• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

I have tried two B350 mITX boards and both have been a disappointment. Among the two, the Gigabyte B350 ITX (GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI) would be my pick if I absolutely had to but make sure you have good airflow on the VRMs if you go with this.

My HTPC is in a Cooler Master Elite 130. I'll be using the stock wraith cooler. That should suffice?

Which other board did you have issues with?

Somewhat depends on the rest of your build and whether you're overclocking your CPU and/or GPU. It's a bit borderline for my comfort either way, but my guess is that it'll work, without knowing the rest of your system. My suggestion is to put your entire system into PCPartPicker and look at the wattage suggestion listed there.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/y9rKjc

Current wattage suggestion is 225w according to this.

Not sure how good EVGAs are in psu, but you should be fine as long as it doesn't suck.

For reference:
4770k @4ghz
1080ti @ 1950mhz and ~12ghz memory pulls around <430 watts out of the wall according to my Belkin.

Assuming you don't have a 12 core cpu or an octocore clocked to the moon.

That’s good to hear.

ironmang

Frankly, yes. Getting an old i7 on the same socket as you have now, an extra 8gb RAM and getting a newer GPU will breath a lot of life into your setup. Price-wise though, can't really help you to much since I don't know what kinda price 4XXX series CPU's go for.

Older CPUs still so expensive. :( Having second thoughts about doing a halfass upgrade and might just go with a mobo, cpu, gpu, and 16gb ddr4. Hoping ~$700 or so is enough to get a few good years out of it before needing to upgrade again.

Older CPUs still so expensive. :( Having second thoughts about doing a halfass upgrade and might just go with a mobo, cpu, gpu, and 16gb ddr4. Hoping ~$700 or so is enough to get a few good years out of it before needing to upgrade again.
Gotchu man.

Covfefelake upgrade path. CPU, mobo, GPU, RAM. $691
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Phatty92/saved/sMh3FT

Ryzen upgrade path. CPU, CPU cooler, mobo, GPU, faster RAM. $689
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Phatty92/saved/svMVYJ

Ryzen path would be even cheaper if you drop the cooler, but I'd really recommend overclocking it. Really brings the gaming performance up. As does the faster RAM.

The i5 8400 would be cheaper and incredible value if the B360 boards were out for it. As is, it'll still outperform a stock R5 1600 for games, easily.

VSG

Neo Member
My HTPC is in a Cooler Master Elite 130. I'll be using the stock wraith cooler. That should suffice?

Which other board did you have issues with?

The other board was the BIOSTAR X370GTN. Do note that the Gigabyte board has a layout such that a lot of headers are at the top, so make sure that is not an issue with that case as well.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Gotchu man.

Ryzen path would be even cheaper if you drop the cooler, but I'd really recommend overclocking it. Really brings the gaming performance up. As does the faster RAM.

The i5 8400 would be cheaper and incredible value if the B360 boards were out for it. As is, it'll still outperform a stock R5 1600 for games, easily.

Ryzen overclocks just fine with the stock cooler. The stock AMD cooler bundled with Ryzen non-X chips is fucking awesome. Seriously, chances are you will be able to go into your BIOS (after updating it, of course), change the multiplier for all cores to 37 and do nothing else and it will run flawlessly at 3.7 ghz on all six cores on the stock cooler and not even get that hot. Most non-X Ryzen won't be able to hit higher clock speeds anyway, so there is really zero reason to not use the stock cooler.

Ryzen overclocks just fine with the stock cooler. The stock AMD cooler bundled with Ryzen non-X chips is fucking awesome.

I've seen that repeated many times since the R5 line up release, and my experience with overclocking on the stock cooler has been the complete opposite. 3.6Ghz OC/1.2v with the 1600 on the stock cooler and I had the temps blazing through the 80's, even with an aggressive fan curve, a 200mm fan going full pelt at the front of my case and a 140mm exhaust fan above the CPU. That's not fine. Tried it with stock and aftermarket TIM, no real difference between the two.

Slapped a 212 on there however and I'm hitting 3.9Ghz at 1.3v, no hotter that 75c at max load. Even my idle temp plummeted to 26c. Barely 6c warmer than my room on average.

So yeah, I really don't recommend the stock cooler for anyone looking to go above 3.5Ghz.

Heya guys, I finally decided I need a new gaming PC but I am a bit of a loss since everyone is recommending me different things.

