• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I wear earplugs to the movies now

JB1981

Ever since I started seeing movies in IMAX or Atmos I can't go to the movies anymore without bringing earplugs. Movie theaters today are too damn loud. I get that sound is important and movies should be immersive but this has gotten out of hand. Dunkirk and Blade Runner 2049 are two of the loudest movies I had ever seen and the decibel levels are def too high. I've read reports from AVSforum of people bringing their decibel readers into these theaters and the readings show the DB levels are in the "hearing damage" range. I don't want to be that guy but it's just too much now

IMAX is definitely loud. Nolan movies there are like going to a rock concert.

worst offender was Dunkirk recently. My poor ears.

Legit, first time I went to IMAX was to watch Dunkirk and oh my god I thought I was gonna die.

I felt my chest was gonna break into pieces from the vibrations and I had to move to the back of the cinema. Not sure if it made a difference but I was so overwhelmed that it felt...daunting?

Don't know how to describe it but was not a pleasant experience. It was even more difficult to hear the dialogue because of that, it felt muffled, especially when the pilots were talking on the radio.

Definitely not a good IMAX debut.

Tbf tho, there were some scenes that felt genuine as if I was a soldier about to be bombarded by a German plane because of how loud it was there, so it did pay off in some scenes. Like you could feel it as if you were there.

NYR

I was going to blast you as being an old man but then you used Dunkirk as an example and agree 100% with that one, saw that in IMAX and that actually hurt my ears too.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
The showing of Blade Runner I was at last night was so loud the high frequency sound was distorting. There's no way it was supposed to be up that high. About 1/3 of the audience had their hands over their ears much of the time. Whenever the music would start booming you saw hands go up all over the room.

JB1981

I was going to blast you as being an old man but then you used Dunkirk as an example and agree 100% with that one, saw that in IMAX and that actually hurt my ears too.

I am 36 and have tinnitus in my left ear. Even with quality earplugs these theaters are loud. It's insane!

I didn't see Dunkirk in IMAX (saw the regular 70mm showing) so I didn't feel it was loud to any extreme.

However, I did see The Golden Circle in Dolby Vision/Atmos. Jesus fuck that was loud.

SDCowboy

I've definitely been in some movies that were WAY too loud. There were a couple where as soon as the movie started, I wasn't sure I was going to be able to sit through it.

The trend of “loud equals immersive” of the last decade is really seeming to culminate with stuff like Dunkirk and others. Luckily when I saw it by myself in 70mm it was projected appropriately. But when I saw it again digitally it was blown out.

Though I remember this getting bad in the late 90s before it calmed down so maybe we are just at the end of another cycle.

Dice//

Banned
I actually avoided Dunkirk because of the loudness complaint. You get one good set of ears and I really don't wanna fuck em up for a movie.

Magnus

I'm quite sensitive to this kind of thing but haven't yet been overwhelmed in a theatre yet. Interstellar and DKR were both intensely loud but I could handle it. Never had my ears ring the next day like I would after a concert without earplugs. I always wear those now at concerts. Already have life-changing tinnitus and don't want to make it any worse.

Blade Runner in IMAX two days definitely distortion in its loudest parts, but again, not overwhelmingly loud. Maybe they had complaints the night before and turned it down?

Randdalf

Dunkirk was so effective for me because it was loud.

Also, I didn't think it was that loud, just louder than a normal film. Loud is a parade of motorcars thundering past you, I needed earplugs for that.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm sad to hear this about Blade Runner since I haven't seen it yet and I really hate tinnitus-inducing levels of loudness. I'm hoping my non-IMAX theater has it tuned down.

I need to find some decent earplugs other than the drugstore ones for movie / concert sort of purposes.

DJwest

The beginning of Kingsman 2 was really loud where I was, made me a little uncomfortable. It got better though

Hypron

Dunkirk's loudness was in the "wtf were they thinking" range in imax... I had to put my fingers in my hears to be able to bear that volume. I already have tinnitus in one ear (even though I've always been careful and never listened to anything anywhere near as loud as Dunkirk)... I don't want to fuck my other ear up as well.

nOoblet16

If the movie has music done by Hans Zimmer then it's likely going to make people a bit uncomfortable in cinema, especially if it's IMAX. It's funny how that correlation is actually a thing.

