• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I need to lose 24lbs in 2 months... how do I do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix

Which does not involve me joining a gym or buying equipment or going all out boot camp style. Is it even possible?

Right off the bat, I'm going to change my diet (a lot more fruits/veggies/nuts, less carns/fast food) and walk my dogs about 2 miles most evenings.

What are some simple exercises or habits that might help give me a boost? I know there's no quick fix for losing weight, but do you have some tips that might help me along the way? For instance, do x amount of ______ in the morning, x amount of ______ during lunch. Etc.

Some quick info:

6'2
224lbs (need to hit 200lbs)

Money is at stake. Help me cash in, GAF.

I'm half way there actually and I'm not doing any of the craziness (I've been blogging about it here - http://gregorypierce.tumblr.com/post/17309656639/necessity-is-the-mother-of-invention-in-this-case-a). Here is where I started making my cuts:

1) No soft drinks - switched to Coke Zero exclusively
2) Drop all beer and hard liquor - loaded with calories
3) I cut my calorie intake to about 1700 calories per day
4) I cut my carb count down to 70-100 per day
5) Get an app that will help you track

Your biggest issue will be that most low calorie stuff that you'll find easily is loaded with sodium. So be careful with what you DO eat. Oh, and don't assume that eating a salad when you go out is good for you. Most restaurant salads are the WORST thing on the menu.

If all you're wanting to do is see the #'s go down quickly. You could try the Master Cleanse. It's basically at night you take a herbal laxative tea so when you wake up, you evacuate everything. Then you do a salt water flush (colonic) which further cleans stuff up. Then your calories for the day come from the "lemonade", which is water, lemon juice, maple syrup, and cayenne pepper. So basically you're clearing out all the backed up food, while at the same time, you're not taking in any solid food. All the water you're drinking exits normally or by the work of the herbal laxative.

I've done it, when I was super crazy anorexic. So it's not healthy, and I wouldn't recommend it. But it's an option. 24lbs in 10 days, easy.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Which does not involve me joining a gym or buying equipment or going all out boot camp style. Is it even possible?

Right off the bat, I'm going to change my diet (a lot more fruits/veggies/nuts, less carns/fast food) and walk my dogs about 2 miles most evenings.

What are some simple exercises or habits that might help give me a boost? I know there's no quick fix for losing weight, but do you have some tips that might help me along the way? For instance, do x amount of ______ in the morning, x amount of ______ during lunch. Etc.

Some quick info:

6'2
224lbs (need to hit 200lbs)

Money is at stake. Help me cash in, GAF.

If you're serious:
1. Throw out all of your food.
2. Buy cheap, lean steaks precut for stir fries.
3. Buy either white rice, or potatoes.
4. Buy some plain frozen mixed veggies.
5. Eat about ~400-800 calories of 2-4 per day, with emphasis on #2. Do not season. Do not mix.
6. Supplement with a good multi, sleep ~8 hours per day.
7. Avoid food smell, social activities, and advertising.

What will probably happen:
Day 0-Day 3: You'll crave old flavored foods, but when only permitting yourself to eat your foods you won't be hungry. That's your real biological hunger. The rest is addiction. Ignore it.
Day 3+: Your hunger will subside. Your perception of taste and smell will increase. Energy will increase. You should start dropping about 0.5 pounds per day.

Option 2: Run on a wheel like a hamster, hope your hunger doesn't increase to compensate for increased energyOut.

Some science

One caveat: 200 lbs is approaching your ideal biological weight, depending on your muscle mass. Low food reward diet only works until you hit a healthy weight. If your body thinks it's at it's ideal weight, you will want 2200 calories of bland food.

shira

I'm half way there actually and I'm not doing any of the craziness (I've been blogging about it here - http://gregorypierce.tumblr.com/post/17309656639/necessity-is-the-mother-of-invention-in-this-case-a). Here is where I started making my cuts:

1) No soft drinks - switched to Coke Zero exclusively
2) Drop all beer and hard liquor - loaded with calories
3) I cut my calorie intake to about 1700 calories per day
4) I cut my carb count down to 70-100 per day
5) Get an app that will help you track

Your biggest issue will be that most low calorie stuff that you'll find easily is loaded with sodium. So be careful with what you DO eat. Oh, and don't assume that eating a salad when you go out is good for you. Most restaurant salads are the WORST thing on the menu.

Does not compute.

Fularu

Banned
Hahaha. Well. Uh. Try Insanity.

I never found either P90X or Insanity to be hard.

Sure, they're hard if you don't exercise or do it very casualy, but that's about it. If you're used to do a lot of cardio, both will be prety easy to follow.

Does not compute.

Coke 0 and Pepsi max have no sugar and 0 calories. If you like soft drinks, they're a good way to replace them. Obviously you shouldn't be drinking nothing but them.

Phoenix

Does not compute.

Coke Zero is a "soft drink" in the same way that Mio flavored water is. It has nothing in it except sodium. 70mg per drink from the machine.

As I stated in my blog post, the key is sustainability. No point in losing 24 pounds just to gain it back 6 months later.

tokkun

Thanks for all the great info, Doc.

What he is probably getting at is that there is a commonly held belief that eating too few calories will put your body into a "starvation mode" and that in such a state the body will favor losing muscle rather than losing fat for energy. The idea goes that if you want to lose fat without losing muscle you need to keep to a more moderate caloric deficit, like 500 Calories/day, you need to work out with heavy weights a few times a week, and you need to make sure that you keep your dietary share of protein up.

I can't personally vouch for this information, but like I said it is a pretty widely held belief.

This is why I asked earlier if you were mainly concerned with winning the bet or with improving your health. You will actually lose weight faster by dropping muscle since it has a higher water content and lower energy value than an equivalent weight of fat.

People tend to focus on losing weight because it is an easy number to measure and track, but if you're concerned about improving your health or looking better and are not dangerously obese, your bulk weight is the wrong metric to track. Instead you should be concerned about your body fat percentage.

Eat veggies (Steamed, or raw)
drink water
boiled egg in the morning with some veggies.
have a 4oz piece of chicken in the afternoon with some veggies
Don't eat after 6pm, if you are starving have a peach or an apple.
No soda
No bullshit ass fruit juice.
Some fruit is okay, fresh, no canned shit.
Take a multivitamin.
Run or get on a bike.

teh_pwn

You don't always need x amount of minimum calories per day. Here's a small and old trial in which obese subjects autonomously based on hunger and hunger alone went down to < 400 calories per day until they approached their weight target and then started consuming maintenance. The brilliant thing is that already fit people on the same instructions start eating at maintenance. It's like the brain regulates fat mass or something. Just think if we didn't have to calculate how much to shiver to keep body temperature at 98.6 degrees. Crazy times!

Az987

all good things
The National Institute of Health says a minimum of 1500 calories is needed daily for a man and 1200 for a woman to maintain health.

teh_pwn

The National Institute of Health says a minimum of 1500 calories is needed daily for a man and 1200 for a woman to maintain health.

Based on what scientific studies with variables (conditions of the environment, body fat % of the subjects, type of food eaten). Anyone can toss out a number. Being a health organization doesn't give it any more validity. Science is based on data not merit.

I think the best answer is: "it depends".

Mumei

Sounds doable.

I dropped about 7 - 8 pounds starting from 133 in about two - two and a half weeks and have maintained that since, so at your size and with more time to work with (and actually exercising; I just cut junk a bit), you should probably be able to do it just fine.

shira

Maybe you should troll someone else.

Are you sponsored by coke or something? It's bizzare that you want no soft drinks and no sodium but you have this artificially flavored, caffeine drink - which you just assumes does nothing to your metabolism because it has no calories.

Az987

all good things
Based on what scientific studies with variables (conditions of the environment, body fat % of the subjects, type of food eaten). Anyone can toss out a number. Being a health organization doesn't give it any more validity. Science is based on data not merit.

I think the best answer is: "it depends".

I don't know but it's pretty easy to realize that if you eat under a certain amount of calories you are probably not getting the right amount of nutrients needed to stay healthy.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
Is there a free version of the Insanity workout? I just need a list of all the exercises I need to do.

It's possible, but you're pretty much going to be starving yourself to do it. In the last 8 weeks I've lost 17 pounds, and all I really did was cut back on what I was eating. So far it hasn't been that tough for me, but going for another 7 pounds on top of what I lost is ton. I don't see how you could do it without eating only 1 small meal a day, which isn't the healthiest thing by any means.

teh_pwn

I don't know but it's pretty easy to realize that if you eat under a certain amount of calories you are probably not getting the right amount of nutrients needed to stay healthy.

"sounds about right" isn't right.

You can get plenty of nutrition from 500 calories of offal and leafy greens, and *negative* nutrition from bread, which leeches minerals due to high phytic acid content.

You can also take a vitamin or fortify the food like they did in the study I linked to.

Humans don't need exotic diets to be healthy.

Prologue

Isn't 12 lbs a month pushing it? At most, shouldn't you lose 2 pounds a week(8 a month), and even then, you're burning muscle as well?

Az987

all good things
"sounds about right" isn't right.

You can get plenty of nutrition from 500 calories of offal and leafy greens, and *negative* nutrition from bread, which leeches minerals due to high phytic acid content.

I guess it's possible but if your body is burning more calories than you are consuming the weight you will be losing won't just be fat but a good bit of muscle as well.

Might have been mentioned, but in another topic a guy did a 46 day beer fast and lost 25.5 pounds in the process. I think it is possible, but you will be hungry.

teh_pwn

I guess it's possible but if your body is burning more calories than you are consuming the weight you will be losing won't just be fat but a good bit of muscle as well.

And what determines that? An arbitrary number from some health institute that doesn't seem to have references?

I'm not saying it cannot be a factor. I just don't see how it can be the only factor and always be a factor. I recall a study that had two groups, and the control group had 8 hours of sleep while the other was sleep deprived. Same diet, same exercise. Both lost about the same weight, but the sleep deprived group lost mostly muscle while the control lost mostly fat.

My point is that it depends, and someone should do some proper science to define how it depends. Food palatability seems like a factor as well as sleep.

Soybean

I've been counting calories for 2 months now. It ain't easy. I want to eat thousands of doughnuts of every day.

I'm at 1500 calories/day. I don't want to burn muscle, though (my goal is to reduce body fat %, not just "lose weight"), so I'm lifting and kettlebelling too. I'm trying to keep my protein intake above 120g/day. This isn't the most fun thing to do on a lowish calorie diet.

Getting stronger and losing fat... Makes it easier not to miss those doughnuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom