• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I returned a game because of the font size

Takao

Banned
Not really related, but man Scamco's janky subtitles for Plan to Eradicate The Super Saiyans still bugs me to this day:

YlqCa.jpg

yUhGC.jpg

jYdiG.jpg

Jt4Cu.jpg

AzPDW.jpg

Centred to the left, and positioned in such a way where the video player options block the subtitles. Fantastic. There is no English dub on it either, simply the Japanese audio. The problem is it appears they use the game's subtitle placement for an animated feature, and that shit just don't fly. Supposedly they used the same subtitle style for Episode of Bardock on DBZ for Kinect.

By this frame of logic, are you suggesting that TVs will get larger and larger to accommodate the extra pixels, and font sizes will remain the same?

I will probably just exercise the third choice, which is to avoid games like this until I have a different living room set-up. I can play all other games just fine.

What? No. As resolutions go higher, font will get smaller in some cases because more pixels will be on screen.

Part of the problem is that the particular font in the OP wasn't designed with ease of readability in mind. Had the developers chosen a more legible font, it would help a bit.

Two minutes into Dishonoured, I have decided to return my copy for store credit because of the size of the on-screen text.

Whoa, what? People do this? It's such a small part of Dishonored.

I had no issues with Dishonored's font size, and I wear glasses. Might depend on how far away you sit from the TV.

I would welcome this greatly. Won't happen though :(

Seems it would easy, but idk, it's probably hard to program or something. And it messes with loc translations.

And it's true, I never have problems reading blu-ray subtitles.
The programming wouldn't necessarily be complicated, Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo would just have to make developers comply. Also more resources would have to be dedicated to the OS.

DonMigs85

What's your eyesight OP?
My friend recently got glasses and it was like a whole new world for him. He started replaying movies and games and it all felt almost like totally new experiences with the much improved clarity. He never knew what he was missing.
And again, 12 feet from a 32 inch set really is too far.

Whoa, whoa, if squinting is making it actually look better, you really should get yourself checked out for glasses. Many people who don't think they need them actually do.

QFT, I spent quite a few years convincing myself that it was normal to not be able to read text from relatively far away then I got glasses and realized I was a fool.

dock

Whoa, what? People do this? It's such a small part of Dishonored.

I had no issues with Dishonored's font size, and I wear glasses. Might depend on how far away you sit from the TV.
Of course it depends.

As for text, it's obvious the game wants me to read this text, and all the text prompts on interactive are completely illegible.

i personally love it. i hate fonts taking up loads of screen real estate.
i've got good eyesight with correction, and i definitely don't sit as far from the screen as the op, ratios accounted for.

Foxix Von

What's your eyesight OP?
My friend recently got glasses and it was like a whole new world for him. He started replaying movies and games and it all felt almost like totally new experiences with the much improved clarity. He never knew what he was missing.
And again, 12 feet from a 32 inch set really is too far.

Yeah I gotta agree. I game on a 27" set and I don't sit more that 4 feet away from it. I really couldn't imagine sitting further away.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Seriously there is absolutely nothing wrong with that font size. Do you want it to take up a quarter of the screen or what?

dock

My eyesight is great. I never have trouble with reading anything.

I was only using squinting as a reference to leaning forward and concentrating.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Dishonored's text looked nice to me. 12 feet is way too far for a 32 inch set. I'm about 5 feet from mine and I generally like small, unobtrusive text.

DonMigs85

That's what they all say. Is it REALLY 20/20?
Have 'em checked just to be sure.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I expect subtitle text comparable to blu-ray subtitle text.

Which is pretty much exactly what the first picture looks like. Seriously if you can't read that you're sitting too far away.

The second picture is a bit smaller but the lack of contrast is the real culprit.

LegoArmo

Happens more with PC games for me, since they're designed to be played at a desktop, some of them have very, very small text. Console games have always been fine.

EvB

You'd literally need superhuman eyesight to read that size text at 12 feet.

I guess when many games are made, they are made with high quality large PC screens and everything is composed with that in mind.

I think your complaint is a valid one, we expect games to have subtitles for hard of hearing players, but there will be plenty of people here whose vision isn't actually good enough to read small text on a 46" TV that is 8 feet away.

mollipen

Games need to have in-game options for increasing or decreasing the size of text used in the game. Anybody who argues against such options are wrong; you simply can't predict every gamer's needs and situations.

DonMigs85

Games need to have in-game options for increasing or decreasing the size of text used in the game. Anybody who argues against such options are wrong; you simply can't predict every gamer's needs and situations.

Perhaps, but it may not always fit the game's designated text box or something.

dock

Mostly, why have games decided that larger TVs or smaller viewing distance is necessary anyway? It was pretty fine to have 14" and 20" TVs ten years ago. The move to HD improves things, but seems to have made viewing distances tiny for on-screen GUI.

Rich!

No one should ever moan about font size until they've played through Wind Waker on a GameBoy Advance via a TV tuner adapter.

I did. I was an absolute masochist as a kid.

DonMigs85

Mostly, why have games decided that larger TVs or smaller viewing distance is necessary anyway? It was pretty fine to have 14" and 20" TVs ten years ago. The move to HD improves things, but seems to have made viewing distances tiny for on-screen GUI.

More screen real estate to take advantage of. The text and icons in Windows, OS X, etc also look smaller the higher your resolution gets, unless you fiddle with DPI settings or something (which can mess up the look of some apps and websites).

EvB

It's one of those things that is really common in PC land in general. Have you see what happens when you turn up the font size to 150% in Vista/7?
It becomes far more practical on a 1080p 15" screen but loads of badly made program's totally break thanks to UIs going all weird.

bryehn

By this frame of logic, are you suggesting that TVs will get larger and larger to accommodate the extra pixels, and font sizes will remain the same?

I will probably just exercise the third choice, which is to avoid games like this until I have a different living room set-up. I can play all other games just fine.

Don'y try to play XCOM. Or Sleeping Dogs, you'll lose your shit.

I agree, great to have for accessibility too.

Teppic

This is a real problem for me. My eyesight is pretty poor and I have to skip certain games because of it. Not like the OP who can just move a little bit closer to the screen.

Rich!

It was my first playthrough too.

Got it for my birthday, found out we were going to France the next day for two weeks. Took my gamecube and gba TV tuner with me to play in the chalet we stayed in.

I finished the game, not knowing what the hell anyone said.

vazel

Banned
I thought text was big in Dishonored. When I played the game on my PC I viewed the text size as a carryover from consoles. Especially the way the in-game books are presented.

PetrCobra

It was an issue for me in some Wii games, from the photos in OP I can't really tell why is it an issue here. Guess whatever distance 12 feet is, it's probably too far.

Even though it doesn't affect me, but there's no reason why the end user can adjust the font sizes in games. Step you game up developers.

Did I miss the part where the OP said why he couldn't just move his couch or TV closer? I'm not being facetious - I'm really wondering why that isn't a solution here.

32" at 12 feet is way too far away. It's not like the issue that early adopters had this gen where they were playing HD games on SD TVs. The issue here is really just that your couch is well beyond the recommended viewing distance. The other games may look fine to you, but I'd venture a guess that it's because you're used to it and not because you're not still outside the recommended viewing distance.

watership

My TV is 32", my game is running in 720p through HDMI, and my head is about 12 feet from the screen.

The font size in Dishonored is a little too small for my tastes, but I can read it. But a 32 inch TV from 12 feet is not remotely the right distance for viewing in my opinion. Contrary to what you would think with HD displays you should actually sit closer.

DonMigs85

The font size in Dishonored is a little too small for my tastes, but I can read it. But a 32 inch TV from 12 feet is not remotely the right distance for viewing in my opinion. Contrary to what you would think with HD displays you should actually sit closer.

Listen to this man, the tinier pixels mean the up-close viewing is better compared to SD sets.

dyergram

I changed the feet on my sofa so I can pull my it closer to the tv but my eyesight has gone a bit crap I need some glasses...

Sophia

To sit 12 feet away from a TV that small is just... absurd. You're sitting the length of more than two average humans away from it. It's no wonder it can't be easily read.

dock

I can't and won't move my furniture.

If I move the couch forward it blocks the door and is weird in general... and it would only be for this particular game. I appreciate there's a balance, but in this instance I'm unwilling to be so accommodating.

In present circumstances, moving the couch and replacing the TV are a large disruption to the other people I live with, as well as myself.

There are other entertainment products in the world.

I am a bit outside the recommended range for my 40" LCD - probably something like 11 feet. I have decent vision (when corrected), so I don't usually have problems with this, but really just noticed it in XCom. I realized I was leaning way forward and squinting a lot. Now I sit in a chair about 5 feet away. My wife tells me I'm killing my eyes sitting "so close," I argue we just need to buy a bigger TV.

But yeah, adjustable text size would be great for when viewing conditions aren't optimal and are hard to change. Or for people with poor vision.

Sophia

I am a bit outside the recommended range for my 40" LCD - probably something like 11 feet. I have decent vision (when corrected), so I don't usually have problems with this, but really just noticed it in XCom. I realized I was leaning way forward and squinting a lot. Now I sit in a chair about 5 feet away. My wife tells me I'm killing my eyes sitting "so close," I argue we just need to buy a bigger TV.

But yeah, adjustable text size would be great for when viewing conditions aren't optimal and are hard to change. Or for people with poor vision.

If it's a 40" TV, then 5 feet is the minimum recommended distance away. Pull your chair back slightly if possible and you're good. Hardly hurting your eyes (any worse than staring at electronics would usually be...)

I can remember there being a lot of hubbub about this when the original Dead Rising came out
I think for Banjo Nuts and Bolts too, but only on SD sets.

Yeah both of these were more because they looked absolutely awful in Standard Definition. Lots of games are rather bad about SDTVs. Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon come to mind.

Top Bottom