• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think Switch brings mutual perfection to a long-standing issue

tumblr_lrj67qqPRm1qe9r2fo6_250.gif

Speely

Banned
Yeah so much better to play them wherever on a laptop and continue the progress on any PC with cloud sync.

Dude. I am a PC guy, and playing on a laptop is SO much less appealing to me than pulling my Switch out of my bag and playing within seconds. It's a FAR superior method of portable play... Objectively.

It seems like you just want to rain on the parade, tbh.

Keinning

You should self reflect when you're getting worked up enough to accuse your fellow posters of being fanatics and addicts over absolutely nothing.

Like, did you have a bad day? Is this how you cope? You need to step away from the keyboard and chill.

don't worry, i'm not worked up about anything, but thanks for your concern (two times even). and when i tell someone i'm not interested in something and they insist i might be some day, thats the only conclusion i can take. don't speak for others, speak for yourself.

i have a switch and i like it as my nintendo console this gen, because nintendo games are appealing enough for me to buy a nintendo console every time. i'm just not interested in the portability aspect of it, and won't be any time soon. it's docked all the time, just like any other console i had before, and that is no issue to me. i'm sorry if this make you upset, i'm truly am.

Please tell me how you're playing your PS4 on a 6 hour flight or train ride. Oh wait you can't. The fuck has a fiancee or the garbage have to do with that. Do you never leave your home except for going to the dentist?

Do you really think "gaming" is the only thing you can do during long rides? Honest question.

Wamb0wneD

No, this is incredibly situational and not worthy of mention and praise. My gaming time is limited enough and i have a tv to play (and yes, this includes my switch). I don't want to take it to bed. Or to the dentist, the bathroom or the garage. And in the event i need to pause my game and leave for whatever reason, i won't torture myself for not taking my game on the go with me because i have self control. You people sound like fanatics and addicts. "HOW CAN I SURVIVE WITHOUT ZELDA ON THE GO, I NEED TO TALK TO MY FIANCEE IN THE BEDROOM FOR TEN MINUTES, THE HORROR"

Please tell me how you're playing your PS4 on a 6 hour flight or train ride. Oh wait you can't. The fuck has a fiancee or the garbage have to do with that. Do you never leave your home except for going to the dentist?

Yeah so much better to play them wherever on a laptop and continue the progress on any PC with cloud sync.

Comparing a laptop to the Switch is asinine af. Sorry.

phanphare

Banned
It doesn't. This simply boils down to having games you like ported to your handheld of choice.

are you being intentionally dense or something?

the OP did a fine job of explaining the mutual perfection angle

games that play better as a handheld experience are right at home on Switch because it can be played that way. there is also the option to play those handheld experiences on a tv.

likewise games that play better as tv/couch experiences are right at home on Switch because it can be played that way. there is also the option to play those tv/couch experiences in handheld mode.

hence mutual perfection

you can't go 6 hours without playing video games?!?! have some self control man!

/s

No, this is incredibly situational and not worthy of mention and praise. My gaming time is limited enough and i have a tv to play (and yes, this includes my switch). I don't want to take it to bed. Or to the dentist, the bathroom or the garage. And in the event i need to pause my game and leave for whatever reason, i won't torture myself for not taking my game on the go with me because i have self control. You people sound like fanatics and addicts. "HOW CAN I SURVIVE WITHOUT ZELDA ON THE GO, I NEED TO TALK TO MY FIANCEE IN THE BEDROOM FOR TEN MINUTES, THE HORROR"

You seriously need to reassess what you take away from comments like most in this thread, if you're conclusion is to exaggerate people's 'enjoyment' of portability to being 'fanatical' or 'addicted'. And it is telling that the only piece of evidence you have to refute any admiration for this aspect of the Switch boils down to:

"Doesn't benefit me so stop being happy about it everyone!"

OT I've found it to be a great little indie device thus far, even though I have most of the larger titles released. I tried BOTW and Mario Kart on my commutes but felt it a little too hard to focus on than (though Mario Kart less so), whereas the larger Nintendo IPs are almost exclusively what I'm playing and looking forwards when I'm home at my TV from late summer to next year at this point. I guess the portability of larger games will come more naturally to me over the next couple of years, regardless it was a needed step forwards for mainstream computer gaming, that sadly the likes of the Vita just didn't get enough traction for.

It’s the right timing. Mobile technology and graphical fidelity at a great crossroads. And portability in the long run will bring children appeal as well.

