• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I need to lose 24lbs in 2 months... how do I do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Breaking down muscle takes less energy than fat so when your body is lacking energy it's going to do whatever takes less first.

As I said, in a proper science experiment variables were controlled such that sleep changed. Sleep deprivation or not drastically changed the tissue used to burn.
http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2010/10/big-sleep.html

Edit: Okay, not really 100% lab controlled, but by request. Hard to lock up humans.

It's biology, not AI + physics. If it were AI + physics, steroids wouldn't improve physical performance and Adderall wouldn't be used by celebrities to lose fat.

For me, I dieted very successfully on the "Slow Carb" diet. Check out the book "The 4 Hour Body". It's a mix of paleo and low carb with an emphasis on boosting metabolism.

The trick here is eating within a half hour of waking. Usually for breakfast I had 2 scrambled eggs and a cup of spinach.

The best part about this diet is the ability to eat at Chipotle (Fajita steak bol with black brand instead of rice).

One day a week, your "cheat day" you consume 3000 calories to kick your metabolism.

Worked for me with no excercise. Eventually I added some interval cardio and started the "100 Pushups" plan (There's an app).

Duki

Banned
literally run a shitload and cut out all carbs

it sucks dick tho things with carbs are delicious

or do a christian bale and eat a can of tuna and an apple + running for three hours every day

Az987

all good things
As I said, in a proper science experiment variables were controlled such that sleep changed. Sleep deprivation or not drastically changed the tissue used to burn.
http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2010/10/big-sleep.html

It's biology, not AI + physics. If it were AI + physics, steroids wouldn't improve physical performance and Adderall wouldn't be used by celebrities to lose fat.

Your talking about 2 different studies and acting like since this one did this it will obviously work for this one too. That study says they were instructed to consume 10% less calories. 10% less of what a normal person eats is still like 4 times as much as 500

If you eat less than 500 calories a day your body is going to consume muscle.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Your talking about 2 different studies and acting like since this one did this it will obviously work for this one too. That study says they were instructed to consume 10% less calories. 10% less of what a normal person eats is still like 4 times as much as 500

I'm not acting like they're the same point. I'm using two separate pieces of conflicting data to invalidate what you have been suggesting. That the body always cuts the same regardless of the food, environment, sleep habits, exercise, hormones. And that at some point the body starts mass consuming muscle solely due to caloric restriction regardless of the circumstances.

Hmm...but there isn't anything comparing fat/muscle loss in the reward study. That's a fair point. But I only need the sleep study to show there's more non-intuitive complexity to how the body regulates fat mass. I do think several studies should be funded to characterize it.

If you eat less than 500 calories a day your body is going to consume muscle.

Can you prove such a thing? I mean <1500 calories triggering extreme muscle atrophy is ridiculous, but I suppose it's possible with <500 calories. But what if it's 499 calories of meat? And there's no exercise? The person's morbidly obese and has more than enough fatty acids and ketones to fill in carbs/fat requirements?

Holy fuck this is true! Going to start doing this starting tonight!
Question: How long is it recommended to do this? Also how fast does it work?

Going to start trying this diet: http://womansday.ninemsn.com.au/health/diet/994250/the-hibernation-diet-lose-weight-while-you-sleep

I'm not sure how fast it works, but based on the amazing effects of Honey on the body in a multitude of areas ranging from metabolism to even sexual health my advice would be to do it your whole life. I started myself a few days ago, and I plan to eat 2 tablespoons of honey every night and at least 1 in the morning for as long as I live since it is pretty easy to do and the health benefits are definitely worth it!

Plasmid

Change your diet, go on the paleo diet, you will lose at least 10 pounds of water weight fast (i did the first week), people on the keto diet have reported with exercise losing 20+ pounds in a month.

mrbagdt

Napkin math: 3500 calories per pound of fat. 24 pounds. You need an 84,000 caloric deficit. That's a 1400 calorie deficit a day. No, you're not going to lose that weight without significant diet changes and exercise. "Cutting weight" may or may not work but I don't think most people would get 24 pounds out of fluid weight.

this is pretty much all there is to it. count your calories, calculate what your required intake is to maintain your weight and deduct 1400 from that. achieving that without exercise is probably impossible.

lots of info here if you want to read stuff.

if you want to get some really terrible ideas, go to the weight loss thread.

