• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Idle Thumbs 65 - Dance of the Treasure Goblin

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I get the thrust of what you're saying, but it remains a very superficial complaint to me.

v0mitg0d

This is my first Idle Thumbs and I really really enjoyed it--bravo guys! :)

I decided to back the crew on Kickstarter ($50), mainly because of Mr Remo. I got to know him way back in the day when we did a podcast together (Played - A Gamer's Podcast) and think he's a pretty fantastic dude. How could I not support this venture right?

Ok so the question I now have is where do I start? I've not listened to a single episode in their backlog. Do any ones stick out in particular? Jeff Goldblum & Far Cry 2 right?

Sneds

I decided to back the crew on Kickstarter ($50), mainly because of Mr Remo. I got to know him way back in the day when we did a podcast together (Played - A Gamer's Podcast) and think he's a pretty fantastic dude. How could I not support this right?

Ok so the question I now have is where do I start? I've not listened to a single episode in their backlog? Do any ones stick out in particular? Jeff Goldblum & Far Cry 2 right?

I would honestly start with episode one and make my way through all of them. There's good discussion and funny moments in every episode.

El Sloth

Banned
I get the thrust of what you're saying, but it remains a very superficial complaint to me.
Don't underestimate the difference that a little change in wording can make. If I still remembered what the articles were called I'd link you to some really cool studies showing how the most minute and seemingly insignificant changes in language could change the way people viewed a certain topic. Shame my memory is shit.

I decided to back the crew on Kickstarter ($50), mainly because of Mr Remo. I got to know him way back in the day when we did a podcast together (Played - A Gamer's Podcast) and think he's a pretty fantastic dude. How could I not support this venture right?

Ok so the question I now have is where do I start? I've not listened to a single episode in their backlog. Do any ones stick out in particular? Jeff Goldblum & Far Cry 2 right?
I'd say you can start from the beginning and work your way up. The discussions within the episodes are still timeless, and it'll catch you up to speed on puffins boost hot scoops Gold game wizard.

Copenap

Firstly that was my first Idle Thumb and I really enjoyed. Is it going to be a weekly podcast and is 1.5 hours the usual length?

Secondly refering to the "IP" discussion, imo it's something that while in reallity is probably oftentimes not intentionally used in the correct meaning of the term but then again, when has a gamer ever said "give me an awesome new and original game but don't you dare giving me sequels". If the game is good the gamers will demand more and therefor a succesful "game' will always become an "IP".

gabbo

Firstly that was my first Idle Thumb and I really enjoyed. Is it going to be a weekly podcast and is 1.5 hours the usual length?

Secondly refering to the "IP" discussion, imo it's something that while in reallity is probably oftentimes not intentionally used in the correct meaning of the term but then again, when has a gamer ever said "give me an awesome new and original game but don't you dare giving me sequels". If the game is good the gamers will demand more and therefor a succesful "game' will always become an "IP".

The original run of the 'cast usually stuck to that schedule and length.

For something a bit more reasonable:

http://www.thisyearcollection.org/2011/10/18-idle-thumbs.html

Cramming all 81hrs of Thumbs is like eating your favorite food at every meal for a month. Enjoy the compilation podcast and then start looking forward to the exciting new IP - Idle Thumbs. The Idle Thumbs Podcast is thankfully dead after enduring years of sequelitis.

The king is dead, long live the king.

Gomu Gomu

What a fantastic episode. The perfect comeback.
Also, glad to see new listeners. If you have the time, you have to go back and listen from episode 1. If you don't though, make sure to at least catch the thisyearcollection recap of the show.

Man, that was a great first podcast back. I really appreciated Chris not letting anyone (a-hem) get away with vague assertions and non-starter commentary. Show is not the same without F.Nick and/or Scoops, but it is still a great cast and Chris' thoughtful takes are a big part of that, though Jake and Famous, to their credit, provided many a LOL moment.

