EDIT* it seems it has an AIO cooler. they are good but imo you can get an air cooler for way cheaper that does just as good.

Thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate it. I have previously built my PCs and that's why I was a little wary looking into it.

Found their site and looked at the specs: https://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Element-Intel-Z270-Eternal

With some googling the PSU is an OEM producer with average ratings (High Power?).

I do have a 1060 6GB right now with a 2500K @ 4.4GHz and 16GB of RAM. Was also looking at 1070's on Microsoft's site... but feel like that won't be a giant boost at this point.

Edit: Or maybe wait until the 1080 TI comes back in stock and buy that from there and build the rest of the OP build...

Smidget

That build is similarly priced to the Intel High-End build #7 in the OP.

Pros of the OP's build:
-Faster RAM
-2x larger SSD
-Much better warranty per part
-We know the quality of each part is high, but we don't know the quality of the motherboard, power supply, etc in the Microsoft build

Cons of the OP's build:
-No keyboard or mouse
-Gotta build and troubleshoot it yourself
-Can't use your $400 credit

Thanks for this feedback too. I think I'll just hold off then and use the credit for Steam cards and probably wait until next gen of CPUs/videocards (year or so?).

Thanks for this feedback too. I think I'll just hold off then and use the credit for Steam cards and probably wait until next gen of CPUs/videocards (year or so?).

Next gen Intel CPUs come out in about a week. Absolutely worth waiting until benchmarks are out before buying any Intel CPU right now, IMO. GPUs won't be updated until spring I believe, at least for anything comparable or beating a 1080 Ti.

So, I need a new GPU this month (donating my 960 2GB). Help me decide between a GF 1070 and a Radeon 580?

Rest of system: i5 3570 non-K, 16 gigabytes DDR3, AOC G2460PF monitor – 1920x1080, 144 Hz, Freesync, 550W XFX bronze PSU (6 years old), SSD+HD

1070: £380, no Freesync but should be at 144 FPS for a lot of games anyway, unless my CPU will keep me below 144?
580 8GB: £290 which is way over the launch price, freesync, higher power consumption for lower performance.
580 4GB: £240, same as the 8GB but not so overpriced and limited VRAM. How much does that matter?

I don't play demanding games that often and I'm OK with reducing texture quality but I care about high framerates and responsiveness. I would like to use Freesync, although games at solid 144Hz already feel really smooth to me so the 1070 is an option, especially since I also like my system quiet.
I would really like to play Fortnite BR, UT4 and DOOM at solid 144 FPS or close to it with Freesync. The next games I'll be buying are Cook, Serve, Delicious 2 and South Park TFBW though so a 1070 is overkill most of the time.

So, I need a new GPU this month (donating my 960 2GB). Help me decide between a GF 1070 and a Radeon 580?

Rest of system: i5 3570 non-K, 16 gigabytes DDR3, AOC G2460PF monitor – 1920x1080, 144 Hz, Freesync, 550W XFX bronze PSU (6 years old), SSD+HD

1070: £380, no Freesync but should be at 144 FPS for a lot of games anyway, unless my CPU will keep me below 144?
580 8GB: £290 which is way over the launch price, freesync, higher power consumption for lower performance.
580 4GB: £240, same as the 8GB but not so overpriced and limited VRAM. How much does that matter?

I don't play demanding games that often and I'm OK with reducing texture quality but I care about high framerates and responsiveness. I would like to use Freesync, although games at solid 144Hz already feel really smooth to me so the 1070 is an option, especially since I also like my system quiet.
I would really like to play Fortnite BR, UT4 and DOOM at solid 144 FPS or close to it with Freesync. The next games I'll be buying are Cook, Serve, Delicious 2 and South Park TFBW though so a 1070 is overkill most of the time.

Hard to recommend anything other than the GTX 1070 out of those.

The 580 is still really overpriced, the 4Gb version will limit you more in the future. The only downside to the GTX 1070 is that the 1070Ti is coming (when, i don't know).
A Vega 56 is worth considering, depending on the price. Only since you have a freesync monitor though.

Edit, Unfortunately, you've just missed a deal on an ASUS 1070 for £360 too (or an EVGA for £365).
Probably not worth the Vega 56 either since the price is still pretty ridiculous. Nearly £500 or over. I just can't justify that, even if you have a good 144hz monitor.

Hard to recommend anything other than the GTX 1070 out of those.

The 580 is still really overpriced, the 4Gb version will limit you more in the future. The only downside to the GTX 1070 is that the 1070Ti is coming (when, i don't know).
A Vega 56 is worth considering, depending on the price. Only since you have a freesync monitor though.

Thanks, I had no idea about the 1070 Ti. From Guru3D it looks like it's late next month. I doubt I would go for one but I wonder if it will push standard 1070 prices down?

Yeah, I looked at the Vega 56 but they're £500 and that's more than I'd be willing to spend, I think.
Edit: glad we agree.

