• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Id Software: Regarding Doom on PC

dmr87

The DOOM Open Beta finished earlier this week and thanks to your participation over the course of the weekend, we got a lot of great information. The server backend infrastructure held up really well to the load, and we got all of the data we need in preparation for the worldwide launch on May 13. Based on your feedback we had already made a considerable number of updates and improvements between the Closed Betas and Open Beta, and we appreciate all the additional feedback you shared with us during the Open Beta.

In particular we got a lot of feedback from the PC community with regards to capped framerates, monitor support, multi-monitor support and other PC features that weren’t emphasized in the Beta for various development reasons. So to clarify: At launch the PC framerate will not be capped. Further, the PC version of DOOM will expose a comprehensive set of advanced game and rendering options that will allow players to dial the experience up or down based on their individual desires or hardware capabilities.

PC gaming is in our DNA here at id. Just like so many of you, we also love to tinker with settings to get the exact experience we want – and every ounce of performance our systems can handle. We will be running an uncapped framerate on PC at launch, supporting ultra-wide 21:9 monitors, allowing wider FOV, and providing a wide variety of advanced settings that allows any PC connoisseur the opportunity to make intelligent tradeoffs between visual fidelity and performance.

We also know many of you are interested in some deeper insight into the types of fundamental changes we’ve made to our engine technology over the last few years. In the coming weeks, we’ll be giving you an inside look at idTech 6 engine architecture, our rendering pipeline, our customization tech and other initiatives we have underway to broaden our minimum PC spec even further than our current expectations.

Our current expected PC advanced settings include:

Manually Lock Framerate (un-locked by default)
Lights Quality
Chromatic Aberration Toggle
Shading Quality
Post Process Quality
Particles Quality
Game F/X Quality
Decal Quality
Directional Occlusion
Reflections Quality
Depth of Field Toggle
Decal / Texture Filtering
Motion Blur Quality / Toggle
Sharpening Amount
Lens Flare Toggle
Lens Dirt Toggle
Texture Atlas Size
Show Performance Metrics
Resolution Scaling
UI Opacity
Film Grain
Rendering Mode
FOV Slider
Simple Reticle
Show First-person Hands Toggle
Use Compute Shaders
Vsync (support or triple buffering)

Thank you again for the feedback and support. We hope that, regardless of your preferred platform, you come back to learn more about the technical work we’ve done on DOOM. We’re excited to share it.

https://bethesda.net/#en/events/game/doom-on-pc/2016/04/22/113

bathsalts

The framerate is not going to be capped at 60? didnt see that coming, thought it was an engine limitation carried over from tech5.

now to remix the coors light level audio please.

I may consider giving it a chance at launch now, Multiplayer was alright but I'm more or less looking forward to the campaign

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The framerate is not going to be capped at 60? didnt see that coming, thought it was an engine limitation carried over from tech5.

now to remix the coors light level audio please.

One of the id Software Frankfurt devs said on Twitter (at least I think it was Twitter) that it did take a lot of effort for the very reason you suggest.

BiggNife

My biggest issue with the Doom beta on PC was that after a half hour or so the game would just suddenly start running at 20fps and the only way I could fix it was by restarting the game. Hopefully that gets resolved.

Sophia

PC gaming is in our DNA here at id. Just like so many of you, we also love to tinker with settings to get the exact experience we want – and every ounce of performance our systems can handle. We will be running an uncapped framerate on PC at launch, supporting ultra-wide 21:9 monitors, allowing wider FOV, and providing a wide variety of advanced settings that allows any PC connoisseur the opportunity to make intelligent tradeoffs between visual fidelity and performance.

Well then. I was going to rent this on PS4 precisely becaue of this issue in the beta.... but guess now I'll have to pick it up on PC for single player eh?

Ulysses 31

Show First-person Hands Toggle

But what about contact shadows of the player? Hate you see yet another shadowless self in FPS games with good lighting.

26BkNTRWHGaPFCQUw.gif

Bolivar687

Banned
Glad framerate is unlimited. I hope VSync and the in-fame limiter don't have arbitrary 60 limits, either. Hate going to the control panel for that.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Game actually has several options on console (FoV, chromatic aberration, and three motion blur presets) so I'm not surprised there's lots of options on PC.

Justinh

One of the id Software Frankfurt devs said on Twitter (at least I think it was Twitter) that it did take a lot of effort for the very reason you suggest.

Oh, great (not sarcastic).

