• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I want to get excited for the future of Xbox but Microsoft aren't helping

If you want the best looking cross platform games and have any interest in Halo or Gears, you'll probably be interested in getting a Scorpio.

I doubt the investment in a whole new console is worth it for people (who might already have an Xbox One, PS4 or even PS4 Pro) just to have "the best looking cross-plattform" game (outside the hard-core). And the actual visual difference yet remains to be seen by the way... right now it's all just theory.

As for Halo, I think the interest in that franchise has greatly diminished over the past years.

I miss Japanese games. There was so much talk about multiplatform being the thing and how these new consoles would make it easier than ever... then the 3rd party exclusive comes back in full force and negates it all.

360 got A LOT of Japanese stuff. There was a time where a lot of JRPGs were coming out on 360 first (at least in the West). Now, I didn't expect that to continue but I didn't think it'd get to a point where Capcom doesn't really see a point to putting Street Fighter on XB1, Team Ninja thinks the console is a waste of time, and Platinum treats it like shovelware only.

I didn't see that coming in a time where systems and engines made multiplatform development easier than ever.

OldHand

Neo Member
May be a stupid question, but could not Microsoft announcing Minecraft 2 as an Xbox exclusive with a Scorpio/Rift VR version as the aspirational option be enough to get back into the race?

gamz

I doubt the investment in a whole new console is worth it for people (who might already have an Xbox One, PS4 or even PS4 Pro) just to have "the best looking cross-plattform" game (outside the hard-core). And the actual visual difference yet remains to be seen by the way... right now it's all just theory.

As for Halo, I think the interest in that franchise has greatly diminished over the past years.

I bet for people it is worth it to upgrade.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I get that this thread is about Microsoft...but do we really think that Microsoft is the worst offender on this score?

When a developer comes out and says they had no idea what MS was showing on a game they were supposedly developing, I would say that is pretty egregious.

May be a stupid question, but could not Microsoft announcing Minecraft 2 as an Xbox exclusive with a Scorpio/Rift VR version as the aspirational option be enough to get back into the race?

MS would be dumb as hell to make Minecraft 2 exclusive...oh man.

Markoman

May be a stupid question, but could not Microsoft announcing Minecraft 2 as an Xbox exclusive with a Scorpio/Rift VR option as the aspirational option be enough to get back into the race?

Of course they could concentrate on just one plattform with 27m X1s + initial Scorpio sales vs. 150m+ devices out there. How many parents are going to spend 400-500$ for a new console + 400-500$ for a VR headset, so their kids can play MC2?

blakep267

I'm confused about the OP. It looks like they want something that isn't what the Xbox is about. We know what they are going for. Either your in or your out. Stop complaining about things when you have alternative options.

When a developer comes out and says they had no idea what MS was showing on a game they were supposedly developing, I would say that is pretty egregious.

MS would be dumb as hell to make Minecraft 2 exclusive...oh man.
I don't think it'd be dumb at all. I'm assuming he means console exclusive. It would be in 369, XB1, Mobile and PC. They aren't going to be massively hurt if it's not on the PS4

xxracerxx

Again. Who else has literally made up a fake game to show at e3 ?

At least Deep Down was playable at some point, correct?

I'm confused about the OP. It looks like they want something that isn't what the Xbox is about. We know what they are going for. Either your in or your out. Stop complaining about things when you have alternative options.

Xbox used to be about what OP is talking about though, remember the pre-Kinect days on the 360?

RulkezX

Deep down was in active development though. That Black Tusk game was just a "make something to score at E3" them Spencer is like "oh tje game never existed, we ate just showing you a concept of a game"

I do find it odd that they are about to release the most powerful console on the market and they really don't have much announced for it. E3 will probably see a few announcements, but E3 is 4 months away from launch. Timing just seems strange.

It's a more powerful X1. It's release slate = the X1 release slate. There's no Scorpio exclusives coming at E3.

Markoman

Xbox used to be about what OP is talking about though, remember the pre-Kinect days on the 360?

This E3...a trailer starts with "Capcom presents"...then two D's spin into the middle...then out of nowhere other letters complete the title "Dragon's Dogma 2". Believe

blakep267

That was 8 years ago. The picture has been clear for years what the Xbox one is going to deliver. If you want Japanese games and Singleplayer experiences buy a PS4. Those aren't the games that are selling on the Xbox TBH. If you want a plethora of multiplayer games experiences, back catalogues of 360 games and subscriptions, and service based games buy an Xbox

xxracerxx

Deep down was in active development though. That Black Tusk game was just a "make something to score at E3" them Spencer is like "oh tje game never existed, we ate just showing you a concept of a game"

Oh shit, I forgot about that repelling CGI trailer that was shown. I was talking about the Phantom Dust remake.

