• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I ordered my first laptop, opinions please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
HP eh? That was my first laptop.

All I can tell you is...

tumblr_m7lcjrq9Xe1rt2h44o1_500.jpg

My father bought me an HP laptop last year as a reward for helping him get the house together. Had the fucking thing in the house two days before some weird overheating problem (read: The fans would not activate, so the laptop kept interpreting this as a heat problem) kept making it shut down after being on for 15 seconds.

HP: Not even once

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I had a $270 Toshiba Satellite (Best Buy sale) that was awful and my mom has a more expensive one now that is awful. I went through two before getting one without dead pixels and my mom's had the hard drive die as well as the replacement. I can't vouch for the model you posted. That said I would never recommend their products. Asus has always done good by me and gets recommended a lot on GAF for low to mid-tier laptops. And that Lenovo Y500 seems to be the current sweet spot for price:performance when it comes to medium to high gaming.

I game on the Y500 with dual 750s exclusively. Thing is a beast.

I have a theory I'm working up where OP didn't buy the laptop, but still made this thread as though he did.

If he asked for laptop recommendations, it would have been a chorus of "lol, google." But now, he is getting some fresh fucking info.

Well played.

Return it, HP laptops are junk and the screen is terrible. Now I won't tell you to buy a Mac, but seriously spend a little more and get a laptop with a better screen and an SSD. You'll get more life out of it.

madmook

I just bought the 17" Intel version of what OP got (minus the touchscreen) and am typing on it now. It is my first HP laptop. Didn't know about all these bad feels for HP, lol. Anyways, stuck a Samsung 840 Pro SSD in there and it goes pretty fast.

The OS is beautiful and is great for devs (despite what the mouthbreathers say online) thanks to the UNIX connection. But obviously you have to install Windows for games and that's an extra expense. Also, while the hardware is beautiful they run skin-searingly hot and that anodized aluminum finish gets the most horrendous looking damage. All that and you're paying a few hundred extra.

Very nice computers -- I'm contemplating getting an Air -- but spending less on a somewhat uglier Thinkpad gets you far greater durability. I spent years treating my MacBooks like I'm carrying around eggshells, and I'm not sure if its worth doing that again.

I've got a 15" Macbook Pro (2010) and besides one scratch on the bottom from something that was on my table it looks just like the day I got it. I don't beat it up but I'm not particularly careful with it. I've had a few windows laptops in my time and none of them have held up as well.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
IDK OP, my HP laptop is 3 1/2 years old now, only problem I've had is replacing the hard drive once.

I have gone through two batteries, but that's because I have the bad habit of leaving it plugged in after fully charging...

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Not sure what's so bad about HP laptops. Had one for 6 years (though I guess I did have to replace the fan) and got a new one last year which is running great now. Though I guess I always opt for the best I can get.

My only real complaint is the way it dissipates heat, they tend to just have one vent and the keyboard can get pretty hot.

bionic77

The OS is beautiful and is great for devs (despite what the mouthbreathers say online) thanks to the UNIX connection. But obviously you have to install Windows for games and that's an extra expense. Also, while the hardware is beautiful they run skin-searingly hot and that anodized aluminum finish gets the most horrendous looking damage. All that and you're paying a few hundred extra.

Very nice computers -- I'm contemplating getting an Air -- but spending less on a somewhat uglier Thinkpad gets you far greater durability. I spent years treating my MacBooks like I'm carrying around eggshells, and I'm not sure if its worth doing that again.
What makes you think MacBooks are less durable? I thought one if the biggest advantages of the unibody aluminum design was durability? They certainly seem to flex less than any laptop I have used.

alejob

Because we've owned one of their products.

Well we have over 800 HP computers at work and they seem OK. Maybe the business grade is a lot better than their consumer grade products.

I've also worked on an Envy similar to what the OP has and I thought it was a nice machine. I see a lot off people trashing HP and not a whole lot of reasons why.

I did not like some of their Pavilion line though.

FinKL

On the bright side, if someone invents a time machine you can always take it back to the 80's where HP was good and where that particular laptop might be better than anything else on the market.

I'm sorry this is soo off topic but your Name/Avatar is so hilarious and I don't know why.

The new Envy's look good, but like others have said, HP's die for whatever reason, friend's had a overheating GPU.

I personally bought a cheap HP on black friday and it's been ok (knocks on wood)

NotBacon

Well at least it's not a mac....

Should be usable, I've heard alright things about the Envy line.

Not so sure about the deal though, I got an Asus Zenbook Prime for $520...

Either way, if it won't really be a gaming machine(or will, a shift is happening), I highly suggest linux. Super modern, no need for AV, freedom, etc.

Absinthian

Neo Member
Oh god... What did you do? Why did you by an HP? Do you actually need a laptop, or is it just for convenience? I hope you have money to buy a new battery when your laptop battery dies in 7-12 months. Laptops are hot garbage. Stay away. Far away.