It’s almost like the Wii again

For the first month I owned a Switch, I only played on our tv. But now I just leave the tv for my wife to play whatever game she wants and I just grab tbe the Switch and a pro controller and set it up with the kickstand in the other room. I thought I was going to ignore the main gimmick but it grabbed me after all. I love it

Wamb0wneD

Do you really think "gaming" is the only thing you can do during long rides? Honest question.

You're on a freaking gaming forum. The last time I had a 5 hour train ride I read a book for 2 hours and played Zelda for 3. Am I addicted now? Am I a fanatic in your eyes because I dare to want to be able to play video games on the go?
Do you feel like you're the better human being because you don't? What even is that question lmao. Honest my ass.

Keinning

here's an honest question, it's a two parter

what would you do during a long ride?

and the follow up: is that the only thing you could do?

see?

listen to music, read a book, talk to people, watch a movie

no, it's not. i could listen to music and then talk to people and then watch a movie. and i could play a game as well if i felt like it, but i don't. just like i don't take 6 hour flights/train rides every day.

You're on a freaking gaming forum. The last time I had a 5 hour train ride I read a book for 2 hours and played Zelda for 3. Am I addicted now? Am I a fanatic in your eyes because I dare to want to be able to play video games on the go?
Do you feel like you're the better human being because you don't? What even is that question lmao.

I'm on a gaming forum because i like games. Doesn't mean i play them all the time. Is this some requisite i missed in the rules or something?
I wouldn't think of you as an addict unless you started to try and shame me for not playing games on the go like you. Then yes, i would. And no, i don't think i'm a better human being than you for having different hobbies and priorities so don't worry. Do you think you're a better human being than me because i don't take my switch on the go?

jwhit28

It finally got the idea behind Vita and Wii U right. Portable and home console are one and the same. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate the other platforms pushing the edge of technology. I do hope Sony and Microsoft release their own Switch. I'd buy a 6 inch Surface Play in a heartbeat.

Speely

Banned
This thread has convinced me that there are lots of folks who don't own a Switch but who have a burning need to comment about it.

phanphare

Banned
listen to music, read a book, talk to people, watch a movie

no, it's not. i could listen to music and then talk to people and then watch a movie. and i could play a game as well if i felt like it, but i don't. just like i don't take 6 hour flights/train rides every day.

so do you get the point I was making and how your previous posts sound pretty fucking stupid?

never mind your bullshit ass claims about people who would dare choose to play a video game in a portable setting, making claims about their lack of self control and likening them to an addict or fiend

do you get all of that now? do you understand why your post was hot garbage?

best gaming console ever, its really feels like a revolution hardware for video games.

It's a tablet meant for gaming.

NIntendo put all there best ideas that they already created and shoved it all together for this console and it really shows.

There's still a lot of criticism i have for the system, but the technology for it, is still mind blowing.

This thread has convinced me that there are lots of folks who don't own a Switch but who have a burning need to comment about it.
Put the word "Switch" in a OP title and you are going to have a lot of these guys commenting... every single time... Also, put "BOTW" or "Mario O" to have the Salty ones. Never fail.

Keinning

so do you get the point I was making and how your previous posts sound pretty fucking stupid?

never mind your bullshit ass claims about people who would dare choose to play a video game in a portable setting, making claims about their lack of self control and likening them to an addict or fiend

do you get all of that now? do you understand why your post was hot garbage?

no, i don't get how saying i'm not interested in gaming on the go is stupid to someone quoting me to say i might feel the urge of gaming on the go. sorry.

i do apologize for the "addicts and fanatics" part though, that was unnecessary

I liked my Vita but the shoulder buttons didn't work well for my hands. Switch works great and I like it.

but...I'm not sure what I'll be getting on it from Nintendo after Mario comes out.

Wamb0wneD

I'm on a gaming forum because i like games. Doesn't mean i play them all the time. Is this some requisite i missed in the rules or something?
I wouldn't think of you as an addict unless you started to try and shame me for not playing games on the go like you. Then yes, i would. And no, i don't think i'm a better human being than you for having different hobbies and priorities so don't worry. Do you think you're a better human being than me because i don't take my switch on the go?

You're the one who wrote this:

Comes across as shaming people who want to play games somewhere else than their TV. On a gaming forum. Because being able to play them somewhere else is all that has been said in here, instead of the nonsense that original post of yours contains.

phanphare

Banned
no, i don't get how saying i'm not interested in gaming on the go is stupid to someone quoting me to say i might feel the urge of gaming on the go. sorry.

i do apologize for the "addicts and fanatics" part though, that was unnecessary

thank you for the apology

also you not being interested in portable gaming is fine. you do you. just like we'll all do us. there's no issue there, it was more the grander statements you were making about other people and their choices.

but...I'm not sure what I'll be getting on it from Nintendo after Mario comes out.

