• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I need to play the Shenmue games - what are my options?

I just played Grim Fandango and Resident Evil REmake not long ago, so I am all practiced up for tank controls :D

Smh at these game prices though, right now the cheapest I can find a copy of Shenmue 1 (PAL) shipped to me in Canada is like $138 CDN. There's a couple up for bid that are pretty low though, so I might wait a couple days and try and scoop em at the last minute

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Make sure you get this handy "auto-follow" attachment for following NPCs OP:

Xg4FKus.jpg

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Regarding remastered versions of Shenmue I and II, there are apparently some legal issues with some software components used in the game's engine.

CHt5aFEWoAEWNBx.jpg:large

Nevertheless, I am pretty sure that Sega will figure that out and release the games on current platforms. The media attention Shenmue has gotten in the last days warrants the legal hassles. Can't be that hard for a lawyer to figure out the licences situation of these software components.

Its not just the tank controls, its very different than any other game I've played. Its kind of hard to describe with the right trigger plus analog stick to look at things, then "A" button to interact. But again, once you have it down its not a big deal.

Yudoken

PC emulation, better than on Dreamcast and Xbox.
There is an dedicated emulator just for Shenmue with bugfixes for the games.
Edit: Also there is a modded version out there with jap voice and english sub.
At least for Shenmue 1.
I couldn't find a version of two with english subs for pc.
Have fun!

I don't know if it was just my copy/360 but II would have a game crashing bug when you enter a mall looking for someone. It was the ONLY time it would crash but if you hadn't saved then prepare to do things again. Luckily, it's not TOO far in to the game.

Dreamcast for Shenmue. Xbox for Shenmue II.
That's what I'd personally recommend myself.

But I remember playing this in 2000 (I think?) and the dates in the game were pretty much coinciding with real life dates. When Christmas came along, it was like a week before Christmas in real life, but the streets became all decorated and the snowfall was incredible. Having moved from N.Y. to California a couple years earlier, it was almost like being home again.
Shenmue 1 was truly a memorable game for me.

Shenmue isn't a cinematic open world action adventure
Shenmue is a Life simulator

Unlike most games that take you from check point to check point, this game puts you in a world as if you were in a virtual world.

It's putting you in the shoes of a boy seeking revenge, but having no idea what to do.

YOU must uncover clues and YOU must solve the challenges you will face.
The game won't do it for you.

Because life, has its slow and fast moments, so too does Shenmue. Shenmue isn't just a game, it's an experience. And when you just allow yourself to be in the world, and not worry about what you need to do, but what you can do, the game truly shines.

benzy

Too late. The money boat has sailed :(

money_boat.jpg

You can always still rip the game to PC so you get to experience better graphics and controls though. It's hard going back to the old controls after having mapped the left stick to walking/running and the right stick to look around. Default controls require you to run with d-pad and look around with left thumbstick, so in order to look around you have to go to a complete stop. And you'll be looking around a lot as that's the way to explore and find stores for quest missions.

It really was the first living, breathing world I can remember. These were the days before GTA 3 and its ilk moved things even further.

But Shenmue was the first game I remember where people walked around town, living their lives, going in and out of their homes, etc. It was truly a groundbreaking game.

falconhoof

Neo Member
Got the game running on DEMUL emulator (I own a Dreamcast and multiple copies of the games, but I can't get my DC working), it looks amazing when you up the resolution and apply some graphic filters.

Not my setup, but an example of how good it can look on DEMUL
http://abload.de/img/49ri12.jpg

However my excitement came crashing down as I reached the first conversations about the black car. Everyone you speak to on the streets skips through their conversation. Every dialogue line fires at once and you hear a jumbled mess of audio. I was right back in there too after the awesome intro.

Erevador

I was pissed a friend I got to start the second one (not finish), just watched a video recap of the first. Its not the way to experience it at all, given how much is predicated on the immersive quality and home feel of the first.
Yes, Shenmue is not the kind of game where that gives you any sense of what's fun about it. The joy of the game is largely in being able to spend your time the way that you want to. If you want to waste hours in Tomato Mart trying to win cassettes, the game allows you to do that.

tbb033

Banned
I think that's the easiest/cheapest solution OP: US/Canadian Dreamcast + 3rd party VGA-box + VGA to DVI/HDMI converter + US Version of SM1 + EU SM2 + bootdisc

Make sure you're TV accepts 480p and you might have to make the bootdisc youreself (just google it)

You can use a VGA->DVI->HDMI converter, but you'll need to run external speakers to the dreamcast.

Yeah, the dreamcast only offers left and right stereo. The VGA converter has two RCA jacks.

You can't use a simple adapter to convert VGA to HDMI with DVI as a go between. VGA is easily converted to DVI but analog DVI only. Meanwhile HDMI is only easily converted to with digital DVI. You need some sort of active analog to digital converter in there to get from VGA to HDMI, so you might as well just get one that goes from VGA to HDMI directly and not mess with any DVI stuff.

Google should be able to turn some up (apparently even Walmart sells a bunch of different models) but I have no idea which ones might be good or bad. You'll probably be adding lag to the games, but I don't know how bad or how specifically it might affect Shenmue games.

Can we not buy Shenmue on xbox 360 no more??? What happened to the digital original xbox games??? I can't even find them no more in the market.

The game prices for this just keeping going up, some of the items I were watching on ebay just ended and good lord

LOOK AT THIS SHIT

FQM2w9e.png

And there's $30-40 shipping on top of that

HIR0

Relaying my question from the other thread.

Just a question.
If I have an Australian Dreamcast, will I be able to play Dreamcast games from the UK?
I'm assuming they're both PAL regions so they should be okay.
I would like to purchase a Dreamcast to play Shenmue 1 and 2.

