• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I played ARMS back in 1996 but it was on PS1 and it was a game called Robo Pit

To me, the first GIF shows a game that is about utilizing positioning, cover placement, and ranged attacks. None of which are a huge focus of Arms. If I understand Arms right, outside of dodging and jumping, your character's movement is automated, so positioning and utilizing cover are not core gameplay aspects of Arms at all. Arms is more about utilizing the curvature of your throws, knowing when to block and dodge, etc.

You move the Joy-Con like joysticks to move your character.

Everything you said I agree with, the interchangeable ARMS are a huge part of the game, as is knowing or controlling their trajectory relative to reading what the other player is doing.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
"I played "insert game name" back in 19XX but it was on XXX and it was a game called Pong"

The one true game

But yeah the customization for arms in an arena fighter isn't a new concept. In technicality even custom-robo had that to a degree with the left-arm and right-arm firearms

Medabots

y'know, those little buildable figurines with dice?

Mechanically identical to ARMS, the video game.

After all, you choose a left and right arm, and then fight in 3D arenas.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Medabots

y'know, those little buildable figurines with dice?

Mechanically identical to ARMS, the video game.

After all, you choose a left and right arm, and then fight in 3D arenas.
I mentioned Custom-Robo earlier, but this is a solid example as well. Makes me realize I've played a lot of arena fighters in my lifetime.

Custom Robo.

We'll never get another Custom Robo again. :(

I know that feel...

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I don't consider that to be backseat modding.

It's a statement I back. Lock the thread, it's a pointless troll bait shit post as a topic.

This thread seems to have upset you greatly.

Let's just hope Robo Pit is released on Switch. Then we can compare directly.

StayDead

I was playing as Twintelle in Arms a long time ago too.

tumblr_nxcts5NlB31r7sijxo1_500.gif

ViolentP

seriously.

this thread has become pretty hilarious.

I think it's funny how some threads that have legitimate information make it to 2 or 3 pages, but one with an opinion that is disagreeable keeps running. I guess it's important for some people to let you know they don't agree and that you are a big dumbface.

Max_Po

Banned
how dare you OP? You know Nintendo ideas are original and Nintendo invented everything....

get your facts straigh.t.......

I think it's funny how some threads that have legitimate information make it to 2 or 3 pages, but one with an opinion that is disagreeable keeps running.

I'm sorry that you're ignorant enough to believe that this is a valid comparison, much less simply an 'opinion that is disagreeable', instead of an outright nonsensical comparison between two games that bear only superficial similarities with one another, posted with an inflammatory, nonsensical thread title and no justifying information alongside.

Budi

I played Horizon on my 90s PC and it was a game called Daggerfell
I played Fallout 3 on my 90s PC and it was a game called Far Cry
I played Call of Duty on my N64 and it was a game called Goldeneye
I played Super Smash Bros. on my SNES and it was a game called Street Fighter II

I mean, just look at videos

besides all the huge differences, they look exactly alike!

Don't forget playing Uncharted in 1996, it was called Tomb Raider.
And Dark Souls in 2001, it was called Severance: Blade of Darkness.
And Last of Us in 2012, Telltale's Walking Dead.

ViolentP

I'm sorry that you're ignorant enough to believe that this is a valid comparison, much less simply an 'opinion that is disagreeable', instead of an outright nonsensical comparison between two games that bear only superficial similarities with one another, posted with an inflammatory, nonsensical thread title and no justifying information alongside.

Insults, really? Perhaps you should stop being so ignorant and realize that OP is one man's opinion. Nobody is asking you to name your child Robo Pit. Stop letting other people's ideas make you feel like being an ass is justified.

commish

So you admit that, on some level ("superficial"), they are similar, correct? Seems like, on a basic level, you agree with the OP. You may disagree on the words he used, but on the core concept of his post - a game 20 years ago called Robo Pit is somewhat like ARMS - you seem to agree.

So you admit that, on some level ("superficial"), they are similar, correct? Seems like, on a basic level, you agree with the OP. You may disagree on the words he used, but on the core concept of his post - a game 20 years ago called Robo Pit is somewhat like ARMS - you seem to agree.

I can't believe you guys can't see how tenuous your position is in this thread. Talk about a stretch.

No, I don't agree, because the two games aren't alike at all. Mario can jump just like Link can in BoTW. I wouldn't call those games like for like either, but hey! There's a superficial similarity for ya! Make a thread out of it.

Tambini

In the red corner we have people making a fairly crappy comparison between two games

And in the blue corner we have people getting really overly defensive to said comparison

DING DING

commish

I can't believe you guys can't see how tenuous your position is in this thread. Talk about a stretch.

No, I don't agree, because the two games aren't alike at all. Mario can jump just like Link can in BoTW. I wouldn't call those games like for like either, but hey! There's a superficial similarity for ya! Make a thread out of it.

Sounds like you need a Snickers.

I don't think there are a lot of similarities between Mario and Zelda. But if you think there are... that's okay with me. I can handle it.

Celine

Let's just hope Robo Pit is released on Switch. Then we can compare directly.
Cannot wait for Pong to be released on Switch so we then can open a thread about how we played every videogame available in the future already in the '70s.
I mean you touch some controls and stuff changes on the TV no one can deny the huge similarities.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I like to see similarities in games... but no OP that game has nothing to do with Arms.

At least post JStars Victory Plus with Rufy(and some other character too i think)
j-stars-victory-vs-plus-recensione-schermata-08.jpg

j-stars-victory-vs_2013_08-15-13_006_jpg_1400x0_q85.jpg

EDIT:
and the green... thing
1419243091-1706-capture-d-ecran.jpg

well it was 1996
True, most early 3D games were pretty rough but I'm pretty sure I've played at least a handful of reasonably polished titles from that generation, like SM64 or Crash Bandicoot

So like a PS1 one game?
Well I suppose most of them but even that gen had SOME at least kind of polished 3D titles. Either that or I'm remembering the likes of Spyro and Crash more fondly than they actually were

Heeeey, this guy thinks he gets to take the high ground after posting this
You honestly don't see the similarities at all? How is that possible?

/reviews post history

Ah, I got it. Let me try again.

Nintendo invented this entire concept and genre. No other game like it before. OP is crazy!!!! What an idiot.
I'm not gonna apologize for calling y'all out on your ignorance. I don't think it was a joke thread to y'all before it became apparent that everyone sees this shit as a joke.

Sounds like you need a Snickers.

I don't think there are a lot of similarities between Mario and Zelda. But if you think there are... that's okay with me. I can handle it.

LOL. Dude, why are you trolling. You're embarrassing yourself.

Maaaan did I love some Robo Pit back when the Saturn was the new hotness for me. I'm also looking forward to playing ARMS. I just don't see any similarities. ARMS has more in common with other arena-based tank fighters than Robo Pit of all things.

Tain

insanely mad that Robo Pit is what this thread is based on and not Virtual On

Virtual On is earlier, better, and probably more similar to ARMS.

let's talk more about Virtual On

Top Bottom