• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I WANT: Open world Zelda; core items from start; challenging, with skippable tutorial

Log4Girlz

So. I recently sunk 60 hours into Saints Row: The Third + all DLC on PC -- AWESOME GAME. Prior to that, I played through Demon's Souls -- ALSO AWESOME. Somewhere along the way, I got nostalgic for Zelda, distant to me now like an alienated stepfather.

It got me thinking:

When Zelda goes HD, it needs to be an open world title like the NES original. Right from the start, you can wander off in any direction. Scattered around the world are, oh, let's say 16 dungeons. Some you see in the distance, like a tower on a hill, and the trick is getting there. Others, you stumble upon by accident: a hole in the ground gives way to tunnels; tunnels to caves; caves to the entrance of an underground temple.

You can tackle the dungeons in any order, at any time. This is possible because you start the game with a half-dozen items that form the basic puzzle-solving "vocabulary" of every dungeon. So right from the start you have your sword, shield, bow, bombs, boomerang, hookshot and lantern. But each dungeon also has its own special item to collect. Since you should be able to tackle the dungeons in any order you wish, the special item in each dungeon should NOT be required for the puzzles in any of the other dungeons... but it would still get use beyond its host dungeon in the form of the overworld, where certain nooks and crannies can only be accessed by using that item. The final dungeon, accessible once you've completed all of the others, could also make use of every item, since you'd have them all by that point.

So with that it's possible to do any of the dungeons, in any order. The dungeons can still have their own compelling mechanics, they're own compelling plots, uncovered once you arrive there and meet the locals. But now there's a true sense of exploration and adventure...

Meanwhile, you have bustling towns, driven by time cycles. Let's say, oh, seven days in a week, with the key NPCs doing different things each day in that period, before looping back to the start of the cycle... unless you attempt their sidequests and send their routines branching off in different paths. This would bring back some of the "living world" of Majora's Mask, a game that did the same thing but with three days in one town and a "clean slate" mechanic via time travel. It'd also hopefully bring back some of that game's whimsy and wonder, with a gaggle of weird and charming characters.

And make the game brutally difficult on its default difficulty. Provide an "easy mode" for the casuals, but keep the default difficulty tough. In addition, start the game with a question: "Have you played a Zelda game before?" Select "Yes," and the game says, "You can access a tutorial at any time from the Start menu," before skipping straight to the main game. GAF would select "Yes" and be spared any Fi-style withering of the soul... But should GAF suffer amnesia and forget how to play, the tutorial would be just a button press away.

Personally, I think the above would really revive the series for me. It has the three elements I want back in the series: 1) EXPLORATION/ADVENTURE, 2) A LIVING WORLD, and 3) BEING TREATED LIKE AN EXPERIENCED GAMER. (All-caps for thread skimmers.)

Also, I wouldn't mind Zelda games copying Demon's Souls online layer: Summon helpful phantoms in the form of multi-colored Links via the Four Sword! Have your game invaded by malicious players in the form of Shadow Link! Leave helpful or hindering messages in the game world for others to find! And so on...

So GAF... Time for a routine "WHAT WE WANT IN ZELDA" chat.

Well, I just got off the phone with Miyamoto and he just wanted me to relay a message to you

"HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAAAAAAAA"

Shion

That's all nice and everything... but Skyward Sword already took Nintendo 5+ years to develop. This here with all that stuff looks like a 10 year cycle.
That's because of motion controls.
Nintendo focused too much on the execution of motion controls and less in the game itself.
They used the normal wiimote at first they later abandoned it in favor of motion+ etc.

You're right that such a game would need a lot of work. But it's about time the series becomes ambitious again. Zelda games were always ambitious and there was always a vision for something big behind them. In my opinion, this is completely lost in recent Zelda games.

You want an upgraded Darksiders 2 for the next zelda?
I haven't played Darksiders 2 yet, but I guess I should:p

I wouldn't mind if Monolith were to design the overworld, the way it's traversed or the menu system in a Zelda game. No siree. I would not mind that at all. What they did in Xenoblade was amazing. They just cut out all the annoying crap that gets between the player and their fun and they did it with one simple solution - they just decided to not include the unfun bits.

Take quick travel for instance. Xenoblade removed the frustration and tedium that comes from backtracking through areas you'd already been to go exploring by simply letting you teleport close to your destination and it let's you do it at any time from the menu. Think you missed a cave waaaay back in the first area and want to check it out, but don't want to spend ten minutes crossing the game world to do it? In Xenoblade you do that no worries. In modern Zelda games, you just can't be bothered because, let's be honest, it could just be nothing and getting there to find out is a gigantic pain in the arse.

Even if quick travel in a Zelda game is dressed up like it was in MM, it results in an amazingly lean game. The fact that you couldn't just teleport between bird statues in the same province in SS, but had to go to the sky, then turn around on your loftwing, then dive back down the pillar of light you came from so you could choose where to land from a menu was such bullshit. Just let me teleport already! If I wanted to go exploring a place I'd already been, I'd explore it from the waypoint you let me teleport from.

I just think Zelda (and Pokemon, for that matter) have just got too much fat that doesn't need to be there and it's a result of nobody paying attention to the fact that the interface can be frustrating.

Take the interface of the potion shop in SS for instance - in order to get an upgraded potion, you have to stand in front of a particular pot, then talk to the shop keeper, she'll talk and delay you for five seconds, you say yes and you get your potion. Next, you walk to her husband, who'll have a spiel of his own, ask for some bugs and infuse your potion, then give you a closing spiel before giving you your potion and letting you go.

The whole process takes about two minutes, which is about 100 seconds longer than it needs to be and you're going to do this dozens of times throughout the course of the game, which is at least a half hour wasted watching the same animation and reading the same scrolling text over and over. Why couldn't the process have been 1) talk to potion shop owner 2) choose your upgraded potion from a menu and 3) fork over your cash and bugs at the same time and be done?

Zelda team still needs to do the dungeons though, given that TP, ST and SS had these AMAZING dungeon designs.

TL;DR - Make the decision making process in Zelda games snappy. Add quick travel. That is all.

If they ever go open world I hope they fill it and make it interesting, traversing skyrim and discovering locations for the first time, without the ability to warp there yet was torturous to play and to watch... A colossal waste of time.

They need to make a 3d hyrule as tight and charming as link to the past's. They haven't come close yet.

IrishNinja

as usual, viciouskillersquirrel has some good points. we always talk about how annoying rediscovering items was, but those are great examples too.

You want an upgraded Darksiders 2 for the next zelda?

i'm hopeful for DS2, but this analogy really needs to cease.
it's like that weird "MAKE THE NEXT SOULS GAME A ZELDA" shit we had for a while here earlier this gen...highlight the gaming aspects you think got it right, but don't pretend they're the same experiences on the same tier here.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
i'm hopeful for DS2, but this analogy really needs to cease.
it's like that weird "MAKE THE NEXT SOULS GAME A ZELDA" shit we had for a while here earlier this gen...highlight the gaming aspects you think got it right, but don't pretend they're the same experiences on the same tier here.

My bad you are right I enjoyed the first DS more than any of the 3d zeldas. Sorry about that.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
My bad you are right I enjoyed the first DS more than any of the 3d zeldas. Sorry about that.

and-here-we-go-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-1271.gif

The Boat

I'm of the opinion that if you worry too much about wishlists, fan fiction and having things exactly the way you want them, it gets hard to enjoy good (or excellent) things for what they are.
Not that I'm saying to abandon critical thinking.

Yeah, I'm not sure why OoT's tutorial is always spared from criticism, when it was unbearably tedious.

You can skip most of it in subsequent playthroughs (since most of the explanations are on signs you don't need to read/from NPC you can ignore), and at the time of release what it taught you wasn't obvious shit.

Compare with the instructor in SS that tells you how to dash jump on crates AND will give you shit for ignoring him when you're just passing by.

eXistor

What the op wants sounds amazing, it's never gonna happen, but it' sounds great. It's what I've wanted Zelda to be for a long, long time; a return to the structure of Zelda 1. The overworld doesn't have to be huge, just dense. I still love the Zelda games and had an absolutely blast with Skyward Sword, but it's not an adventure game anymore, they don;t want the player to do any exploring on their own. It's the way Nintendo envisioned it or nothing.