When I saw it just sticking around 60 in the beta (I think it was actually 62?) and after being upset about idtech5, I just kinda accepted it. I hadn't been following the development of idtech 6 at all. I assuming it still doesn't like SLI but it ran well enough.

Game actually has several options on console (FoV, chromatic aberration, and three motion blur presets) so I'm not surprised there's lots of options on PC.

I'd like to see more console games with an FoV slider. Great that it's here. Did The Division have one? Or was that something else? I know Warframe has one, and that's a F2P game.

Lens Dirt Toggle
sweet! Not tech related, but I hope there's a "just guns" mode in multiplayer too(no grey-nades, no demons, no melee...no mercy!), if not at release, then soon after.

The Doom beta was fine enough, but I'm really glad to see such an honest, open line of communication between devs and consumers. This is the kind of dialogue that needs to be promoted.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Oh, great (not sarcastic).

When I saw it just sticking around 60 in the beta (I think it was actually 62?) and after being upset about idtech5, I just kinda accepted it. I hadn't been following the development of idtech 6 at all. I assuming it still doesn't like SLI but it ran well enough.

Yeah, the beta has no SLI support and I feel that id would have mentioned it today if it were in the pipeline.

Mifec

Great as it should be too bad they outsourced the multiplayer to a company that made a console shooter out of it. No Doom fan wanted this.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'd like to see more console games with an FoV slider. Great that it's here. Did The Division have one? Or was that something else? I know Warframe has one, and that's a F2P game.
Division has a CA toggle but not FoV. Other games on PS4 with FoV sliders are Borderlands Handsome Collection, Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Shadow Warrior, and even Mirror's Edge (I'm in the beta). I really hope it becomes more common.

And what about "AA Toggle"? As far as I can remember there were only options for different kinds of AA, but no option for "AA - off"...

Since I'm buying this game primarily for the single player, this is good news. Crank it up.

However if after the multiplayer beta, the only changes they have to report are engine/graphical stuff, I am disappointed. There's a lot to improve upon gameplay-wise that toggling a setting won't fix.

Justinh

Yeah, the beta has no SLI support and I feel that id would have mentioned it today if it were in the pipeline.
Yeah, good point. I wasn't expecting it, but it ran well enough with one 970.
Division has a CA toggle but not FoV. Other games on PS4 with FoV sliders are Borderlands Handsome Collection, Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Shadow Warrior, and even Mirror's Edge (I'm in the beta). I really hope it becomes more common.
Ah! Thanks. Yeah, when I really get into a game where I end up playing it for long periods at a time, I move my console from the main TV in the living room to a smaller one on a swing arm next to my couch. I like bumping up the fov when the screen is that close to my face.
Don't know why I forgot about Shadow Warrior, but yeah it would be nice if it became more common.

Nzyme32

Control F "gameplay" "loadouts" "speed" Not found.

:(

It doesn't seem like they care for getting that kind of old school Doom / Quake / UT gameplay and speed in there. They seem to just want to push what works out for a generalised mass of people.

I'm probably going to only pick the game for Single Player at a later date, and get a multiplayer shooter fix from they myriad of other games that are just far more fun.

My nipples are so hard for settings I don't understand yet will be upset when I have to turn them down at 1440p leading to me potentially buying new hardware I don't need.

But what about contact shadows of the player? Hate you see yet another shadowless self in FPS games with good lighting.

26BkNTRWHGaPFCQUw.gif

Most FPS games (read every single one basically except for F.E.A.R., Condemned, Riddick, ARMA, or Star Citizen) fake the first person view model. It is in fact on a separately rendered plane with a different FOV usually than the rest of the world around it. To have that shadow maintain coherency, it would have a perfectly mirrored in third person proxy.
---
The compute shader setting probably enables Async Compute under Vulkan I imagine. AMD owners should be happy about that :D

The game is fundamentally comprimised by the console slowness and simplicity, it's generic and doesn't appeal to any group. Adding load outs and experience and customization to capture the console cod crowd never works and won't keep people playing on either system.

I was really excited for this game but the design for the multiplayer has turned me off to it so bad. I have no faith in them to do the single player well either.

nkarafo

I love when you can see your own shadow in FPS games. Some games were mentioned above me but the first one i remember using it by default was Riddick.

The DOOM 3 leaked alpha also had a command where you could enable it. Not sure about the finished versions though.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Ok so if PC gaming is in their blood I expect we'll be seeing a server browser, public server files and modding tools ?

Top Bottom