Nose Master

Eat dramatically less, like, half as much as you normally do. This isn't exactly healthy, but it will do the job. Also sleep less.

big_z

Insanity workout + 45 minute run + 1500-1800 daily calorie limit. You should have no problem dropping that weight doing this.

If you want the easy way then swallow some tape worm eggs like girls in Korea do. Just don't forget to get the abortion medication from your doctor when youre done.

.GqueB.

Banned
I would start off with a cleanse. I've done this twice and aside from the weight loss, I came out of the experience with a new take on how much food I need to eat and I became more mindful of what I ate in general. After putting yourself through that, you dont come out of it wanting to eat crap. Completely changes how you eat.

I lost a combined 24 pounds but this is NOT typical so don't think this will happen to you automatically. Definitely varies.

Which does not involve me joining a gym or buying equipment or going all out boot camp style. Is it even possible?

Right off the bat, I'm going to change my diet (a lot more fruits/veggies/nuts, less carns/fast food) and walk my dogs about 2 miles most evenings.

What are some simple exercises or habits that might help give me a boost? I know there's no quick fix for losing weight, but do you have some tips that might help me along the way? For instance, do x amount of ______ in the morning, x amount of ______ during lunch. Etc.

Some quick info:

6'2
224lbs (need to hit 200lbs)

Money is at stake. Help me cash in, GAF.

Go on the peanut butter diet, and no its not Skippy you can eat all day long, you need to find a peanut butter that is organic and 99.4 % peanut and the rest sea salt.

then you drink a hell of a lot of protien shake.

the idea is to eat this wonderful fat to get thin, and to eat it 5 times a day, to get the body to burn and burn.
works great and I have been on this to get ripped and so has my friends that I learnt this from who are also competing in fitness, one has even won swedens fitness competition.

but this diet is very extreme, so if your used to getting a lot of food, you will notice, but it works great to get ripped fast.

so if your weight is 220 lb, you need to eat 300 grams of peanut butter, split that 300 up to 5 meals during the day.

then you need 180 grams of protien powder, also split this up into 5 and take with the peanut butter.

how you calculate this is 220lb is 100 kg, 100kg x 3: 300kg. then you think in grams, so you need 300 GRAMs of peanut butter per day for your weight.

Protien powder, you weigh 100kg x 1.8= 180, so you need 180 grams of protien per day.

there is room for Broccoli, paprika, tomatoes, cucumber.
You will also need to get these vitamins into your system, Omega 3, multivitamins and mineral tablets.

there is also no need to work out more than 45 minutes on this diet, and if you want to do some cardio you need to do it after the gym, as it has shown that you burn more after the gym than before.

so P90X is basically plyometrics?
lol
I don't need a TV shouting at me to "pump it up!"
though, the excercises might be good. Have been doing these type of exercises since middle school.

Also, I love "juicing" and "cleansing" nuts, god and I thought I reached max face-palm when I read about homeopathy.

Anth0ny

P90x. It's a step below Insanity. I wouldn't call it all out bootcamp level. If you can't do P90x, there's no way in hell you're losing all that weight in that amount of time.

Violet_0

Banned
I have a hard time with <2000 calories a day sometimes, with no exercise, and I'm skinny as fuck. I don't really think the OP knows what he's getting into.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Always wondered... when people say drink more water, is sparkling water ok? Or is the co2 bad for you?

zethren

Banned
Drink a lot of water, and NO SODA. Seriously, it can't be said enough how helpful simply switching to water is. It's also helpful to drink a glass of water before eating a meal, because it fills you up a bit and you are less likely to go back for seconds. Be a bit more conscientious of what you eat, too. If you catch yourself going for that chocolate cake, stop before it's too late.

Oatmeal is a great breakfast food too that can be helpful in changing up your diet, AND it helps prevent you from feeling full. It expands in your stomach and keeps you feeling full for longer, so you won't snack throughout the morning until lunch.