Thanks, I had no idea about the 1070 Ti. From Guru3D it looks like it's late next month. I doubt I would go for one but I wonder if it will push standard 1070 prices down?

Yeah, I looked at the Vega 56 but they're £500 and that's more than I'd be willing to spend, I think.
Edit: glad we agree.

I feel like it's already pushing the prices down. There was two recent deals on a ASUS 1070 and an EVGA 1070, £360 and £365 respectively. Personally, I'd try to hold out until another 1070 deal pops up and then take the sellers arm off for it.

The 1070Ti will definitely out perform it, but the 1080 will also outperform a 1070Ti, and so on. Basically, if you wanted better performance than a 1070 right now then you can just get a 1080 (and definitely be bottlenecked by the CPU).
Or settle for the best deal on a 1070 as soon as possible, still have a great card that'll be a huge step up from the card you currently have and be great value for money.

Also, despite having a freesync monitor, you've not used that feature of it, so it's not like you'll be downgrading to a non-variable refresh rate.

I feel like it's already pushing the prices down. There was two recent deals on a ASUS 1070 and an EVGA 1070, £360 and £365 respectively. Personally, I'd try to hold out until another 1070 deal pops up and then take the sellers arm off for it.

The 1070Ti will definitely out perform it, but the 1080 will also outperform a 1070Ti, and so on. Basically, if you wanted better performance than a 1070 right now then you can just get a 1080 (and definitely be bottlenecked by the CPU).
Or settle for the best deal on a 1070 as soon as possible, still have a great card that'll be a huge step up from the card you currently have and be great value for money.

Also, despite having a freesync monitor, you've not used that feature of it, so it's not like you'll be downgrading to a non-variable refresh rate.

True. 1070 it is, thanks! Where should I be looking for deals?

True. 1070 it is, thanks! Where should I be looking for deals?

HotUKDeals is always good for whatever pops up. I've had success with eBuyer, Overclockers, CCL, etc. Always worth checking the clearance section in any of those for open boxed returns too. You should find some good success with those.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I'm thinking of getting a eGPU setup with my MacBook Pro 13 instead of building a desktop. Which one should I get? I might get a GTX 1080 Ti.

Is this a good idea?

i guess it'd be better than whatever GPU is in there already but a 1080 ti is gonna be wasted by the CPU and possibly the screen. a 1080 ti is aimed more at 4K 60hz or 1440p 144hz. the current macbook pro 13 has a 2560x1600 screen and definitely doesn't have 144hz refresh rate. you could always output to an external monitor if you have one.

maybe unless you're using it for 3D/rendering work i wouldn't go for it. Spend the money towards a desktop if it's for gaming.

spootime

If I have like $400 of Gamestop credit (from the flipping fun that was a few months back) that I can buy Xbox money for and put towards a beefy machine on Microsoft’s website does this one look good?

Thanks!

For all the stuff you're getting in that computer 2 grand really doesnt seem like a very bad price. You even get a 240 AIO. If I had 400 bucks of credit towards a computer that would be a no-brainer. Coffee lake is coming out soon but if you're only gaming it doesnt really matter. Voltas probably coming in like 6 months or so but a 1080ti will serve you very well for the foreseeable future. I would jump on it.

Oh yeah, Novatech is worth a look. Especially so right now as they have a Zotax 1070 Mini for £350. £347.99 to be exact. That's arm rip off territory in my opinion.

https://www.novatech.co.uk/products...i-8gb-gddr5-graphics-card/zt-p10700g-10m.html

I'm not familiar with 1070 variant, however I do believe the 1080 (or maybe 1080Ti) variant with the same cooler runs about the same as a reference blower cooler at around the same temps. I imagine the 1070 would run somewhat cooler than that version.

Phreak47

Goddamn it, I thought a Noctua NH-D15S cooler was supposed to go with a Asus b350-f ryzen board... mounting brackets are too short for the backplate. I have to return this cooler for a proper one.

Goddamn it, I thought a Noctua NH-D15S cooler was supposed to go with a Asus b350-f ryzen board... mounting brackets are too short for the backplate. I have to return this cooler for a proper one.

Can't you get the mounting bracket(s) from Noctua? they're usually super good about that kind of stuff.

Well now i'm looking at the box and it lists up to am3 socket, not am4. I sort of chose it in a hurry because it was one of the recommended builds from OP. Is this one just incompatible?

I think you need to request a bracket from Noctua. At least that's how it is with the D15. I assume it's the same. Noctua will provide you one for free.

LQX

Well now i'm looking at the box and it lists up to am3 socket, not am4. I sort of chose it in a hurry because it was one of the recommended builds from OP. Is this one just incompatible?

You most likley have to request the AM4 mounting bracket and you need a receipt showing you bought a AM4 board.

-Edit

beaten

Phreak47

Yup, well shit, I'm just going to spend the 8 bucks on amazon to get it Tuesday. Noctua site says i'd wait up to 2 weeks.... I guess it's better than having to return the cooler but shit, I was all psyched to power this fucker on tonight.

Top Bottom