• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

Pooya

Hey guys,
I recently bought Gears of War 4 for PC during the MS Spring sale, but it turns out my aging computer won't play it because my vid card doesn't have 2GB vram.

Current system:
2500K running at 4.2 ghz
Geforce 570 1.2gb
8gb RAM

What would be the cheapest upgrade (that would actually be an upgrade from the 570, not a shittier card with more vram to meet the minimum specs) that would let me get the game running at playable frames? ?

Cheapest? 1050TI 4GB. It's something like 2x your 570, maybe more even, I'm not sure, hard to find direct comparisons with old card like that.

RX 470 is quite a bit better than 1050ti for not that much more, it's best budget card I think.

you should aim for RX 480 imo but that's more expensive. I wouldn't get 1050ti, I think it will be short lived.

edit: for 100 CAD? yeah no, save up for now.

Izuna

Banned
The thing is, I can go the "good for longer term" option, but I wasn't looking to do a major PC upgrade yet. So I'm looking for kinda the cheapest option to get a slight upgrade over my card and be able to play the game. So I was hoping for something around $80-$100 CAD. Don't even know if that's realistic...

Or are you saying doing that isn't really worth it, and I should just go the 970/1060 route?

100 CAD, I'm not sure. See what you can find for that price, perhaps second hand. I can't imagine there's many options. Maybe a 3GB 1060 for like 200 on eBay?

Matty8787

The thing is, I can go the "good for longer term" option, but I wasn't looking to do a major PC upgrade yet. So I'm looking for kinda the cheapest option to get a slight upgrade over my card and be able to play the game. So I was hoping for something around $80-$100 CAD. Don't even know if that's realistic...

Or are you saying doing that isn't really worth it, and I should just go the 970/1060 route?

rx480

Tech support question. My wife's PC is getting this error:
L8xzwgh.jpg

She's running a p67 system with an i3, integrated graphics, 2x4GB DDR3, on Windows 10. This error occurs when she's literally doing nothing but browsing Chrome with <8 tabs open and maybe has a small Excel file open in the background. I've verified that both RAM sticks are recognized by the PC and when I look at RAM usage I never see it above a few GBs; no where near maxing out 8 GB. I've double checked that the page file isn't sitting with some insane values and it looked normal. I've ran virus checks and adware checks and haven't found anything.

Any advice? The function of her system seems relatively fine even when the error pops up, but it's driving me mad seeing it with no possible explanation yet. The only symptom of the error is that some of her Chrome tabs will crash, but I if she refreshes them they're instantly recovered without any issue. This PC is about 5 years old and has been flawless except for this wrote which started up a few months ago.

She's actually running those incredible Samsung low-profile DDR sticks from a few years ago if that matters. I always regretted not snagging them for my gaming rig...

SpyGuy239

Brand new PC i7700K Windows 10.

Having a persistent issue I can't fix when I boot up that has never happened on my older PC or Surface Book that are both running Windows 10. I have 3 monitors. Basically only on my main monitor, when ever I open the start menu or any window, my computer, folder etc. the desktop background has this brightening and dimmimg animation that is also there when you minimize these windows. This has never happened with my old PC which was using this same 3 monitors on Windows 10.

I have compared all the settings and they are all the same. I have also unchecked animation when minimizing and maximizing windows setting but it makes no difference. This setting has nothing to do with the dimming and brightening of the desktop background when opening or minimizing windows. I have searched google and still can't find an answer.

Any ideas guys? This is really bugging the hell out of me. I jsut want this animation to go away and be like it was in my old PC.

Thanks.

Weevilone

Tech support question. My wife's PC is getting this error:

She's running a p67 system with an i3, integrated graphics, 2x4GB DDR3, on Windows 10. This error occurs when she's literally doing nothing but browsing Chrome with <8 tabs open and maybe has a small Excel file open in the background. I've verified that both RAM sticks are recognized by the PC and when I look at RAM usage I never see it above a few GBs; no where near maxing out 8 GB. I've double checked that the page file isn't sitting with some insane values and it looked normal. I've ran virus checks and adware checks and haven't found anything.

Any advice? The function of her system seems relatively fine even when the error pops up, but it's driving me mad seeing it with no possible explanation yet. The only symptom of the error is that some of her Chrome tabs will crash, but I if she refreshes them they're instantly recovered without any issue. This PC is about 5 years old and has been flawless except for this wrote which started up a few months ago.

