• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I want to get excited for the future of Xbox but Microsoft aren't helping

mujun

I'm keeping mine for Horizon 3 and Sunset Overdrive. Also looking forward to Crackdown 3. That's about it. My PS4 gets 5 times the attention and Switch has a great first year software-wise for me, personally.

They want mega bucks while keeping investment low. That might work when they are on top and their IP was at the top but take those two away and you see what happens. They want a massive return on Xbox but fail to invest enough in creativity and in the right properties. Xbox One originally was basically a gold mine for services and advertising, that was their dream, an always online connected media experience that profiles users and interactive for better ad engagement and give us 60 bucks for Gold. It was a billion dollar smart TV idea based in the 90s Windows bubble for the living room and home, no surprise there.

I just can't understand this. They invest billions into the xbox business. If they want to keep investment low they have already failed. Surely if you're going to invest these huge sums of money into the xbox brand you should go a little further and have a strong 1st party to keep the brand strong. It wouldn't be nearly as big of an investment as what they spend making Xbox HW and advertising it.

spannicus

Xbox is pretty much dead. I don't think the Scorpio would save them. It's either PC, PS Pro, or the Switch for the next few years. Unless Microsoft comes out with some better exclusives.
Dead my ass. Allowing pc gamers to play console exclusives without having to buy a new console. Allowing dual owners to play where they choose for the price of one. Allowing newcomers to have a nice library of games for 10 bucks a month. Constantly upgrading OS giving users what they want. Constantly improving their hardware. Able to play your old games without paying for them again. Coming up with new ips and keeping old ones relevant.Acknowledging their faults so that they can deliver more of what gamers want. About to drop a bad ass console giving console players their daily dose of graphic whoredom.
Seems alive to me.

Whats the competition seriously doing other than having a decent run of first party games? I dont think Microsoft is doomed, they just need to focus more on new ips or make their message more clear.

Why? I'm not the biggest Nintendo fan, but I expect Switch to do at least 50-60m in 5 years.
Everything else will be a huge failure after 75m combined sales of WiiU and 3DS. So yes, if Scorpio doesn't set the world on fire, Nintendo should be able grab that second place easily.
Does it really matter, is a different story, though.

I really doubt that the Switch will sell even remotely close to 50-60 million in five years. I sometimes wonder if it will perform better than the Wii U because to me the Switch doesn't really seem like it is offering that much more than the Wii U at this point and the primary reason to own the Switch is on the Wii U also. What Switch has over the Wii U is the portability and much better advertising, but I am not sure if that is enough when they . If they do miraculously pull through and sell an admirable amount of consoles, I just do not see them passing Microsoft when they have about 30 million consoles already out there with numbers increasing by the day. Not to the magnitude of PS4, but enough where I think they could still be considered a threat, at least in the West. Switch will probably do well in Japan, but I think it is too early to consider the Switch a bonafide success to the point where they can easily procure second place where Microsoft still receives games that can push hardware.

I do understand where the OP is coming from though. Day by day, I see the plethora of really good Sony exclusives gracing their system and then it seems like Microsoft gotten to a point where their exclusives are thinning out. The main problem is Microsoft's fickle demographic who think any games that do not cater to the familiar territory of the "bro", multiplayer, shooter games are weird and not worth their time. I doubt Sea of Thieves, CupHead or Crackdown are going to change that tradition also. Generally XBox gamers who see something like Guilty Gear, Gravity Rush, Nier or Persona immediately state, heh, anime sucks!!!! I think Microsoft will be fine, at least for a while. Microsoft probably also figure, if 90% of our demographic do not care for these types of experiences when has been proven in statistics, why are going to go fight and pony up cash for them if there is rarely a return investment? While they do lack exclusives, they at least get most of the major third party games which most mainstream gamers want to play and as long as those keep coming, they will probably be at a decent position for a while imo. Microsoft really do need to concentrate on some new IP's and exclusives though.

paulogy

This could go one of many ways, but I think in order to succeed Scorpio has to deliver on Games and Price.

Games:
Phil has said numerous times that all Scorpio games will also be on Xbox One (and probably Windows 10). So Scorpio will certainly look good, but still not better than the highest end Windows 10 PC, so what is its exclusive advantage? Will we see Scorpio games at launch that don't release for Xbox One until a month later? Forced in-ecosystem exclusivity?

Price:
I think this thing has to launch at $399, but I fear it won't. I fear $499 or even the dreaded $599 (learning nothing from the PS3 era) but we will see. This is of course directly proportional to how much of a "Premium" upgrade it is. If it's not much of a leap forward, just so it can meet the cost of PS4 Pro, I think it will fail. If it's too huge a leap forward just to dazzle with graphics, you price yourself out of the race.

It will be very interesting to see at E3 (or prior) how they chose to balance this.

Dead my ass. Allowing pc gamers to play console exclusives without having to buy a new console. Allowing dual owners to play where they choose for the price of one. Allowing newcomers to have a nice library of games for 10 bucks a month. Constantly upgrading OS giving users what they want. Constantly improving their hardware. Able to play your old games without paying for them again. Coming up with new ips and keeping old ones relevant.Acknowledging their faults so that they can deliver more of what gamers want. About to drop a bad ass console giving console players their daily dose of graphic whoredom.
Seems alive to me.

Whats the competition seriously doing other than having a decent run of first party games? I dont think Microsoft is doomed, they just need to focus more on new ips or make their message more clear.

jesus...

Seems alive to me.

Isn't that one of the factors that is hurting the XBox console though? Then again, I guess technically it is all going to the same pot for Microsoft anyway.

This could go one of many ways, but I think in order to succeed Scorpio has to deliver on Games and Price.

Games:
Phil has said numerous times that all Scorpio games will also be on Xbox One (and probably Windows 10). So Scorpio will certainly look good, but still not better than the highest end Windows 10 PC, so what is its exclusive advantage? Will we see Scorpio games at launch that don't release for Xbox One until a month later? Forced in-ecosystem exclusivity?

Price:
I think this thing has to launch at $399, but I fear it won't. I fear $499 or even the dreaded $599 (learning nothing from the PS3 era) but we will see. This is of course directly proportional to how much of a "Premium" upgrade it is. If it's not much of a leap forward, just so it can meet the cost of PS4 Pro, I think it will fail. If it's too huge a leap forward just to dazzle with graphics, you price yourself out of the race.

It will be very interesting to see at E3 (or prior) how they chose to balance this.

Realistically, I think it will launch at $499, but they might be able to pull off $399 since most consoles over $400 rarely see mainstream success. They still have their XBox S to bring in sales so the Scorpio could just be the higher end, premium product for the gaming enthusiasts just like the PS4 Pro is for Sony.

Papacheeks

Banned
Whats the problem am i lying or something.
Or do you just need jesus. If so i can help you with that.

The numbers don't lie in how many people actually play old games on xbox one. That's a cool feature but not a main selling point. Main selling point should always be games.

And MS is lacking really bad in the diversity of types of games on their platform. And that falls on them and their poor relations outside of regions they are popular in.
They cultivated a more western type box, and didn't double down on PC developers to make new IP's or acquire them. Bioware might be making higher quality games with more originality if nurtured better. If they were bought in the early years MS would never have to worry about developers like Naughty Dog, Santa Monica.

MS has a problem and I don't think hardware will fix that. Software is what they should be focusing on.
If they show off a bunch of great looking new IP's then maybe that will shed some light on the brand. But as it stands now it does not look good.

spannicus

Isn't that one of the factors that is hurting the XBox console though? Then again, I guess technically it is all going to the same pot for Microsoft anyway.
Not if you cant afford a decent gaming pc. When i built my gaming rig i spent around 2 grand more or less. Some would rather spend a few hundred for an xbox one or Scorpio with similar specs as a decent gaming pc. Good for people who play on PC as they no longer have to start petitions to bring those games to pc lol.

Come to think of it, Xbox has seemed kinda nonexistent the past few months. PS4 had a ton of exclusive games lately such as nier, nioh, horizon and yakuza, not to mention Nintendo had a great launch with Switch and is sold out everywhere.

Meanwhile Xbox is in a corner by itself. Hopefully they have something exciting to announce at E3 besides said upgraded system.

Zaventem

Realistically, I think it will launch at $499, but they might be able to pull off $399 since most consoles over $400 rarely see mainstream success. They still have their XBox S to bring in sales so the Scorpio could just be the higher end, premium product for the gaming enthusiasts just like the PS4 Pro is for Sony.

They have enough in the bank to force their way into the console industry so they have enough to take a loss on a console to release. People saying $499 after the reception xbox one price reveal got are kidding themselves.

paulogy

I think this is exactly what may happen, especially based on the comments Phil made in that IGN interview. But if that's the case Scorpio wouldn't move the needle much and may not be enough to recover what some view as a deficit this generation.

spannicus

They have enough in the bank to force their way into the console industry so they have enough to take a loss on a console to release. People saying $499 after the reception xbox one price reveal got are kidding themselves.
Im thinking 499 will be the price as well. Once again Microsoft is calling Scorpio a premium console for hardcore enthusiasts. Just like the elite controller compared to standard. What is it like 60 compared to 150? Like others have stated Microsoft could lower the price of the one s if they had to. Those who want more power and 4k blah blah will upgrade to scorpio.
For 150 dollars the elite controller sold pretty well and that was just a controller. Shit i bought 2.

paulogy

This argument never works for me. If they wanted to drop the price just to move more units and become the sales leader this generation, they could make Xbox One S $199. It would fly off the shelves. But they haven't. So why would that start with Scorpio?

Melchiah

roofles, they matter now. that at this time PS4 has more, we will see if the narrative changes this fall as the past few years did.

Putting all bets on the holidays hasn't really worked that well, has it? It's been the same for the past few years, with sparse releases outside the fleeting season.

scoobs

Seems alive to me.

Ya, about those new IPs they've come up with... Microsoft has done everything well since the disastrous launch of the XB1, except for new IP. First party efforts this generation are ... lacking.

Zaventem

To paulogy and spannicus, i think the xbox one already has a fair bit of negativity surounding it that never really disappeared after the E3 fuck up and game cancellations, simply lowering the price, while can push numbers is only a small part of why it isn't as atractive to customers as a PS4 and needs more than a discount to gain mindshare. A new console brings a new chance to prove they're taking things in a better direction. Writing this i gave it second thoughts and while i think it can be priced higher, $499 isn't the ideal point you want to shoot for imo. In regards to the PS4 pro being sony's "premium" console it just took the price point the standard PS4 was selling at while reducing the price of the OG and it still had a lackluster sales response from consumers.

Seems alive to me.

The most important part is what they are doing.

roofles, they matter now. that at this time PS4 has more, we will see if the narrative changes this fall as the past few years did.

Honestly, I still do not think they matter as much as people claim. Don't get me wrong, certain exclusives can be more beneficial for broad, world-wide appeal, but if you get the traditional and popular multiplatform games like COD, Battlefield, Destiney, Overwatch, GTA5, etc, I think you will satiate most casual gamers, especially if you have a good price point. Right now, the PS4 has a significant amount of exclusives over the XBox one, but unless I am very inaccurate, aren't the sales still fairly comparable to each other excluding a few regions(Japan especially)? For example, didn't PS4 and XBox one see approximately 1.5 million sales in the month of December this Christmas?

eerik9000

Seems alive to me.

Well... Sony just released Playstation 4 Pro and Playstation VR. Nintendo just released Switch. Sony is also constantly improving PS4's OS and I expect Nintendo to do the same for Switch. Oh, and Sony did the cross-buy/-play/-save thing long before Microsoft's Play Anywhere.

Melchiah

The numbers don't lie in how many people actually play old games on xbox one. That's a cool feature but not a main selling point. Main selling point should always be games.

And MS is lacking really bad in the diversity of types of games on their platform. And that falls on them and their poor relations outside of regions they are popular in.
They cultivated a more western type box, and didn't double down on PC developers to make new IP's or acquire them. Bioware might be making higher quality games with more originality if nurtured better. If they were bought in the early years MS would never have to worry about developers like Naughty Dog, Santa Monica.

MS has a problem and I don't think hardware will fix that. Software is what they should be focusing on.
If they show off a bunch of great looking new IP's then maybe that will shed some light on the brand. But as it stands now it does not look good.

Not to mention, that now you can play Bioware's and Bungie's games on the PS4. That's two major selling points lost. It's also good for me personally, since Halo ran pretty bad on the 9700 Pro powered PC I had back in the day, and it was a pain in the ass to get ME1 to work on my laptop. I haven't owned a desktop PC since 2006, and I don't really like playing games on a laptop, so being able to play them on the console I have is great.

