• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I played ARMS back in 1996 but it was on PS1 and it was a game called Robo Pit

Oersted

insanely mad that Robo Pit is what this thread is based on and not Virtual On

Virtual On is earlier, better, and probably more similar to ARMS.

let's talk more about Virtual On

From the producer of ARMS

There are games like the Virtual On and the Gundam VS series that used this kind of camera, and some people have been reminded of them. We spent a lot of time playing games like those, so there are probably some influences from them in Arms.

Z

ZelbZelb

Unconfirmed Member
Can't believe folks are dumping on Robo Pit. Sure it was pretty basic, but it's still fun to pop in and clear single-player once in a while.

Game was carried mostly by it's charm, and it's OST:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZRh-eDTSuw&index=3&list=PLkkswo7BQQq-OR2yN8r_3E5y6iHUD8xjM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WknTWKoejAM&list=PLkkswo7BQQq-OR2yN8r_3E5y6iHUD8xjM&index=5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnJHP-a3KLA&list=PLkkswo7BQQq-OR2yN8r_3E5y6iHUD8xjM&index=4

It also helps that you could build your own robot, which made you more invested, and the builds lead to different play-styles.

There were at least a handful of extendo-arms in that game. The propeller, the heavy mace, and the lips, which your got from a boss named 'Lips'.

Stencil

I played ARMS back in 2002 but it was on GameCube and it was a game called Monkey Fight

Oh yeah!! Lol I remember that. My least favorite Monkey Ball minigame. Target flight practice FTW.

Anyway, OP yes I agree it does resemble ARMS. I don't think there's anything wrong with using that archetype, from what I've seen, Nintendo has made it much more playable from a modern-games standpoint.

L Thammy

I played ARMS back in 1994 but it was on PC and it was a game called One Must Fall: 2097 and it was in 2D and it didn't have extending arms and it had fatalities and it had a more robust single player mode called tournament mode which is how you get your upgrades and its online had no matchmaking and it actually did had replays but they were a hidden feature and kind of barebones and you should totally play it because it's fucking awesome

I see it OP. The rest of GAF may want to dismiss and harass you, but I see it.

Same! I actually was trying to remember what this game was called during the direct last night!

As interesting as the game is becoming to me, the concept still reminds me of the late 90's/early 00's "fake sport of the future" premise that was in a lot of games I would rent.

Thanks OP. Good luck with the flak you're going to get for comparing any 2 games.
Probably shouldn't have said anything.

I played ARMS back in 1994 but it was on PC and it was a game called One Must Fall: 2097 and it was in 2D and it didn't have extending arms and it had fatalities and it had a more robust single player mode called tournament mode which is how you get your upgrades and its online was and it actually did had replays but they were a hidden feature and kind of barebones and you should totally play it because it's fucking awesome

This too. Game was hype af.

If the OP had made the topic:

"Robo-Pit released 20 years ago has a lot of similarities to ARMS"

but they wrote:

"I played ARMS back in 1996 but it was on PS1 and it was a game called Robo Pit"

See how different this thread could have been?
It would have been the same

mindatlarge

I played both Robo Pit and ARMS in 2D back in 1993 but it was on the Famicom and it was a game called Joy Mech Fight.

250px-Joymechfight_boxart.PNG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yV0bew0RswU

zenspider

Hahaha I guess?

ARMS is cleary from the lineage of SEGA's twin stick arcade games Title Fight! and Virtual On, plus Nintendo's Custom Robo and to a degree Punch-Out!.

I don't know what dumpster fire you salvaged that Battlebots with googly-eyes slapping at maybe each other, but c'mon now... Robo Pit does not prognosticate ARMS.

atr0cious

So you admit that, on some level ("superficial"), they are similar, correct? Seems like, on a basic level, you agree with the OP. You may disagree on the words he used, but on the core concept of his post - a game 20 years ago called Robo Pit is somewhat like ARMS - you seem to agree.
You're acting like Nintendo has never made​ a arena fighter and had to remember this obscure product.

Did you all know that ARMS is inspired by Pokken? True story.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Because, you know, calling something an "inspiration" is just oh so terrible. How dare he!

A false assumption doesn't need to be terrible to be called out. You might stretch your imagination and say the games are somehow similar, but to call the game very few even remember "an inspiration" it's trolling.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I swear some people would unearth fucking prototype Turing machines in order to shit on Nintendo just a little more. It becomes pathetic after a while

Doctre81

LOL why is it that everytime nintendo comes with a new IP somer dude tries to say they copied some SONY or cancelled game nobody knows about?

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Virtual On is definitely inspiration numero uno. The Joycon pretty much operate like joysticks ffs.

I loved VO so I'm super stoked for ARMS.

watershed

Banned
The Virtual On inspiration is not only clear but the developers confirm it. I'm personally not sold on this kind of behind the back, fixed cam fighting game.

halfbeast

Banned
I can't fap to any of the robots in Robo Pit, so they're totally different, OP!!

inb4 Robot Pit has developed quite the fan art following...

iFirez

Sure, it didn't look as nice or have an intuitive motion control scheme but the similarities are striking.

video evidence

Don't get me wrong, I'm really excited for ARMS and I think it's going to be a huge hit but it's interesting to trace back its inspiration.

Some little kid just saw me watching this and said "Which Minecraft gamemode is that you're watching?" FML

LOL why is it that everytime nintendo comes with a new IP somer dude tries to say they copied some SONY or cancelled game nobody knows about?
Probably for responses from people too emotionally invested in a company like this
I swear some people would unearth fucking prototype Turing machines in order to shit on Nintendo just a little more. It becomes pathetic after a while

I mean it's so obviously a troll thread that I'm not sure how anyone fell for it

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I was playing as Twintelle in Arms a long time ago too.

tumblr_nxcts5NlB31r7sijxo1_500.gif

isn't Fei-Yen nowadays Miku-fied? Or was it just that SRW game?

insanely mad that Robo Pit is what this thread is based on and not Virtual On

Virtual On is earlier, better, and probably more similar to ARMS.

let's talk more about Virtual On

Yes.

let's talk about Captain Falcon Optimus Prime

1-100-mzv-36t-h-apharmd-the-hatter.jpg

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
PS1 library is full of such a oddities, moreso than other systems of the era. Never even heard of this game before. Neat.

Top Bottom