• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

Hi hardware GAF.

I'm currently gaming with an aging Radeon 7870 and I5 3550 on my office computer. I'm looking to upgrade the GPU to something quite high end. If I were to buy one today I would probably go with a 1080. Thing is, it's been over a year since the 1080 hit the market, so I was wondering if there's a good chance to see a new Nvidia GPU in the next 6 months.

What I want is future proof 1080P/60FPS. I currently have two Dell 23 inch screens but I will upgrade the older one of them to a 1440 27 inch at some point, so 1440P gaming would be an option when I can get 60 FPS.

Bloodember

Hi hardware GAF.

I'm currently gaming with an aging Radeon 7870 and I5 3550 on my office computer. I'm looking to upgrade the GPU to something quite high end. If I were to buy one today I would probably go with a 1080. Thing is, it's been over a year since the 1080 hit the market, so I was wondering if there's a good chance to see a new Nvidia GPU in the next 6 months.

What I want is future proof 1080P/60FPS. I currently have two Dell 23 inch screens but I will upgrade the older one of them to a 1440 27 inch at some point, so 1440P gaming would be an option when I can get 60 FPS.

What's your budget? Do you want Intel or AMD or whatever is more future proof? The new GPU's wont be out til at least Spring, so you have no worries there, the 1070 TI should be out within a few weeks though.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Thanks for this blly. I wondered awhile back about this and have had advice both ways. I honestly hadn't realised that dual vs single channel was a thing but I think if there is a genuine performance advantage I'd rather go 2 x 4gb and pay a little more for an upgrade in the future.

Build now looks like:

AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor
Gigabyte - GA-AB350M-Gaming 3 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Corsair - CMK8GX4M2A2666C16R Vengeance LPX 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 2666Mhz
Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Asus - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Dual Video Card
EVGA - SuperNOVA 550 G2, 80+ GOLD 550W

All housed in:

Cooler Master - MasterBox Lite 3.1 MicroATX Mid Tower Case (with in built rear case fan) + 1 x be quiet! Pure Wings BL046 3-Pin 120 mm Case Fan for the front.

Phew! Long day of looking for info on all this. Now I understand why people are freaked out by all this stuff. The complexity slightly dulls the excitement and increases the nerves but I hope I've done the right thing.

Eek! I'm going to be building a PC next week. Eek!

no problem :) i remember how scary it was building my first PC. i was freaking out but once i put it all together i was already looking forward to my next build lol.

if you need any help when all the parts get there then just come back in here and we'll help you out :D

What's your budget? Do you want Intel or AMD or whatever is more future proof? The new GPU's wont be out til at least Spring, so you have no worries there, the 1070 TI should be out within a few weeks though.

Budget is not really a concern, though I do want to get value for money rather than buying the absolute highest end thing there is. I prefer Intel CPU's but not opposed to buying AMD. I am considering upgrading to a 8700K right now. Like, I would rather wait for an 8 core Cannonlake because the 3550 is pretty solid for my needs right now (I'm a software engineer and do some content production), but if I upgrade my GPU and cant game at 60FPS on the newest games due to CPU limits then that's kind of silly. I can wait 12-18 months on the CPU but maybe 6-8 on the GPU because there are cool games coming up and some in my backlog that the 7870 won't run.

OCD Guy

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Y4dqyf

Any feedbacks regarding this PC build? I've been waiting on Coffee Lake processor and now its out (and sold out everywhere), I don't know if I should just go ahead and get i7-7800k or wait out for i7-8700k.

My advice is to go for the i3 8350k. It’s quad core and overclocks to around 5ghz. It performs just as well as the 7700k (better in some games) and you have the advantage of having an upgrade path.

As you’d be on Z370, in the future you can just sell your cpu and buy an 8700k. With Z270 and 7700k you’re end of line. Although the reality is the 7700k will be more than sufficient for gaming for some time.

Might be worth doing some research on the 8350k, reading reviews, looking at benchmarks etc. You’ll probably be pleasantly surprised, they’re much cheaper than the 7700k too, and more importantly unlike the 8700k the 8350k is in stock.

Also with the money you’d save buying an 8350k you’d be able to push the gpu up to a 1080, and you’d notice more difference in gaming with an 8350k and 1080 than 7700k and 1070.

I’ve actually done the same thing, 8700k is out of stock where I am, so went for a z370 Strix itx, 8350k and 1080 gaming x. Once the 8700k stock improves I’ll sell my cpu and upgrade. I’m coming from a 6700k and 980ti so I’m hoping to notice a difference. I just wish G-Sync monitors were cheaper. I almost considered getting a Vega 64 card as I have a freesync monitor, but they’re nearly 1080ti money....

Josman

Budget is not really a concern, though I do want to get value for money rather than buying the absolute highest end thing there is. I prefer Intel CPU's but not opposed to buying AMD. I am considering upgrading to a 8700K right now. Like, I would rather wait for an 8 core Cannonlake because the 3550 is pretty solid for my needs right now (I'm a software engineer and do some content production), but if I upgrade my GPU and cant game at 60FPS on the newest games due to CPU limits then that's kind of silly. I can wait 12-18 months on the CPU but maybe 6-8 on the GPU because there are cool games coming up and some in my backlog that the 7870 won't run.

I'm in a similar situation, what I did was getting a 1070 because it was on sale, and in terms of price/performance it beats a 1080. You could do that or wait for the soon to be released 1070ti, and wait for cheaper B motherboards early next year and then get an i5 8400, which is unbeatable un terms of value.

My advice is to go for the i3 8350k. It's quad core and overclocks to around 5ghz. It performs just as well as the 7700k (better in some games) and you have the advantage of having an upgrade path.

As you'd be on Z370, in the future you can just sell your cpu and buy an 8700k. With Z270 and 7700k you're end of line. Although the reality is the 7700k will be more than sufficient for gaming for some time.

Might be worth doing some research on the 8350k, reading reviews, looking at benchmarks etc. You'll probably be pleasantly surprised, they're much cheaper than the 7700k too, and more importantly unlike the 8700k the 8350k is in stock.

Also with the money you'd save buying an 8350k you'd be able to push the gpu up to a 1080, and you'd notice more difference in gaming with an 8350k and 1080 than 7700k and 1070.

I've actually done the same thing, 8700k is out of stock where I am, so went for a z370 Strix itx, 8350k and 1080 gaming x. Once the 8700k stock improves I'll sell my cpu and upgrade. I'm coming from a 6700k and 980ti so I'm hoping to notice a difference. I just wish G-Sync monitors were cheaper. I almost considered getting a Vega 64 card as I have a freesync monitor, but they're nearly 1080ti money....
Good to know. You really think it's a good idea to get 8350k instead? I'm stuck with 1070 because I already bought it months ago and been sitting around for upgrade.

Also, is 8350k capable of emulating dolphin and pcsx2 well enough?

OCD Guy

Good to know. You really think it's a good idea to get 8350k instead? I'm stuck with 1070 because I already bought it months ago and been sitting around for upgrade.

Also, is 8350k capable of emulating dolphin and pcsx2 well enough?

The 8350k is pretty much a rebadged 7600k with improved IPC.

Go and look and benchmarks and see how well it performs.

I think it’s a better buy than the 7700k, it’s cheaper, performs better in some games, and you have an upgrade path. All you need to do is buy a new cpu. With Z270 you’ll have to buy a new motherboard if you want to buy a better cpu.

I’m not sure what to expect with regards to emulators as I don’t use them, but if the 7700k is capable then you’ll have no issues with the 8350k.

As I said it’s definitely worth looking at some benchmarks, reviews etc of the 8350k, and also bare in mind that it’s significantly cheaper than a 7700k.

The 8350k is pretty much a rebadged 7600k with improved IPC.

Go and look and benchmarks and see how well it performs.

I think it’s a better buy than the 7700k, it’s cheaper, performs better in some games, and you have an upgrade path. All you need to do is buy a new cpu. With Z270 you’ll have to buy a new motherboard.

I’m not sure what to expect with regards to emulators as I don’t use them, but if the 7700k is capable then you’ll have no issues with the 8350k.

As I said it’s definitely worth looking at some benchmarks, reviews etc of the 8350k, and also bare in mind that it’s significantly cheaper than a 7700k.

Please show me where the 8350k comes close to a 7700k in anything. Theres little to no ipc improvement. All gains are due to increased core count. And Ive even been reading the 8350k really isn't that good of a overclocker.

OCD Guy

Please show me where the 8350k comes close to a 7700k in anything. Theres little to no ipc improvement. All gains are due to increased core count. And Ive even been reading the 8350k really isn't that good of a overclocker.

I’d be interested to see evidence of the 8350k not coming close to the 7700k to be honest? They’re within spitting distance of each other, the benchmarks in the reviews are there for all to see.

In my research online I certainly didn’t come across any benchmarks where the 8350k didn’t come close to the 7700k the way you say.

With regards to overclocking the results have been similar to the 7600k. Any variance comes down to the silicon lottery.