Don't eat a lot of carbs for dinner, and don't eat before going to bed. And if you want to snack, snack on healthy things like fruit.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Calculate your daily allowance and start tracking what you eat.
http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/
Just input the necessary information and it will calculate for you how much you need to do to lose weight or gain weight. Make sure you don't go over your limit. And aim for a 40% protein 40% Fat and 20% carbs ratio ( make sure you are hard on your carbs limit it to as much as you possibly can).
The plan is to put you on a calorie deficit, this means that you will be undeniably losing weight. But not to kill your body.

And here's the most important part..start limiting your carbs. Do not go above approx. 50g of carbs a day. This sounds easy. But this is the hardest part of your diet. You can live on 500 cals a day and not feel anything. But the moment you introduce a carb limit your body will go into a withdrawal stage that is separates the men from the boys. Despite the fact that you eat a lot of cals, the simple exclusion of carbs brings you on the verge of insanity.

Get enough fiber. You will be eating so much protein that unless you start adding fiber to your diet, you will be having a hard time on the toilet and snap all your fucking shit up.
Now, fiber is found in fruits ( apples, mainly the skin) and vegetables. However they also come in carbs. Measure your carbs. Apples contain a lot of sugar so you'd want to avoid that in the initial phase. My solution to this is a simple fibre supplement.

Drink water.
Drink as much water as you possibly can. Gallons if need be. Water will help your body burn the fat and act as a carrier for the body to metabolize the energy stored in your body in the form of fat cells. Oh and it will also make sure you won't be shitting blood because of lack of fibre, if it hasn't sunk in... GET YOURSELF FIBRE. This shit is serious.

DO NOT excercise.
This kind of diet is hard on your body. You don't want to excercise while doing this. If you combine this with intense exercise, you will shock your body so much that it will go into starvation mode and actually keep adding fat while burning muscle. And you'll find out for yourself after the first few days. Getting through your day is a hard thing to do already, exercise is not an option.

Snack:
I recommend dark chocolate ( food of the gods) or some diet coke that contains zero carbs and zero sugar and virtually zero cals.

Good luck.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Beachbody Insanity or P90X? Which is better?
Really depends on what you're looking for.

Insanity is excellent for cardiovascular fitness and can definitely lean you out. I personally went from a 36 to a 30 doing Insanity. As for P90X it is great for full body fitness.
so P90X is basically plyometrics?
lol
I don't need a TV shouting at me to "pump it up!"
P90X is way more than just Plyo.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I lost 35lbs in 2 months so I'll go with this as well. It was really intense <25g a day though.

I'm at 90 lbs lost during a span of 9 (3x3) months worth of keto at the same carb level. The first week going from "regular" diet to lowcarb is absolutely grueling but now when I'm maybe a month or so into this last cycle the mere thought of sugar and/or carbs is revolting.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I just lost 20lbs in 2 months.

I cut back on fast food and booze and started a job that involves carrying around 30-40lbs boxes for 8 hours a day.

Water is good, unless you are taking a medication or suffer from a condition that makes you retain water( like diabetes or heart conditions). I'm just sayin'

dab0ne

I lost 15 pounds in 4 days by doing a juice fast. Get a juicer and some good recipes off the internet and don't eat anything for every meal except these juices. It's difficult because there is this little voice in your head telling you to eat but stay strong and you can do it. I drank a juice every time I was hungry and chased it with an equal amount of water. Make sure you aren't only drinking fruit juices though. It would arguably be more effective with just veggies but that's very hard to do. You should also consider adding benafiber or taking fiber vitamins because most of a vegetable's fiber is in the peel and you wont be getting hardly any of that. Since then I've lost another 10 pounds by running and eating more healthy foods. I weighed 225 lbs and I'm now down to 200 lbs ( pretty similar to you except I'm only 5'9 so I'm actually still quite a bit overweight). I did this almost for the same reason as you also. My wife told me if I lost 25lbs by the time the Vita came out I could get one so I lost the weight. Good luck.

um, juicing is bad k? like losing essential fiber and the like.
You can use the same diet with only essential fibers and without taking supplements.

The key here, is to not only lose the pounds for the bet but to keep on being healthy to really show them.

ShinNL

Which does not involve me joining a gym or buying equipment or going all out boot camp style. Is it even possible?

