• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iDÉAME 2012 - Thread of Nintendo Indies Bonanza

ideame-cabecera.png

What is iDÉAME?

iDÉAME is an event organized by Nintendo Ibérica in association with the Complutense University of Madrid's Master in Game Design that brings some of the most renowed indie studios that have worked on Nintendo's digital stores together to share their knowledge with aspiring game developers. You can check out their games, too, including some games in early stages of development. (Fun fact: Two years ago, everyone could try both La-Mulana and Night Sky for WiiWare.)

But they come here to talk about how they work, not just to promote their games. iDÉAME isn't just another games conference. It's a very valuable experience for those who, like myself, dream every day of becoming a game developer one day. You can just talk to their devs during the conference breaks and ask them about everything, even while you're playing their games!

Since last year, there's also iDÉAME++, a contest where students show their early ideas to a jury composed of some of the devs. That's a great way to get some constructive criticism from a professional, and gain some experience for when you try to pitch a game to a publisher in the future.

What do you mean by "renowed indie developers"

Oh, well, no one in particular. Justt Gaijin Games, Nicalis, Renegade Kid, Two Tribes, Ronimo Games, Shin'en, 5th Cell, RedLynx, Zen Studios and DistractionWare alongside some lesser known studios like Different Cloth (lilt line), Broken Rules (And Yet it Moves), Nabi Studios (Toribash), vBlank Entertainment (Retro City Rampage) or Fishing Cactus (Shifting World) and a bunch of Spanish studios (Over the Top Games, Akaoni Studios, Mercury Steam, Pendulo, Pyro Studios...).

But wait, there's more! It's not just indies around here: Yoshinori Ono, Warren Spector, Yashiro Kimura, Dan O'Leary (n-Space) and Shu Takumi have also come at some point in time.

That's cool and stuff, but why should I care? Do they announce games there?

Well, two Spanish studios (Delirium and Abylight) will announce a new game for the 3DS tomorrow. Nicalis is also revealing an "iDÉAME exclusive", but it may not be a game. Besides that, just small tidbits and vague descriptions on what some of them may do next.

For the wannabe developers, here you'll hear people talking about their past experience, how to finance a game, what kind of education you need to make them, how to advertise a small title when you don't even have a marketing budget or new creation models like F2P or crowdfunding just to name a few recurring subjects.

Each year iDÉAME is about a different theme. This year's is how game ideas from the 80s can save the games industry from its current creative crisis, as evidenced by games like Mutant Mudds or Retro City Rampage.

How long have been this events there? Why I haven't heard about them before?

iDÉAME started four years ago. Since then, there have also been three iDÉAME Maestro editions (just a single conference) and a iDÉAME On Tour which took place in Zaragoza, also in Spain.

As for the later, I guess most people are not interested in this sort of thing. But that's why I'm making a thread this year: I wanted to know if GAF would like to see in translations of some of the conferences and interviews I've made during past editions. I
sometimes
write for Spanish site Revogamers, but I must say I come here first and foremost as a person who really wants to know what the hell should I do in order to join a game company.

What's this year program?

I'd love to show you an English version of this year's program, but I can't seem to find it anywhere in the official website, so I'll make you a quick translation:

• The return to the 80s for further innovation (Magnus Palsson, Jools Watsham, Brian Provinciano)
  • How do I get money to make my game? (Jacob Riis, Miguel Montesions, Dan O' Leary)
  • Enric Alvarez: The Girl who saved Mercury Steam
  • In addition to making games, what do I have to know? (Joost Van Dongen, Pedro González, Tim Symons, Carlos Fernández)
  • Creativity about superproductions (Aileen Viray, Tyrone Rodríguez, Guillaume Bouckaert, Collin van Ginkel)
  • iDÉAME Exclusive. Tyrone Rodríguez, co-founder of Nicalis
  • Master class: Heroes of Ruin
  • Specialize to differentiate (Benjamin Neil Sorens, Roberto García Lago, Josué Monchán)
  • Crowcreating (Julio Moruno, José Manuel Íñiguez, Francisco Mollá, Tyrone Rodríguez, Collin van Ginkel)

There's also a pretty cool contest of Pullblox custom maps called Pullblox++. Also, if you would like to know something I could try to get some info for you; and if you're there... Come say hi! :)

Personally, I'm a big fan of iDÉAME. It's pretty cool for Nintendo to do this, specially in a country like Spain where you wouldn't expect to see something like this. It's also been great to finally meet and talk to game developers, so I can rest assured that there are people out there that actually make a living out of game development. I hope someone here is also interested!

(By the way, please excuse the lack of images... I don't know how to make pretty banners for each sections like in some of the OTs here :( )

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Are we sure Iwata, Miyamoto and Reggie won't show up with tommy guns to kill all the indies as I read they totally hate them?

Looking forward to what they have to show :)

Yeah there were a couple of announcements today;

Akaoni announced Zombie Panic in Wonderland for eShop, and Renegade Kid announced that Planet Crashers and ATV Wild Ride may be also headed to the eShop.

http://www.revogamers.net/noticias/...anic-in-wonderland-arranca-en-eshop-8402.html
http://www.revogamers.net/noticias/juegos/ideame12-renegade-kid-ve-su-futuro-en-eshop-8403.html

Go Nintendo put up their article summarizing them, but we have a writer from revogamer here so I'm sure he/she will confirm these, if not already.

Super Villain Studios announced Order Up is now eShop-bound, but that was from yesterday or the day before, not sure if it was here.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/29797

And I'll say it even though the OP addresses this;

Why haven't I heard of this event before?! XD Kinda significant don' cha' think? And Nintendo (in that area) is hosting this? GEE.

And AWESOME that Shin'en's there, hope they have something to show. We already know Jett Rocket Super Surf(?) is eShop-bound, hope another retail game is announced.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Zombie Panic in Wonderland for eShop? Huh, I need to sit down

One of my favorite WiiWare games. Shiiiiz, this is great.

Isn't Planet Crashers based on some MMO license or something, and didn't Ignition recently go bankrupt?

I think it's a PC game that was made in-house by Ignition/UTV Games.

I have no damn clue about Ignition, I thought they were dead, apparently they still are operating in some capacity.

Yeah there were a couple of announcements today;

Akaoni announced Zombie Panic in Wonderland for eShop, and Renegade Kid announced that Planet Crashers and ATV Wild Ride may be also headed to the eShop.

http://www.revogamers.net/noticias/...anic-in-wonderland-arranca-en-eshop-8402.html
http://www.revogamers.net/noticias/juegos/ideame12-renegade-kid-ve-su-futuro-en-eshop-8403.html

Super Villain Studios announced Order Up is now eShop-bound, but that was from yesterday or the day before, not sure if it was here.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/29797

Yeah, I didn't want to link that in the OP in order to avoid linking to avoid using our own links. I wrote the Renegade Kid stuff myself, Jools Watsham told me about it while I interviewed him yesterday.

The Order Up announcement has nothing to do with iDÉAME, though.

Also, I'm sorry for not making this clear in the OP (I was crushed after a long day of work yesterday, please bear with me), but not every developer I listed is there this year, it was a list of everyone who has been since iDÉAME's inception. Shin'en came last year, for example.

----

Right now I'm heading there again. I'll keep you guys updated with the new game(s), but as I said earlier remember that this is not about announcing games; so if you're interested in game development drop a line!

Sorry for the double post, guys, but Nicalis has just announced 1001 Spikes for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS. It's a collaboration between Nicalis and 8-bits fanatics that will be released this year. It will be another downloadable game that will probably be one of the first Wii U eShop games. It will also be their first multiplayer game.

Looks a lot like La-Mulana, you control an explorer in an ancient ruin, but it takes a lot of inspiration of other NES games like Mega Man and Mario. It looks hard as hell! They showed a trailer, and the 3DS version will be playable later today

I had appointed an interview with Tyrone today, so I'll try to get as much info as I can!

Dascu

Sounds fun.

Also, if anyone sees or meets a dude from Pyro Studios, tell them to make a new Commandos game! Use Kickstarter if you need to!

Spain GAF represent!
Wanted to go with a group of people with whom we are working un a game right now, but being in madrid (we are from valencia, like akaoni studio) and sime people having to study we decide at the end not to go. Wanted to watch some of the indie talks as they seemed really interesting, even more for a starting group like us.
Maybe next year.
Its awesome to have such an amazing and serious videogane event here

giggas

Sorry for the double post, guys, but Nicalis has just announced 1001 Spikes for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS. It's a collaboration between Nicalis and 8-bits fanatics that will be released this year. It will be another downloadable game that will probably be one of the first Wii U eShop games. It will also be their first

Looks a lot like La-Mulana, you control an explorer in an ancient ruin, but it takes a lot of inspiration of other NES games like Mega Man and Mario. It looks hard as hell! They showed a trailer, and the 3DS version will be playable later today

I had appointed an interview with Tyrone today, so I'll try to get as much info as I can!

Oh wow cool. This is currently on XBLIG channel as Aban Hawkins and the 1001 Spikes. It's hard as hell. I never finished it, but I'd love to have a 3DS version for on the go.

I'm having lunch at a McDonalds right now, I could interview Tyrone but I'll have to wait a little more to check out 1001 Spikes.

He basically told me that he sees the game as "Super Meat Boy for Nintendo users who couldn't download it on WiiWare". We talked about the multiplayer, and he said that it could be something like NSMBWii. He didn't want to talk about Wii U screens uses, though.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
This is unrelated to Nintendo but this thread sparked it in my mind; you can see above that Ignition has shifted 3 3DS retail releases to the eShop. Separately, we haven't heard anything from Ignition about Dragon's Crown (PSVita and PS3) and the release date has come and gone.

A little while ago, a random poster showed up in the XBLA thread and posted a huge list of game titles. Some of them were already announced, others were not. Since then a number of the non-announced titles have been announced. One of the titles on the list is "Dragon's Crown".

So synthesizing all of those things, I'd speculate that Ignition is going digital-only, and Dragon's Crown is probably PSN/XBLA at this point.

This is unrelated to Nintendo but this thread sparked it in my mind; you can see above that Ignition has shifted 3 3DS retail releases to the eShop. Separately, we haven't heard anything from Ignition about Dragon's Crown (PSVita and PS3) and the release date has come and gone.

A little while ago, a random poster showed up in the XBLA thread and posted a huge list of game titles. Some of them were already announced, others were not. Since then a number of the non-announced titles have been announced. One of the titles on the list is "Dragon's Crown".

So synthesizing all of those things, I'd speculate that Ignition is going digital-only, and Dragon's Crown is probably PSN/XBLA at this point.

3 3DS games? Above only mentioned Order Up and Planet Crashers, ATV Wild Ride was never confirmed to have a publisher correct?

Although, you can add Fractured Soul for 3DS, but Ignition dropped it, but it is eShop-bound if all goes well IIRC.

D_prOdigy

It never stops being weird seeing Tim Symons' name about. Guy founded the teeny-tiny Nintendo fan-site I now help run.

Will now have to religiously research this latest Nicalis project that will never hit Europe.

watershed

Banned
Man I had no idea this event even existed. Great to hear about all these future Nintendo related digital releases, especially that new game for the 3ds and wii u.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=36943047&postcount=278

Mmmh...it seems Ignition is following Xseed's pattern: big concentration on digital platforms. Maybe, this is the same destiny Dragon's Crown will have?

Yeah, I'm thinking something similar too.

Sorry to keep you waiting, guys. They changed the location this year and this building had no free Wi-Fi, so I was stuck with one of my partner's 3G USB stick. He had to leave earlier, so I couldn't post here :/

I'm back home now, and I got lots of small tidbits of info from the interviews I've done that I'll share with you as I finish the transcriptions. It's been a lot of hard work, but a very rewarding experience in the end!

Anyways, I finally could try 1001 Spikes. Here are my first impressions with the 3DS build (warining: Spanish). To summarize things, the main thing is that there are two jump buttons, B lets you do a small jump and X lets you do a big one. In the first five screens you basically have to find to find what kind of jump you have to make in order to survive.

It was a very early build, where the rest of the buttons (besides A, which shoots your gun) didn't do anything and there wasn't anything in the touch screen earlier. It already has the 3D effect, which is the typical separation of foreground and background in 3DS' 2D games, and I must say it was pretty nice. I love my 3D in 8-bit games :D

I honestly don't know if there's already a trailer or screens somewhere else... We have posted four screens.

I'll keep you updated when we catch up with the translation and transcription work, I'm crushed right now. I couldn't get a firm release date for Mutant Mudds in Europe, but Tyrone from Nicalis told me that we should expect VVVVVV in May, Ikachan and NightSky in June/July and that they're still working with Nigoro on La Mulana.

Oh, and by the way, Two Tribes co-founder Collin gifted me this awesome Toki Tori USB stick.

wabo

Banned
Sounds fun.

Also, if anyone sees or meets a dude from Pyro Studios, tell them to make a new Commandos game! Use Kickstarter if you need to!

Staff in charge of Commandos was long gone. Current Pyro focuses on movies and taking some subsidies. More profitable (for them) than making games.

The what now? Can you summarize Fare?
Sure!

The game's English title will be The Delusions of von Stottendorf (and something else that I can't remember, it's not a direct translation of the Spanish title). The game was already announced a couple of year ago, when Delirium won an innovation contest with it, but the two studios met here in iDÉAME and decided to join forces on the project alongside four other non-gaming studios including an award-winning Spanish animation studio (whose name I can't remember, sorry).