Long story short, I want to build a PC for Streaming/Gaming... nothing AAA, but more like Starcraft 2, Heroes of the Storm and maybe the casual indie game. Not really interested on graphical beasts of games... I have been recommended to instead invest on a better Processor than a GPU to be able to play on Ultra/Highest settings for these kind of games. I have been looking at the new AMD Ryzen series and I am interested, but I would like to hear your experiences.

Budget: 500-700 USD, Mexico (So about 12-15k pesos)
Main Use: 3/5 (Emulation? Mostly Streaming and MOBA-level gaming)
Monitor Resolution: 1080, I am using my old iMac 27" as a monitor, but also have a 21.4" BenQ for it.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: ULTRA settings on HOTS/SC2
Will you be overclocking?: No

Also, I am looking to be able to use it on limited space, so Mini-ATX are what I prefer...
THANKS!!!

Anyone got any experience with the AKG K92 headphones for PC gaming? Getting tired of headset issues and looking to jump to headphone/standalone mic combo. Also wondering what kind of leap I'd need to make for a sound card price wise, and whether that'd be worth it with the AKG's (given that they're cheap).

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I've seen that repeated many times since the R5 line up release, and my experience with overclocking on the stock cooler has been the complete opposite. 3.6Ghz OC/1.2v with the 1600 on the stock cooler and I had the temps blazing through the 80's, even with an aggressive fan curve, a 200mm fan going full pelt at the front of my case and a 140mm exhaust fan above the CPU. That's not fine. Tried it with stock and aftermarket TIM, no real difference between the two.

Slapped a 212 on there however and I'm hitting 3.9Ghz at 1.3v, no hotter that 75c at max load. Even my idle temp plummeted to 26c. Barely 6c warmer than my room on average.

So yeah, I really don't recommend the stock cooler for anyone looking to go above 3.5Ghz.

Fair enough. There's always the silicon lottery, but I think most people will be fine with the stock cooler.

Fair enough. There's always the silicon lottery, but I think most people will be fine with the stock cooler.

Out of interest, what are your package temps after 20 minutes or so of prime95, OCCT, or any other stress test tool with an overclocked 1600 on stock cooling?

gravedanger

Neo Member
So the last PC I built was 7 seven years ago. I haven't really followed PC hardware since then.

Was delighted to start a new build this week. It turns out that the latest Core i7s are.....impossible to buy? I had no idea that CPU scarcity was a thing.

_BtB_

well got the aftermarket cooler for my 970 (accelero twin turbo II) and it turns out it will not fit a gigabyte windforce properly. many of the vrms are half exposed due to the mounting plate being in the way. I tried an install anyway and seemed fine until I played wow and the temps shoot up to 95c. I did not know that the cooler is mainly for reference coolers, should of done more research.

Anyway back to square one, any one know what the daisy chained wire that connects the fans together is called so I can find one and buy it? the fans are 2 pin and the gpu fan female connector is 3 pin. thanks

NJDEN

I've got a 4690k, 16gb of ram, GTX 1080, SSD...

My question is, is it worth snagging a 4790k for sub $300 bucks when the opportunity presents itself?

I play a lot of the latest games, (Battlefront 2, Destiny 2, Shadow of War, ect) Battlefield 1 can hit my CPU pretty hard, but so far I've been able to play everything just fine... Is shelling out for the older i7 worth it, or just save my cash for a bigger upgrade down the road?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So the last PC I built was 7 seven years ago. I haven't really followed PC hardware since then.

Was delighted to start a new build this week. It turns out that the latest Core i7s are.....impossible to buy? I had no idea that CPU scarcity was a thing.

The Coffee Lake CPUs seem to have been a bit of a paper launch. I heard rumors that Intel initially planned to launch them next Spring, so maybe they just didn't have a ton manufactured yet.

I'm sure things will stabilize relatively soon, though. You've waited 7 years, so you can probably wait a bit more! If not, the Ryzen 5 1600 and Ryzen 7 1700 are both great CPUs. If you want the best possible processor for gaming, though, wait until you can get an 8700k.

