• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I really enjoy sports themed anime, come share your favourite!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Necrovex

I'm happy everyone is saying Ippo since it is one of my favorite anime. However I would feel extremely remiss if I didn't mention Ippo's OST is some of the best music around. If I wasn't on my phone, I would post many fabulous songs.

Reading Eyeshield 21 and the art is so much better than the show. Completely blows the show out of the water.

Cross Game seems to be characters focus than sports focused. I haven't read it in years and never finished it, so my memory may be off. But it's a fantastic manga. I need to return to it since I have yet to see the anime.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I don't know about anime, but Slam Dunk had me on the edge of my seat the whole run. I wish it lasted much longer, the ending was a bit abrupt, but those games spanning several books...oh man

Cross Game seems to be characters focus than sports focused. I haven't read it in years and never finished it, so my memory may be off. But it's a fantastic manga. I need to return to it since I have yet to see the anime.

Yeah, sports are really just the backdrop for characters in Adachi manga.

Jabo

HEY OP!!! ONE OUTS ONE OUTS ONE OUTS ONE OUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very very very very special show to me and you need to enjoy it op.

WJVrIFW.gif

Neo C.

Sports anime is one of my favourite genres.

Princess Nine
Chihayafuru
Kuroko
One Outs
Bamboo Blade
Taishou Yakyuu Musume

and

Girls und Panzer (if that counts)

Necrovex

If you feel like you can watch some Berserk-level gore of sport anime, you can watch the grand daddy of them all...Beyblade.

Mekere

Technically not sport focused but there is a lot of climbing involved, I just love the webtoon Peak

peak_banner1.jpg

[Edit]And I should learn how to read because obviously Peak is not an anime, still it's a very good webtoon!

Member876

Banned
I don't know about anime, but Slam Dunk had me on the edge of my seat the whole run. I wish it lasted much longer, the ending was a bit abrupt, but those games spanning several books...oh man

Was it ever explained why anime didn't cover the nationals? Manga is still one of best selling manga in the world and the og anime was licensed in various countries during it's original run. So it seemed odd they never covered the whole manga.

Slam Dunk was also first manga series I ever bought, I had to know how things went down after the anime.

Slam Dunk is life to me. It was realistic and made you appreciate the game of basketball as much as you could appreciate the awesome characters.

I also dig Ippo, Eyeshield 21 and Ace of Diamond.

Thank you for this thread! Kuroko and Chihaya got me into sports anime and I've been trying to make a list of shows I've been missing out on.

I usually wait for shows to finish airing their seasons before watching but I've seen about 40 eps of Ace of the Diamond. It's definitely better now than the start because it's at its best when the rivals are just as unique and powerful as the protagonists.

I wanted to try Prince of Tennis but I remember reading the most scathing review on Anime News Network one time so I decided to wait a little more. The positive impressions here make me want to give it a shot.

I actually started Yowapeda last night and it's pretty awesome. Characters are great and Onodera's development has been fun to watch. Can't wait for the competitions to start!

My most anticipated show right now is Haikyuu because I think it'll be done airing next month so I can marathon it.

I'm still holding out on the first part of Ippo to be added to Crunchyroll before I start it but that's probably a pipe dream.

No fans of Giant Killing or Knight in The Area?

And where are these supposed to ballet and figure skating anime? The only manga I know that deals with that is a new series by Cuvie.

Despera

Banned
ibxOeuEo3ioOVs.jpg

Other than Captain Tsubasa, Slam Dunk and the rest of the popular sports anime shows... Miracle Giants Dome-kun was my joint as a little kid. Man I used to get so hyped by this shit.

At first our little hero learns his father's signature shot "Mirage ball" or whatever it was called in the first few episodes and becomes unstoppable. Well, until a seasoned batter stepped up to the challenge and managed to figure it out. From that point on Dome-kun started his pursuit of the ultimate baseball shot.

By the end of the anime he meets the ultimate batter where he reveals the ultimate shot called "Black Hole" (the ball literally turns into a miniature star, explodes and becomes a black hole lol), in typical late 80s/early 90s anime fashion.

Some clips:

Mirage shot finally stopped

Rainbow shot reveal

Sonic Hurricane shot... I think that's what it was called

Black Hole shot

It's been more than 20 years since I've last seen it... Now I feel old.

farisr

Someone else has seen this! Seriously, I loved Hungry Heart, all 52 episodes of gloriously ridiculous soap opera-ness. It's a little bit cliché but if you don't want cliché then don't watch sports anime. I loved this.