You control a mad Count, Duke or something, although they didn't want to say too much about the story. The video you see in the link was the pre-Abylight version, although the game mechanics will remain unchanged: In each stage you'll have to move around the rooms using the touch screen (like in Rooms: The Main Building) while you use the gyro sensor to rotate the room and make new paths.

There will be around ten stages (I don't know if they will be subdivided in some way or how long they will be), based around certain parts of his mansion (i.e. the attic or the graveyard). They don't know when will they finish, but I don't think a 2012 release is likely.

I talked to them later, and for those wondering you won't be able to use 3D if you move the room with the gyro. They told me that you'll be able to move it with the Circle Pad if you want to see 3D, so there will be different control methods. And that's all we know so far!

CaVaYeRo

hey hi ho! iDÉAME is always such a nice meeting.

Nice you did this. I'll share some reports later! ^^

I attended first day (Sat), but it was cool enough, some very interesting quotes too. I missed yesterday's Nicalis announcement though :(

Namelist was way more balanced this year. No Japanese genius, but really good setup this time. And Miyamoto message was sooooo touching :)

We've just put up our interview with Zen Studio's Neil Sorens. This one is in English, so go ahead and take a look if you want to! It was very short, and as a fun fact I'll say that while we were talking opera started to sound loudly from another room. It was weird as fuck, but I had to take that part off the text or it would have looked like an Iwata Laughs :lol

Basically, the interesting parts are the following:
- Zen Pinball 3DS will recieve DLC tables "this year". They're waiting for the right time to add the support, so don't expect it soon.
- Marvel Pinball is also coming to the 3DS, and it will also have DLC. I don't know if this was already known, to be honest.
- The're working on two non-pinball games. One will be coming to the 3DS, one initially won't.
- I asked him if the Wii U controller suits well pinball games and... Well, he said that it would be pretty cool to use it, that he couldn't talk about it and then he started to laugh :lol

------

By the way, if anyone is interested in a translation for the conferences in the OP go ahead and ask for it! (Well, unless it's the Enric Alvarez one, we didn't attend that one in order to get some job done).

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
By the way, if anyone is interested in a translation for the conferences in the OP go ahead and ask for it! (Well, unless it's the Enric Alvarez one, we didn't attend that one in order to get some job done).
*raised hand*

..And thanks for the excellent job of reporting from the event!

The Boat

It never stops being weird seeing Tim Symons' name about. Guy founded the teeny-tiny Nintendo fan-site I now help run.

Will now have to religiously research this latest Nicalis project that will never hit Europe.

Amazing isn't it? Always blows my mind.

CaVaYeRo

So, I interviewed Dan O'Leary, n-Space CEO, last Saturday:

http://www.gamereactor.es/articulos/16311/Los+h%E9roes+pioneros+de+n-Space/

Got some cool stuff on Heroes of Ruin (they are taking advantage of the recently unlocked extra processing power, it'll have a deep website integration ala online community). We also talked about canceled Winter (they want to go back to it, Wii U is there and Kickstarter shows new possibilities).

Then, since I love touch controls and I feel they're being abandoned on 3DS, we talked about their expertise on the DS with FPSs like Call of Duty. They think people&devs are expecting analog pads, but they're still betting for it. Indeed, Dan says "we'd love to make a FPS for the 3DS".

Until recently, only one of the two CPU cores was available to developers, the second core was completely locked down for background tasks. Nintendo recently unlocked that core. Should be available for games using firmware 3.1+ as far as I understand.
Gee, this sounds an awful lot like how the PSP went. Wasn't there a CPU for that that was deliberately underclocked or something, until a firmware update allowed it to be used at full capacity?

*raised hand*

..And thanks for the excellent job of reporting from the event!

Which one do you want? Of the ones I attended to, the first one was the best but I guess some of the others are interesting too. The crowfunding one was actually only public voting wich game they'd like to make as a first project and we didn't cover the Enric Alvarez one. I listed them all in the OP.

So, I interviewed Dan O'Leary, n-Space CEO, last Saturday:

http://www.gamereactor.es/articulos/16311/Los+h%E9roes+pioneros+de+n-Space/

Cool! If anyone else has made a post about the event feel free to post it too.
By the way, CaV, I didn't ask about Winter but we ended talking about it and Kickstarter :lol
. He also told me a couple of little tidbits of info, nothing earth-shattering but somewhat remarkable. But I still have to translate that one!

wsippel

Banned
Gee, this sounds an awful lot like how the PSP went. Wasn't there a CPU for that that was deliberately underclocked or something, until a firmware update allowed it to be used at full capacity?
Yep, the PSP CPU was running at 222MHz for a while, until Sony allowed developers to switch it to the advertised clock speed of 333MHz.

Top Bottom