DoomGyver

I think I'm going to wait until spring to build a pc. I can't decide on what I want to do. I want 4k + HDR + ultra high settings - and even if I built a PC that could manage that north of 60fps the monitors just aren't here yet. Yeah I could get a 40" hdtv but the input lag would bother me. I just have a feeling that when these 4k + HDR monitors come out next year they're going to be littered with defects since they're "cutting edge." The 21:9 ultrawide monitors interest me, and I don't really mind black bars when needed. But even those can have lots of problems with backlight bleed. For the money I might as well go 4k, but I also want this build to handle ultra high settings for a few years. 3440 x 1440 would be easier to push than 4k. Or I could go with a 1080p 144hz TN monitor. Then buy a nice 4k tv next year and use both, but mostly the 1080p monitor. I've been using a 15" MBP retina for over a year now and I don't think I can go back to 1080p.

I should just go 4k, and later on a few years down the road if I have to bump the resolution down at least 1080p would scale right.

Budget: ~$3000 (US) not including monitor/keyboard+mouse
Main use: Gaming
Monitor resolution: 4k 3840x2160 G-Sync
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Games I want to play Wolfenstein ii, ROTR, DOOM, Witcher 3, Ghost recon Wildlands, Cuphead, PUBG, Destiny 2, RDR2(maybe), R6:Siege, gears of war 4. 60+ fps
When will you build?: Sometime between Dec 2017 and March 2018
Will you be overclocking?: Maybe (This means yes!)

Current list -- Open to suggestions with everything (aka spend my money)
Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG27UQ 4k G-Sync HDR 144hz (2018 model)
Keyboard: Logitech G413
Mouse: Logitech G502

gtx 1080 ti or volta?
i7-8700k
Cooling: not sure if I should go air or w/c? water cooling might make me exclude a br disc drive bay
Motherboard - not sure - whichever works best with the cpu
Memory: G.skill tridentz 2x16gb
PSU - something in the 800-850 range? Corsair 860 plat?
SSD- about 1tb
Case- Phanteks or something with at least 1 usb-c 3.1 and maybe a drive bay for BR disc - I'm not a huge fan of all of the RGB colors over everything. It's cool but I think I'd probably end up turning all of the lights off eventually. I don't want it to be too loud.
BR disc drive: pioneer 4k - maybe - might just go stand alone
Windows 10 -- Home or Pro?

I've been wanting to build a PC since 2009, I have saved a lot of cash over the years and have decided that I am going to go all in. I'm giving myself 3-6 months to 1) let me iron out exactly what I want and 2) allow some time for Volta and the new HDR monitors to come out. I've built a PC before for a family members and it went smoothly. Yeah I know, I built one for someone else and not myself. I played pc games during high school, got out of it in college when the 360 came out and basically played on consoles until now.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I've got a 4690k, 16gb of ram, GTX 1080, SSD...

My question is, is it worth snagging a 4790k for sub $300 bucks when the opportunity presents itself?

I play a lot of the latest games, (Battlefront 2, Destiny 2, Shadow of War, ect) Battlefield 1 can hit my CPU pretty hard, but so far I've been able to play everything just fine... Is shelling out for the older i7 worth it, or just save my cash for a bigger upgrade down the road?

you're only really gonna get hyper threading and higher stock clocks by going up to the 4790K. not sure how well the 4690K overclocks compared to the 4790K.

if you went for the 4790K it'd hold you over a bit longer because 4/8 CPU's are still good but if games start making use of more cores/threads then you'll need to upgrade again. personally I'd not go for it and instead use any money towards a newer CPU. i'd hold onto the 4690K and wait for Icelake which will be 10nm and rumored to have 8/16 cores. Not sure when Ryzen 2 is meant to come out.

thanks to Ryzen/Coffee Lake quad core is on it's way out for the higher end CPUs. 4/4 cpus are now resigned to i3 and R3/ low end R5 CPU's.

I posted a couple pages back about getting a couple Masterfan Pro's (non RGB).
I installed them today and they look pretty slick. The 140mm air flow fan is really quiet on the 1300RPM mode. I put two 120mm's on my 212 to replace the LED fans, and although a bit louder on 2750RPM (as expected really), they're doing just as good of a job and looking a hell of lot nicer.
Might pop them off and flick them down a switch to see how they perform at 2250RPM, if they're about them same but quieter then I'll leave them like that.

Edit: Gotta be honest though, I kinda wish I just got a Noctua instead since I've spent more on this 212 with the new fans than I would've on a Noctua. Ah well, probably would've spent more replacing the standard Noctua fan too.

kuYuri

I think I'm going to wait until spring to build a pc. I can't decide on what I want to do. I want 4k + HDR + ultra high settings - and even if I built a PC that could manage that north of 60fps the monitors just aren't here yet. Yeah I could get a 40" hdtv but the input lag would bother me. I just have a feeling that when these 4k + HDR monitors come out next year they're going to be littered with defects since they're "cutting edge." The 21:9 ultrawide monitors interest me, and I don't really mind black bars when needed. But even those can have lots of problems with backlight bleed. For the money I might as well go 4k, but I also want this build to handle ultra high settings for a few years. 3440 x 1440 would be easier to push than 4k. Or I could go with a 1080p 144hz TN monitor. Then buy a nice 4k tv next year and use both, but mostly the 1080p monitor. I've been using a 15" MBP retina for over a year now and I don't think I can go back to 1080p.

I should just go 4k, and later on a few years down the road if I have to bump the resolution down at least 1080p would scale right.

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Games I want to play Wolfenstein ii, ROTR, DOOM, Witcher 3, Ghost recon Wildlands, Cuphead, PUBG, Destiny 2, RDR2(maybe), R6:Siege, gears of war 4. 60+ fps

gtx 1080 ti or volta?
i7-8700k
Cooling: not sure if I should go air or w/c? water cooling might make me exclude a br disc drive bay
SSD- about 1tb
Case- Phanteks or something with at least 1 usb-c 3.1 and maybe a drive bay for BR disc - I'm not a huge fan of all of the RGB colors over everything. It's cool but I think I'd probably end up turning all of the lights off eventually. I don't want it to be too loud.

I've been wanting to build a PC since 2009, I have saved a lot of cash over the years and have decided that I am going to go all in. I'm giving myself 3-6 months to 1) let me iron out exactly what I want and 2) allow some time for Volta and the new HDR monitors to come out. I've built a PC before for a family members and it went smoothly. Yeah I know, I built one for someone else and not myself. I played pc games during high school, got out of it in college when the 360 came out and basically played on consoles until now.

You're going to need all the power you can get for 4K, so waiting for flagship Volta if it's out by early next year will be the best GPU choice if possible.

Cases with USB 3.1 Type C is very rare, and having one with a 5.25'' drive bay is even tougher, maybe even non-existent yet. I've seen a few with 3.0 Type C though. You may need to add a Type C 3.1 front panel separately to the case or mod your own.

With your budget, you can easily get pretty much any high end build.

gtx 1080 ti or volta?
i7-8700k
SSD- about 1tb

If you've got a 3-6 month timeline and want 4K, absolutely wait for Volta and buy whatever the 1080 Ti equivalent is (1180 Ti? 2080 Ti?). The 8700k will be plentiful by then as will whatever motherboard is deemed the best by that point.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
*build stuff*
We're almost in exact same situation hehe. I said fuck it and am now going for(or trying) 1440p 144Hz now instead of 4K 60fps+ HDR. As others have suggested, if targeting 4K 60fps+ on single GPU, definitely wait for the Ti variant of the next generation nvidia cards or AMD if it's an absolute monster(doubt it). Honestly, I'm not even fully sure if the 1080Ti successor is the GPU you're looking for regarding 4K 60fps+ across the board. My gut feeling says this single 4K HDR 60fps+ GPU most are waiting for might be 2 generations out. But I really hope I'm proven wrong within the next year and a half. Reagardless, whatever build you'll put together with that budget will be an absolute monsssster! Can't freaking wait. :)

kuYuri

If you've got a 3-6 month timeline and want 4K, absolutely wait for Volta and buy whatever the 1080 Ti equivalent is (1180 Ti? 2080 Ti?). The 8700k will be plentiful by then as will whatever motherboard is deemed the best by that point.

it's going to be an x80 card, x80 Ti cards don't come out that fast, heh. It comes out some months after a Titan card has been on the market.

DoomGyver

We're almost in exact same situation hehe. I said fuck it and am now going for(or trying) 1440p 144Hz now instead of 4K 60fps+ HDR. As others have suggested, if targeting 4K 60fps+ on single GPU, definitely wait for the Ti variant of the next generation nvidia cards or AMD if it's an absolute monster(doubt it). Honestly, I'm not even fully sure if the 1080Ti successor is the GPU you're looking for regarding 4K 60fps+ across the board. My gut feeling says this single 4K HDR 60fps+ GPU most are waiting for might be 2 generations out. But I really hope I'm proven wrong within the next year and a half. Reagardless, whatever build you'll put together with that budget will be an absolute monsssster! Can't freaking wait. :)

I could still end up going 21:9, I really like the presentation that aspect ratio gives. I will admit that I'm not the most computer literate person in the world and I will need some help. Something I haven't researched is SLI, all I've heard is that it isn't good. Is it because of a lack of optimization? or do you just not get much performance out of it for the cost of another video card?