She's actually running those incredible Samsung low-profile DDR sticks from a few years ago if that matters. I always regretted not snagging them for my gaming rig...

An app she's using has a memory leak. There is something on my gaming machine that was doing that and I never did figure it out. If I didn't reboot regularly my 16GB wasn't enough. Basically an app misbehaving.

I'd reboot it regularly and make sure everything is updated.

Hey guys, anything to look out for when buying RAM? I got 8 GB with 1300 Mhz (bought 2010 or 2011) or so at the moment and I'm looking to upgrade to 16 GB and ~3000 Mhz. Can I just pick any brand?

b0bbyJ03

Finally delidded my 7700k and holy shit, I can't believe the results. I haven't overclocked yet cause I just wanted to compare stock temps and I went from hitting mid 70s using prime95 and averaging about 46 C afterward.

Finally delidded my 7700k and holy shit, I can't believe the results. I haven't overclocked yet cause I just wanted to compare stock temps and I went from hitting mid 70s using prime95 and averaging about 46 C afterward.
Been debating doing this. I'm idling at 28-32 with my custom loop. Is it even worth my time to delid? Plan on adding my 1080 ti to the loop once the backplates are available.

Been debating doing this. I'm idling at 28-32 with my custom loop. Is it even worth my time to delid? Plan on adding my 1080 ti to the loop once the backplates are available.

If you're sole concern is idle temperatures, then no. If heat, noise, and frequency headroom are concerns, then yes.

Amazon UK is currently selling the LG 34uc79g-b for £250.
Almost certainly going to get cancelled as I've never seen it lower than £450, plus the company seems a bit sketchy.
But I'm taking a shot for a 34" ultrawide with 120Hz, IPS, and Freesync at a bargain!

Edit: fair warning it's only 1080 not 1440 vertical

VLiberty

earlier today I've built a new pc with new parts I've just received. once done, it would power on with red BIOS light at first, with blue power led on and all the fans rotating, but no signal. removing the video card did the trick, though I don't know why. maybe I should've installed the OS first? before installing the os, though, I've decided to put the video card on the other port. it didn't work. then I went to to boot the system without video card again...and I think a short occurred. no flames or smoke, but the system has never powered on since. no lights, no fans, nothing. the only thing it'd do is flashing the orange light in the ethernet port every once in a while (I don't even know how did I notice it)

troubleshooting brought up something I've never even considered: standoffs. those gold-like fuckers. by googling, I learned about how no standoffs will eventually lead to the system not booting, and shorts...though it's still not completely clear to me how much I have actually fucked up

Bloodember

earlier today I've built a new pc with new parts I've just received. once done, it would power on with red BIOS light at first, with blue power led on and all the fans rotating, but no signal. removing the video card did the trick, though I don't know why. maybe I should've installed the OS first? before installing the os, though, I've decided to put the video card on the other port. it didn't work. then I went to to boot the system without video card again...and I think a short occurred. no flames or smoke, but the system has never powered on since. no lights, no fans, nothing. the only thing it'd do is flashing the orange light in the ethernet port every once in a while (I don't even know how did I notice it)

troubleshooting brought up something I've never even considered: standoffs. those gold-like fuckers. by googling, I learned about how no standoffs will eventually lead to the system not booting, and shorts...though it's still not completely clear to me how much I have actually fucked up
Did you not use stand offs? Those are mandatory, the motherboard needs to sit on them.

b0bbyJ03

Only if u plan to overclock. People worry to much about temps imo. Your idle temps r not a problem at all. I had my 3770k overclocked and I was hitting temps as high as 80 regularly for 4 years. I sold it last week. Lasted the whole time with no problems. I only delidded the 7700k cause I plan to OC it a lot. Wanna hit 5 Ghz.

Kanashimi

Just want to throw a thanks to the OP and this entire thread for all it's info. I put my first rig together (what I did here: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KjRsgL). I'm not a big PC gamer, I mostly just wanted to stream through the PC and quicken my video editing.

My previous computer was about seven years old and was having trouble keeping up with projects that would have 16+ layers and trying to mix down to 1080p.