I fall into the Mac camp when it comes to laptops, macbooks are goddamn nice machines. So expensive though. If I was going to get a gaming laptop I'd get an Asus or Acer, if I wanted something for work/school I would get a macbook.

jerry113

Banned
Cost/Performance ratios for laptops are obscene compared to desktops. Not to mention the complete loss in ergonomics and heat/cooling.

cdkee

Banned
Brands you want: Lenovo, Asus, Samsung, Sony

Brands you don't want: Dell, HP

I had an HP laptop that had severe overheating problems, so much so that it got recalled. HPs solution was to modify the bios so that the fan was running at 100%, all the time. It still fried, the mobo simply burnt to a crisp and I lost a lot of money. This was a problem with hundreds of thousands who had that same model. Never again.

If you want a laptop that will work forever buy a Lenovo Thinkpad.

jourdy

Brands you want: Lenovo, Asus, Samsung, Sony

Brands you don't want: Dell, HP

If you want a laptop that will work forever buy a Lenovo Thinkpad.

Just curious. Why not Dell?

I think electronics in general are not as sturdy as they used to be in the past.
Here are my electronics purchases from the past 3 years alone that have been faulty:

Acer laptop (HDD)
Alienware m14x (keyboard lights)
HP mini laptop (Screen problem)
MSI laptop (HDD)
Samsung Note 2 (Mainboard problem)
Sony Xperia Z (Mainboard problem)
iPod Touch (Speaker problem)
Ecotech LED lights for my aquarium (busted cooling system)
Sony NEX 6 camera (faulty dial button)

That's probably most, if not all the electronics I bought.

I may be the unluckiest man on Earth when it comes to electronics, but I really think the build quality is just not like the electronics of the 90s. My nokia phones were invincible!

strata8

I may be the unluckiest man on Earth when it comes to electronics, but I really think the build quality is just not like the electronics of the 90s. My nokia phones were invincible!

Either that or I'm the luckiest man on Earth when it comes to electronics.

Here's what I've bought in the last 3 years:
- Nexus 7 (tablet)
- Samsung Omnia 7 (phone)
- Olympus XZ-1 (camera)
- Sony RX100 (camera)
- HP Envy 14 (laptop)
- HP DM1 (laptop)
- Samsung plasma TV
- Sony LCD TV
- Xbox 360 S

And here's a list of things that have been faulty:
- Nexus 7

if its not a mac

its the wrong choice

I used to have a macbook pro. Now I have an Asus G75. Major upgrade.

OP: Don't beat yourself up about it. I've made similar mistakes back when I didn't really know computers either. Just try to exchange it if you can. If not, hey, you've got a better system than your old one!

So I've pretty much gave up PC gaming, aside from still playing Civ games or Sim I've decided to go to consoles and abandon my desktop/desk/chair etc..and finally break down and buy a laptop.
Yeah, I know, I'm a little late to the party. Seems everyone has or has had one yet I've always been a desktop only guy.

I'm no spec expert, even with desktops I would just spend a bunch thinking "money = quality" and as long as they played the newest PC game on high settings I was happy.

So if ya guys could, give me an opinion on my first laptop purchase, Here it is, cost meabout $750 which isnt to bad right?
I wouldn't you ask first and then buy?

Yeah, I should have asked ya guys first. ..but I impulsed bought it.

I just need a laptop to lay on the coffee table to browse the web and such so I thought it be fine. My son still has his desk top which isn't to bad (4750 card, big ram etc..) Web-TV, PS3 Netflix/Hulu box, and I have tablets laying around the house.

I just wanted to ditch the desk/chair office set up and have a semi-desk top laptop I can browse, edit/upload pics, watch vids etc..

As long as it last 1-2 years, then I just buy another one I guess.

You bought a nearly 16" laptop to browse the web on the couch with a 5400 rpm hard drive. With a kinda shitty resolution for that size screen and an AMD chip.

Going to be heavy and since it's a HP you'll burn your nuts off to boot.

Damn son you done fucked up.

braves01

Banned
My 2007 macbook pro finally bit the dust a few days ago (screen casing finally snapped from the stress of opening and closing), so I'm now in the market for a laptop priced $750-$1000. It's primarily for word processing and internet browsing, so those need to be butter smooth of course even on graphic heavy sites, but I'd also like to at least be able to play Skyrim with hi res textures and some recent games at high settings.

Is the Lenovo Y500 still best for this price range, and will it be able to handle any next gen games?

Sorry, I don't know much about PC gaming so just thought I'd bump this thread instead of making a new one since I'm kind of in the same situation as OP.

I may need a work laptop soon myself but the only trackpad surface I can actually use comfortably are the ones on Macbooks. Does anyone know if there are non-Apple laptops that have a similar trackpad?

I just want to avoid having to pay out close to 1k for a secondary device.

Marc13

I have an HP and it's been going strong for 7 years! I've dropped it three times onto hard surfaces and still have no problems.

The only thing I ever had to do to the laptop was change one stick of RAM and buy a new battery.

I think electronics in general are not as sturdy as they used to be in the past.
Here are my electronics purchases from the past 3 years alone that have been faulty:

Acer laptop (HDD)
Alienware m14x (keyboard lights)
HP mini laptop (Screen problem)
MSI laptop (HDD)
Samsung Note 2 (Mainboard problem)
Sony Xperia Z (Mainboard problem)
iPod Touch (Speaker problem)
Ecotech LED lights for my aquarium (busted cooling system)
Sony NEX 6 camera (faulty dial button)

That's probably most, if not all the electronics I bought.

either that or you're clumsy as hell.

wtf..that's depressing man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom