• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I want to get excited for the future of Xbox but Microsoft aren't helping

pswii60

I'm always up for more mainline Halo and Gears, but I agree outside of that there's nothing I'm excited about either, especially with Scalebound gone.

I want all three platform holders to make me excited about the future but currently only Sony is doing anything for me. Although Nintendo will be instantly added to the list if a new MP is announced.

Social

Yeah, I'm not sure there is much life in that console left. They can shout "Scorpio" all they want, it still doesn't bring any games to the Microsoft platform.

Outrun

Not really, that's too little too late now. Also how do we know what they show at E3 also won't eventually get canned?

Microsoft have had plenty of time to get exclusives, develop new IP's but they either get cancelled, delayed or are your bland Halo, Forza, Gears games. Xbox offers nothing anymore.

You would have us believe MS cancels games for shots and giggles.

Like at this point they'd need to lock Cyberpunk 2077, RE2 remake, Dragon's Dogma 2 (lol), and maybe even one of Bethesda's upcoming new IP up as exclusives and then they'd have some artillery. And with Sony sitting at over 50mil ps4s sold there's no way any of that is happening.

wwm0nkey

How anybody can make out the Swtich is the best think ever is beyond me, when it's best game is a port of a Wii u game . Looking over that .MS lost the likes of Mass Effect, Lost Planet, Ninja Gadien 2 Ect to Sony last generation. I think both the PS4 and One are ace consoles with fab games on each platform

Portability factor is the big one for me. Is it the strongest? No but Zelda on the go is amazing and Snipperclips and Fast RMX are very good as well. Then we have all the indie games, Splatoon 2, Mario Kart 8, Arms, Smash Bros, Xenoblade 2, Fire Emblem coming all this year so its super easy to get excited about the platform.

I own all systems and a gaming PC, WiiU was a HUGE letdown but I am not getting that vibe at all from the Switch

I'm in a similar boat...I skipped XB1 but after seeing surprisingly good results from PS4 Pro I'm intrigued by Scorpio's power and the great controllers MS has been putting out.

But the exclusives couldn't leave me any flatter, especially at a time when PS4 is completely dominating in that regard, and now Switch is here. I only really feel like I missed out on Halo 5's campaign and Gears.

But, Scorpio at least has me interested in an MS E3 for the first time in years. They just need to do something convincing; 4K Call of Duty isn't going to do that.

Maximo

ZxoBcMW.png

Exchange it for a Switch or PS4 then OP seems like your not enjoying your time with the XboxOne.

Xbox only seems like a game-heavy platform going forward if you're not an enthusiast that owns all the other systems, and that saddens me.

Have I missed something, GAF?.

Nope this is pretty much it. I'm a multi console owner and play on pc too, and actually really enjoy my xbox one, but only through understanding that this is what the platform has is, and enjoying their first party output and the strengths of the platform like bc and play anywhere. If that's not working for you, I don't really think it's that big a deal, just move on. Honestly sounds like you have plenty of platforms to be excited about.

I guess if you desperately want xbox in your life but aren't feeling first party, buy a Scorpio so that you have a reason to play third party there and Sony will still have great stuff on their box. Whatever works for you.

Dunkley

Honestly as someone said in another thread with a similar premise, it's up to this E3 if any more optimism is to be placed in the Xbox brand from my side.

Don't get me wrong, I have no regret my purchase. UHD, 360 BC and the handful of exclusives/Play Anywhere titles well justified what I had to spend on an S.

However with that said, while I'd love to have a optimistic view on the platform's future, I am just about ready to give up on the platform if this E3 doesn't miraculously manage blow me away.

Scalebound's cancellation did more than enough to diminish any further optimism invested in the variety of Microsoft's console exclusive library, and with only some good BC titles to hope for as a saving grace, it'd be a lie to say my outlook is positive right now.

MarveI

I agree with your sentiment.

They have good games. Just not ''must have'' games besides Horizon 3 like PS or Nintendo have. And the horizon (no pun intended) doesn't excite me. Here's hoping E3 changes that but I'm not holding my breath considering the past few years have been quite alarming on this front. I don't know if they can ever turn this around. The whole ''no exclusives'' thing is really going to hurt them long term. It's what sets Nintendo, Sony apart from MS right now. That and the quality of them, not relying on the same output.

They actually started this generation really strong in my eyes in terms of exclusive games I was hype for.

With the cancellation of Scalebound none of their future games have me excited.

brawly

I know people are concerned about their output, but we should at least wait for E3 to get a better picture

E3 will be big for the publics confidence. If they only show Scorpio and third party games they'll have signed their doom.

I don't know what people expect MS to pull off at E3. They lack first party studios to reveal something huge, because we know what Rare's doing, we know what the Halo and Gears factory are doing, we know another Forza is coming, we know Crackdown is somewhere...so what's really left?

I know it's all down to taste but they imo haven't shown a megaton this gen at E3. Halo Collection and Scalebound might be closest to it (and we all know how those ended).

Maybe you know they'd announce new stuff at E3?

Didn't Phil say they'd be announcing stuff closer to release to avoid another scalebound situation?

Sure but when PS4 get's Nier Automata, Yakuza 0, Gravity Rush 2, Horizon Zero Dawn and the very near Persona 5, it really contrasts to Xbox One and... Halo Wars 2...

Microsoft did it to themselves though, relying too long on the Forza, Gears, Halo (and previously Fable) yearly rotation to keep themselves relevant.

I'm not seeing any difference from the 360 days when under Robbie MS closed down a lot of its In-house studios let Bizzare Creations go to Activision and Dice and Bioware go to EA and saw IP like Lost Planet, Ninja Gaiden 2, Dead Rising go to the PS3 . Xbox One as some quality games you know though I really like Gears 4, and Recore and to me the Live is still way better than PSN

oti

Banned
Wait for E3.
Wanna take a bet?

In all seriousness, unless MS has been working in the shadows for years anything they'll be showing will need years of work to release, if those games will be released at all. Of course they'll have some gameplay slices (at best) or CG trailers (more likely) to sell you Scorpio with ready for E3.
giphy.gif

Another thread on this trash? Really?
Calling Xbox trash is a bit much.

ps3ud0

What I still don't understand is why don't they broaden their appeal? Constantly relying on Forza, Gears and Halo must have converted by now everyone that was somewhat interested in those games - it's not like that tenant wasnt well-worn at the start of the generation already.

I just don't think they should pin their hopes on just having a souped up XO making a significant change if they don't do the same to their library, having the odd title here or there doesn't show a sea change in direction to give confidence to a potential (largely ignored) audience. If that's all they think they need to do and think that's the only reason Sony did well with the PS4 then I expect nothing more than retardation of the growing sales gap once Scorpio releases.

If I worked for Xbox I'd be embarrassed by my involvement so far - completely reactive to their competition or making changes that make their hardware platform seemingly redundant. Post-Kinect they've been floundering and have had many years and a launch to state their case.

They need to have more to show at E3 than Scorpio and the games we are well used to from them.

ps3ud0 8)

Coxy100

Banned
Sadly, I'm with the OP.

In Ori Xbox has my favourite game of the generation. The only game that has ever made me cry.

However all my other favourite games are on my PS4. Bloodborne, Ratchet and Unchartered are great games. I have been 'loyal' to xbox ever since the first Halo. Didn't own a PS2 or PS3, but after seeing all the great exclusives I bought a PS4 last year and have zero regrets - it is now my main console.

Used to love their franchises like Fable and Halo...but one has disappeared and other one was a massive disappointment.

Here's hoping Xbox gets back on track next generation :)

Duxxy3

We're kind of in wait and see mode right now. I'm not expecting much of anything from now until E3.

I'm not overly impressed with their upcoming lineup.

Phantom Dust HD... don't care. Sea of Thieves... don't care. We've seen nothing from Crackdown 3. Forza 7 will probably be good, but I haven't even started 6 yet. Cuphead looks good, and it has for the last 3 frickin years.

I hated what I saw of Scalebound, and I'm not sad that it was cancelled.

I am sad that there are no third party exclusives in the future. MS's exclusive lineup has a bunch of C and B level games. Which are fine as filler titles. Xbox was the "home" for a lot of big titles last generation. Even if they weren't completely exclusive. This generation Xbox isn't even the home of Battlefield 1. And they gave that game away in Xbox bundles. They had the marketing deal.

The lack of Japanese support is particularly hurtful this generation. Microsoft did not do enough to get Japanese support. That is a complete failure on their part.

Surfheart

I don't understand the Xbone/PC cross over arrangement. Isn't that just giving gamers another reason not to bother with an Xbox?

UCBooties

Maybe you know they'd announce new stuff at E3?

Didn't Phil say they'd be announcing stuff closer to release to avoid another scalebound situation?

They seem to have ended up in a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. Announce things too far out and customers resist hype because they've been burned by your cancellations before. Announce things too close to release and it contributes to the perception that you have nothing new or exciting to talk about in the meantime.

I'm willing to wait for E3, but the Scorpio reveal is gonna have to be pretty goddamn miraculous to get me to upgrade at this point. I don't care what the specs are if there's nothing I want to play on it. If they lower another fucking sports car onto the stage, I'm out.

Betty

Banned
I'm not seeing any difference from the 360 days when under Robbie MS closed down a lot of its In-house studios let Bizzare Creations go to Activision and Dice and Bioware go to EA and saw IP like Lost Planet, Ninja Gaiden 2, Dead Rising go to the PS3 . Xbox One as some quality games you know though I really like Gears 4, and Recore and to me the Live is still way better than PSN

Totally, but comparing the first 3 months of this year it's clear PS4 has the edge in games over Xbox One.

Along with their 1st party offerings they have quite a few very interesting 3rd party games coming this year.

Stuff like Cities Skylines, PoE, Cuphead, and Ashen, and Below. I dunno why apparently those doesn't seem to count.

Which let's face it are not going to sell consoles. People looking forward to those games already own xb1's or pc's.

Hyped as shit for SoD2 though.
I thought gamers were supposed to want games because they are good not whether they sell consoles or not.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Microsoft profited immensely of Sony's fuck up last gen, just like Sony does not from Microsoft's initial fuck up.

I feel kinda bad for Spencer. He's really trying but there isn't really much he can do. They would be able stop the sinking ship if Sony gets arrogant again but with Yosp and the rest at helm I do not see that happening. On contrary, the PlayStation seems to get even better as time goes.

That gen is clearly lost for MS. Do it better next time. Loved my 360 the first few years. What a great console that was.

spannicus

Another day another what xbox gonna do thread. Ive been with Microsoft from day one, shit i own every single console at the moment pc/vr included. Xbox one started off pretty good imo. Over the time period we got Quantum break/ new gears and a slew of other new ips. Sure those games didnt set the world on fire and Scalebounds cancellation fucking sucked, but no one knows how troubled that game was. It started out as a wii u game if im not mistaken.
Sony is killing it right now with new ips but there was also a time where they were relying on remasters and 3rd parties as well. Sony has way more devs than Microsoft so expect more 1st party games.
Shit i felt burned buying a wii u and 2 playstation vita's but I still bought a Switch and a PS4 pro.
Thing is i love playing these damn games. Im not gonna fly off the deep end because i havent seen what Microsoft is planning. Gonna wait until e3 and beyond
To make a decision as to how im gonna make future purchases. Still may purchase a Scorpio because in all honesty i love this shit.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I think MS are just letting Xbone tick over at the moment while they decide what happens next. Perhaps they'll wait to see how Scorpio does too. But since gaming is not a huge part of their MO and the push to turn Xbone into something more than just a gaming brand basically failed I doubt we'll see any kind of late-generation push like Sony with PS3, just continuing to play it steady and comparatively risk-free.
What I still don't understand is why don't they broaden their appeal? Constantly relying on Forza, Gears and Halo must have converted by now everyone that was somewhat interested in those games - it's not like that tenant wasnt well-worn at the start of the generation already.
Because that strategy is high cost and is really very unlikely to do anything about their current market situation.

jelly

If they are saving announcements for E3 then they need to focus more on improving the games they have, cough Halo MCC. Win 10 game issues etc. Make the most of what you have and the community will at least be warm and friendly, something to build on with trust. They could maybe tease a few games, start a Microsoft Studio video series with an inside look at some studios. It would be at least interesting seeing how things work, this is whoever in the ice cold Xbox Live server rooms.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I sold my Xbox One and Xbox One S and got the Switch recently. Unless they show a bunch of original content at E3, not gonna bother with Scorpio at all.

The only thing I could see Microsoft announcing that would be of any significant relevance is a Minecraft 2 exclusive to Xbox and PC.

Other than that, they'll have a hard time locking 3rd party exclusives and their studios are pretty much all committed to something already. I guess they could theoretically announce they're spinning up a few new studios, but that means new games in 3, 4 years.

It's tough, man.

Allforce

I am honestly having a hard time thinking of any titles they could announce at E3 that would really blow people away. The only "franchises" i can think of that might get people hyped would be maybe Bioshock and there's no way 2K is going to just hand that over to the 2nd place console exclusively when PS4 is so dominant worldwide.

New iPs? That's an uphill struggle in itself.

The fact is their messaging is so muddled even here 2 months away from E3. We've got half this forum thinking Scorpio is a brand new console with it's own exclusive games that MS is going to blow us away with when the reality is that it's an "XBox Pro" situation and there's been absolutely no indication of anything ground-breaking coming down the pipeline.

I have a feeling we're in for a "Wait a sec, that's IT?!" reaction in June after MS's press conference.

Thretau

The game situation just changes a lot over time. Like for example when PS4 didn't have anything to offer in late 2015 while Xbox had Halo 5 and RotTR. Now PS4 has had a steady stream of great games for a while.

Despite me taking some potshots at MS over in the 'MS needs an answer to Zelda & Horizon' topic, I think it's a little soon to be raising alarm bells for the whole division in general when we have E3 in a little over two months. They really need to bring it this year, with completely new games to show off Scorpio as well as stuff that's already announced.

Apparently Shinobi has said or implied that there's not much else they have ready to show that hasn't already been announced, but I've heard this from another gaffer (no Shinobi himself) so I don't know if it's reliable.

Sjefen

I listen to a fair amount of various podcast during a week, and the tone in MS centric podcasts seems to be pretty much on point with you OP. They talk alot about this years E3 for MS is a make or break. There is a very pessimistic undertone and I can understand why, MS been very quiet since last years E3 and they have cancelled a much anticipated game for many, while their competition have announced games and released various consoles. I think MS will come out swinging this E3, announcing various Japanese games before exclusive to PS4/PC, new powerful console, bew IP, etcetc.

Ghgghggh

Banned
I think the Scorpio strategy is to have the most powerful system to run the third party multi platform games. I'm not anticipating any major 2017 exclusives-- and the ones they announce won't be ready for another year or two.

Will this prospect excite gamers? It may sell to people who haven't jumped into the PS4: XB1 generation.

If I weren't locked into the Xbox ecosystem thanks to friends that refuse to play multiplayer on PS4, my Xbone would be collecting dust right now.

There's really no reason to go Xbox except for Halo. Hell, at least the Wii U had Bayonetta 2 and Mario Maker.

Spman2099

I get what you are saying, OP. However, I think we are going to see some amazing stuff this E3. I believe they are going to blow us all away. I believe Nintendo will also have a killer show. Basically, both companies need to show up.

I wonder if Sony is going to have a somewhat weak showing. They don't need it as bad. I wouldn't be surprised if they were blown out of the water by the amazing showings from both Microsoft and Nintendo.

Top Bottom