• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

Hey guys, I just have a quick question.

Decided that I wouldn't be switching my case for a while (I wanted to keep my watercooling, so I could've went into a Sugo SG13 but my PSU is 160mm >_>) so I just need to ask another thing to make sure that I don't waste my money.

If I already have an i5 6600k (built my first build in January), I mostly game (but I have a GTX 1060 6GB so I think I should be good) and sometimes multitask (gaming, word documents, photo editing, music software and firefox all on, not always all at the same time) and I'm looking to not have to upgrade for the next 4 years at least, is it worth it to upgrade to a 6700k or a 7700k and sell my old processor? I didn't think about this before (Ryzen releasing sort of threw a wrench in my plans) and originally I was just going to upgrade my GPU/CPU in the next generation or two.

Looking to invest in a gaming PC. Don't feel like looking through the thread/OP for details either lol I plan to primarily play exclusive Indy titles and a few recent generation ports (like Bayonetta) at nice/high settings. Looking to spend $1000 or below. Don't feel like building one either. Any new egg recommendations? Thanks!

is it worth it to upgrade to a 6700k or a 7700k and sell my old processor?

No.

Looking to invest in a gaming PC. Don't feel like looking through the thread/OP for details either lol I plan to primarily play exclusive Indy titles and a few recent generation ports (like Bayonetta) at nice/high settings. Looking to spend $1000 or below. Don't feel like building one either. Any new egg recommendations? Thanks!

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883221343

Kyne

Think I'll just ask this here:

What kind of Monitor would someone want for PC FPS gaming?

144hz? Gsync? High Resolution? All 3?

I assume if it's all 3 it'll be expensive. So what would we prioritize if we're sort of on a budget?

thuway

Has anyone tried Jonesbo cases? I'm thinking of going SFF but with a case that's easy to build in and looks awesome. Any recomendations?

Pooya

Think I'll just ask this here:

What kind of Monitor would someone want for PC FPS gaming?

144hz? Gsync? High Resolution? All 3?

I assume if it's all 3 it'll be expensive. So what would we prioritize if we're sort of on a budget?

144Hz, hires, gsync in that order.

well, yeah something like asus rog swift cost like $800...

For games like csgo/overwatch, you don't need gsync, you can maintain fps with a decent card. Benq has a line up of affordable 144Hz TN monitors that are great for competitive FPS gaming, most of pros use those. Samsung FG70 is another excellent monitor for the money that has Freesync. These are 1080p monitors but still good.

Pooya

I submitted my post early btw, it wasn't finished :b I gave you a place to start.

I don't know if you want IPS actually. I've converted to VA.... you really want good contrast, 1000:1 and IPS glow for that much money are just not acceptable. Newer VA panels are very very nice, There might still be some ghosting issues in some transitions but all the other things it does better make it the best option imo. In the end it's up to you which type of panel you like best but definitely take a good look at VA panels, people just think IPS is best and don't really consider the options. All the top of the line LED TVs are now VA btw.

Just waiting for Samsung's 2017 lineup, very promising.

Looks like Newegg sells 18 1440p 60hz monitors and the cheapest is on sale for $220: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009969&ignorebbr=1

I'd go to a Frys, Microcenter, or Bestbuy and try to see whatever monitor you like in person though. There may be things that you wouldn't normal think about like if the screen is matte or glossy, what you think about the build quality, etc...
Also keep in mind that the cheaper monitors are going to be TN rather than IPS and won't have variable refresh rate.

I see that Newegg has the HP E272q on sale for $295 vs $359 on HP's own website.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0V5-000U-00052&ignorebbr=1
http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-el...ch-qhd-monitor-(energy-star)-p-m1p04a8-aba--1
27", 1440p, IPS, 60hz, reputable brand... it may be worth a look within the under $300 price range. At 27" or larger I definitely recommend IPS vs TN due to color shift.

Thanks, very helpful. I'm going to checkout my local Microcenter and just get a sense of what I like. I don't know if I'm ready to upgrade my GPU to a card that can easily handle 1440p just yet, but it's all on my radar, so I wanted to get a sense of things early.

liezryou

Can't wait for vega after that video leak. If it performs between the 1080 and 1080ti as expected and is priced aggressively, count me in. My 150$ rx480 + 120$ 1080p 75hz IPS freesync have been such value holy shit. I dropped by my local Costco to see a similar gsync monitor for 400$ and I just laughed. For people on a budget, I don't know why you'd go Nvidia.

endre

Hey guys, I need some help with my new build. I will be keeping my case and Chieftec (CFT-600-14CS) PSU.

I have decided on the R5 1600. I want to have more cores available for rendering and running virtual machines. Later on I could change the cooler and overclock the cpu, and even later on maybe even the processor as the AM4 socket should stay for a few generations.

Now, I have some hard time choosing a motherboard and a pair of 8GB RAM modules. I want a motherboard that supports two GPUs, and I am heavily leaning towards the Asus Prime X370 Pro. Mainly because I'm drawn to Asus and it seems to have the best on board sound card available on the AM4 boards (I might be very wrong here).

My plan is to buy the motherboard, the cpu and the ram kit this month, assemble the components and stick my GTX460 into one of the GPU slots. As I understand the PCIx16 slots are backwards compatible.

Next month I would buy the Quadro P600 (for some reason only PNY is offering one), and down the road I would get an additional GTX1060 as a replacement for the 460.

So, how feasible is my plan? And like I said, I would really appreciate some guidance in picking the MB and the RAM considering all this talk about supported memory. Thanks in advance!

LegendX48

I currently have a system with an i7 3770k and was wondering if it would it be worthwhile to upgrade to a 7700k? It'd be for gaming, general use, some heavy photoshop, manga studio and adobe animate cc use along with some occasional streaming. I really wanted to jump on the ryzen bandwagon but the more benchmarks I look at the more it seems like that'd be a terrible idea.

Mozendo

I'm going to get new RAM. I want to get 16gb but not break the bank. Any suggestions?

Whatever it's your budget and has the highest speed.
Corsair, G.Skill, Kingston, etc don't make their own RAM, just like Corsair, EVGA, etc don't make their own PSUs. Of course there are exceptions since SeaSonic and SuperFlower do make their own units, I believe Crucial (in a way?) produces their own RAM since they're owned by Micron

Also most if not all manufacturers have a lifetime of warranty on their ram. G.Skill, Crucial, Corsair, Corsair, Team,etc all do.

The only time to be picky with ram is if you're also going with aesthetics

Zunja

Hey everyone I'm trying to fix up my pc, it's over 5 years old with some parts 7 years old. It's really starting to show it's age but I'm not sure what to do.

I don't know which parts specifically to upgrade or if I should simply buy a new PC all together. If I could get any help on certain upgrades or if I'd be better to get a new one that'd be great.

My current deal is I wanna run Total War Warhammer and mine lags on everything even the small battles when it gets into the action.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kTdPNN

Thanks very much.

Sargon

I currently have a system with an i7 3770k and was wondering if it would it be worthwhile to upgrade to a 7700k?

I was considering the same upgrade earlier this year and the general consensus seemed to be that it wasn't worth it. A few months later, my 3770k died and the decision was made for me.

Sargon

Hey everyone I'm trying to fix up my pc, it's over 5 years old with some parts 7 years old. It's really starting to show it's age but I'm not sure what to do.

I don't know which parts specifically to upgrade or if I should simply buy a new PC all together. If I could get any help on certain upgrades or if I'd be better to get a new one that'd be great.

My current deal is I wanna run Total War Warhammer and mine lags on everything even the small battles when it gets into the action.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kTdPNN

Thanks very much.
Depending on how much you want to spend, you could get by with that processor and motherboard, but increase the RAM, add an SSD, and swap out for a newer video card. You could go the route of a whole new PC, but I don't think it is absolutely necessary.

Zunja

Depending on how much you want to spend, you could get by with that processor and motherboard, but increase the RAM, add an SSD, and swap out for a newer video card. You could go the route of a whole new PC, but I don't think it is absolutely necessary.

Most of that is pretty cheap but I struggle with the video cards. Are there any good well priced suggestions? My fear is that if I don't upgrade from an i5 I'm just going to need a new one soon but I could just be worrying about nothing. If I could get a new video, ram, ssd and last another good 5 years I'd be happy.

So I want to jump onboard and get a case with a tempered glass side panel but I also want it to be quiet. Any recommendations? I currently have an nzxt h440 with be Quiet! And noctua fans on the aio and my pc is super quiet even when gaming. I want to switch because I don't really get the best airflow since there's sound dampening material everywhere. Hoping I could find a replacement with good airflow that still manages to keep sound in. Thanks.

Sargon

Most of that is pretty cheap but I struggle with the video cards. Are there any good well priced suggestions? My fear is that if I don't upgrade from an i5 I'm just going to need a new one soon but I could just be worrying about nothing. If I could get a new video, ram, ssd and last another good 5 years I'd be happy.
I wouldn't say that a 3570k will last you 5 more years, but 2-3 years certainly isn't out of the question. As for the video card, it doesn't sound like you are looking for absolute top end performance, so a GTX 1060 may strike a nice balance of price/performance.

I currently have a system with an i7 3770k and was wondering if it would it be worthwhile to upgrade to a 7700k? It'd be for gaming, general use, some heavy photoshop, manga studio and adobe animate cc use along with some occasional streaming. I really wanted to jump on the ryzen bandwagon but the more benchmarks I look at the more it seems like that'd be a terrible idea.
I upgraded from a 2600k. Granted I game on a 1440p/165hz monitor I belive my upgrade was totally worth it. I saw fps increases from 10-15 in general and I'm basically set for the next 5 or so years.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I'm amazed at how cool and quiet my new PC is. I also don't really have to OC. Even default settings is overkill. I have multiple browsers, steam, messengers, streams, music playing, etc and system is still not taxed. All this on dual 1440p gsync 144hz monitors.

OkayRene

I need a 3-4 TB internal HDD for my PC. It's not a drive I anticipate needing to read or write to often. So I was thinking 5400RPM would be fine. I will not be using RAID. Even though WD Red's are meant for NAS devices, is that a good product for my use case?

Pooya

I need a 3-4 TB internal HDD for my PC. It's not a drive I anticipate needing to read or write to often. So I was thinking 5400RPM would be fine. I will not be using RAID. Even though WD Red's are meant for NAS devices, is that a good product for my use case?

Reds are good for 24/7 usage. If you're not writing/reading often blues are fine and a bit cheaper.

If you want the best, you should get HGST Deskstar that cost a bit more over Reds, pretty much the best HDD you can buy and far better than Reds. So while Reds are fine I'm not sure it's good value when you consider cheaper and more expensive options.

LegendX48

I was considering the same upgrade earlier this year and the general consensus seemed to be that it wasn't worth it. A few months later, my 3770k died and the decision was made for me.
well, damn. Has there been any noticeable difference?

I upgraded from a 2600k. Granted I game on a 1440p/165hz monitor I belive my upgrade was totally worth it. I saw fps increases from 10-15 in general and I'm basically set for the next 5 or so years.

interesting. You think it'd be a decent jump on a 1080p/60hz setup?

sleepnaught

Any recommendations for a pair of studio monitors for under $500? I've started playing Guitar and want to go the amp modeling route on the PC and need something besides just my headphones. I'd also use them listening to music/gaming too if that makes a difference. I know nothing about studio monitors so any help would be appreciated.

Kyne

So I've just completed my new build and installed Windows.

There's one thing that's concerning me.. The red bios LED is turned on (more specifically Bios_A1) via the motherboard and I have no idea why.

Everything is running well (I think?)

Here's a picture of the light + the diagnostics from the BIOS settings.

5KOvpYK.jpg

bhjyYAH.jpg

nUey7xl.jpg

Kyne

^You need to read the manual:

I read it, and after some more research it's not until later did it make sense.

"These lights are on for a reason and do not turn off." would have been nice to put in the manual.

brb buying black electrical tape.

Is the Asus ROG Swift PG348Q worth it? I've heard it suffers from lightbleed while others say it's the best gaming monitor out now. But with that price I don't feel like taking a gamble, do anyone here have it?

LilJoka

Need to put this on the internet, i hope this helps somebody.

Yesterday my bluetooth keyboard simply stopped parining automatically with my Asus Z170i motherboard. It has a Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4A Bluetooth 4.1 device.
I told windows to forget the device in Settings, then searched for it again - Nothing. Nope cannot even find my bluetooth headset now either.
So i went in circles, removing the drivers, deleting the drivers, installing the drivers from the asus site, rolling back to the MS drivers. Nothing was working! I even tried disabling bluetooth in BIOS and then enabling it.

Finally i found a post that says, turn the PC off, then unplug the Power Cord and let the power drain. Boot up, and now its working. What a headache.

Matty8787

I'm eyeing up the predator x34 and gunna buy it in the next month or two, still a good monitor these days?

Also how much could I look to be selling my crossover 27" 1440p which overclocks easily to 100hz??

Looking at uk sterling :)

Any recommendations for a pair of studio monitors for under $500? I've started playing Guitar and want to go the amp modeling route on the PC and need something besides just my headphones. I'd also use them listening to music/gaming too if that makes a difference. I know nothing about studio monitors so any help would be appreciated.

JBL LSR308 pair. You can't go wrong with these, plus there's a few bundles out there, do you have an audio interface to get the best sound from them, I assume yes if going amp modeling.

laxu

Hey guys, I just have a quick question.

Decided that I wouldn't be switching my case for a while (I wanted to keep my watercooling, so I could've went into a Sugo SG13 but my PSU is 160mm >_>) so I just need to ask another thing to make sure that I don't waste my money.

If I already have an i5 6600k (built my first build in January), I mostly game (but I have a GTX 1060 6GB so I think I should be good) and sometimes multitask (gaming, word documents, photo editing, music software and firefox all on, not always all at the same time) and I'm looking to not have to upgrade for the next 4 years at least, is it worth it to upgrade to a 6700k or a 7700k and sell my old processor? I didn't think about this before (Ryzen releasing sort of threw a wrench in my plans) and originally I was just going to upgrade my GPU/CPU in the next generation or two.

Keep the 6600K. Absolutely no reason to upgrade for several years. Just get a better GPU when your current one can no longer handle it.

Zunja

I wouldn't say that a 3570k will last you 5 more years, but 2-3 years certainly isn't out of the question. As for the video card, it doesn't sound like you are looking for absolute top end performance, so a GTX 1060 may strike a nice balance of price/performance.

The one I was looking at was the Radeon RX 460 windforce. It is about half the cost of the one you linked but a lot weaker. If I'm going to have to replace everything in 2-3 years maybe it'd be better to get a weaker card or just wait it out and get a whole new pc.

laxu

Is the Asus ROG Swift PG348Q worth it? I've heard it suffers from lightbleed while others say it's the best gaming monitor out now. But with that price I don't feel like taking a gamble, do anyone here have it?

IMO ultrawide is not worth it. I love it for work but for gaming feel it's a waste. Adding more space to the sides doesn't add up to much in my experience. I'd rather have a 2560x1440, 144+ Hz display as those also have ULMB while the 100 Hz ultrawides don't. 4K versions should be out next year if you have the hardware to run that.

zaidr

Hey guys,
I recently bought Gears of War 4 for PC during the MS Spring sale, but it turns out my aging computer won't play it because my vid card doesn't have 2GB vram.

Current system:
2500K running at 4.2 ghz
Geforce 570 1.2gb
8gb RAM

What would be the cheapest upgrade (that would actually be an upgrade from the 570, not a shittier card with more vram to meet the minimum specs) that would let me get the game running at playable frames? ?

I'm amazed at how cool and quiet my new PC is. I also don't really have to OC. Even default settings is overkill. I have multiple browsers, steam, messengers, streams, music playing, etc and system is still not taxed. All this on dual 1440p gsync 144hz monitors.

I enjoy overclocking but overclocking kaby lake really is something to do because you can, or if you want the highest benchmark scores. Back in the core 2 duo days it would really give you a boost you could feel in day to day tasks.

zaidr

What's your budget?

970 or 1060 imo

The thing is, I can go the "good for longer term" option, but I wasn't looking to do a major PC upgrade yet. So I'm looking for kinda the cheapest option to get a slight upgrade over my card and be able to play the game. So I was hoping for something around $80-$100 CAD. Don't even know if that's realistic...

Or are you saying doing that isn't really worth it, and I should just go the 970/1060 route?

Top Bottom