MilkyJoe

Except OP and others are specifically speaking from the perspective of XBOX owners?

XBOX owners who aren't satisfied with current and projected software on the platform are concerned and hoping that the ship isn't as rudderless as it seems. Maybe dial back the persecution complex a bit.

I was replying to something other than the OP, are you aware of how the replying system works?

I do find it odd that they are about to release the most powerful console on the market and they really don't have much announced for it. E3 will probably see a few announcements, but E3 is 4 months away from launch. Timing just seems strange.

They're saving the announcements for E3 to announce with the formal Scorpio reannouncement.

MilkyJoe

Again. Who else has literally made up a fake game to show at e3 ?

Deep_Down-Big-555x328.jpeg

Narf

No, not at all - Minecraft is a service game and it lives on through the continued development of the current game. They are bringing it to the Nintendo Switch for crying out loud; limiting the amount of people who can play that IP devalues it immensely. And, the most likely thing that would occur if a Minecraft 2 were to occur in such an exclusionary way is that the majority of people who play Minecraft would just stick to Minecraft 1 & not switch to 2, especially if Minecraft 1 is still being supported.

xxracerxx

This E3...a trailer starts with "Capcom presents"...then two D's spin into the middle...then out of nowhere other letters complete the title "Dragon's Dogma 2". Believe

Don't tease me!

That was 8 years ago. The picture has been clear for years what the Xbox one is going to deliver. If you want Japanese games and Singleplayer experiences buy a PS4. Those aren't the games that are selling on the Xbox TBH. If you want a plethora of multiplayer games experiences, back catalogues of 360 games and subscriptions, and service based games buy an Xbox

I think you just have way too narrow of view of what MS has to offer, I get that sales are king but MS has been offering Single Player games quite a bit this gen they just haven't been stellar in sales.

Narf?

Anyhow, Deep Down was playable at least, more than you can say for MS' ghost announcements.

Markoman

Ok, off topic. Does anyone remember how we discussed whether something like the Deep Down trailer is technically possible on current gen consoles? Well, I have rewatched the trailer and today I would say "absolutely".

At this point Microsoft feels like a company with 10 different leaders each doing their own thing and none of it adding up to a big picture.

The current xbox has beautiful components, the UI is fantastic, and the controller is best in class (especially the elite) BUT poor early decision making means that almost all third party games run at a slight technical disadantage - 900p vs 1080p on PS4, higher frame drops, etc. So why would I ever get an xbox one version of a game unless its exclusive?

Now there's this whole play anywhere thing, and it sounds great on paper, but the Windows 10 versions of almost every game has had minor to severe technical issues (UWP related mostly) and they have been embarrassingly bad, like gSync not working for months or major perf hits in Forza Horizon 3.

Scorpio gets announced over a YEAR out, and while we have pretty good tech specs on it we really don't have an answer as to "why would I buy this?". Hopefully E3 has some good messaging but its just as likely it'll be confusing as hell too.

They keep shutting down their first party studios, with mixed messages of whether they want xbox to be "a windows 10 platform" or a full gaming ecosystem with exclusives etc. You get the feeling Microsoft WANTS xbox to be like android phones, with other companies making the systems and game developers making UWP games that run on any windows 10 machine, but no one else in the fucking world wants to buy into that shitty vision so it almost feels like Microsoft is trying to say whatever and slowly work on making their idea work, with no real good plan on how to actually do it.

joecanada

I mean if you were never super stoked about the Forza, Gears, Halo, *Fable* cycle I don't know why you bothered to get an xbox honestly.

their other games always come off as afterthoughts, I bought Ryse for 5 dollars, wasn't worth it.

Going forward, I don't see any reason to own an Xbox if every game is going to come out on PC. Right now the system only has like three great exclusives: Raiden V, Halo 5, and Sunset Overdrive. And MCC I guess. I'm not going to sell my system because I already own a bunch of stuff for it (digital+physical), but it'll be my last MS console, at this rate.

I share your concerns. PS4 has finally gotten a lot of fantastic momentum in its exclusive library, and it's not gonna slow down for a couple years. That said, let's see what MS brings to the table at E3. If you're not satisfied with that, then I would be legitimately worried and consider jumping ship.

xxracerxx

Going forward, I don't see any reason to own an Xbox if every game is going to come out on PC. Right now the system only has like three great exclusives: Raiden V, Halo 5, and Sunset Overdrive. And MCC I guess. I'm not going to sell my system because I already own a bunch of stuff for it (digital+physical), but it'll be my last MS console, at this rate.

Eh, I do not want to deal with a gaming PC so consoles are always more enticing for me.

ZOONAMI

I mean if you were never super stoked about the Forza, Gears, Halo, *Fable* cycle I don't know why you bothered to get an xbox honestly.

their other games always come off as afterthoughts, I bought Ryse for 5 dollars, wasn't worth it.

Ryse is excellent imo on the harder difficulties. Decent story, crazy visuals, and on harder difficulties gameplay is actually pretty tight. One of a handful of games I've actually beaten in the last few years (TLOU, Until Dawn, Destiny, Tomb Raider, DKTF, 1st Wii U Mario, Mario 3D Land, Mario 3DW, Titanfall 2, am 40 hours into Zelda BOTW and can see myself beating it, probably a few others I'm forgetting about).

In the first two years or so after launch, I don't think anyone would argue that 360 didn't have an amazing and varied exclusive lineup. It was certainly superior to PS3 in that time period, at least in my book. JRPGs, WRPGs, shooters, even obscure Japanese space dogfighting games (Sylpheed), there was a lot of interesting exclusive stuff there.

Then it just dried up, and XB1 never even really got started in comparison to it.

In my humble opinion I think the wii was the nail in the coffin of the 360 and current problem. They saw how it took off with every casual and their grandmother owning one and Microsoft wanted a piece of that. Hence the kinect, then the push for that next big thing while unfortunately for them the casual audience switched to mobile gaming. No denying the 360 killed it in terms of early software output and it just seems a damn shame that investment wasn't made in 1st party. They just seem to be looking for that one killer title/device rather than a steady stream of decent titles to build a software library.

All opinion of course, I could be talking rubbish as not in game industry or computing etc :)

joecanada

rockstars-agent-could-be-coming-to-xbox-360-2.jpg

Let's also not forget The Last Guardian was announced for the PS3 aswell.

Rockstar? or are you saying Sony announced a fake game they weren't even making.......... lol.

Sony "AGENT!"

Rockstar "huh, what the fuck?"

That's how you think it happened?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
His (implied) poor Treatment of indies? Gona need some receipts on that one because the releases have been more than steady and devs I talked to have had nothing but positive things to say about ID. I know you're a dev, but gona need some examples here that's prompting that comment
ID@Xbox is fantastic. Chris and the team are great and in many respects better than Sony when it comes to indie outreach. But some of the backwards policies like the Parity Clause? That was all Phil.

Unity2012

For those of you who didn't, you may want to watch the "Unlocked 285," episode with Phil Spencer.

https://youtu.be/T8uBk0FmL5Q

Why would MS want to unveil Scorpio before E3 if they had nothing to show? Phil Spencer was clear when he said they wanted E3 to be all about games and the Scorpio outing to be behind them already.

I know we often love to hate MS around here; but if I was a hardcore loyalist to PS4 or Nintendo, I wouldn't want MS or any other form of competition within the gaming industry to go away. Competition is good for gamers and for the market. It pushes companies and developers to continuously upgrade and to excel at what they do.

Let's wait for Scorpio to be unveiled and see what happens at E3.

joecanada

For those of you who didn't, you may want to watch the "Unlocked 285," episode with Phil Spencer.

https://youtu.be/T8uBk0FmL5Q

Why would MS want to unveil Scorpio before E3 if they had nothing to show? Phil Spencer was clear when he said they wanted E3 to be all about the games and the Scorpio outing be behind them already.

I know we love to hate MS around here; but if I was a hardcore loyalist to PS4 or Nintendo, I wouldn't want MS or any other form of competition withing the gaming industry to go away. Competition is good for gamers and for the market. It pushes companies and developers to continuously upgrade and to excel at what they do.

Let's wait for Scorpio to be unveiled and see what happens at E3.

I didn't see anyone arguing for MS to go away in here, however, what you are saying about competition has been debunked repeatedly here. propping up non-competitive companies is not good for the market, and many cycles have had a clear leader with knock out offerings.

Prologue

Sold my xbox one last year with MCC after heard rumors of Scorpio. Will definitely pick it up later this year with some other exclusives. There is a lack of diversity on the xbox front though, especially when you look at the past three months alone for sony. I'm fortunate to be able to have both consoles, but I want that same diversity for both, and not just dude bro games.

joecanada

Ryse is excellent imo on the harder difficulties. Decent story, crazy visuals, and on harder difficulties gameplay is actually pretty tight. One of a handful of games I've actually beaten in the last few years (TLOU, Until Dawn, Destiny, Tomb Raider, DKTF, 1st Wii U Mario, Mario 3D Land, Mario 3DW, Titanfall 2, am 40 hours into Zelda BOTW and can see myself beating it, probably a few others I'm forgetting about).

I should go back to it, graphics and gameplay mechanics aren't bad.

Wozman23

Like the OP, I'm a first time Microsoft console owner. I never had any interest in the original Xbox and never got around to buying a 360. But when Sunset Overdrive came out I grabbed a One - because I'm a massive fan of Insomniac and for the first time saw promise in the diversity of their first party with games like Recore, Ori, and Cuphead.

I didn't think Halo and Gears would do much for me. Having now played them, I was right. Forza I couldn't care less about. Scalebound was of no interest to me either, but at least it provided some diversity.

Microsoft really needs to work on their diversity and new IP creation. Sony and Nintendo and both of their first party catalogues may not always come out on top or sell millions, but they both have a great selection of first party content.

There's a very real chance that Cuphead (and one other small indie that launched in February) may be the only time I turn on my Xbox this year. Hopefully E3 does bring so good news.

Let's also not forget The Last Guardian was announced for the PS3 aswell.

It's really easy to joke about The Last Guardian's tumultuous development, but at the end of the day at least it released and was a great game.

E3 is too late. MS reveals games more than 2 years in advance often. Anything they announced would be way to far off from release. That's assuming it doesn't get canceled like everything else.
Agree strongly with this. I also expect their e3 to focus mainly on scorpio hardware, with maybe only a couple good exclusive game reveals that will release who knows when.

Isn't that pretty much the thesis of this thread though?
And i agree with that thesis .

Sorry no, that's exactly the error in your thought process. It looks like Xbox in Japan CANNOT be helped. OG Xbox and 360 had Japanese exclusive games. Japanese games didn't help with declining console sales in general.
I think opening a sauna club in the middle of the Sahara has more chances to succed than making Xbox popular in Japan.

"Ice cold" or maybe "Sand dry" ?
Seriously. During those years , their console plan worked , they should have kept going .. they , instead stopped. That was their fatal mistake. I mean this is microsoft , that kept going , years and years with windows.. never stopping until they got the upper hand.

Deep down was playable at events and there are several video of the co-op aspect of the game.

timberger

Yep, agree on all fronts. Of all platforms currently going, Xbox is the least exciting by a mile imo. UHD and backwards compatibility really seems like it's become what MS consider the top selling points of their console (Especially looking at that game pass shit they're doing now), which seems kinda sad to me. I'd much rather have reasons to be excited about what's yet to come (New games to look forward to) rather than new ways to sell me what's already been.

Like the OP, I'm a first time Microsoft console owner. I never had any interest in the original Xbox and never got around to buying a 360. But when Sunset Overdrive came out I grabbed a One - because I'm a massive fan of Insomniac and for the first time saw promise in the diversity of their first party with games like Recore, Ori, and Cuphead.

I didn't think Halo and Gears would do much for me. Having now played them, I was right. Forza I couldn't care less about. Scalebound was of no interest to me either, but at least it provided some diversity.

Microsoft really needs to work on their diversity and new IP creation. Sony and Nintendo and both of their first party catalogues may not always come out on top or sell millions, but they both have a great selection of first party content.

There's a very real chance that Cuphead (and one other small indie that launched in February) may be the only time I turn on my Xbox this year. Hopefully E3 does bring so good news.

It's really easy to joke about The Last Guardian's tumultuous development, but at the end of the day at least it released and was a great game.
The one thing that worries me about Cuphead, and it isn't even their fault, is that it's been built and hyped up by online fans to be a killer Xbox title. I'm just getting some NMS vibes where it's getting hyped a bit much.

I think you misunderstand. What MS showed at E3 2014 was actually not related to the actual game the developers (at the time) were making.
Oh yes, okay I know what you mean now. Ya the trailer had nothing to do with the actual game.

Sorry for the confusion I thought you just meant an actual game didn't exist haha

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
I don't think MS care anymore. Scorpio is a premium product with a high profit margin to get standard Xbox One owners to double dip.

Outside of that they just want to sell as many copies of Halo, Forza and Gears on as many platforms as possible which is why they're coming to Windows 10.

I don't think there will be another MS console after Scorpio.

Rockstar? or are you saying Sony announced a fake game they weren't even making.......... lol.

Sony "AGENT!"

Rockstar "huh, what the fuck?"

That's how you think it happened?

Sony was going to publish it, were they and Sony also announced it. Saying that I'm still waiting to play Mario 64 DD and Jungle Leo on my N64 . But I guess it's ok for NCL and Sony to cancel games, just not MS ... I forget this place is Sony central

Top Bottom