I’d be interested to see evidence of the 8350k not coming close to the 7700k to be honest? They’re within spitting distance of each other, the benchmarks in the reviews are there for all to see.

In my research online I certainly didn’t come across any benchmarks where the 8350k didn’t come close to the 7700k the way you say.

With regards to overclocking the results have been similar to the 7600k. Any variance comes down to the silicon lottery.

It's like the 2500k vs 2600k debate. 8350k is basically a 7600k/6600k. Coffee lake is not some kind of ipc jesus that's going to magically be as good as a quad core with ht.

I've read two reviews, since I was also considering getting this CPU to hold me over until a 8700k is available, and one guy (techpowerup) got his to 4.5, the other (techspot) got it to 4.9.

Mrbob

Id personally wait for the 8700k to come back in stock instead of using the 8350k as a placeholder. Which may mean waiting until Dec or Jan.

There's no argument for the 8350k. The 8400 is practically the same price and has 2 additional physical cores that no amount of overclocking is going to make up for. You also get that performance out of the box and don't need a 240mm water cooler and have to put up with ridiculous power consumption like you do with an overclocked 8350k.

Sciortino

Hey guys this doesnt really have to do with actually building a PC but I just got my new rig and I went with a 1080ti. I also just bought an Acer Predator xb271hu.

For some reason when I connect my displayport cable from my PC to my monitor, my PC wont even boot up. So I decided to unplug it and tried out an HDMI cable and the PC booted up perfectly with no issues. But if I re plug the displayport cable when the PC is booted up then everything works fine.

So the issue is that my PC wont boot up if its connected with a displayport cable to my monitor.

Really dont understand whats happening.. Can anyone help?

Went to Micro Center to upgrade my HTPC...

left with:

R5 1500X
ASUS Prime B350M
16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
Thermaltake Core V21

I decided I never want to deal with the Cooler Master Elite 130 again... I'll just have a larger PC in the living room.

taoofjord

A few questions based off this build:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/SoupaSoka/saved/FFRsJx

1) Anyone have the EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3 PSU? Is it quiet?

2) The G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB is out of stock. Any good alternatives that won't get in the way of the cpu cooler?

3) Is it recommended I grab an optical drive to install Windows 10? Or should I just buy the flash drive version?

4) Any recommendations on a slightly faster, sleeker SSD than the Crucial - MX300 525GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive?

Went to Micro Center to upgrade my HTPC...

left with:

R5 1500X
ASUS Prime B350M
16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
Thermaltake Core V21

I decided I never want to deal with the Cooler Master Elite 130 again... I'll just have a larger PC in the living room.

Good look with the V21. Got one myself, it's a love/hate relationship.

papasmurf1038

Neo Member
Just wanted to drop in to say thanks for all the great info in this thread! I took the plunge and was able to build my first ever PC with a little bit of help from the tutorials, advice, and part pickers found in here.

Foxxsoxx

Hey dudes, as someone who doesn't know anything about PCs, I found this and wanted to know if it was worth it or not considering it's the max my budget can do.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/co...ktQt9g_DBoCx2YQAvD_BwE&is=REG&m=Y&sku=1323088

Looking for 1080p (possibly 1440p? Not sure if that's doable) 60fps with mid graphic settings, and preferably wouldn't want to build one unless I could get it much cheaper. The tower looks pretty... different, never seen one like that before, it looks like a console if anything.

Pokemaniac

So I've currently got most of the components for my PC ready at this point aside from the CPU (an i7-8700k that I've got on backorder) and RAM (the RAM I could pick up at basically any time). One thing I'm a little concerned about is that it's looking likely that the return window might be over for a lot of these parts by the time the CPU arrives. I don't suppose there's any way I could really test them without having the CPU attached, is there?

Leonidas

Hey dudes, as someone who doesn't know anything about PCs, I found this and wanted to know if it was worth it or not considering it's the max my budget can do.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/co...ktQt9g_DBoCx2YQAvD_BwE&is=REG&m=Y&sku=1323088

Looking for 1080p (possibly 1440p? Not sure if that's doable) 60fps with mid graphic settings, and preferably wouldn't want to build one unless I could get it much cheaper. The tower looks pretty... different, never seen one like that before, it looks like a console if anything.

GTX 1060 3 GB is great for 1080p. 1440p capable in older titles which don't use much memory. I'm concerned about the i5 in that machine though, that 2.5 GHz i5 is spec'd lower than 8000 series desktop i3s...

JEKKI

whooo~!!! check out my newest piece!!!

3bjdNXEl.jpg

to add to this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=249116838&postcount=10390

am I doing good so far?