Also I hope we hear more from JP on the cast, his appearance on the Bioshock stream is a thumbs high point imho.

Also2: Chris' music in 30 flights is top notch! DF music team take note :)

In conclusion: Chris Remo!

Sorry for the OT but what happened to Bob Ducca? I miss him... :(

edit: ah you changed your avatar. Not a good sign.

Bob Ducca is on a hiatus. Expect more podcasts in the future. Also he is on tour with CBB and makes an appearance on the tv show! Changed my avatar to try and unify my online presence :p

Jut going to pile in on the love orgy going on in this thread and say it was a great pod that got cast into my face. I had this big stupid grin on my face from the first "video games" and I think it stayed there for the whole 90 minutes. I got some weird looks walking around talking to myself and smiling like and idiot but it WAS WORTH IT.

p.s. Boost Videogames and/or Famous, have you played Legend of Grimrock yet and if so, did you make a Lizard Wizard?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The thing about IP is if the game is good I DO want more of the same.. For two or three iterations maybe. I DO want some new IP. I want some crazy amazing awesome new game an then I want 2 sequels that are even better.

That's not all I want, but I'm not ashamed to admit that I do enjoy sequels.

The thing about IP is if the game is good I DO want more of the same.. For two or three iterations maybe. I DO want some new IP. I want some crazy amazing awesome new game an then I want 2 sequels that are even better.

That's not all I want, but I'm not ashamed to admit that I do enjoy sequels.

That's what I was thinking during that discussion too, but I realise the Thumbs probably feel differently. Everyone has their limits- I'm kinda a sucker for sequels, but some people don't want the Uncharted 3s or AssCreed Revelations of this world, and no doubt there's some who don't even care for the Uncharted 2s or Arkham Cities.

Shaneus

For something a bit more reasonable:

http://www.thisyearcollection.org/2011/10/18-idle-thumbs.html

Cramming all 81hrs of Thumbs is like eating your favorite food at every meal for a month. Enjoy the compilation podcast and then start looking forward to the exciting new IP - Idle Thumbs. The Idle Thumbs Podcast is thankfully dead after enduring years of sequelitis.

The king is dead, long live the king.
This is probably a good idea. Although I'd suggest that if you enjoy the This Year compo, it'll allow you to listen to random eps whenever you feel like it and not feel out of touch. There's still some great stuff (I'm sure) that wasn't in TY that you might stumble across.

Just played Thirty Flights of Loving. What a slick... game? Thing. Puffinmode is just bizarre. Love it, anyway. The music especially, god job on that Remo.

Just played Thirty Flights of Loving. What a slick... game? Thing. Puffinmode is just bizarre. Love it, anyway. The music especially, god job on that Remo.

Me too. Wow. Loved it for it's quirkyness, and its style reminded me of another great game that got discussed a couple of times on Idle Thumbs. (no it's not Far Cry 2)

Two things are still haunting me though.

Spoiler

Goldblum Cat & Seductive Bed-Lying Goldblum

Wanted to post pics but that would probably spoil too much.

In the mood for some good story stuff tonight so here we go season pass of Walking Dead. Let's see if episode 2 is as good as they say.

DaBuddaDa

I loved your talk about Diablo 3 Chris! I have yet to read or hear anyone have those kind of views that incidentally wholly corresponds with those of my own. In fact you articulated what I found to be D3's flaws better than I could myself and it was very enjoyable to listen to. I was preparing my lunch as you began to approach the music of the Diablo games and I dropped my spatula with glee and had a big grin on my face thinking " This is going to be good ".

Just started listening to this episode, and what Corky said. What Corky said.

Shaneus

I've started playing Max Payne 3, and damn if Chris isn't spot-on about the golden gun parts thing. I definitely would have noticed it because it really does seem out of place. The whole "I must get out of here and chase that kidnapped girl" thing, with that stupid "Ooh, if I go into the DJ booth I get a golden gun part!" aspect tacked on just kills the flow of the game. And the "evidence" in it does a great job of bogging everything down, too.