I don't go to the theater often. Hadn't been in years and literally had to hold my fingers in my ear because it was so loud. Now I bring plugs every time just in case

Effect

This has certainly been my take away from the last few films I've seen. Haven't gone as far as to bring earplugs yet but the loudness is one of the first things I notice right away. It's in part why I enjoy films more so watching them at home and why I don't really see films more then once unless it's something big and I'm super interested in.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Ever since I started seeing movies in IMAX or Atmos I can't go to the movies anymore without bringing earplugs. Movie theaters today are too damn loud. I get that sound is important and movies should be immersive but this has gotten out of hand. Dunkirk and Blade Runner 2049 are two of the loudest movies I had ever seen and the decibel levels are def too high. I've read reports from AVSforum of people bringing their decibel readers into these theaters and the readings show the DB levels are in the "hearing damage" range. I don't want to be that guy but it's just too much now

You're lucky to still have hearing levels to make movies seem loud. I guess if I were you I'd have earplugs to preserve my pristine hearing too.

TyrantII

The showing of Blade Runner I was at last night was so loud the high frequency sound was distorting. There's no way it was supposed to be up that high. About 1/3 of the audience had their hands over their ears much of the time. Whenever the music would start booming you saw hands go up all over the room.

Yup, I think some theaters are pushing their systems into the red zone. It's not the mixes, but their dials.

I got a headache from my Imax showing of blade runner. Even a few years back the sound wasn't up this high, distorting and such.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I saw John Wick 2 and that was the only time I was like turn this sh*t down. Every gun shot hurt.

Dunkirk was horrific for this, made me feel ill. Sadly for me, I think I'll just stop going to the cinema for now – it takes all the enjoyment out of films. Blu-ray / digital it is for me, at least then I'm in control.

I definitely enjoyed how loud Dunkirk was. Most movies don't get that pass, but for a movie centered around being in the middle of a war, where you get a jolt every time a bullet is fired, it couldn't not be loud.

dluu13

I've always thought that movies are too loud since I was a kid. That being said, I've probably gone to the theatre about ten times in the past decade.
I never thought of wearing earplugs until I saw Dunkirk, although the loudness was somewhat appropriate and added to the atmosphere of having bullets ripping through your plane or whatever. Still, I could have done without the loudness.

Soodanim

I have a pair of fairly cheap ear plugs that I've used once or twice in the past, and I don't remember them being bad so I will have to try and remember this next time I go. Thanks for the suggestion, GAF.

Certinty

Definitely depends on the movie, I've found most to be ok but stuff like Dunkirk and certain trailers are just crazy loud.

Effect

At times I think theaters don't even bother viewing the films themselves to even check if the sound is to loud or low as well. A film being to low is something I only encountered once.

This is a significant part of why if that system to view current theater movies in your home ever gets up and running at a good price you'll have millions jumping on it.

Hypron

I definitely enjoyed how loud Dunkirk was. Most movies don't get that pass, but for a movie centered around being in the middle of a war, where you get a jolt every time a bullet is fired, it couldn't not be loud.

Movie so immersive you get hearing damage just like actual veterans.

jett

D-Member
Watching Mad Max on an Atmos theater was absolutely ridiculous. My ears were literally ringing when the movie was over. I don't know if it's the theaters, the directors or the sound designers, but someone out there doesn't know what they're doing.

frankthetoad

Neo Member
Yup, I think some theaters are pushing their systems into the red zone. It's not the mixes, but their dials.

I got a headache from my Imax showing of blade runner. Even a few years back the sound wasn't up this high, distorting and such.
Same here. It was mainly some swelling portions of the music and some high action gun fire. Too freaking much. Can't wait for the UHD so I can watch it at a human, non-Replicant decibel level. Not a huge fan of listening to movies that are trying to make my ears bleed.

JB1981

The BR 2049 IMAX screening I went to literally had the screen visibly vibrating from the bass. You could actually see the ripple effect on the screen

Top Bottom