1060 3GB single fan; it has a solid 4.5 rating on Amazon so I hope it's legit!

I got it coz it was on sale for $200, but now that I'm looking at it on Amazon I can see they have it for only $195 :(

same with the i5 I bought... I picked it up coz I was happy in thinking $200 was a good deal.

in the weeks since, I've seen it drop as low as $175...

really sucks... I dont even plan on having all the pieces until next year but I keep missing out on deals...

Foxxsoxx

GTX 1060 3 GB is great for 1080p. 1440p capable in older titles which don't use much memory. I'm concerned about the i5 in that machine though, that 2.5 GHz i5 is spec'd lower than 8000 series desktop i3s...

Hmm, so you'd pass? I'm not very knowledgeable about what sort of GO I I'll be needing, but is rather have more than less. I'm want go get into PC gaming almost exclusively for framerate, unfortunately I'm an idiot when it comes to understanding what I need.

Leonidas

Hmm, so you'd pass? I'm not very knowledgeable about what sort of GO I I'll be needing, but is rather have more than less. I'm want go get into PC gaming almost exclusively for framerate, unfortunately I'm an idiot when it comes to understanding what I need.

I would pass personally for the following reasons.

1. Mobile chipset prevents upgradeability
2. i5 7300HQ is a laptop processor
4. single channel RAM in that configuration(1x8 GB)
5. 5400 RPM HDD
6. Loud(according to the review linked)
7. 230w PSU

Found this review.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/asus-vivopc-x

It's cool that it's console sized but there is no upgrade path(outside of replacing the SSD and RAM). Upon further research the CPU does boost to 3.5 GHz so it's not terribly limiting but it's still a mobile processor... if these things don't bother you then it might be okay, they tested some games and got some good results
with the ability to run Prey 80-100 fps (frames per second) at its highest settings, there isn't a whole lot to complain about. You will certainly be able to play games like Overwatch and Resident Evil 7 at a super-smooth 100 fps. 
but in the most demanding games some settings will need to be turned down. Deus Ex Mankind Divided brought the system to it's knees for example(11 FPS on ultra, probably due to 3 GB VRAM).

A few questions based off this build:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/SoupaSoka/saved/FFRsJx

1) Anyone have the EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3 PSU? Is it quiet?

2) The G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB is out of stock. Any good alternatives that won't get in the way of the cpu cooler?

3) Is it recommended I grab an optical drive to install Windows 10? Or should I just buy the flash drive version?

4) Any recommendations on a slightly faster, sleeker SSD than the Crucial - MX300 525GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive?

1) I have the 750. It seems fine to me.

2) I got a deal on G.SKILL Flare X Series RAM. It works at 3200 for me no problem.

3) You want to install Windows from a flash drive in UEFI mode.

4) I went with a Samsung EVO m.2 drive. I put an EKWB EK-M.2 NVMe Heatsink on it.

Foxxsoxx

I would pass personally for the following reasons.

1. Mobile chipset prevents upgradeability
2. i5 7300HQ is a laptop processor
4. single channel RAM in that configuration(1x8 GB)
5. 5400 RPM HDD
6. Loud(according to the review linked)
7. 230w PSU

Found this review.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/asus-vivopc-x

It's cool that it's console sized but there is no upgrade path(outside of replacing the SSD and RAM). Upon further research the CPU does boost to 3.5 GHz so it's not terribly limiting but it's still a mobile processor... if these things don't bother you then it might be okay, they tested some games and got some good results but in the most demanding games some settings will need to be turned down. Deus Ex Mankind Divided brought the system to it's knees for example(11 FPS on ultra, probably due to 3 GB VRAM).

I appreciate it, I was thinking it wasn't compatible with being upgraded which worried me, so yeah I doubt I'll end up getting that then.

AXE

Heya!

Whats the best mobo to go with Coffee Lake? Is it too early to get 8700k and should I wait for better mobos to come around?

Mugy

whooo~!!! check out my newest piece!!!

3bjdNXEl.jpg

to add to this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=249116838&postcount=10390

am I doing good so far?

1060 3GB single fan; it has a solid 4.5 rating on Amazon so I hope it's legit!

I got it coz it was on sale for $200, but now that I'm looking at it on Amazon I can see they have it for only $195 :(

same with the i5 I bought... I picked it up coz I was happy in thinking $200 was a good deal.

in the weeks since, I've seen it drop as low as $175...

really sucks... I dont even plan on having all the pieces until next year but I keep missing out on deals...

