• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I ordered my first laptop, opinions please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomster

I've got a 4 year old hp desktop from Costco that still runs like a champ and took a couple upgrades (psu and graphics) without trouble. My office hands out elite books and they have been similarly hardy. Never saw the big deal.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Civ 5 is very CPU heavy. It's going to play like shit on a laptop.

When I played Civ5 on my OCed 3770K @ 4.6 GHz, I still almost always disabled city states because they made the game too damn slow.

Samyy

Civ 5 is very CPU heavy. It's going to play like shit on a laptop.

When I played Civ5 on my OCed 3770K @ 4.6 GHz, I still almost always disabled city states because they made the game too damn slow.

My 2011 mac runs Civ 5 on low-medium perfectly fine, maybe there is something wrong with your computer

Graphics aren't really an issue for me atleast when im playing Civ

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
My 2011 mac runs Civ 5 on low-medium perfectly fine, maybe there is something wrong with your computer

Graphics aren't really an issue for me atleast when im playing Civ

No, there is nothing wrong with my PCs. Each PC does the same thing. The game is slow as shit to end turns with there's a lot of city states. When there's no city states, it takes < 0.1 seconds and flies.

I'm not talking about graphics. I'm talking about speed. I can run at max at 1080p with MSAAx8 at 60+ fps OR run at 640x480 at min settings, but it still takes 5 seconds to end turns on a huge map with city states.

General Rule of Laptops,

Only buy thinkpads.

Unless you have some strange affinity for subpar OS.

Your avatar complements your posts very well, ha.

Allforce

I'm trying to find a laptop for my wife right now and it's maddening. Never shopped for computers before. I really don't think she needs something over 500 bucks but I have no idea what brands are good.

This would be used for internet, watching movies, Office (they still put on Office on computers right or do you have to buy this?), and no gaming. If I can get something that DOES play games then that's a bonus but not mandatory. Everything I can find just has an Intel Graphics Chip in it which I've always heard doesn't let you play anything besides like Minesweeper.

Any help?

DarkFlow

Banned
Ugh, when will people learn to make these threads before buying a product?

And man, would love to see the specs on your gaming PC if you abandoned it for that. Paid way too much if all you intend to do is to surf the web or type a few papers.

Because all he would get is "Buy a Macbook, Macbook Air" repeated over and over.

Mobius 1

Because all he would get is "Buy a Macbook, Macbook Air" repeated over and over.
Still doesn't answer why someone would buy a product first and then ask for recommendations.

One can easily say "please recommend something that is not an Apple product".

DarkFlow

Banned
Still doesn't answer why someone would buy a product first and then ask for recommendations.

One can easily say "please recommend something that is not an Apple product".

Yeah and they still would. It happens EVERYTIME, even if you don't want Apple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom