• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I stole a Gameboy Color 17 years ago, and I still feel guilty about it

In middle school a kid stole my copy of Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time so the next day I broke into his locker and stole his DS and a case of games he had. And his Dr. Pepper. And his blackberry phone.

I turned the phone and DS into the lost and found the next day since I felt guilty. Didn't feel guilty enough to give back the games or Dr. Pepper, tho.

What kind of kid in middle school uses a blackberry phone???

This might sound like a crazy idea and probably impossible but you should try to track down the kid who you stole it from and give it back, if you still have it.

Nick

I once stole a copy of Goldeneye 64 from my local movie rental store. Me and my friends noticed the metal detector was never plugged in (the plug was right next to the entrance door), so we had this elaborate scheme to distract the worker while we put the game in our backpack and run. It was the only thing I've ever stolen, and I still feel like shit about it, 20 years later.

I had good taste even when I was ten, though.

scamander

Banned
To answer an earlier question: No, I've never been belted or physically harmed in any way by my parents. Thank god. I know however children who are raised in abusive environments.

Keep thinking like this. No wonder this generation is so screwed up...

Dude, there is a reason corporal punishment is illegal in many countries and a violation of the UN's Convention of the Right of the Child. If you think it is necessary to raise a "not screwed up" child, you are the one who is fucked up. What your child will learn by being physically punished, is that it's okay to resolve conflicts with violence. What an admirable educational goal, right? You will also destroy the natural bond of trust between your child and you. This violation will affect your child its whole life, because it may never be able to really trust other people.

People who use corporal punishment do so, because they don't know how else to bring up their child. They lack parenting skills and need either help or should frankly not have any children. Often enough those parents have been victims of child abuse themselves. It's a cycle of violence.

Errr, yes, obviously they aren't going to go back and re-balance their ledger from June 13th, 1991 or whatever. The implication of your position is that theft is not bad because shrink is accounted for eventually. People should pay for the things they stole because it's the right thing to do; what the store does with the money is of no concern. If an employee pockets it, more power to them. If they donate it to charity, more power to them. If they itemize it as money found in the back of a drawer, more power to them.

Yes, that was a very odd objection. They'll just flat out account for it as 'conscience money' and add it to their bottom line. Accountants are nothing if not creative when it comes to ways to receive payments.

heringer

This is rich coming from the person who claims hitting a child with a belt is "Good Parenting"

Yeah man totally with you. The lack of physical abuse is why this generation is so screwed up!

ffs

I'm sorry, was he hit by a belt in the story? He suffered child abuse? You are insane.

Obviously, hitting a 5 years old kid with a belt is not good parenting. It was a different generation though, and parents can be a little too energetic some times. However, making a big point about stealing by returning to the store and paying for the toy was a great lesson. Most people would just shrug it off. Some people are so sensitive, my God.

ced

Sounds like you found a GBC, not stole.

I guess you can feel guilty about not turning it in to the store for lost and found, but you didn't steal anything.

TheFuzz

Funny... 17 years ago my GB color went missing at marshalls.

I'll pm you my address so you can compensate me fairly. Thanks, OP!

Top Bottom