I love putting stuff together. I'm that strange person who enjoys the part where you put IKEA furniture together. I've replaced parts in the past, but it was really cool to see what's changed (so much shit plugged into power supplies now, wtf).

Anyway, figured I'd just say this thread and resources linked helped me a lot!

LilJoka

It won't effect idle temps. What are the load temps? Start overclocking the CPU and determine if it's a good chip and then decide if it's worth a delid.

robin2

I have some spare parts: a geforce 730 with passive cooling, a geforce 560 with a big custom fan (original broke down), and a conventional 650W PSU.
I was thinking about using them to build a small HTPC to put next to the TV, but after seeing the small HTPC cases I think none of the above fits.
I realized I don't know anything about HTPCs lol... is it possible to mount a videocard at all or is it just mobo (mini-itx) + cpu* ?
Also does a blue-ray player fits inside that?

* I guess it'd have to be a cpu with a small cooler-fan and which integrates a good gpu... advice?

Thanks

VLiberty

Did you not use stand offs? Those are mandatory, the motherboard needs to sit on them.

Nope

I mean, there were 6 of them pre-installed on the case, but the mobo came with 3 more standoffs I haven't put on the case. I guess that's enough to fry it?

also: the fact that the monitor got no signal with the video card on, does that mean that the video card was not good?

edit: by the way, earlier today I've assembled the pc again, this time with the 3 extra sandoffs and it still refused to power on. I guess something is gone forever?

Weevilone

Nope

I mean, there were 6 of them pre-installed on the case, but the mobo came with 3 more standoffs I haven't put on the case. I guess that's enough to fry it?

also: the fact that the monitor got no signal with the video card on, does that mean that the video card was not good?

edit: by the way, earlier today I've assembled the pc again, this time with the 3 extra sandoffs and it still refused to power on. I guess something is gone forever?

Your first post made it sound like you didn't use any standoffs. The important thing now is that you don't have any of the original standoffs in there that don't have a corresponding screw hole in the motherboard. That would potentially short something out.

The other thing is that it's possible your original config allowed the motherboard to sag from the video card weight. It would depend on where they were missing, obviously.

VLiberty

Your first post made it sound like you didn't use any standoffs. The important thing now is that you don't have any of the original standoffs in there that don't have a corresponding screw hole in the motherboard. That would potentially short something out.

The other thing is that it's possible your original config allowed the motherboard to sag from the video card weight. It would depend on where they were missing, obviously.p

there was a missing standoff right in line with the second video card slot, the one I tried right before the short...

edit: I was wrong, it's not in line but it's pretty close:
ASRock-Fatal1ty-Z170-GAMING-K4.jpg

the missing standoff is the second one from the left, upper side. the second video card slot is the one on the left

that might be the reason, as the first video card slot is much closer to a standoff than the second one...

LilJoka

Nope

Take some pictures of the things/cables you've plugged in.

Do the fans spin?

PSU power switch flipped to ON?

Video cable connected to GPU output and not motherboard output?

Short the power switch pins on the motherboard with a screwdriver rather than using the case switch to switch the PC on.

Whales

Banned
hey guys, im having some issues with my pc when trying to play games

basically, everytime I launch and start playing something, after maybe 10-15mins the sceen auddenly goes black. I know the comp didn't crash because I can still hear thr game music in thr background, but the screen doesnt want to work anymore. When I manage to close the game, the screen goes back to normal.

In other cases, the whole computer just crashes and I need to force close it and wait like an hour before launching it up again ( or else it wont work)

Its honestly pissing me off now, and im almost considering just making a new gaming PC because this is really annoying (and my rig is getting old...)

Ill post specs as soon as I manage to boot it back up

Bloodember

hey guys, im having some issues with my pc when trying to play games

basically, everytime I launch and start playing something, after maybe 10-15mins the sceen auddenly goes black. I know the comp didn't crash because I can still hear thr game music in thr background, but the screen doesnt want to work anymore. When I manage to close the game, the screen goes back to normal.

In other cases, the whole computer just crashes and I need to force close it and wait like an hour before launching it up again ( or else it wont work)

Its honestly pissing me off now, and im almost considering just making a new gaming PC because this is really annoying (and my rig is getting old...)

Ill post specs as soon as I manage to boot it back up

I could be either your graphics card or your power supply. It could also be software related. How old is the computer?

Whales

Banned
I could be either your graphics card or your power supply. It could also be software related. How old is the computer?

I believe its about 4 years old

my graphic card is a GTX 760

I never get this problem when just browsing internet or doing anything else, it only happens when playing games, and it doesn't matter which game I play

I tried turning off my antivirus and closing anything not needed before playing and it doesn't fix it :/

Oh yeah, also the clock on the computer goes backwards now.... Every once in a while I need to change the date on it because it goes too far back and I can't access any web sites

Bloodember

I never get this problem when just browsing internet or doing anything else, it only happens when playing games, and it doesn't matter which game I play

I tried turning off my antivirus and closing anything not needed before playing and it doesn't fix it :/

Oh yeah, also the clock on the computer goes backwards now.... Every once in a while I need to change the date on it because it goes too far back and I can't access any web sites
What's the temps of the graphics card when the screen goes black? The clock part is most likely the battery on the motherboard needs changed.

Whales

Banned
What's the temps of the graphics card when the screen goes black? The clock part is most likely the battery on the motherboard needs changed.

what app/software can I use to verify the temp?

newbie question and all, I built this comp with my bro who was the pc expert lol

VLiberty

Take some pictures of the things/cables you've plugged in.

Do the fans spin?

PSU power switch flipped to ON?

Video cable connected to GPU output and not motherboard output?

Short the power switch pins on the motherboard with a screwdriver rather than using the case switch to switch the PC on.

1) I've unmounted and boxed everything back again. but I think my brother took a picture when it was almost done? I'll try to post it in case

2) they did at first. Both when the pc actually booted and showed signal on the monitor, and when I put the video card(with no signal appearing on the screen)
then I put the video card on the second slot. that's the last time they worked: after removing the video card again, the next time I've powered the PC the fans tried to spin but stopped right after. and then nothing at all

3) yes

4)tried with both dvi and hdmi on the mobo, and hdmi on the gpu. no signal with the video card mounted.

5)which pins? are you referring to to the 9 little pins where you put the 8 coloured cables? or the molex port?

All this delidding talk. I've never heard of it. I can hit 4.8Ghz on my 7700K. Is it worth any additional effort to get it to 5Ghz?

This needs to be added to the OP.

Your chip will run cooler at a given speed or faster at a given temperature after delidding. The worth of this effort is subjective.

TheJerit

I ran into a similar experience last year with my newly built pc. Thought it may have been bad drivers at first. Long story short, it ended up being the psu. Swapped it out with a different one and no more black screens/crashes... Yours could totally be due to something else, but that's def something to look into. It's where I would start, especially if you have another psu or can get access to one.

Whales

Banned

ive been playing now, and the max temp I got was 63 C, but it was averaging around 57-58ish degrees celsius. The screen never went to black, but I was playing in windowed in a slightly lower resolution to be able to track the temperature while I was playing. If it was fullscreen Id assume it would go even higher

I ran into a similar experience last year with my newly built pc. Thought it may have been bad drivers at first. Long story short, it ended up being the psu. Swapped it out with a different one and no more black screens/crashes... Yours could totally be due to something else, but that's def something to look into. It's where I would start, especially if you have another psu or can get access to one.

thanks for your inpu, I never would have excepted a power supply to be a cause before entering the thread but I will look into it

https://flic.kr/p/TVsKpH
https://flic.kr/p/SFLYdH
This is after my delid and my temps running Prime95 were awesome. Figured I'd post some pics for those considering the Rockit 88 tool. 100% worth it. Made it super easy and never felt risky.

Congrats man. Yeah, after seeing how thin the chip is without the IHS, I just can't imagine using a vice to delid. A 30 dollar investment for a basically fool proof method is well worth it. How did you end up reattaching the IHS?

ViciousDS

Banned
hey guys, building a new PC here,

I got a solid setup in my cart it seems for the money since I want wireless built into the mobo due to cables not possible, but is Ryzen worth grabbing in the same range as the i5-7600k?

LilJoka

I got a solid setup in my cart it seems for the money since I want wireless built into the mobo due to cables not possible, but is Ryzen worth grabbing in the same range as the i5-7600k?

Share the cart with us.
The premium boards tend to have wifi built in, or ITX boards. You have the option of a PCIE Wifi card too.

Also are you building purely for gaming purposes, or do you expect to use it in other fashions? Streaming counts for that too.

b0bbyJ03

Congrats man. Yeah, after seeing how thin the chip is without the IHS, I just can't imagine using a vice to delid. A 30 dollar investment for a basically fool proof method is well worth it. How did you end up reattaching the IHS?

I used the optional relid tool and used loctite to glue around the corners.

Drakhoran

Neo Member

From the benchmarks I've seen (example) the Ryzen 5 1600X is quite competitive with the i5-7600K for gaming. For applications that make proper use of multi-threading the 1600X's 12 threads will of course beat the 4 threads of the 7600K.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I'm looking to replace both my 2GB 680s. I don't want to spend loads of cash so not looking for anything over the top. Would a 6GB 1060 be ideal? Running with a 3930k at 4.5 GHz.

I'll also be duel booting so it needs to work with macOS. Budget is going to be around £250-300.

PC-GAF does it make sense to invest in a 1080ti with a i54690k? I want to get into some 1440p 144hz monitor gaming at high/ultra high settings. Is that CPU going to cause any bottlenecks? Or should I 'scale' back to a 1070 or 1080?

I'm looking to replace both my 2GB 680s. I don't want to spend loads of cash so not looking for anything over the top. Would a 6GB 1060 be ideal? Running with a 3930k at 4.5 GHz.

I'll also be duel booting so it needs to work with macOS. Budget is going to be around £250-300.

For that budget yes a 1060 would be good. Try to look up prices for 1070s too they might not be too far. The lowest 1070 you can find is still much better than the highest 1060.

PC-GAF does it make sense to invest in a 1080ti with a i54690k? I want to get into some 1440p 144hz monitor gaming at high/ultra high settings. Is that CPU going to cause any bottlenecks? Or should I 'scale' back to a 1070 or 1080?

I have the same cpu and a Titan Xp (so basically a 1080ti). I can play anything at 1440p ultra no problem.

Of course I'm not getting 144fps ultra on every game, but there's nothing it can't handle.

Plus, you can easily overclock to 4.2/4.3 ghz on air, if you still haven't.

EDIT: I'm dumb, I read 4670k instead of 4690k. Even better for you xD

Anyway, here's a benchmark with everything stock. You should get slighlty better results.

I have the same cpu and a Titan Xp (so basically a 1080ti). I can play anything at 1440p ultra no problem.

Of course I'm not getting 144fps ultra on every game, but there's nothing it can't handle.

Plus, you can easily overclock to 4.2/4.3 ghz on air, if you still haven't.

Ok thanks, I'm just wondering if the extra $$$ equates to noticeable fidelity over the other cards I listed. Granted, I'm currently on 750ti( and a 1080p monitor) so anything along these lines is obviously going to be a major upgrade

LilJoka

I used the optional relid tool and used loctite to glue around the corners.

Loctite? Why?? If anything goes wrong under the IHS you'll kill the chip if you wanted to get under it again. I don't see why anyone needs to glue the IHS back unless they are selling or doing an RMA.
If you hold the IHS with your finger whilst closing the CPU socket latch it will not move during install. The liquid metal also has some surface tension which prevents the lid just falling off on its own.

Loctite? Why?? If anything goes wrong under the IHS you'll kill the chip if you wanted to get under it again. I don't see why anyone needs to glue the IHS back unless they are selling or doing an RMA.
If you hold the IHS with your finger whilst closing the CPU socket latch it will not move during install. The liquid metal also has some surface tension which prevents the lid just falling off on its own.

Loctite gel control is actually recommended on the rockit website. I'm pretty sure he can use the tool again if he needs to get under again.

Ok thanks, I'm just wondering if the extra $$$ equates to noticeable fidelity over the other cards I listed. Granted, I'm currently on 750ti( and a 1080p monitor) so anything along these lines is obviously going to be a major upgrade

I misread your cpu, thought it was 4670k instead of 4690k. Still, they're comparable, even though you should get better results, being a slightly newer platform (and a slightly faster gpu, should you buy a 1080ti).

Anyways, it's a great upgrade, even with a new 1440p monitor.

If you're going all-out, consider buying a newer cpu (you can also do it later down the line).

Top Bottom