Hey where did you bough this one?

bigJP

need help building a pc for a friend

use: gaming and 3d modelling/design
cost: $1000 us

main purpose will be for game design (modelling work)
will need a drawing pad

want to keep costs down but still need it to be decent quality

coastel

Hi can anyone help I have been having PC crashed when doing small OCs. I did put it down to a bios update but now I'm thinking it's a power problem. Temps are well within safe range for cpu and gpu. It seems to happen with benchmarking. The last crash I had, my gpu was overclocked and a boost clock on my cpu which is only 200mhz.
When running cinebench it crashed the PC. Before the bios update it was stable with a 3.7 OC. Now I can't overclock at all as setting are different in the bios.
I'm on an extention lead, would this cause power instability?
I'm using a 500 watt corsair psu.
Ryzen 1600
Gtx 1060 6gb turbo
16gb 2400 ram
B350m gaming pro
PC part picker puts the wattage fine with headroom.
Extention lead says 13A 230v max load.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
A friend wants me to build a pc

However i don't know what os to install. Is there anything about windows 10 i need to know?
Does it auto updtate any drivers?

I remember hearing that but i want to make sure

:O

I have on sitting right behind me waiting for my other PC parts to arrive. What's bad about it?

-The front panel has a tendency to block up with dust and it's hard to clean without taking it off and taking apart.
This was cleaned yesterday. The flash does make it look worse though.
horror.jpg

-It also also has a tendency to pop out on one of the corner's when you're putting it back on.
-Cable management is limited.
-It's fucking huge.

On the plus side though.
+Airflow
+Customisable
+Big enough to put pretty much anything you could ever want inside it.

I'm on the fence between ditching it for a Meshify C, or taking the front panel apart and replacing the mesh with a thinner and easier to clean dust filter.

Any issues with Ryzen I should know about?

It's finicky with memory, though I never had a problem with that using two different brands of 3000mhz RAM that weren't on the QVL list.

Good look with the V21. Got one myself, it's a love/hate relationship.

It's definitely easier to build in than the Elite 130, better cable management to boot.

I had been using my PSU as the exhaust fan and my Prolimatech Samuel 17 with Ultra Sleek Vortex 14 in a pull configuration blowing directly into the PSU intake. The Wraith Spire wouldn't have fit.

Bloodember

need help building a pc for a friend

use: gaming and 3d modelling/design
cost: $1000 us

main purpose will be for game design (modelling work)
will need a drawing pad

want to keep costs down but still need it to be decent quality

Does the budget include a monitor, keyboard, and mouse? I'm assuming the drawing pad is included since you stated they will need one.

Ted

Hi, wiring questions.

PSU instructions say:

EVGA said:
1) Connect the 24-pin ATX cable to the PSU and the mother board.
2) Connect the 4+4 pin EPS12V cable to the motherboard.
3) Connect the 6/6+2-pin PCI-E cables to your graphic card(s).

I'm fine with 1 but am confused a little by 2 and 3.

With regards to 2, I have a cable marked CPU with an 8 pin connector one end and two 4 pin connectors on the other. The motherboard manual lists an 8 pin port called ATX_12V. I assume this is the prot I'm looking for but which end goes into the PSU and which into the motherboard? 2 x 4 pin into the MB side or PSU side?

With regards to 3, I have a cable marked VGA with an 8 pin connector on one end and a 6 pin connector and 2 pin connector on the other end. The PSU has a corresponding port with 8 pins and the GPU (ASUS 1060 6gb) has a 6 pin port. I assume I plug the 8 pin into the PSU and the 6 pin into the GPU but then where does the loose 2 pin connector go?

Thanks is advance for replies.

Hi, wiring questions.

PSU instructions say:

I'm fine with 1 but am confused a little by 2 and 3.

With regards to 2, I have a cable marked CPU with an 8 pin connector one end and two 4 pin connectors on the other. The motherboard manual lists an 8 pin port called ATX_12V. I assume this is the prot I'm looking for but which end goes into the PSU and which into the motherboard? 2 x 4 pin into the MB side or PSU side?

With regards to 3, I have a cable marked VGA with an 8 pin connector on one end and a 6 pin connector and 2 pin connector on the other end. The PSU has a corresponding port with 8 pins and the GPU (ASUS 1060 6gb) has a 6 pin port. I assume I plug the 8 pin into the PSU and the 6 pin into the GPU but then where does the loose 2 pin connector go?

Thanks is advance for replies.
2) Check your PSU's manual, it will tell you which way to orient it (it can vary depending on the PSU).
3) You just leave the 2 pin hanging.

Top Bottom