Oh, a flyer for another club where we can hear a quip from Max about sushi and house music? Awesome. That was worth interrupting dude-killing and bullet-timing and girl-chasing for. But it's still evidence!

Other than that, though, the game definitely feels like a Max Payne game. The only other things that are stupidly annoying are the pre-rendered cutscenes that can't be skipped (and no doubt take up the bulk of the 25gb install) and that stupid quasi TV interference effect that keeps coming up over and over and over. Ugh. So shitty.

Rahk

Yeah, I'm starting to really dislike how even linear games these days have to have hidden collectibles.

Especially for Max Payne in instances such as
when you get your buddy killed because you are taking your sweet time looking for golden gun parts or useless evidence while he is outside having a gun battle.

Shaneus

I don't think that's really worth a spoiler, because basically something bad can happen in any of those situations and all it'll do is spit you back to your last quicksave. It's another thing I don't like... if something happens that requires a restart/reload, there's never any indication of consequence (at least, nothing significant). The more I play, the more I'm getting detached from the story because it very much pushes you along at the speed it wants you to play at.

Still a great game though, but the forced pacing is rubbing me up the wrong way.

Yeah, I'm starting to really dislike how even linear games these days have to have hidden collectibles.

I feel the "need" for that is because of achievements/trophies. A lot of games have collectibles that basically have no function but for an achievement, not even some in-game bonus for collecting them. That makes me sad. Even though I make the monthly achievement thread on GAF and love collecting them, I feel it sometimes detracts from the game. At least in Max Payne the golden guns give some damage bonus.

Which makes me segue into something Thumbs related. I finished the two episodes of Walking Dead this weekend and I loved that the achievements were NOT tied to your actions. That way I could just experience the game how I wanted to and not be steered by Trophy requirements, which Heavy Rain did somewhat. I don't think I would like replaying Walking Dead four or five times, two times maybe to see the results of the other choices.

Playing episode 1 I was reminded during the Motel scene of a classic Thumbs Heavy Rain discussion, when I used my analog stick to move my character out and straight moonwalking back into cover. :D

Also, EDGE had a great article on Walking Dead yesterday

sixghost

I feel the "need" for that is because of achievements/trophies. A lot of games have collectibles that basically have no function but for an achievement, not even some in-game bonus for collecting them. That makes me sad. Even though I make the monthly achievement thread on GAF and love collecting them, I feel it sometimes detracts from the game. At least in Max Payne the golden guns give some damage bonus.

Which makes me segue into something Thumbs related. I finished the two episodes of Walking Dead this weekend and I loved that the achievements were NOT tied to your actions. That way I could just experience the game how I wanted to and not be steered by Trophy requirements, which Heavy Rain did somewhat. I don't think I would like replaying Walking Dead four or five times, two times maybe to see the results of the other choices.

Playing episode 1 I was reminded during the Motel scene of a classic Thumbs Heavy Rain discussion, when I used my analog stick to move my character out and straight moonwalking back into cover. :D

Also, EDGE had a great article on Walking Dead yesterday
nevermind, I misread your post.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the new theme song in the archive still refers to the now canonical Idle Thumbs 51: THE GREAT GATLING GUNSBY as The Idle Thumbs Podcast Episode 1: THE GREAT GATLING GUNSBY.

This can't be.

sixghost

In case anyone was thinking about going to the Idle Thumbs panel at quakecon:
SATURDAY August 4th Idle Thumbs Podcast: Arena (1:30 PM) – featuring Chris Remo (Double Fine), Jake Rodkin (Telltale Games), JP LeBreton (Double Fine), Nick Breckon (Bethesda Softworks), and Steve Gaynor (The Fullbright Company).

I'm pretty sure there is no entry fee as well.

Top Bottom