Hi five!

Honestly, it really shocked me a couple of years after I had watched the show, that many people really hadn't seen or even heard of it. It was really solid that I thought it would at least be relatively known.

I didn't really watch this show based off other people's recommendations, a friend of mine was a fansubber and his group started subtitling this show, which is how I found out about it.

Frog-fu

Banned
Major
Eyeshield 21
Ace of Diamond
Ookiku Furikabutte

Kuroko no Basket is not a sports anime. It's a shōnen battle manga that pretends it's about basketball and it is terrible. Such a predictable and thoroughly broken mess not even worthy of half its popularity.

Major. Fantastic show that follows the main character from when he's a kid playing little league in Japan to the pros in the US. Just great stuff

major-episode-26-english-subbed.jpg

Why is there no US release of this?

My man.

-NeoTB1-

I love sports anime. Some of my favorites (all have probably been mentioned...)

-Hajime no Ippo. Not only is it my favorite sports anime, it's probably up there with my favorite anime period. I encourage everyone to check this out whether you like boxing or not.
-Major. Baseball theme. The progression of Goro through this series from his childhood to a Pro is fantastic. Lots of episodes, too.
-Giant Killing. Soccer theme. Honestly, I just love the intro and art style.
-Baby Steps. Tennis theme. I'm actually liking this more than Prince of Tennis. I guess I just happen to like the main character more in this show. He doesn't start off as some tennis prodigy. He just uses his smarts and work ethic to get better. Not hating on PoT though. Both are entertaining.
-Yowapeda. Cycling theme. This one surprised me. The more I watched it the more I liked it. CR has 30+ episodes up right now.
-Haikyu!! Volleyball theme. Always rooting for the small guys and underdogs. Go Hinata!

Say what you will about the rest of the show, but Free! has some beautiful animation when the guys are actually swimming:

tumblr_n8gr3wTOb61qztgoio1_500.gif

Too bad a big chunk of the show takes place outside of the water.

For you Slam Dunk fans...

Nike/Jordan Brand is planning to release a 'Slam Dunk' version of the Air Jordan VI to recognize Takehiko Inoue's work on the manga.

That said, the cyclist in me loves Yowapeda...can't wait for the second season to start in October.

Other cycling anime to check out:
- Nasu: Summer in Andalusia
- Nasu: A Migratory Bird with Suitcase

Both are short OVAs, with former Studio Ghibli staff involved with the production.

Necrovex

I didn't even know Major was a thing until this thread. I am going to make that my next long anime, once I finish with LOGH.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I remember many years ago when I was a kid watching a baseball anime that I absolutely adored, I have no idea the name, they had "special moves" for ball throws and shit (I remember one guy had a ball that split into a bunch of balls like an illusion, another guy had a huge bat and used the underside of the bat to hit the ball)

anyone has any idea of the name? would love to one day find and watch it again

strangely, for someone that loves football, I never got into Tsubasa

JavyOO7

Big WindUp is pretty good.

Slam Dunk is amazing
Major is too, I feel
Unfortunately, could not get into Prince of Tennis all that much. I think the main character sucks, tbh. I'll give it another chance sometime.
Kuroko Basketball is pretty good.

Reading the Whistle manga in a Shonen Jump was my gateway into sports stories and later the anime.
Read several Sports manga after that, but then Hajime No Ippo brought me back to anime and now I read and watch religiously.

I enjoy more of the realistic types than the super powered ones.

Major blew my mind. Truly the sports epic!

Series I can recall off the top of my head:

Whistle! (Soccer) : My first
Hajime No Ippo (Boxing) : Still going strong
Major!: A Sports Epic! It's got EVERYTHING!
Cross Game (Baseball) Author loves baseball... Has several other titles
Yowamushi Pedal (Cycling) : So much fun
Haikyuu (Volleyball): One of my current top favorites
Baby Steps (Tennis): Just got into this... liking a lot
Prince of Tennis (Tennis): Classic
Eyeshield 21 (Football) : Fun yet intense
Slam Dunk (Basketball) : Classic
Ace of Diamond (Baseball): Another current favorite.
Ōkiku Furikabutte/Big WindUp (Baseball): Read the manga after...good battle of wills
Yawara! (Judo) Old fun classic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom