• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think Wii U is Nintendo's best console since the SNES

Jubenhimer

I'm going to be glib for a second.

The Wii didn't get anything right, and it won't happen again, and here's why.

The game had an awful attach rate. People weren't buying games for it. And see, attach rate is far more important than number of units shipped. Like, if the WiiU had an attach rate that meant people were buying FAR more games per unit for it than the Xbox or Playstation, it would be the winning console right now.

But, see, with the Wii, attach rate was so low that it was dead last.
Stopped reading there. The Wii's attach rate was just fine. 8.89 a per system.

It is an amazing Nintendo system. It has so many quirks I really love:

- Couch potato/toilet gaming with the Gamepad. Can't remember how many times I have fallen asleep using it as a gaming or Netflix device at bed

- Enough innovation with the aforementioned interface device, even if it died out pretty quickly (Nintendo Land and Zombi U were amazing examples of its potential, then it all fell sideways)

- An amazing collection of Nintendo games, in spectacular HD. Obvious examples are Pikmin, Wind Waker and Mario Kart

- It remains the only party oriented system in this generation, a sad reality for us who grew up with couch co-op 4 player gaming.

Nevertheless, it has so little third party support that if you put this into factor, it is probably the worst system in Nintendo's history (outside of obvious flops like VBoy).

Zweisy1

It is a great console and it has some EAD's best work on it such as Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8.

However, Nintendo still has the quality but I think their game line-up just isn't as interesting as on some of the previous consoles.

Nintendo's output on the Wii U is a little bit Mario and platformer heavy in general.. No F-Zero, Waverace etc either. Kinda miss the days when Nintendo would make things like Detective Club or Startropics. I know there's Splatoon but overall it seemed like Nintendo was more creative and less iterative on the Wii than on the Wii U.

Top Bottom