I would love for Nintendo to take a look at what From Software has done with both King's Field and the Souls games, this is what a Zelda game needs to be structured like (Dark Souls comes closest) and the funny thing is, Zelda 1 and to a lesser extent, Zelda 2 are like that. The older, more difficult and less handholding Zelda's are amongst the better selling ones too, so why not take a little risk and go for broke? I've a feeling Zelda U is gonna be Twilight Princess 2.0 though and that would be a shame.

btw lol@people thinking Darksiders even comes close to any Zelda...well maybe ST and PH. It's an okay game, but come on, really?

Dr.Hadji

I wouldn't mind if Monolith were to design the overworld, the way it's traversed or the menu system in a Zelda game. No siree. I would not mind that at all. What they did in Xenoblade was amazing. They just cut out all the annoying crap that gets between the player and their fun and they did it with one simple solution - they just decided to not include the unfun bits.

When people say this they mean visually right? Because I'l take my gameplay filled environments over the pretty scenery of Xenoblade anytime.

What the op wants sounds amazing, it's never gonna happen, but it' sounds great. It's what I've wanted Zelda to be for a long, long time; a return to the structure of Zelda 1. The overworld doesn't have to be huge, just dense. I still love the Zelda games and had an absolutely blast with Skyward Sword, but it's not an adventure game anymore, they don;t want the player to do any exploring on their own. It's the way Nintendo envisioned it or nothing.

Zelda isn't an action adventure game anymore? I'd love for someone to tell me what I've been playing then.

I just realised I haven't beat a Zelda since Twilight Princess. The DS games and SS pretty much killed any enthusiasm I had for the series. It's hard to see how things are going to change any time soon.

Twilight Princess is my favourite Zelda, in spite of it's atrocious opening, but the next game just being Ocarina 3 (or 4) would be hard to get excited about too. And I just can't see Nintendo making major changes that don't involve controller gimmicks.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
btw lol@people thinking Darksiders even comes close to any Zelda...well maybe ST and PH. It's an okay game, but come on, really?

Yes I played OoT for the first time on 3ds after I already played Darksiders and I found it dull as hell. Hitting the field the first time felt cool though. I liked the exploration feel of it but everything else was so damn dated feeling. A timeless game it is not. The requirements for what people consider the best games ever NEED to be able to be picked up by anyone at any point and for them to enjoy it with out feeling limited from restrictions of it's era.

Zelda isn't an action adventure game anymore? I'd love for someone to tell me what I've been playing then.
They are and they are still the blueprint for the genre.

Twilight Princess is my favourite Zelda, in spite of it's atrocious opening, but the next game just being Ocarina 3 (or 4) would be hard to get excited about too. And I just can't see Nintendo making major changes that don't involve controller gimmicks.

I just want them to make a proper 3d Link to the Past. It doesn't have to copy pasta the formula but god damn give the feeling back. The closest we got was Wind Waker but that game was unfinished and it showed =/

Ambitious

I always assumed it was to make it easier for the youngsters. Back when I was a kid, none of us had a clue how to play "that weird Zelda game." Today's games need to be fairly accessible to even the youngest and all that. Difficulty modes wouldn't be a bad thing at this point.

Zelda appeals to many people who have next to no puzzle solving skills and need the handholding. It should be optional though. A simple, "you can disable tips by going to the start menu" option would alleviate a lot.

I'm not having a problem with making games accessible in general (it's a good thing, obviously), it's just that they go too far, at least in that specific example. Like I wrote, this was in the final dungeon of the game, with many similar and/or harder puzzles existing in previous dungeons.
And instead of giving the player some time to try for himself and giving him some hint if he can't manage it, they give you two hints AND the solution beforehand. The only thing left to figure out is that you have to use the boomerang.

I just want them to make a proper 3d Link to the Past. It doesn't have to copy pasta the formula but god damn give the feeling back. The closest we got was Wind Waker but that game was unfinished and it showed =/

Ocarina felt more like LttP than Wind Waker, to me. Wind Waker's stupid sea stuff makes it feel unique, in its own "this is a bad idea" category.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Ocarina felt more like LttP than Wind Waker, to me. Wind Waker's stupid sea stuff makes it feel unique, in its own "this is a bad idea" category.

Yeah the structure was similar, almost copy paste in ways, but I ment it more in the openness feel of the game. The problem I had with OoT is just that the game itself was held back by the platform and it being 3d, toss in the fact it was mega sucessful and now we are stuck with it's offspring.

The fact OoT was originally planned to follow in the roots of Zelda 2 until they changed it up saddens me even more. Imagine, we could of had smash bros link in our zelda games :(

So you want Dark Souls with a Zelda skin? I'd be down for that.
The combat yes, the rest of the game eh doesn't work with zelda. It's pretty much an extreme version of what they wanted from the 3d zelda combat system to begin with.

Bedlam

Nope. Not letting you start with all core items/abilities is a necessary key design aspect in Zelda-like and Metroidvania games.

I think people like the OP don't understand good game design.

It's the feeling of progression that is extremely motivating in games like Zelda, Metroid etc. Introducing new elements in regular intervals also keeps the experience interesting. Having all core items from the start would take all that away.

It's also very evident in the Batman (AA,AC) games. Arkham City started you with more key abilities and, subsequently, the character progression aspect felt way weaker and less interesting in that game. If in Symphony of the Night, they had allowed you to continue with fully equipped Alucard instead of stripping him of basically everything a few minutes into the game, the experience wouldn't have been nearly as satisfying as well. These games are about finding "stuff".

he does have a point though

Only if your mechanics are transparent and intuitive+ the game invites and rewards experimenting around.

If there's lots of obtuse and unexplained sub-systems, yet the game punishes you for experimentation and trying things out, it's shit design. You know something's fucked up when a game is better with an online wiki open at your side (hi From Software).

How does Dark Souls punish experimentation and playing without the wiki? Only thing I can think of is putting a bunch of points into resistance without knowing it's useless.

The combat yes, the rest of the game eh doesn't work with zelda. It's pretty much an extreme version of what they wanted from the 3d zelda combat system to begin with.

They shouldn't hold the player's hand is what I mean. After the game intro, you are never interrupted in Dark Souls. You are playing from start to finish, literally.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
How does Dark Souls punish experimentation and playing without the wiki? Only thing I can think of is putting a bunch of points into resistance without knowing it's useless.

Wasn't the countless builds on the wiki FROM experimentation? The game lets you be creative, you just have to know what ingredients to cook with and what mixes with the stew.

Shit i have 8 different dark souls characters I've made over time. Not one plays like the other.

They shouldn't hold the player's hand is what I mean. After the game intro, you are never interrupted in Dark Souls. You are playing from start to finish, literally.
Oh my bad you ment like that. Then yes I fully agree. Outside some narrative and events things should be hand holds free.

Nope. Not letting you start with all core items/abilities is a necessary key design aspect in Zelda-like and Metroidvania games.

I think people like the OP don't understand good game design.

It's the feeling of progression that is extremely motivating in games like Zelda, Metroid etc. Introducing new elements in regular intervals also keeps the experience interesting. Having all core items from the start would take all that away.

It's also very evident in the Batman (AA,AC) games. Arkham City started you with more key abilities and, subsequently, the character progression aspect felt way weaker and less interesting in that game. If in Symphony of the Night, they had allowed you to continue with fully equipped Alucard instead of stripping him of basically everything a few minutes into the game, the experience wouldn't have been nearly as satisfying as well. These games are about finding "stuff".

Items don't make you feel powerful in modern Zelda. All they do is act as keys to allow access to new areas. They can find ways of doing that without the generic "gain an item each dungeon!" shit.

Wasn't the countless builds on the wiki FROM experimentation? The game lets you be creative, you just have to know what ingredients to cook with and what mixes with the stew.

Shit i have 8 different dark souls characters I've made over time. Not one plays like the other.

What I meant was that you can't accidentally create a useless build that prevents you from beating the game. My first build was actually created on my own without any wiki consult. It was hella powerful. You can obviously create a whole bunch of different style characters, but they'd all be capable.

Oh my bad you ment like that. Then yes I fully agree. Outside some narrative and events things should be hand holds free.

Yeah, I think after OOT and MM, the series is just too dumbed down. They're so afraid to let the player fail or do something that doesn't assure their immediate victory. I felt like TP was playing me more than I was playing TP. And SS is apparently even more dumbed down.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
What I meant was that you can't accidentally create a useless build that prevents you from beating the game. My first build was actually created on my own without any wiki consult. It was hella powerful. You can obviously create a whole bunch of different style characters, but they'd all be capable.

Oh you can, say if you were dumb enough to not use any logic and put 1 point into each stat evenly. Although the game is possible to beat naked :p

Well, it's not. Wiki-playing Dark Souls is meant for subsequent playthroughs. The first playthrough should be on your own. Sure, you won't have a perfect character build, you won't discover every secret... but it's much more satisfying than playing with a guide. Playing with a guide first is just lame, you might as well just watch a let's play on yt.
I agree 100% I played the shit out of dark souls on release, did I have a wiki open? Fuck no I didn't. Shit I even made a video showing how to get through that low frame rate shit zone in 2 minutes or less. Using a wiki to learn what stats do or how crafting works. Ok I'll give you a pass for that. Using it for zones bosses and items in the map. Fuck no what was the point in even playing

Bedlam

You know something's fucked up when a game is better with an online wiki open at your side (hi From Software).
Well, it's not. Wiki-playing Dark Souls is meant for subsequent playthroughs. The first playthrough should be played on your own. Sure, you won't have a perfect character build, you won't discover every secret... but it's much more satisfying than playing with a guide. Playing with a guide first is just lame, you might as well just watch a let's play on yt.

The one thing that I agree with in this regard is the crafting system in Dark Souls. That should've been explained better by an NPC or so.

Bedlam

Items don't make you feel powerful in modern Zelda. All they do is act as keys to allow access to new areas. They can find ways of doing that without the generic "gain an item each dungeon!" shit.
Progression doesn't just mean "more powerful". It's also satisfying when you can finally traverse terrain that you couldn't before etc.

I'm also talking about old Zelda mainly. I never touched Skyward Sword, I did play WW and TP but both games lost me near the end, could never be bothered to finish them. My favorites are Link's Awakening and ALTTP, of course.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Tutorials shouldn't be skippable, they should be invisible. Big difference. (see: Portal)

I agree with the poster who said they should incorporate Xenoblade's instant travel system. Fuck, A Link to the Past had a similar system partway through the game (the flute). Also, Zelda games need to focus less on being big and more on "feeling big" (see: Wind Waker).

The Boat

I agree with the poster who said they should incorporate Xenoblade's instant travel system. Fuck, A Link to the Past had a similar system partway through the game (the flute). Also, Zelda games need to focus less on being big and more on "feeling big" (see: Wind Waker).
Every single 3D Zelda has a travel system like ALttP.
About your second point SS does exactly that, I would even argue WW IS big and doesn't just feel like it. It's also empty though.

sonicmj1

Jac_Solar: I appreciate your input. I guess when I say the individual dungeons could have self-contained stories, what I'm thinking of is something along the lines of the Deku Princess in Woodfall Temple (MM), or saving the Gorons in the Fire Temple (OoT), and so on. In other words, you get "character" in the form of interacting with the NPCs in the dungeon as you help them resolve their current crisis, and then in the grand scheme of things the good you do there will add up to the end-game conclusion, factoring into how the larger plot resolves itself (along with the plots of the other dungeons).

I think it's interesting to have these discussions because it maybe helps us better understand what created the Zelda series' magic in the first place, and maybe what needs to happen again for more of that to come back for the people who aren't seeing it much these days.

That sounds like a great way to discourage people from leaving difficult dungeons.

Honestly, I think the open dungeon idea is just poor. The original Zelda didn't do it, and Demon's Souls and Dark Souls don't do it. There's a good reason for that; it almost always leads to a poor difficulty curve or poor design. If it's built into an open world, this becomes even more likely; nobody wants to run all the way across the map to get to the easier stuff if they stumble into something hard.

When I hear about open-world, everything-unlocked games, I think of stuff like Prince of Persia 2008, which had an awful difficulty curve and a plot forced into stasis since the player could access it in any order. Or Just Cause 2, which is full of samey objectives of identical difficulty. Or you could imagine a version of Shadow of the Colossus where the bosses could show up in any order. That's not what Zelda is or should be.

Zelda has already done quasi-open stuff, using the open world as a gating mechanism to hide tiers of dungeons. LTTP is pretty linear, but it allows some out-of-order stuff due to its overworld. OoT does similar stuff in its back half. Demon's Souls consists of 5 linear tracks, and Dark Souls forces the player to complete certain areas to unlock others. That gives the designer a better expectation of the player's strength in each area, and it gives the player a more real sense of progression; their dungeon progress allows them to reach new areas and dungeons that were inaccessible before, areas which require their new skills. Without this, the areas that players find in the overworld with their new items can only consist of things that strengthen the player's existing abilities, instead of opening new paths.

Skyward Sword's handholding was pretty infuriating, but it's not that hard a problem to fix. With a less overbearing story track and fewer forced interruptions, that game would already take a much different feel. All Zelda needs to do is put a little more trust in the player's ingenuity, and it can recapture that sense of discovery.

Hindle

Banned
Making an HD Zelda is bound to cost them a lot of money, what with the graphics and the detail. I look at how much GTA 4 cost and Red Dead or even Skyrim and I do wonder if they are willing to spend that amount of money.

Yes I played OoT for the first time on 3ds after I already played Darksiders and I found it dull as hell. Hitting the field the first time felt cool though. I liked the exploration feel of it but everything else was so damn dated feeling. A timeless game it is not. The requirements for what people consider the best games ever NEED to be able to be picked up by anyone at any point and for them to enjoy it with out feeling limited from restrictions of it's era.

Plenty of people did just that judging by the thread we had here, you might just be in the minority and probably wouldn't have liked it back in 98 either.

Silvawuff

Zelda-flavored Skyrim? Sure!

Interesting idea, OP -- but part of the charm and "formula" of Zelda is the progression of equipment (same deal with Metroid), since the only other character growth to speak of is the collection of heart containers.

Starting the game with all of the tools would a boring game make.

stuminus3

I can't think of anything that would be more boring than an open world Zelda game à la Elder Scrolls. I love Elder Scrolls games. But that's not what I want from Zelda.

Lothar

Banned
When Zelda goes HD, it needs to be an open world title like the NES original. Right from the start, you can wander off in any direction. Scattered around the world are, oh, let's say 16 dungeons. Some you see in the distance, like a tower on a hill, and the trick is getting there. Others, you stumble upon by accident: a hole in the ground gives way to tunnels; tunnels to caves; caves to the entrance of an underground temple.

I've been saying this since Ocarina came out in 1998. Zelda should always be about freedom and exploration. This is probably the reason why the only 3D Zelda I really like is Wind Waker. I thought with Wind Waker they learned from their mistakes, but no, in the next Zelda game they went back to a bland overworld with no exploration.

at a certain point you stop making changing to a series and start just throwing a familiar coat of paint over what's basically a new IP.

you've reached that point.

Well this is the most idiotic thing I've read this morning. Why even comment on the thread if you never played the original Zelda?

Progression doesn't just mean "more powerful". It's also satisfying when you can finally traverse terrain that you couldn't before etc.

I'm also talking about old Zelda mainly. I never touched Skyward Sword, I did play WW and TP but both games lost me near the end, could never be bothered to finish them. My favorites are Link's Awakening and ALTTP, of course.

You can do that in ways that don't involve having to unlock the boomerang or the arrow. The game would be more fun if those items were fundamental to the most basic combat. Giving the player them at the start of the game, and making them necessary at all points, not just for puzzle solving, would be a much better situation.

Jac_Solar

Jac_Solar: I appreciate your input. I guess when I say the individual dungeons could have self-contained stories, what I'm thinking of is something along the lines of the Deku Princess in Woodfall Temple (MM), or saving the Gorons in the Fire Temple (OoT), and so on. In other words, you get "character" in the form of interacting with the NPCs in the dungeon as you help them resolve their current crisis, and then in the grand scheme of things the good you do there will add up to the end-game conclusion, factoring into how the larger plot resolves itself (along with the plots of the other dungeons).

I think it's interesting to have these discussions because it maybe helps us better understand what created the Zelda series' magic in the first place, and maybe what needs to happen again for more of that to come back for the people who aren't seeing it much these days.

But would that be in addition to the main questline dungeons, or would the only dungeons in the game be seperate, individual adventures, featuring their own stories? That's where I don't agree with you, if it is indeed what you are saying.

Anyhow, if they were going to make a massive, open world Zelda with main quests, side quests, towns, dungeons, etc, I think they would have to make it an overhead view game, like Titan Quest -- IMO; that's the only way they could make a massive world, have tons of items, mechanics, etc. in a next gen game.

hachi

Banned
Associating the original Zelda with contemporary "open world" games is a misunderstanding of the franchise.

It's certainly true that the first game was more open in construction than the later entries and even allowed sequence breaking, but it was still organized around a set of cryptic puzzles (whistle on the map to open a passage, figure out old man's ridde-like clues, etc) and a lock-and-key set of items that open up additional passages on the map. The core of the game wasn't grinding or leveling, it was more a matter of successively discovering the carefully placed secrets of the map while keeping your eyes open for places you'll need to revisit once you have the correct items.

In subsequent games, the puzzles in the dungeons quickly developed into an even more elaborate clockwork of elements. When you enter a Zelda dungeon, you know that:
  1. You won't be unable to proceed due to not bringing something along, because you cannot enter a dungeon if you don't have the right equipment;
  2. Everything you see and cannot solve will eventually be solvable once you figure out the workings of the dungeon and obtain the item; and
  3. The new item will be introduced to you by a series of elements in which the basic concept appears first, then a slight twist, then an extension of the idea that requires you to have a little ingenuity.

At the core of the Zelda franchise is a carefully constructed and perfectly arranged design of interlocking elements in a series of dungeons. But you cannot achieve that kind of clever structuring in an "open world" game; in fact, the basic design elements at play in Zelda are deeply antagonistic to the principles of contemporary open world games.

(While I'm at it: Link's Awakening might just be the perfect 2D Zelda, with its perfectly constructed dungeons and puzzles. That is the culmination of what the first LoZ set in motion, not "open world" grinding and wandering.)

ahaha...almost the worst opinion in this thread, but then

ibg0And9cKS3FE.gif

page 1 tried tackling the "zelda fans don't know what they want", page 3 shows why that effort failed

I would say without a doubt that both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are better than any 3D Zelda game to come out. While they're not without their own flaws, they have better combat, more challenging stages and bosses, don't bog the game down with long as fuck openings or tutorials, and have gotten way more replays from me than any other Zelda game I've played to date (even the first two, which are my personal favorites).

This isn't to say I want Zelda to be like the Souls games, but I would appreciate the Zelda series taking pointers from the series about the appropriate level of hand-holding one should expect from a game.

All of these thoughts on the series sound neat. While I found Skyward Sword mildly disappointing, I don't see the series as stagnant, but I wouldn't mind seeing any of these ideas implemented in some way.

That said, I'm way more interested in seeing what's done with Zelda's 3DS efforts. It'll be the first handheld Zelda in eight years to not use touch screen controls, and it could end up being the change that the OP and others want.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
ahaha...almost the worst opinion in this thread, but then

page 1 tried tackling the "zelda fans don't know what they want", page 3 shows why that effort failed

But I'm not a "Zelda Fan" and I do know what I expect from these games. Don't tell me you actually think OoT is one of the best games ever even to this very day? Cause that's just silly.

At the time it was a pretty major thing with some of the stuff it did and the scope of it all but that's you know AT IT'S TIME and very few things hold up to being able last the trial of time and game mechanics evolving and giving a richer experiences.

aLttP is a wonderful example of just that.

AntMurda

I would say without a doubt that both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are better than any 3D Zelda game to come out. While they're not without their own flaws, they have better combat, more challenging stages and bosses, don't bog the game down with long as fuck openings or tutorials, and have gotten way more replays from me than any other Zelda game I've played to date (even the first two, which are my personal favorites).

This isn't to say I want Zelda to be like the Souls games, but I would appreciate the Zelda series taking pointers from the series about the appropriate level of hand-holding one should expect from a game.

Even though there is combat in Zelda games, Nintendo has never really made the combat something you worry about. Actually Zelda 2 (one of my favorites), had possibly the greatest action difficulty. It is something that could completely change the negative attributes some have towards the series.

But acknowledging the complacent combat system, which is one of the big changes they can make in the series, the star of Zelda games has always been the dungeon design. The dungeon design is unparallel, no game touches the 3D dungeon design that EAD pulls out on those games.

Dark Souls is such a different game and about a completely different type of experience.

Top Bottom