Well, there's not a ton announced from Nintendo beyond 2017. Around five games I believe and a couple of those will probably be 2019 releases.

We should have a better idea of the near future lineup come December or early January.

Wamb0wneD

I liked my Vita but the shoulder buttons didn't work well for my hands. Switch works great and I like it.

Yoshi, Kirby, Fire Emblem, Metroid Prime 4 and a Pokemon game are all announced. And I'll eat my hat if we don't get an Animal Crossing or Smash Bros down the line.

sanstesy

Every time someone cannot see the usability difference between a laptop and the Switch it's time to end the discussion.

i mean if by perfection you mean games having forced downloads, over priced accessories, horrible d pad on the pro controller, no dpad on joycons. :)

i mean if by perfection you mean games having forced downloads, over priced accessories, horrible d pad on the pro controller, no dpad on joycons. :)

None of these actually take all that much away from this topic's main point.

It'd be like me saying the 3D effect on the 3DS is "perfect" and someone challenging this with the fact that the eShop loads slowly.

I disagree, I think the switch is bad at both. It's not great as a console and it's terrible as a portable.

The compromise was not worth it for me, I'm mainly a portable guy. Switch is too heavy, battery is bad, device is too big and the controllers suck.

Yup, can't wait for the revision.

Work-Out-Meme.jpg

Might have to workout some more.

redcrayon

Maybe they played on a laptop?

Honestly its about as portable as a slim laptop.

What I really want is a smaller revision, one that feels really portable.
What slim laptop is about as portable as a Switch? I've never seen one that I'd be comfortable playing on the tube, or standing up. It's really not comparable. Tablets are a better comparison.

Aurongel

With AAA studios feeling resource squeezed, targeting a handheld with specs appropriate for indie titles was a wise move.

What will tank it's momentum is Nintendo continuing to fuck up the user accessibility and experience and fumbling online play.

Nintendo is their best friend and their own worst enemy.

It's a neat device. I still prefer playing games on my 70" TV, though. I don't have a ton of use for handhelds.

Playing Mario Rabidds handheld while watching TV hasn't been bad, to be honest

Triteon

What slim laptop is about as portable as a Switch? I've never seen one that I'd be comfortable playing on the tube, or standing up. It's really not comparable. Tablets are a better comparison.

I agree not so much for the playing, but for the actual carrying i'd say they are all pretty comparable. Your gonna need a bag.

*Guaraná

Banned
if you're saying that play on a switch is the same thing as playing on a laptop, sorry dude, but you haven't played on the switch yet.

that's the only reason someone would compare such different things.

its not just the portability is the portability PLUS the fact that you can start playing in less than three seconds from the exacly place you stoped.

and if you want to play for five minutes, that's ok. just hit the power button to turn off the screen. the next time you have another 5 min the game you be there, for you to start playing again, from the very same location where you left it.

you don't even need to save the game to stop playing without losing your progress.

JoeM86

The Switch sans joycons is the same size as 3DS XL and we didn't get complaints about that size.
The Switch's battery is about on par in duration of play as the OG 3DS and even the Vita. Not great but not "oh god we can't play this portably" level, especially with power banks being a thing now.

I don't get those complaints.

I get what you're saying, but Nintendo is no stranger to the day one patch.

And they're already well versed in microtransactions, with their mobile offerings and some F2P titles on 3DS. So, that's an area they'll likely embrace on the Switch at some point.

For F2P games, sure. However I doubt we'll ever see microtransactions in full retail titles by Nintendo

For F2P games, sure. However I doubt we'll ever see microtransactions in full retail titles by Nintendo

I wonder if the fact that most Nintendo first party software is able to retain its full $60 value will allow the company to forego the implementation of microtransactions anytime soon.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Yeah its pretty freaking amazing. I exclusively play all my indie games undocked. And all the Nintendo or bigger games I have I play in either mode. Its pretty freaking amazing that it's even possible. I'm surprised at how much i use undocked too. Figured I'd mostly play docked for say Zelda but its so convenient when I'm downstairs and I can just play Zelda without having to hook it up to the TV.

HCgamer

I have played my switch in portable mode one time since I purchased it in late July I much prefer playing on a big screen I still rely on my 3ds and vita when I get the itch to play a true handheld.

JustJavi

I haven't turned my xbox one on since the 3rd of March, and I have used my PS4 just a couple of times since it came out. My wife also loves it.

Top Bottom