Honestly, I still do not think they matter as much as people claim. Don't get me wrong, certain exclusives can be more beneficial for broad, world-wide appeal, but if you get the traditional and popular multiplatform games like COD, Battlefield, Destiney, Overwatch, GTA5, etc, I think you will satiate most casual gamers, especially if you have a good price point. Right now, the PS4 has a significant amount of exclusives over the XBox one, but unless I am very inaccurate, aren't the sales still fairly comparable to each other excluding a few regions(Japan especially)? For example, didn't PS4 and XBox one see approximately 1.5 million sales in the month of December this Christmas?

The difference isn't that great in regions like US and UK, but there's a huge gap in the worldwide sales, particularly in mainland Europe and the emerging markets. The NPD figures are close, but globally the PS4 sells about twice as much as the XBO. The PS4 reached 53.4 million sold systems in January, and 6.2 million of those were sold in the holidays.

It would be pretty dang silly of them to launch Scorpio without any new software to show off on it. I'm sure they got something notable coming. Aren't Microsoft rather famously focused on the holidays every year anyway? It's always quiet this time of year for Xbox. No need to worry just yet.

If E3 is a bust, then it's probably time to seinfeld-leaving.gif.

Nestunt

The only reason I'm holding back on buying a PS4 Pro is because I feel like I should wait 3 more months and see what MS has to show me with the Scorpio.

But man, they better get some First Party promises and Third Party exclusives, because it's looking grim. And there is not a lot of exclusivity that can beat TLOU 2 or Death Stranding. Maybe Cyberpunk 2077; and that's tremendously more unlikely than Bloodborne 2.

Anticol

Banned

That's in the US alone where the gap is >1.5 in favour of PS but if you take in to consideration the sales around the world the PS4 has a leading gap of >30 million consoles. People thinking companies will make third party exclusives for the Scorpio just because it will be a more powerful console are delusional, the only way MS will have a third party exclusive of a big game is if they are willing to spend what it takes for it, even if MS sales the same amount of Scorpios as they have sold Xbones this generation it wont be enough to overtake the PS4, just to put it into perspective.

eerik9000

Ya, about those new IPs they've come up with... Microsoft has done everything well since the disastrous launch of the XB1, except for new IP. First party efforts this generation are ... lacking.

What are the new Microsoft IPs anyway? Sunset Overdrive is Insomniac Games, Ryse is Crytek. Quantum Break and ReCore? Project Spark and Screamride? None of them were developed by first party studios. Sea of Thieves will be the first one???

Tyaren

The only reason I'm holding back on buying a PS4 Pro is because I feel like I should wait 3 more months and see what MS has to show me with the Scorpio.

Whatever Microsoft will be showing, I doubt it will come anywhere close to the great lineup of games (most of them exclusives) that the PS4 already got and that are coming soon: UC: Lost Legcay, The Last of Us 2, God of War, Death Stranding, Spider-Man, Days Gone, Ni no Kuni 2, Dragon Quest XI...

I'm by the way someone who switched from Microsoft to Sony too this generation. Whereas the OG Xbox and Xbox360 were great main consoles for me, there is literally nothing exclusive, that I would want to play on the XboxOne.

MilkyJoe

Whatever Microsoft will be showing, I doubt it will come anywhere close to the great lineup of games (most of them exclusives) that the PS4 already got and that are coming soon: UC: Lost Legcay, The Last of Us 2, God of War, Death Stranding, Spider-Man, Days Gone, Ni no Kuni 2, Dragon Quest XI...

I'm by the way someone who switched from Microsoft to Sony too this generation. Whereas the OG Xbox and Xbox360 were great main consoles for me, there is literally nothing exclusive, that I would want to play on the XboxOne.

In contrast, if any in that list were coming to Xbox, I wouldn't buy them as they don't interest me. The only upcoming exclusives that interest me, on all platforms, are State of Decay 2 and Cuphead. Upcoming third party is too strong to worry about imminent exclusives, anyway.

Nestunt

I hear you. But I already have a vanilla PS4.

If MS got Cyberpunk 2077 exclusivity it would be enough to put Scorpio above a Pro purchase, for me. But that's 1 game with very unlikely chances of going exclusive. But hey, I can wait 3 months for their E3 sizzle reel.

In contrast, if any in that list were coming to Xbox, I wouldn't buy them as they don't interest me. The only upcoming exclusives that interest me, on all platforms, are State of Decay 2 and Cuphead. Upcoming third party is too strong to worry about imminent exclusives, anyway.

For me it is the exact opposite. Of announced games that I know of only Destiny 2, Red Dead Redemption 2, Resident Evil 2 Remake and couple of other multiplatforms really excite me. The rest are exclusives or have some form of exclusivity(FFVII Remake).

But man, they better get some First Party promises and Third Party exclusives, because it's looking grim. And there is not a lot of exclusivity that can beat TLOU 2 or Death Stranding. Maybe Cyberpunk 2077; and that's tremendously more unlikely than Bloodborne 2.

the reason i am holding off on a ps4 pro right now is i am waiting for MS to announce Scorpio pricing so that Sony will inevitably combat it with a USD299 pricing and then i can upgrade it from my launch PS4...

in this regard, i welcome the Scorpio because it will help push sony to price drop the Pro which is what i want.

Thanks Microsoft!

I hear you. But I already have a vanilla PS4.

If MS got Cyberpunk 2077 exclusivity it would be enough to put Scorpio above a Pro purchase, for me. But that's 1 game with very unlikely chances of going exclusive. But hey, I can wait 3 months for their E3 sizzle reel.

Why is it when someone mentions possible exclusives it is usually something completely outlandish like this?

Nestunt

Why is it when someone mentions possible exclusives it is usually something completely outlandish like this?

My point was precisely to show that only something outlandish can get MS on top form.

the reason i am holding off on a ps4 pro right now is i am waiting for MS to announce Scorpio pricing so that Sony will inevitably combat it with a USD299 pricing and then i can upgrade it from my launch PS4...

I don't believe Sony will cut the price so steeply. They are marketing the Pro as "premium". I can see 349 or 399 with a game, but not by that margin.

Im excited for Scorpio and finally getting good Xbox Hardware back. Tired of this constant shitting on XboxOne.

And im excited for the games coming this year from MS.

Cant say the same for Sony.

My point was precisely to show that only something outlandish can get MS on top form.

I don't believe Sony will cut the price so steeply. They are marketing the Pro as "premium". I can see 349 or 399 with a game, but not by that margin.

that's quite impossible. First, Witcher 3 sold 70% on consoles (30% PC). Even if the sales of the PS4 and Xbox one version is split (which is not, pass charts has shown PS4 version sold more), it will be a decent 35% each of the total witcher 3 sales....

Don't think CDProjekt is as dumb as Square Enix.

i don't think so too.....but who's to say that if MS surprised everyone with a $449 or $399 Scorpio...sony will definitely react to a lower price..

i am just glad that Scorpio release can get me a cheaper pro.

And no, i don't think i am getting a Scorpio. I am living in the 'what a xbox?' region known as Asia...:p

-Stranger-

Dream line up at E3

Ryse 2
Sunset Overdrive 2
Forza Motorsport 7
Ori 2
Crimson Skies
Mechassault 3
Panzer Dragoon Orta X (remaster)
Knights of the Old Republic 3
Lost Odyssey prequel
Halo 7
Alan Wake 2
Timed exclusive next gen Bioshock (Scorpio launch)

Nestunt

i don't think so too.....but who's to say that if MS surprised everyone with a $449 or $399 Scorpio...sony will definitely react to a lower price..

And no, i don't think i am getting a Scorpio. I am living in the 'what a xbox?' region known as Asia...:p

I also have my doubts that MS will price it above 399. If they do, that's one more sign that shows how disconnected they are from what sales consoles.

spannicus

Keep dreaming. You might get a cheap slim.

I also have my doubts that MS will price it above 399. If they do, that's one more sign that shows how disconnected they are from what sales consoles.

but MS has been pushing on the 'premium' aspect of scorpio.......unless MS is willing do take a loss on hardware....which will be idiotic business wise in this day and age....

the sane price is $499..

the 'surprise' price will be $449

$399 will be insane for them.....the xbox only gamers will celebrate of course but sony will just need to drop the pro to $299 (and the slim to $199) then.....

The console business is very price driven.....and price will make a HUGE difference in adoption rate..

scoobs

Hardware price means nothing to me. I know it can't be more than $499. I need to see some damn video games that make me want to buy the thing. Who cares about hardware if there aren't any exclusive video games that justify the existence of it.

Top Bottom