Right off the bat, I'm going to change my diet (a lot more fruits/veggies/nuts, less carns/fast food) and walk my dogs about 2 miles most evenings.

What are some simple exercises or habits that might help give me a boost? I know there's no quick fix for losing weight, but do you have some tips that might help me along the way? For instance, do x amount of ______ in the morning, x amount of ______ during lunch. Etc.

Some quick info:

6'2
224lbs (need to hit 200lbs)

Money is at stake. Help me cash in, GAF.
Want to lose 24lbs in a short time with a resolution like that? Yeah, you're gonna lose that bet.

Diet counts for like 90%, even so your resolution is not a good one. It seems you're not informed enough. There's plenty of suggestions in the thread already, but simply eating more fruits and less fast food is a very simplistic way of thinking, probably just random tips you picked up on life without really researching how food and body works.

There are basically two ways:

You either go no carb or
You either go sub 500 calories, pure organic food.

I think the latter is harder, but whatever you like.

Please don't go "less fast food". I assume that you mean you'll eat just less than what you do now. No, you need to outright ban fast food from your diet. Also, random fruits and nuts won't work if that's not in your plan. In a no carb plan, you can't eat almost any fruit.

Instead of walking your dogs, start jogging a little bit. The more you do it, the easier it gets and after a few days you'll find yourself running and competing with your dogs. This is the reason I addressed your resolution: most people will set a good bar for themselves, like running every day, and find themselves not being able to run that much at first. You however, set your bar to just mere walking (that's your only exercise!). Of course there's no way you'll run then. Why do you set your bar so low and expect great results?

I'm glad you're taking all the advice in this thread, there are some great posts here. But my post is directly addressing your resolution. You should set the bar high in your mind so you force yourself to do things. Initially your body will try to fight against all the changes, so it's not easy, that's when you fall back on your resolution.

Good luck!

Natural

I need to lose 2.8kg/6lbs in the space of 8/9 days. Can I do it?? I go gym 3/4 times a week, with boxing 2/3 a week, I'm low carbing and hitting like 1000-1400 calories a day. I'm not drinking alot of water (2 litres or whatever is recommended, I'm more on like a litre) so is it possible that the last few pounds is water weight? I just don't think time is on my side to drop the last few lbs..

I see a lot of people avoid soda on their diet. Does it include duet sodas? Why?
Usually, because diet sodas aren't sufficient enough to quiet those sugary cravings. So, the psychological discipline of being on a no-soda diet are either thrown out or you will still have those cravings. Personally, it's like electronic cigarettes, it's good to step down but bad in the long run. I drink either water, tea or coffee with a tad bit of milk/cream, when of course I'm not drinking beer or wine. Hypocrite? Maybe, though my goals are like, more long-term.

ShinNL

Usually, because diet sodas aren't sufficient enough to quiet those sugary cravings. So, the psychological discipline of being on a no-soda diet are either thrown out or you will still have those cravings. Personally, it's like electronic cigarettes, it's good to step down but bad in the long run. I drink either water, tea or coffee with a tad bit of milk/cream, when of course I'm not drinking beer or wine. Hypocrite? Maybe, though my goals are like, more long-term.
I drink water because it's much cheaper, but I don't really ban myself from drinking diet soda, never seen really good arguments against it either.

But I'm more curious about your e-cig comment. Why are they bad? Because I use those too.

Killer

Banned

So its not gonna affect my diet if i did drink diet soda? good because its kinda hard for me to quit it altogether.

I drink water because it's much cheaper, but I don't really ban myself from drinking diet soda, never seen really good arguments against it either.

But I'm more curious about your e-cig comment. Why are they bad? Because I use those too.
They are not bad in the normal sense, but in the trying to break-that-habit sense. Like one of my best friends used e-cigs to cut down and while it was successful, it wasn't until a health scare that really made him think twice.

Same with diet-sodas, while it may be good when going to fast-food (combo menus) it isn't as good to break the habit. You need to ween down. Which is what I should do with beer and wine. Damn. But seriously, the last Dr. Pepper bottle(20OZ.) lasted me for like three days...but don't take my word for it. I'm not an expert.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom