• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I want to get excited for the future of Xbox but Microsoft aren't helping

dealer-

Best hardcore controller on the market, solid online, constant updates, new very powerful console coming.... yeah i'm good with where Microsoft is going.

Yeah MS is just doubling down on what it does best. New and exciting IPs haven't been its forte for some time. The new Netflix style service is testament to this. Its making moves in other areas to differentiate itself from the competition.

I mean, I'm excited for Phantom Dust and Voodoo Vince, but all those remasters serve as is a reminder of the diversity of software lineup that Xbox used to have and doesn't any more.

The Xbox One is completely dead in Japan. Last week's sales:

Playstation 4: 32,432
Switch: 50,821
Xbox One: 112

Switch had already beaten XB1's LTD sales on launch day. There's just no chance, any Japanese Xbox exclusive would effectively be ending that franchise in Japan.

Sure, they're never going to make any headway in Japan, but Japanese games still sell over in the west so if they can get some good exclusives it might still be worth it.

Akai__

Phil Spencer said that they learned and that they won't announce gamnes too soon now. This means, you will potentially be waiting for quite some time.

Unless they actually had some projects in the pipeline that are releasing soon and that we didn't know about, which I think is unlikely for this year. I'm still hoping for some surprises, obviously.

Xbox is dad.

But who is mom?

wapplew

I'm guessing that one of the games they've announced for 2017 is going to be delayed to 2018.

Remember: Halo Wars 2 and Scalebound was announced for 2016. Crackdown 3 was supposed to have a beta in 2016.

I'm guessing there will be a Marvel game exclusive to Xbox. Maybe the one from Crystal Dynamic, maybe something like Spider-Man deal.
Marvel is very aggressive on gaming recently, they won't say no if MS approach them.

Strootman

Crackdown 3
Sea of thieves
Cuphead
State of decay 2
Forza 7 (?)
Ori 2 (?)

They surely lack a big new AAA IP, but honestly it's not a bad line up at all.

I like my Xbox. I play it more than my PS4, and will do all year.

GLOOM DOOM.

See you all again next week.

Same here. I just play on the platform, I love me some Gears, Halo and Forza. Yet I go to Neogaf and there's just a ton of people dooming the platform and hating on it without any intention of ever owning one. It's strange I can have any fun at all on this platform!

It's like they have this goal in life to pull down every platform they don't own, why?!

I'm guessing there will be a Marvel game exclusive to Xbox. Maybe the one from Crystal Dynamic, maybe something like Spider-Man deal.
Marvel is very aggressive on gaming recently, they won't say no if MS approach them.

I doubt it. The Spider-man deal was likely achieved due to very specific circumstances around the IP. Marvel is going aggressive on gaming, but it would make very little sense to lock themselves out of more than half of the console market - you just need to take a look at the whole RotTR fiasco to get why that would be a terrible idea for them.

Now, a co-marketing deal, with maybe some exclusive content or an exclusive beta? That I can see happening.

MilkyJoe

I know it's fatuous, but that's all these threads are. Once you get past the point that 'one company has more exclusive games/sales than another', what have you got? Opinions that have fuck all meaning for anyone else, because they're not about anything actually debatable or substantial or even interesting. Just repeat the mantra, 'Horizon, Nier, Nioh', and say 'garbage' or 'trash' a few times and bingo.

I realise I shouldn't even open the thread, but every damn week...!

/rant

Yeah, it's reaching rabid levels now, something must be riling them up... Every single thread it's the same, check out the xbox hand-held thread for extra goodness.

Same here. I just play on the platform, I love me some Gears, Halo and Forza. Yet I go to Neogaf and there's just a ton of people dooming the platform and hating on it without any intention of ever owning one. It's strange I can have any fun at all on this platform!

It's like they have this goal in life to pull down every platform they don't own, why?!

They get extra upset if you tell them that you are not interested in Zelda or Horizon, it doesn't compute with their still developing minds.

There is no reason to be excited for Scorpio or Pro imo.

If you didn't like fighting the Warden Eternal 12 times, a resolution increase most likely won't change that. Or if you found KZ Shadowfall to be dull and boring, resolution bump won't help either.

It's up to each company, in this case Microsoft, to show you why you need to be excited. You shouldn't be searching near and far.

I give credit to Nintendo and Sony. They have for sometime now had a diverse lineup. Not all have been home runs. But it's a long term plan that Microsoft doesn't seem to have.

Varg

Banned
The friggin most powerful console ever made is about to be unveiled and released soon . If your a console gamer, your going to have the definitive multiplats on Xbox now and Phil already stated they're many unannounced games in development. Some windows exclusive some Xbox exclusive and the rest play anywhere . I see nothing but great things with them . Yes they had a slow beginning of the year, but Xbox had a strong end of 2016. Cant help if Sony delays games and front loads the 1st qtr.

Consoles sales are dead in Japan yes but I still thinks Phils trip to Japan was to convince some of the devs without exclusivity deals with Sony to port some of the games to xbox one, maybe financing the ports

Oh, I see what you mean. If you're just talking about ports then sure, I guess that's possible.

Magwik

Banned
They are either playing their cards close to their chest or they don't have much. I'd go with the former as the industry itself is less keen on these super far out announcements.

Phil Spencer said that they learned and that they won't announce gamnes too soon now. This means, you will potentially be waiting for quite some time.

Unless they actually had some projects in the pipeline that are releasing soon and that we didn't know about, which I think is unlikely for this year. I'm still hoping for some surprises, obviously.

But who is mom?

Ask Kamiya.....

Malcolm9

The friggin most powerful console ever made is about to be unveiled and released soon . If your a console gamer, your going to have the definitive multiplats on Xbox now and Phil already stated they're many unannounced games in development. Some windows exclusive some Xbox exclusive and the rest play anywhere . I see nothing but great things with them . Yes they had a slow beginning of the year, but Xbox had a strong end of 2016. Cant help if Sony delays games and front loads the 1st qtr.

Joke post?

Akai__

Consoles sales are dead in Japan yes but I still thinks Phils trip to Japan was to convince some of the devs without exclusivity deals with Sony to port some of the games to xbox one, maybe financing the ports

That is preferably what should happen after his trip.

Ask Kamiya.....

I don't understand that response? Kamiya knows who mom is, because his game was cancelled? Or are you reffering to something else?

Duxxy3

Every other thread the first or second post is Scorpio but not this one? Amazing.

Scorpio will certainly solve the power issue with Xbox. Third party games will be the best on Scorpio.

But that doesn't solve the lack of exclusives.

bayman13

Neo Member
Why the semantics argument? Since they've made it clear that they aren't going by traditional generations any more, what are we supposed to call each hardware iteration? The successor to Scorpio will almost certainly be cross-compatible with Scorpio, so is it also not a new platform?

A new hardware generation is when the new games don't have to run on the old console, ex. a PS4 game doesn't run on PS3 so new generation, but every PS4 Pro game still has to run on PS4 so no new generation. Spencer has said/implied that Scorpio will be the same as PS4 Pro in this regard so it wouldn't be a new generation. If this turns out to be not true than yes, MS will have done away with console generations as we know them.

wapplew

I doubt it. The Spider-man deal was likely achieved due to very specific circumstances around the IP. Marvel is going aggressive on gaming, but it would make very little sense to lock themselves out of more than half of the console market - you just need to take a look at the whole RotTR fiasco to get why that would be a terrible idea for them.

Now, a co-marketing deal, with maybe some exclusive content or an exclusive beta? That I can see happening.

Marvel have so many IP, I think a few exclusives won't hurt.
They are making money licensing their IP to publisher, more publishers use their IP, more money they make exclusive or not.

Duxxy3

Retail:
Crackdown 3
Sea of Thieves
State of Decay 2
Forza (unannounced but 100% happening)

Digital:
Cuphead
Pit People
Tacoma
Below

As an Xbox fan...

ldbWK.gif

With all their "exclusive" games coming to PC as well, they eliminated any shred of a desire for me to ever own an Xbox One. I'd sooner buy a 360 at this point just to play old games I missed.

This reads like a joke so I can't tell if serious.

Graciaus

Scalebound looked like trash from the very first trailer. It sucks they cancelled it but chances are very high it wouldn't have been any good. If it wasn't tied to platinum probably no one would care.

They aren't coming out with new IPs and their iconic ones (Halo and gears) aren't even good or made by the same people anymore. Back when the 360 was the console to own (in the us anyway) they got all the new games first. Now they don't even get them at all.

Ms just needs to ride this generation out and come out with a bang next time. It is very unlikely they will pull a PS3 and overtake the lead after an awful start. But who knows.

Dahaka

I appreciate the Dolby Atmos push by MS. Hopefully it'll make object based audio a standard. A win for both speaker room gamers and those that wear headphones.

Gxgear

Microsoft used to have exclusives like the first Mass Effect and Bioshock that were dynamic, generation-defining games. Third-party titles that strengthened them as a brand and became associated with the platform.

BioShock and a few others aside, some of these timed exclusives were so overhyped they ended up being letdowns for me when I actually got my hands on them.

They are making money licensing their IP to publisher, more publishers use their IP, more money they make exclusive or not.

But, at least from what they've been talking, they're also paying attention to the quality of the output and how the brand is perceived, hence going with established developers this time around. Exclusive games are a bad look, now matter how you cut it.

The Xbox One is completely dead in Japan. Last week's sales:

Playstation 4: 32,432
Switch: 50,821
Xbox One: 112

Switch had already beaten XB1's LTD sales on launch day. There's just no chance, any Japanese Xbox exclusive would effectively be ending that franchise in Japan.

To be fair . What game was released on xbone one last week in japan ?
You can't sell console if you don't have a constant supply of games.

Markoman

Sure, they're never going to make any headway in Japan, but Japanese games still sell over in the west so if they can get some good exclusives it might still be worth it.

Maybe just not on Xbox. Xbox has been around for 16 years now...enough sales data to answer this question easily. I don't think that all Japanese Devs are fanboys, they love $ too.

And who's left to do it? PG? Burned, no way. SE? No, same. Atlus? Nope. Koei? Hell, no. Bandai Namco? Nooo.
Capcom? Maybe, but then it's going to be a more a type of game like Lost Planet 4.

Shit, I'm just glad that they started on this Play Anywhere thing, as it means that when they do put out something I want, I can just play it on PC.
I loved it too until the Windows Store randomly deleted my installed copies of Forza Horizon 3 and Gears of War 4 from my hard drive. 160GB worth of data I need to redownload due to their crummy store.

Piece of junk.

Rien

Jelly Belly
The bone is the first console i ever sold.. MS failed to keep me interested. The last part of the 360 already got me bored and the whole X1 was/is pretty forgetable imo. So no, i dont get excited either.

Elixist

I know people are concerned about their output, but we should at least wait for E3 to get a better picture

same. state of decay 2 could be somethin special and sea of thieves looks interesting, if maybe not my jam. crackdown 3 eh not really sure either, interested to see wat the gameplay loop is this time. im pretty sure they'll have a surprise or two, they've been quiet for quite awhile now.

It's sold like that consistently almost since launch week. They've had a couple of bumps up to around ~1000 units and that's about it.

The thing is, it's not even like it's hard to find. They're paying for shelf space in department stores, there are Xbox One sections out there. It's just that nobody wants it. MS have put zero effort into getting Japan-focused games on shelves.

Markoman

Is this a joke post? Xboxes have been selling terribly in Japan since day one back in 2002 no matter what software.
People are out of their mind. OG Box had basically the best Japanese exclusive support you can wish for a new console: Ninja Gainden 1, Shenmue 2, Jet Set Radio,....Japan didn't care and never will. If anything, Japanese Devs got burned believing that Xbox will one day gain tracktion in Japan. It's was over before it even started. A company like Koei is not crazy enough to believe that they will create a new market for their mussou games only on Xbox.

I like my Xbox for what it is, pretty much the first party (Halo, Gears etc.) multiplayer machine. But ever since I got my PS4 last year it has been my go to because the Xbox One pales in comparison to the amazing amount of games the PS4 has. Just look at the offerings that PS4 has thus far with Nioh, Yakuza 0, Nier: Automata, Horizon: Zero Dawn to name a few. The only big title that I have got on the Xbox One since this year started is Halo Wars 2. Do not get me wrong I play Halo Wars 2 almost every day for a bit, but the playing field is definitely on Sony's side.

My ps4 just sits right next to my xbox, not doing a thing
But why? I don't understand this one. No interest in Sony exclusives? What is driving you to buy technically inferior versions of third party games? I know that's not always the case but it's very common.

Is the platform ecosystem and controller that good to ignore the other factors? Not trying to start a flame war, I just feel like I'm missing something and would like to understand. More of a multiplayer focused gamer?

sora87

Their first party is just terribly bland imo. My xbox one has been a sunset overdrive + rare replay box since I got it. Crackdown 3 looks fun but will be gimped on first gen x1's no doubt. Compare that to the competitors who have at least 10+ games on the horizon i want even after this amazing Q1.

Gestault

Play games, not hype.

If you are not playing games on a console then it's time to get rid of it. It's as simple as that really.

You're right in general, but I don't think it's even as dramatic as that. If they have all the current platforms, it couldn't be about not having games to play. The months before E3 is the period when annoucements from every company are kept thin, so worrying about that is a little premature if you know the cycle, and I can't imagine saying getting rid of a platform right before E3 has ever been good advice. Right after if nothing's catching their attention? Oh yeah, that's legit.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Became moot to me when they announced the play anywhere program. Sold my Xbox 1 immediately as it had been gather dust, and just got a gaming capable PC (nothing near top of line) as I needed a new desktop anyway.

I'd realized MS just wasn't putting out enough I cared about anymore, despite 360 being my dominant platform last gen, to need a console around. Being able to get most of their exclusives on PC, as well having access to PC gaming in general, was a no brainer for me.

I do hope they pick it up with their exclusives though as the more good games coming out the better.

Top Bottom