• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I want to get excited for the future of Xbox but Microsoft aren't helping

rockstars-agent-could-be-coming-to-xbox-360-2.jpg

Let's also not forget The Last Guardian was announced for the PS3 aswell.

Yeah, no. There's a difference between outright announcing a game that hadn't even begun development yet and announcing a game that then experiences tonnes of delays.

At the end of the day, the last guardian launched in December. It's a very real videogame.

I don't think MS care anymore. Scorpio is a premium product with a high profit margin to get standard Xbox One owners to double dip.

Outside of that they just want to sell as many copies of Halo, Forza and Gears on as many platforms as possible which is why they're coming to Windows 10.

I don't think there will be another MS console after Scorpio.

Iam pretty sure selling as many copies of a game is pretty much the goal of all Video Game companies...i could be wrong. WIndows 10 and Xbox are the same platform now as well. People who say why buy Xbox when i can get the games on PC are pretty much buying in to Xbox

Markoman

And i agree with that thesis .

"Ice cold" or maybe "Sand dry" ?
Seriously. During those years , their console plan worked , they should have kept going .. they , instead stopped. That was their fatal mistake. I mean this is microsoft , that kept going , years and years with windows.. never stopping until they got the upper hand.

Deep down was playable at events and there are several video of the co-op aspect of the game.

You make this sound so easy, as if MS has a guaranty for success just because they are MS. Well, why does their phone still fail?

Regarding Japan...think about the following scenario:
You approach a nice girl and ask her:
"Hello shorty, would ya like to go out on a date with me tonight?"
Her: "No, sorry not interested"
You:"But I let you chose where to go"
Her: "No"
You: "But I'll be paying for everthing"
Her: "No"

How many more "No"s does it take you to realize that it is pointless to continue.

MisterR

Sony was going to publish it, were they and Sony also announced it. Saying that I'm still waiting to play Mario 64 DD and Jungle Leo on my N64 . But I guess it's ok for NCL and Sony to cancel games, just not MS ... I forget this place is Sony central

Sony can't cancel Rockstar's games.

modsbox

I feel like Microsoft really hurt themselves with the Scorpio pre-announce. Once the PS4 Pro was confirmed to not have UHD Bluray it would have been easy to buy an S. Then I thought about it and realized that I don't give a shit about Forza or Gears. And it feels like there's basically nothing else coming out soon, at all, except the Scorpio this fall.

As a fairly early Xbone adopter I got burned badly with MCC. Halo 5 was ok. Loved Sunset Overdrive. Sold my (admittedly sweet) white LE Sunset Overdrive Xbone about a year ago and haven't missed at all.

There have been some insane deals for Xbox One S. Recently $200! But every time I'm about to pull the trigger on buying one, I'm like... wait, why would I do this with Scorpio coming so soon? What game am I dying to play that makes me need it now? And the problem is I can't think of anything.

On top of that, now I don't even know why I would want a Scorpio. Scalebound looked interesting but it got cancelled. Crackdown 3 I am super hype for, but they've shown literally nothing at all of the game since August 2015.

It's just weird. I don't need that much of an excuse to buy a system, but I really struggle to come up with a justification to have an Xbox. I'm someone that bought a Switch for Zelda-- literally one game-- and I already feel like it's worth it with the stuff coming down the pipe that I'm looking forward to (MK 8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2).

Meanwhile with the Xbone, I just keep going back to-- how often am I going to use the thing if I can't think of single upcoming exclusive that feels like a must-have? They really need to blow it out at E3 or I feel like a lot of people will feel pretty comfortable sticking with just PS4 or the PS4+Switch combo.

Euron

I'm intrigued by Crackdown. Obviously the bar has been set higher than ever for open world games but if it chooses to do something different, rather than try to be a basic replica of your average game of the genre, then perhaps we have Microsoft's best first party game of the gen. '

Gears 4 was fine but pretty standard and the past few Halos killed my enjoyment beyond Arena mode. Sea of Thieves looks good but I wouldn't have a group to play co-op with and frankly that genre of an online shared-world doesn't really have much appeal to me anymore.

It can take half a decade to make a big single player game but with a good vision and enough development time, it would be very worth it.

Cranster

Banned
Yeah, no. There's a difference between outright announcing a game that hadn't even begun development yet and announcing a game that then experiences tonnes of delays.
If games like Too Human and Duke Nukem Forever has taught us anything, delays are not always a good thing. The fact is this was announced for the PS3 almost 10 years ago and at this point it's non-excistant.

At the end of the day, the last guardian launched in December. It's a very real videogame.
It may have been released but to those who were expecting a PS3 release may have been disappointed.

Agree strongly with this. I also expect their e3 to focus mainly on scorpio hardware, with maybe only a couple good exclusive game reveals that will release who knows when.

Ironically Phil said on unlocked a few weeks ago that wasnt going to be the case. So it looks like it will be revealed before E3.

Right now, I have too many games on my X1 to actually play. Between Games With Gold (with 2 X1 games/2 360 games a month), EA Access Vault and the Game Pass memberships (I'm in the Alpha), I'm just drowning in games I want to play that I haven't had the time to yet. So the lack of exclusives really isn't hurting my enjoyment of the system, though of course a killer app wouldn't hurt.

Scorpio is tempting for me...less so for exclusives and more so because...if Red Dead Redemption 2 turns out to take advantage of that boost, that's pretty much enough for me.

bennibop

Think Microsoft has really lost me once and for all, I have a One S which I have not turned on for months. The lack of software has been staggering and the constant churn of franchises has bored me to tears, I even found Forza Horizon 3 a slog as it was just FH2 repackaged.

Ultra Hd Blu ray initially was a selling point (why I replaced xbox one) but the image difference is minimal so I am skipping buying disks and streaming instead saving myself replacing blurays (which upscale well) and can spend the £20 saved on games for Ps4.

Point I am making is why would I buy another version of xbox when I have been burnt so many times before. Why do I need to wait for fall 2017 for Scorpio when I can play a Ps4 Pro now, graphically the games will look similar on Pro and Scorpio so why hold out.

I don't know, after hearing Phil Spencer on Podcast Unlocked a few weeks ago saying something to the effect of "lets be real, most consumers are going to own the Xbox One S, not the Scorpio", I'm starting to get worried too as I'm just not getting excited about the games. Why do I need to buy ANOTHER console, especially after I already bought a Pro? You gotta gimme a not one, but a couple good reasons.

Unless they have the best exclusive games launch line-up showing ever at E3, they're not gonna get many people hype. If I'm not impressed with the launch games line-up I'm just gonna stick with my S as a UHD BR player and continue to buy all my games on the Pro which I've done since grabbing DR4 on XB. I'm really hoping for the best but unless MS has some serious surprises in-store for us, I'm not sure they're gonna be able to get back in the game.

joecanada

Think Microsoft has really lost me once and for all, I have a One S which I have not turned on for months. The lack of software has been staggering and the constant churn of franchises has bored me to tears, I even found Forza Horizon 3 a slog as it was just FH2 repackaged.

Ultra Hd Blu ray initially was a selling point (why I replaced xbox one) but the image difference is minimal so I am skipping buying disks and streaming instead saving myself replacing blurays (which upscale well) and can spend the £20 saved on games for Ps4.

Point I am making is why would I buy another version of xbox when I have been burnt so many times before. Why do I need to wait for fall 2017 for Scorpio when I can play a Ps4 Pro now, graphically the games will look similar on Pro and Scorpio so why hold out.

I've been a fan of buying Xbox consoles a few years into lifecycles but having just upgraded my pc I'm not even into that currently

Sure but when PS4 get's Nier Automata, Yakuza 0, Gravity Rush 2, Horizon Zero Dawn and the very near Persona 5, it really contrasts to Xbox One and... Halo Wars 2...

Microsoft did it to themselves though, relying too long on the Forza, Gears, Halo (and previously Fable) yearly rotation to keep themselves relevant.
You forgot Nioh

If games like Too Human and Duke Nukem Forever has taught us anything, delays are not always a good thing. The fact is this was announced for the PS3 almost 10 years ago and at this point it's non-excistant.

Lol what are you even talking about? I never said it was a good thing, and the game does exist. It went through development hell, ended up moving across to PS4 and released in December last year.

Phantom Dust was announced before development even started. It never actually existed. That is the distinction.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
It's unfortunate. It's like Sony and Microsoft flipped from last gen (or...Sony returned to form). My Xbox One S is a beautiful paperweight.

I'm hoping that e3 is software focused but I actually don't foresee that many exclusives coming to Xbox.

jamsy

The funny thing is, in the beginning, the Xbox One had the better exclusives, which is why it's the first "next-gen" console I bought. Games like Sunset Overdrive, Forza Horizon 2, Halo: MCC, and D4 were way more interesting than questionable Sony exclusives like Knack and Killzone.

Sadly, since the first 18 months of it being released, there's been very little reason to boot up my Xbox One, and it mostly sits there collecting dust. Now, nearly every time I turn it on, it prompts me to update its firmware, which for some reason takes fucking 30 minutes and I instantly regret it.

Cranster

Banned
Lol what are you even talking about? I never said it was a good thing, and the game does exist. It went through development hell, ended up moving across to PS4 and released in December last year.

Phantom Dust was announced before development even started. It never actually existed. That is the distinction.
AGENT!

gortsi

Neo Member
How anybody can make out the Swtich is the best think ever is beyond me, when it's best game is a port of a Wii u game . Looking over that .MS lost the likes of Mass Effect, Lost Planet, Ninja Gadien 2 Ect to Sony last generation. I think both the PS4 and One are ace consoles with fab games on each platform

A WiiU port that's ten times a better game than Andromeda, but don't let the facts get in the way of your narrative.

Wozman23

The one thing that worries me about Cuphead, and it isn't even their fault, is that it's been built and hyped up by online fans to be a killer Xbox title. I'm just getting some NMS vibes where it's getting hyped a bit much.

Oh, I pretty sure it will. I've been following it since before Microsoft even partnered with the studio. While the extra time has helped add traditional platforming and sidescrolling shmup levels, it is still very much a single screen boss battle run and gun. Even to me, that's a weird scope, but I trust the developers and love the aesthetic.

I think we're definitely going to have another case of people complaining about what it doesn't do, in spite of the developers best efforts to explain what it does do.

And for the record, I didn't hype NMS, didn't even think I'd like it, and ended up enjoying it so much so that I platinumed it.

dickroach

the future of xbox? yeah, I'm not seeing anything to get excited for. it looks like Crackdown 3 and then nada. Cuphead, I guess?
they must be saving everything for E3/Scorpio. they've gotta have something up their sleeve game-wise.

also, I bought an XB1S in November and I think it's great, especially because I didn't 360.
Halo 1,2,3,4,5. Forza 5,6, Horizon 2,3. Sunset Overdrive, Recore, Quantum Break, Rare Replay, Gears 1,2,3,4, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon

I feel like Microsoft really hurt themselves with the Scorpio pre-announce. Once the PS4 Pro was confirmed to not have UHD Bluray it would have been easy to buy an S. Then I thought about it and realized that I don't give a shit about Forza or Gears. And it feels like there's basically nothing else coming out soon, at all, except the Scorpio this fall.

As a fairly early Xbone adopter I got burned badly with MCC. Halo 5 was ok. Loved Sunset Overdrive. Sold my (admittedly sweet) white LE Sunset Overdrive Xbone about a year ago and haven't missed at all.

There have been some insane deals for Xbox One S. Recently $200! But every time I'm about to pull the trigger on buying one, I'm like... wait, why would I do this with Scorpio coming so soon? What game am I dying to play that makes me need it now? And the problem is I can't think of anything.

On top of that, now I don't even know why I would want a Scorpio. Scalebound looked interesting but it got cancelled. Crackdown 3 I am super hype for, but they've shown literally nothing at all of the game since August 2015.

It's just weird. I don't need that much of an excuse to buy a system, but I really struggle to come up with a justification to have an Xbox. I'm someone that bought a Switch for Zelda-- literally one game-- and I already feel like it's worth it with the stuff coming down the pipe that I'm looking forward to (MK 8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2).

Meanwhile with the Xbone, I just keep going back to-- how often am I going to use the thing if I can't think of single upcoming exclusive that feels like a must-have? They really need to blow it out at E3 or I feel like a lot of people will feel pretty comfortable sticking with just PS4 or the PS4+Switch combo.

I've had the exact same thoughts. I bought an Xbox One shortly after release with Titanfall being the catalyst. I ended up selling it off about a year later after the MCC debacle. Now I've been increasingly wanting one and I've come close to buying one with all the great deals but always stop short because I realize after I run through the few exclusives I'm interested in it's likely going to sit for a while so I just can't justify the purchase, on top the ho-hum campaign impressions I've read of Halo 5 and Gears 4.

meirl

Banned
Yeah but they're still the reason I got an Xbox One.

Yeah and you Can play them in better quality, with Screenshots and Recording etc. :) Even for Free if you owned them before. So Not a bad Thing

I would LOVE to play Old Nintendo games On the Switch right now without buying them again. I would buy a Switch in an Instant.

massucci

Banned
I'm excited for Scorpio
I don't really know. I mean, developers barely push Pro multiplat what should change with Scorpio incoming? It's all in their hands.
A lot of people complain to barely notice the difference between ps4 and Pro; what should change on Scorpio, when in theory coming from the Pro the difference is surely more subtle compared the ps4?
I understood MS tries to rise the hype to the stars but from now MS could say whatever they want, still developers could ignore their message and just put the minimum effort like it happens on the Pro.

KAL2006

Banned
The writing was in the wall at the end of 360 life span. I bought a PS3 Slim and sold my 360. Then Kinect XBone reveal cemented it even more which lead me to buy a PS4. Haven't looked back since.

When we had Lost Oddyssey, Tales of Vesperia, Gear of War which was a new IP at the time, that's when i was a Xbox fan. I think PS3 being so bad must have helped MS alot. But since the end of PS3 when Sony started getting more games and bolstering their first party. Practically tailored the hardware for western developers with PS4 which was what MS had the advantage, then the Kinect reveal that's what banged the nail in the coffin for me and i don't think Xbox brand will ever recover.

These Xbox concern threads are getting a bit tiresome. I'm sure you have some valid concerns but what are you expecting them to do so close to E3? Also the console is what it is at this point and they're trying to prep scorpio. The one will benefit by default but if you're buying into the platform expecting Sony levels of commitment with new IP I gotta ask what cave have you been in for the past 8 or so years? They've cancelled a few mid profile games that weren't obviously up to their expectations. If MS is one thing it's not afraid to torpedo a game that isn't going to add to their bottom line. Should they take more risks? Sure of course why not? Still it's who they are and even with a somewhat charismatic leader it's still MS and they're gonna do what they're gonna do. At this point you either accept it or move on.

kitzkozan

The funny thing is, in the beginning, the Xbox One had the better exclusives, which is why it's the first "next-gen" console I bought. Games like Sunset Overdrive, Forza Horizon 2, Halo: MCC, and D4 were way more interesting than questionable Sony exclusives like Knack and Killzone.

Sadly, since the first 18 months of it being released, there's been very little reason to boot up my Xbox One, and it mostly sits there collecting dust. Now, nearly every time I turn it on, it prompts me to update its firmware, which for some reason takes fucking 30 minutes and I instantly regret it.

2016 and '17 up until now have been devastating for the One imo. XD Mind you, it's still selling relatively well so it's mostly problematic from a perception standpoint. In the last 3 months it's Halo War 2 vs Nioh, Gravity Rush 2, Yakuza 0, Nier Automata, Horizon ZD and Persona 5. XD

I've seen some great deals last fall, but every time I'm about to pull the trigger I can't help but think: Halo, Gears and Forza and I'm like meh. -_- The Playstation 4 has been selling extremely well so far and God of War or Gran Turismo are still in development. Sony is mixing up familiar and new IPs, which is the way to go imo (Nintendo also tend to do the same thing as they introduce new IP from time to time).

The worse part of Microsoft strategy is that Halo and Gears are completely crushed in terms of relevance and popularity by COD, Battlefield, Destiny and Overwatch as they target the same kind of audience.

meirl

Banned
I don't really know. I mean, developers barely push Pro multiplat what should change with Scorpio incoming? It's all in their hands.
A lot of people complain to barely notice the difference between ps4 and Pro; what should change on Scorpio, when in theory coming from the Pro the difference is surely more subtle compared the ps4?

I dont own a PS4. I have a Xbox One and Wii U. So for ME the difference will be HUGE.

Also, regarding the pushing Part. The Question is do Developers Even have to do to anything? There are a Lot of "unlocked" framerates and "dynamic" Resolutions. I think These games will automatically Perform and look best on Scorpio without the Developer doing a Thing.

There are for sure games that look slightly better on Xbox One S without the Developer doing a Thing. Imagining what Scorpio then can makes me excited.

Freiya

Which let's face it are not going to sell consoles. People looking forward to those games already own xb1's or pc's.

Hyped as shit for SoD2 though.

This! I have an xb1 and I don't care about a single one of those games. The only 2 games I had to look forward to were Scalebound and Phantom dust and Microsoft killed both of them and expects me to be happy with basically an untouched "remaster". Microsoft literally has nothing for me at this point. If not for vmc testing I would have sold it already.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I let a friend borrow my XBO because I have a 5 game stack right now of PS4 games. When I was at his house I pointed out that I had Gears collection including 4, Rise of the Tomb Raider, FFXV, Dark Souls 3, and a list of Arcade games to play. On top of that I had a copy of RE7 I let him borrow.

It isn't terrible. I mean, I have for sure enjoyed the PS exclusives and I don't necessarily want to cross out the Xbox just because of that reason alone.

Hell, fans criticize a console for being different or not having enough content. Yet that console is still going to strive for greatness regardless.

Last gen was 360's huge run and this time Sony is doing an outstanding job. There's still no real reason to say there won't be content. I just played a Wii U game after sitting it down after Bayonetta 2 and Xenoblade Chronicles.

Who knows. Microsoft is a massive company. Sure they probably invest in the business world first, but I doubt they'd just let the Xbox brand just sit there.

The PS brand has been doing amazing since the PS1 came out. Xbox happened to be a huge success. There's no real reason to give up on them.

Top Bottom