• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Idle Thumbs 65 - Dance of the Treasure Goblin

Wow, TFoL is really amazing. So short, yet so sweet. I wish there was so much more of it!

Really great job with the music, Chris. Lent a lot to the overall atmosphere and tone, and just sounded cool while doing so.

Exuberant!

Jintor

Good to see the good old tradition of being completely sidetracked by a future idle meme is well intact. Glory to the Thumbs.

You guys are off to a great start. Hopefully Max Payne will be modded with the exact model of D3's Treasure Goblin, and the modder blames Blizzard for copying the Treasure Golbin concept from an earlier game.

Mington

I want to play spec ops the line at some point. Is this podcast particularly spoilerific? considering I have no interest in playing the game for its 'game play' only interested its narrative

Sober

That's weird that Chris didn't feel anything with the actual art of shooting and stuff in Max Payne 3, because that was awesome, especially watching people react when you do. But I do agree with some of that weird disconnect like golden guns or "whoops I'm a klutz" leading to some insane action movie stunt or the whole "well I'm shitty" overtones in general.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
That's weird that Chris didn't feel anything with the actual art of shooting and stuff in Max Payne 3, because that was awesome, especially watching people react when you do. But I do agree with some of that weird disconnect like golden guns or "whoops I'm a klutz" leading to some insane action movie stunt or the whole "well I'm shitty" overtones in general.
Tribes Ascend felt more like a Chris Remo game to me than MP3 did. Skiing in Tribes is all kinds fun.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Chris, Jake, whomever - by osmosis, you probably know that Spec-Ops has a twist ending, but it also has a
"twist"-twist
ending. I would listen to the Gamespot podcast with the head writer after you finish the game, but the clues are all there for you to get it the first time around.

Corto

Do whatever!

YES. WE WILL DO WHATEVER YOU SAY!

life-of-brian-all-individuals.jpg

New thumbs! Yay. And I have received the code for the game too. Double yay.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
7e48ec2b_larry-david-faint1qqx.gif

I've been looking forward to this more than the birth of first child.

...I'm... not going for father of the year.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
oh my god, Jake nailed the Hans Zimmer thing

Shaneus

I haven't played 30 Flights yet, but man, make sure you try Gravity Bone beforehand. Seriously only took around 10 mins or so, but it was such a quick trip from going to clueless to kinda absorbed to kinda sad. Very impressed!

Xater

I don't think I agree with Chris on Diablo 3 at all but the conversation was still pretty funny. Your guys love for Far Cry 2 continues to be baffling.

Shaneus

Well, 30 Flights was a mindbender, for sure. Probably (definitely?) best analysed as an interactive movie than a game, but I did quite enjoy it. Completely forgot that the music was done by Chris until I saw it in the credits... was absolutely one of the standouts of it (no arse-to-smoke-blowing intended) even before I realised who did it.

It's awesome that the podcast is back, but the discussion seemed to be oddly centered on what they didn't like about the games discussed. I'm sure that wasn't intentional, it just was something I noticed.

So great the have Thumbs back. Solid first ep.

I enjoyed the D3 discussion. I am hitting the wall of enjoyment with that game myself. I am hoping I can get one or two items to maybe sell on the RMAH to break even with my D3 purchase. I feel it would be a fitting end since the AH and RMAH are the two biggest hindrances to enjoying the game for me personally. Loved hearing about the music side of things and other minutia that bothered Chris but I was surprised that the auction houses were never mentioned.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Well, 30 Flights was a mindbender, for sure. Probably (definitely?) best analysed as an interactive movie than a game, but I did quite enjoy it. Completely forgot that the music was done by Chris until I saw it in the credits... was absolutely one of the standouts of it (no arse-to-smoke-blowing intended) even before I realised who did it.

I think Gravity Bone was better, but Thirty Flights is more impressive. Goldblum mode is the greatest thing ever.

Aaron

Loved both Gravity Bone and Thirty Flights, but felt the latter was a little too disjointed. I liked the effect, but the frequent sharp cuts near the end almost seemed like a bug. Both games have fantastic endings, though the best thing if they were rolled together in a single game with a touch more content to join them together.

Jake

Will the progress casts be put on the site at some point?
Yep they'll be going up at some point soon, here. The backers-only casts will likely remain exclusive for a while, but we'll be linking the whole series on the archive page.

Loved both Gravity Bone and Thirty Flights, but felt the latter was a little too disjointed. I liked the effect, but the frequent sharp cuts near the end almost seemed like a bug. Both games have fantastic endings, though the best thing if they were rolled together in a single game with a touch more content to join them together.
The disjointed feeling went away for me after a few playthroughs. Don't know what that means, or if that's even worth saying, but it did. Also, unrelated but there are a ton of little details around in the various vignettes to help you place the timeline together if you want (like Anita's bionic leg), which is stuff I didn't really notice until I played it a few times.

Really great to have you guys back.

Chris, did you play Alan Wake? Interesting to hear of what you thought of Remedy's last game in light of playing Max Payne 3.

randomwab

Exuberant.

Ehhh heh heh heeeeeh hnng ha hnng heeeh

Edit: Also, on Max Payne 3; some of Chris' complaints mirror my own, mainly the dissonance between Max as a character and everything that was going on around him and how the game expected me to play. I also couldn't stand how often the game would take control away from me, sometimes at points for no good reason other than to shove more of their stylistic shit down my throat. Toward the end of the game, I started to find it unbearable.

And while I did think the gunplay was decent, the level design never really supported it like the first two games. In those, each area was almost it's own self-contained puzzle of how to clear a room of enemies while constantly keeping in motion. Payne 3 really felt like a step backward in that regard, I honestly think the cover system was part of the problem as it didn't force you to stay on your toes like the Remedy games.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Really great to have you guys back.

Chris, did you play Alan Wake? Interesting to hear of what you thought of Remedy's last game in light of playing Max Payne 3.

I didn't; I just kind of forgot about it.

Chris are you going to put the 30 Flights "OST" on something like BandCamp or is the game as we got it through the Kickstarter the only way to enjoy it?

Because if not then I have to go all Treasure Goblin on the audio files in the Steam release files :D

Jake

Chris are you going to put the 30 Flights "OST" on something like BandCamp or is the game as we got it through the Kickstarter the only way to enjoy it?

We're looking at getting the soundtrack up on Steam as well. Failing that, it's something we want to get out there.

Because if not then I have to go all Treasure Goblin on the audio files in the Steam release files :D

We'll be selling the soundtrack through Steam soon. (Presumably once the game is up for sale.)

We're looking at getting the soundtrack up on Steam as well. Failing that, it's something we want to get out there.

We'll be selling the soundtrack through Steam soon. (Presumably once the game is up for sale.)

Thanks for clarifying. Guess I'll buy another copy (of the OST) then (but only if it's proper quality, at least a lossy 320 kbps I hope ;) ).

Feels good huh sucking money out of our pockets.. :D Don't get too used to it.

Top Bottom