• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Id Software: Regarding Doom on PC

CronoShot

Manually Lock Framerate (un-locked by default)
Lights Quality
Chromatic Aberration Toggle
Shading Quality
Post Process Quality
Particles Quality
Game F/X Quality
Decal Quality
Directional Occlusion
Reflections Quality
Depth of Field Toggle
Decal / Texture Filtering
Motion Blur Quality / Toggle
Sharpening Amount
Lens Flare Toggle
Lens Dirt Toggle
Texture Atlas Size
Show Performance Metrics
Resolution Scaling
UI Opacity
Film Grain
Rendering Mode
FOV Slider
Simple Reticle
Show First-person Hands Toggle
Use Compute Shaders
Vsync (support or triple buffering)

This needs to be a thing in every game that has it.

Lookin at you, Bloodborne.

jfoul

Anybody know if the retail copies from Amazon and Best Buy are Steam keys? I'm guessing they are, like Fallout 4. Need to flex my GCU discount.

Would be cool to hear feedback based on the negative feedback regarding the actual gameplay and design cuz...a lot of us are not happy with it at all.

MiguelItUp

Would be cool to hear feedback based on the negative feedback regarding the actual gameplay and design cuz...a lot of us are not happy with it at all.

There's also a ton of negative reviews from that very Steam page that were hard to take seriously. People leaving negative comments that opened the game for less than 5 - 10 minutes.

The right thing to do would be to ignore it and just let the full release do the talking. Take the high road.

There's also a ton of negative reviews from that very Steam page that were hard to take seriously. People leaving negative comments that opened the game for less than 5 - 10 minutes.

The right thing to do would be to ignore it and just let the full release do the talking. Take the high road.

I doubt that will stop the negative reviews.

sflufan

Banned
Anybody know if the retail copies from Amazon and Best Buy are Steam keys? I'm guessing they are, like Fallout 4. Need to flex my GCU discount.

Yes, they will be Steam keys as this is a Steamworks title like all Bethesda games.

Thank you, ID/Bethesda, for getting this right at launch. Other pc devs - please take notice of this. The most important settings that I care about are all taken care of here:

motion blur
chromatic aberration
film grain
uncapped frame rate

There is nothing I hate more than blurry graphics and locking the frame rate in pc games. Well done, ID/Bethesda! This makes the purchase of the pc version a no brainer now!

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
i wish. server browsers have gone the way of the dodo, and i don't really understand why

I was being sarcastic :p We know it won't have any of those unfortunately. Not that I think the PC version is going to be bad or anything technically, it's a shame about the mod tools as well but i'm guessing it's due to that engine and the fact that RAGE's mod tools took forever to come out and very few people use them.

I at least hope Snapmap is good.

Fugu

PC gaming is in their blood -- too bad it's not in their multiplayer.

I'll be picking this up for the single-player. Also, I'm impressed that as a collective our standards have gotten so low that features standard as recently as five years ago and for as long as twenty years ago being included in a game is considered something worth applauding.

I'll be picking this up for the single-player. Also, I'm impressed that as a collective our standards have gotten so low that features standard as recently as five years ago and for as long as twenty years ago being included in a game is considered something worth applauding.

Yeah the single player is the only thing that I'm holding out hope for.

Slythe

The one day with the beta made me go from casually looking forward to this to day 1. Can't comprehend the backlash it got on Steam reviews.

Manually Lock Framerate (un-locked by default)
Lights Quality
Chromatic Aberration Toggle
Shading Quality
Post Process Quality
Particles Quality
Game F/X Quality
Decal Quality
Directional Occlusion
Reflections Quality
Depth of Field Toggle
Decal / Texture Filtering
Motion Blur Quality / Toggle
Sharpening Amount
Lens Flare Toggle
Lens Dirt Toggle
Texture Atlas Size
Show Performance Metrics
Resolution Scaling
UI Opacity
Film Grain
Rendering Mode
FOV Slider
Simple Reticle
Show First-person Hands Toggle
Use Compute Shaders
Vsync (support or triple buffering)

GLKXcpA.gif

Quite a few titles releasing this year has that option on consoles.

Yes, it's quite sad that it's come to this now. But I'm just thankful that this is being done correctly in a big title.

NIN90

The one day with the beta made me go from casually looking forward to this to day 1. Can't comprehend the backlash it got on Steam reviews.

Because it's not what it advertises itself to be (an arena shooter)?
Because they took the granddaddy of FPS and stuck loadouts, taunts and other "modernizations" in it?

I mean, not agreeing with the backlash is one thing but it's perfectly clear why there would be a backlash.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Certain Affinity also has a hand in the multiplayer development, but I would imagine id is calling the shots. No idea.

I thought the multiplayer was being entirely handled by Certain Affinity ? With SnapMap being outsourced to someone else and id handling only the single player component.

mtm5925

I thought the multiplayer was being entirely handled by Certain Affinity ? With SnapMap being outsourced to someone else and id handling only the single player component.

Certain Affinity has a big role in the MP but I'm not too sure if the entire MP portion is handled by them. At least I know some of id programmers are still working on SnapMap.

dogen

I wonder if resolution scaling means the same dynamic resolution scaling that they use on console. I heard that it would be hard to pull off on pc because of the extra latency, but if they actually did it, that would be awesome.

I wonder if resolution scaling means the same dynamic resolution scaling that they use on console. I heard that it would be hard to pull off on pc because of the extra latency, but if they actually did it, that would be awesome.

I think people were saying there was resolution scaling in the multiplayer beta, but I didn't notice it.

Seems that the options confirms it though. A toggle option for that is great.

dr_rus

It usually means under/supersampling. I don't think that PCs need the dynamic resolution change at all.

dogen

It usually means under/supersampling. I don't think that PCs need the dynamic resolution change at all.

Yeah, you're probably right.

Plus, I'm not sure how you would really use it anyway, even if it could work in a strictly technical sense.

Bigrx1

Banned
If PC gaming is in their blood why does the Doom multiplayer feel like a console shooter? Kind of frustrating really.

BONKERS

Just fix the abhorrent texture streaming for the SP game and i'll be happy. (Hopefully the SP is a good mix of Doom 3 and Classic Doom)

Nothing is going to save the game design of the MP at this point. (I don't get the whole Console Shooter argument personally aside from poor balance and hack modules/Loadouts not belonging at all) And not including scalability into the OB was a mistake causing it to run poorly for a lot of people.
At 900p, game was using ~45-62% GPU usage of a heavily OC'd GTX 980 on my rig.
I think people were saying there was resolution scaling in the multiplayer beta, but I didn't notice it.

Seems that the options confirms it though. A toggle option for that is great.

No, there was not a single option in the OB relating to resolution up or downsampling.

CA shouldn't be in any game ever.(Ok there are exceptions)

But if it is in. Then you need a toggle or i'm not touching your game period.
It gives me headaches.

dogen

Just fix the abhorrent texture streaming for the SP game and i'll be happy.

If you're referring to rage/wolfenstein here, you can eliminate it(or at least mostly, it's barely noticeable on my gtx 950+g3258 combo) with the right pages per frame setting, which will depend on your cpu and hard drive speed.

kuYuri

Awesome to see id being on top of these often requested features. There were people concerned online about things like the capped framerate, low amount of graphical setting options, monitor support, etc.

I would mention that it's a beta and it's best to wait for final release to see if extra graphical options would be added, lo and behold.

Inviusx

Glad to see some more positive buzz in this thread. I came in expecting the usual hate that has been going around. I was reading a different website this morning about this article and someone was complaining that the uncapped frame-rate would result in his computer having to work harder and heat up his components. I couldn't have slapped my forehead hard enough.

Durante

Wow! So many settings.

Any other game had comparable number of graphics settings?
It's still weaksauce compared to any Croteam game.

Just look at The Talos Principle. (Which also has a DX9, DX11, OpenGL and Vulkan renderer :p)

I love Croteam.

Abounder

Banned
Doom beta on Steam was incredibly disappointing. Good to see some response but it's too little too late, maybe I'll get it on sale

Ok so if PC gaming is in their blood I expect we'll be seeing a server browser, public server files and modding tools ?

:-(

I'm the most surpised about a show hands toggle in a big AAA game.

It's still weaksauce compared to any Croteam game.

Just look at The Talos Principle. (Which also has a DX9, DX11, OpenGL and Vulkan renderer :p)

I love Croteam.

Didn't they do this back in like 2005 with serious sam 2 as well?

Top Bottom