Another question, SSD's. Is M.2 worth like double the cost of a normal SSD? Should I go with something like 480gb m.2 and a 1tb SSD?

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I could still end up going 21:9, I really like the presentation that aspect ratio gives. I will admit that I'm not the most computer literate person in the world and I will need some help. Something I haven't researched is SLI, all I've heard is that it isn't good. Is it because of a lack of optimization? or do you just not get much performance out of it for the cost of another video card?

Another question, SSD's. Is M.2 worth like double the cost of a normal SSD? Should I go with something like 480gb m.2 and a 1tb SSD?
You've heard correct. Stay as far away from SLI as you possibly can even if you have infinite money to burn. The support is beyond abysmal and single GPU solutions are the way to go by far. Much less hassle and everything works much more smoothly as intended. The ONLY scenario where I would even consider SLI is if they got their shit together software wise and can power one VR screen per GPU perfectly. Then I would actually consider it since I'm going all in on VR.

Regarding M.2, hell no unless you're doing video editing or something similar. Their read/write speeds are fucking insane compared to a regular SSD. You can go for the non-Pro models if you must go M.2 since they offer very similar performance and are usually much cheaper. But if you need space, I'd stick to the regular 1TB SSD for much much cheaper.
I personally went M.2 cause I don't want no SATA interface/extra cable mess and going for that clean minimal look even though I could've easily mounted my spare SSDs in the back lol.

Mugy

Do you guys recommend buying right now, or wait? i want to have pieces before december.

Can we expect a price drop or something similar, or isn't gonna happen?

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Do you guys recommend buying right now, or wait? i want to have pieces before december.

Can we expect a price drop or something similar, or isn't gonna happen?
Ryzen build: No. Can build a beast affordable system right now.
Intel Coffee Lake build: Yes, cause of bs paper-launch & stock issues.

Regarding price drops, sure since we're near the holidays. But there is always something cheaper and better on the horizon. The worst thing about building now or anytime soon is the damn memory chip prices & cryptocurrency mining which drove the price of RAM & GPUs sky high. Which truly freaking sucks for people like me building now lol.

Jarnet87

I have until mid December to apply for the EVGA step up program, and then on top of it the wait time for getting the card. May not have to get the rest of the build until couple months into 2018. May get some of the parts around the holidays if I see some great deals.

ironmang

Gotchu man.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I'm probably going to go with the Ryzen path.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Yeah, that is "normal", the ink is not a liquid anymore and went firm.

As I read you also tried to use all the tools from your printer and it still doesn't work.
Can you sent the firm ink back to HP for a new one?

Thanks, I don't think so but a new b&w cartridge was only $18 so I bought one today and the printer's as good as new (I don't need color so just removed that cartridge).

J_Viper

I have a question relating to G-Sync monitors

Is it possible to play a game at 30 FPS on one without having it feel like sludge?

I can play a 30 FPS console game all day, but when I try to play something at 30 FPS on my PC, it's simply unplayable.

Got some Phanteks RGB LED strips, wired them up to the motherboard, turned them on they seem to be emitting a buzzing/humming sound. What the fuck?

What's the cause of this and how do I fix it?

JesseZao

Anyone still have a Xonar DG sound card? I made a build a few years ago with one and the latest W10 update seemed to kill it (popping echo sounds with no mic).

Should I even have a sound card at this point?

Are the external ones better?

Ted

So it's all ordered now. Gone for a mechanical drive to start off with to stay in budget and will upgrade to an SSD/SSD M2 in the longer term.

Final parts list:

AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor
Gigabyte - GA-AB350M-Gaming 3 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Crucial - Ballistix Tactical 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Asus - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Dual Video Card
EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G2, 80+ GOLD 550W

All housed in:

Cooler Master - MasterBox Lite 3.1 MicroATX Mid Tower Case (with in built rear case fan) + 1 x be quiet! Pure Wings BL046 3-Pin 120 mm Case Fan for the front.

Now to find a cheap legit W10 key.

Parts should all be delivered by the end of next week. I'm excited but also quietly shitting myself!