Eusis

I'm actually kind of stupefied that SEGA didn't get the remasters out to build up hype already unless there's a plan to get them out further into the Kickstarter to reignite it, or there's complications due to the PS4 exclusive nature of Shenmue III. Would be a good way to spur more money if they include a tier where you can get the remasters very, VERY soon (it'd be the kind of thing to make me want to pledge more than $5 to keep an eye on it/support the sheer absurdity of it anyway.)

I don't think Shenmue 2 was ever on the XBL marketplace anyway. The first game was never on Xbox at all.

Man I really remember it being there. Not just shenmue II, but I mean all the original xbox games arent there anymore. I remember talking to a friend about buying jade empire for xbox 360, and I have a vague memory of looking at it on the marketplace years ago. Thats what made me talk to her about it, but I ended up not buying it though.

Well I did it. Dropped $130 including shipping for Shenmue 1. Gonna wait a while before I try and track down a copy of number 2, at least until I finish this one

That's about $300 total for the dreamcast, VGA adapter, and game. I have no regrets :p

They're shipping from overseas so sadly my shipping ETA doesn't have them arriving until late July. I'll probably post here again once they show up and maybe make a LTTP thread once I start (even though I'm sure people will complaint because of all the shenmue threads lately but whatever, haters gonna hate)

master15

Well I did it. Dropped $130 including shipping for Shenmue 1. Gonna wait a while before I try and track down a copy of number 2, at least until I finish this one

That's about $300 total for the dreamcast, VGA adapter, and game. I have no regrets :p

They're shipping from overseas so sadly my shipping ETA doesn't have them arriving until late July. I'll probably post here again once they show up and maybe make a LTTP thread once I start (even though I'm sure people will complaint because of all the shenmue threads lately but whatever, haters gonna hate)

Congratulations. My Dreamcast with both games are thousands of miles away from where I currently am so I am vicariously living the games through first time players experience.

Please do create a thread once your Dreamcast arrives.

Theonik

Exciting times! Sorta!

My Dreamcast arrived. I'm so excited I didn't even unbox it yet, needed to post here first

Sadly I have no idea when Shenmue or my VGA adapter will arrive :( international tracking is a bitch sometimes

EDIT: Whelp. They sent me an NTSC Dreamcast despite the fact the listing specified PAL. I mean, I didn't misread this, did I?
Picture on the listing is of an NTSC DC. Notice the red swirl.

How does the original emulate? Is it a pretty breezy experience in nullDC or Demul from beginning to end? I'd play it on DC but some friends are asking about it now.

Shadows don't render correctly. It's annoying and not worth it unless you're desperate as fuck.

Krejlooc

Banned
Well damn.

Anyways, the good news is the person is refunding me once I mail it back.

Back news is I am out like $40 for return shipping and now still have to track down an actual PAL system.

Why don't the gaming gods want me to play Shenmue!?

it would honestly be cheaper for you to buy a VGA adapter and output to your TV that way, than sending it back. If you do that, you'll completely bypass the PAL/NTSC issue. You can use a pro action replay or DC-X to make your Dreamcast boot games from any region.

it would honestly be cheaper for you to buy a VGA adapter and output to your TV that way, than sending it back. If you do that, you'll completely bypass the PAL/NTSC issue. You can use a pro action replay or DC-X to make your Dreamcast boot games from any region.

I already bought the VGA adapter.

The problem is that the game I paid $140 for is PAL, this system won't read that disc, correct?

Edit: reread your post. Can you elaborate on pro action replay and DCX? I was going to ship this back tomorrow but will hold off if it's going to work

Krejlooc

Banned
I already bought the VGA adapter.

The problem is that the game I paid $140 for is PAL, this system won't read that disc, correct?

Edit: reread your post. Can you elaborate on pro action replay and DCX? I was going to ship this back tomorrow but will hold off if it's going to work

There are several bootloader discs you can buy or burn that'll let you freely change the region of your dreamcast. The Utopia Boot CD was the original, but it doesn't work with a VGA adapter. Better options are the Pro Action Replay (Gameshark Lite in the US) but I've found it'll freeze on certain games.

The only universal 100% option I've found is DC-X, which works with both the VGA adapter and virtually every game I've used it on. You just pop the disc into your dreamcast, turn it on, then when the graphic loads, open the disc and put in the game you want to play.

There are several bootloader discs you can buy or burn that'll let you freely change the region of your dreamcast. The Utopia Boot CD was the original, but it doesn't work with a VGA adapter. Better options are the Pro Action Replay (Gameshark Lite in the US) but I've found it'll freeze on certain games.

The only universal 100% option I've found is DC-X, which works with both the VGA adapter and virtually every game I've used it on. You just pop the disc into your dreamcast, turn it on, then when the graphic loads, open the disc and put in the game you want to play.

Thanks. I'll take your word for it and hang on to the system.

Krejlooc

Banned
Thanks. I'll take your word for it and hang on to the system.

Be aware that there are some games that flat out don't work with the VGA adapter. They are pretty uncommon, however. In all, including specific fixes you can apply to make certain games VGA compatible (DC-X includes all these), there are about 20 or so games you can't play with a VGA adapter.

Be aware that there are some games that flat out don't work with the VGA adapter. They are pretty uncommon, however. In all, including specific fixes you can apply to make certain games VGA compatible (DC-X includes all these), there are about 20 or so games you can't play with a VGA adapter.

Shenmue works though?

Krejlooc

Banned
Shenmue works though?

Definitely, I can't even find a list of the 20 or so non-compatible games online. They're all uncommon stuff. Every major dreamcast game works.

Keep in mind I'm in the US and I play the european copy of Shenmue II on my dreamcast, so I'm telling you my exact setup.

Top Bottom