Wish me luck.

rezn0r

Anyone still have a Xonar DG sound card? I made a build a few years ago with one and the latest W10 update seemed to kill it (popping echo sounds with no mic).

Should I even have a sound card at this point?

Are the external ones better?

It's been a long time since I dealt with these (waiting on 8700Ks to build a new PC) but I remember this package helping with Xonar issues, especially post-Windows 7

http://maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
So it's all ordered now. Gone for a mechanical drive to start off with to stay in budget and will upgrade to an SSD/SSD M2 in the longer term.

Final parts list:

Crucial - Ballistix Tactical 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G2, 80+ GOLD 550W

All housed in:

Cooler Master - MasterBox Lite 3.1 MicroATX Mid Tower Case (with in built rear case fan) + 1 x be quiet! Pure Wings BL046 3-Pin 120 mm Case Fan for the front.

Now to find a cheap legit W10 key.

Parts should all be delivered by the end of next week. I'm excited but also quietly shitting myself!

Wish me luck.

i did the same in regards to storage when i built my PC. got a 1tb 7200rpm drive then a few months later put in a 1TB SSD.

why just 1 stick of ram? i don't understand.

for a windows key i got mine from reddit for $25. not sure if i can post a link since it might not be entirely legit but my key has been working just fine for the last 16 months.

Ted

why just 1 stick of ram? i don't understand.

I assumed 1 x 8gb would be a better way to go rather than 2 x 4gb so I could match another 8gb stick in there at a later date for 16gb total. Have I misunderstood?

EDIT - Just done some further research and 2 x 4gb is quicker, WTF. OK, RAM cancelled. Will look into this some more!

JesseZao

It's been a long time since I dealt with these (waiting on 8700Ks to build a new PC) but I remember this package helping with Xonar issues, especially post-Windows 7

http://maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/

Yeah, I've been using that one, but no dice on latest update yet. Guess I wait until they get a stable patch for it.

I've had no issues with my Soundblaster Z. Bit if you want an external solution try the Schiit Modi 2.

http://www.schiit.com/products/modi-2

I'll keep these in mind if I decide to replace it, thanks.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I assumed 1 x 8gb would be a better way to go rather than 2 x 4gb so I could match another 8gb stick in there at a later date for 16gb total. Have I misunderstood?

the motherboard/cpu you bought supports dual channel memory so if you only have 1 stick in there it's gonna be doing all the work itself and not sharing it with a second stick. 2x4GB is generally better than 1x8GB. also it's considered best to buy a pack with 2 sticks so you know they were produced in the same batch.

i'm sure you'll be OK with 1 stick and buying another at some point in the future but just make sure it's the exact same brand/model with the same specs.

Ted

the motherboard/cpu you bought supports dual channel memory so if you only have 1 stick in there it's gonna be doing all the work itself and not sharing it with a second stick. 2x4GB is generally better than 1x8GB. also it's considered best to buy a pack with 2 sticks so you know they were produced in the same batch.

i'm sure you'll be OK with 1 stick and buying another at some point in the future but just make sure it's the exact same brand/model with the same specs.

Thanks for this blly. I wondered awhile back about this and have had advice both ways. I honestly hadn't realised that dual vs single channel was a thing but I think if there is a genuine performance advantage I'd rather go 2 x 4gb and pay a little more for an upgrade in the future.

Build now looks like:

Corsair - CMK8GX4M2A2666C16R Vengeance LPX 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 2666Mhz
EVGA - SuperNOVA 550 G2, 80+ GOLD 550W

All housed in:

Phew! Long day of looking for info on all this. Now I understand why people are freaked out by all this stuff. The complexity slightly dulls the excitement and increases the nerves but I hope I've done the right thing.

Eek! I'm going to be building a PC next week. Eek!

I finished my new build and I'm pretty happy with it. I do wonder about something though... I have a Ryzen 1700 and I'm using the stock wraith cooler. If I want to upgrade the cooler, are there any that don't need a new backplate? I'd just rather not have to pull the mobo out and redo the cable management if I can avoid it. Thanks.

I finished my new build and I'm pretty happy with it. I do wonder about something though... I have a Ryzen 1700 and I'm using the stock wraith cooler. If I want to upgrade the cooler, are there any that don't need a new backplate? I'd just rather not have to pull the mobo out and redo the cable management if I can avoid it. Thanks.

Noctua's don't, neither does the 212 Turbo LED but the latter can only be mounted sideways.

Top Bottom