• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: IEM VIII World Championship – SC2 ($100,000 Winner-Takes-All), LoL & Hearthstone!

SamuraiX-

At the Intel Extreme Masters World Championship, gaming superstars from around the world will compete for a total prize pool of $250,000 in StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm and League of Legends. The StarCraft II tournament will be a $100,000 winner-takes-all, single-elimination bracket format. Nine first and second place 2013-2014 IEM event finishers, three players respectively qualifying from America, Europe and Asia regions, two invitees and two players qualifying through the onsite open bracket will make up the 16 players competing for the grand prize. For League of Legends, eight of the world's best teams will clash in two dual tournament style groups that will lead into a four-team single-elimination bracket for a shot at a $60,000 grand prize. The event will also mark the IEM debut of Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft, with four star players competing onsite for a prize pool of $4,000.

The event will mark the first time that the Intel Extreme Masters World Championship is not held at the CeBIT Tradeshow in Hannover, Germany, where the tournament occupied an entire exhibition hall. In Katowice the event will be held inside Spodek, Poland’s most famous sports and events venue, which also plays host to world famous musicians and the volleyball World League. Spodek was previously used by the Intel Extreme Masters in January 2013, attracting 50,000 visiting fans and over 5,000,000 unique viewers on ESL TV’s online streams, making it the most successful European eSports event in history.

izF9unvijV25y.png

Format

16 world-class players will face off in a single-elimination bracket to decide who will take home $100,000.

• Nine winners and runners-up from the five events in IEM Season VIII:
    - IEM Shanghai: Revival and Oz
    - IEM New York: Life and NaNiwa
    - IEM Singapore: herO and San
    - IEM Sao Paulo: MC (herO won both IEM Singapore and Sao Paulo)
    - IEM Cologne: HerO and Polt
  • Three qualified players from regional qualifiers:
    - Asia Qualifier: Rogue
    - America Qualifier: jjakji
    - Europe Qualifier: StarDust
  • Two invitees:
    - TaeJa (2013 Player of the Year) and sOs (2013 WCS Global Finals Winner)
  • Two qualified players from the onsite open bracket:
    - Players selected through open signup and prioritized according to their WCS ranking.
    - Double-elimination bracket.
    - All matches are Best of 3.
Prize Pool

$100,000 and 7,000 WCS Points will be distributed among players as follows:

• ibyiYRrSeC6v05.png
    1st Place - $100,000 + 1,500 WCS Points
  • i0VwyHqeVdrEQ.png
    2nd Place - $0 + 800 WCS Points
  • ibulctIZcnpWXu.png
    3rd/4th Place - $0 + 550 WCS Points
  • 5th - 8th Place - $0 + 400 WCS Points
  • 9th - 16th Place - $0 + 250 WCS Points
Casters and Hosts

iZGWMDMjKa4h5.jpg

Participants

ipoyJbPNbxhuF.png

Results

Schedule

Streams

iZLpVrCAWMVzl.png

Eight teams (four winners from each of the IEM Season VIII events and four invited teams from Europe, North America, South East Asia and South Korea) will compete for a $150,000 prize pool.

Format

• Group Stage
    - Two dual-tournament style groups.
    - Matches are Best of 1.
    - Top 2 teams from each group advance to bracket stage.
  • Bracket Stage
    - Single-elimination bracket.
    - Semifinals are Best of 3.
    - Grand Final is Best of 5.
Prize Pool

$150,000 will be distributed among teams as follows:

• ibyiYRrSeC6v05.png
    1st Place - $60,000
  • i0VwyHqeVdrEQ.png
    2nd Place - $30,000
  • ibulctIZcnpWXu.png
    3rd/4th Place - $14,000
  • 5th - 6th Place - $8,500
  • 7th - 8th Place - $7,500
Casters and Hosts

iDjt07Pu60QNq.jpg

Participating Teams

Results

Schedule

Streams

iCSBcr8VQpltH.png

Hearthstone will join the Intel Extreme Masters in Katowice as an official title. Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft will be the second Blizzard Entertainment title at the event, which currently features StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm. The digital strategy card game will see four players compete in the onsite competition for a total of $4,000 in the first ever Intel Extreme Masters Hearthstone tournament. European hopefuls will have a chance to qualify for two of the four spots leading up to the tournament, with one of the spots reserved for a Polish representative. Hearthstone ‘celebrities’ from within the community will be offered the remaining two spots.

Format

• Single-elimination bracket.
  • Details about decks not announced.
  • "Best of" details not announced.
Prize Pool

$4,000 will be distributed among players as follows:

• ibyiYRrSeC6v05.png
    1st Place - $2,000
  • i0VwyHqeVdrEQ.png
    2nd Place - $1,000
  • ibrJ0xss41WwDW.png
    3rd Place - $600
  • i3609XVOI0wqj.png
    4th Place - $400
Participants

jQTppne.png

Schedule

Results

Streams

• TBA

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So how does the Hearthstone tournament work? Prefab decks or what? If it's just the game as it is for playing everyday... I just don't get that in an esports context.

Ready for Jaedong comeback-of-all-time

Gonna miss most of it sadly. You guys have fun watching.

Cheering for Terran to win. Wish Maru or MKP was in it but cheering for Taeja and Polt works as well.

jjakji if it comes down to it.

Won

Hyped for CS:GO.

Also the Hearthstone tournament only exists so they could get Artosis as a caster, I'm sure of it.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Artosis getting rich off those big Hearthstone prize pools.

Boken

Banned
zSBVWXQ.png

The groups: (more like opposite sides of the bracket - double elimination, double sided bracket)
7C1hmmc.png

since china is its own island, i presume many people dont know which team is strong - here are the current standings:
P3Wyokw.png

boken's power stndings for IEM
A. Gambit
B. Cloud9, KTBullets, WE
C. Fnatic, TPA
D. M, IG

Haunted

$100k Winner takes all? Carmac you crazy bastard! Not enough non-Koreans in the tournament to make it worth watching for me, but still.

Also, I didn't know that Joe Miller does lol commentary now. I've been wondering where he ended up.

I'll definitely check out Artosis and Gnimsh in the final of the Hearthstone tournament.

Syf

Banned
Thanks for the thread Samurai! Super hyped for this one. Winner-take-all format should lead to some great matches.

Won

I really don't understand Naniwa. He really doesn't think this is fun?

"I have never seen you so excited."
"Well, it ended."

survivor

Banned
JD :(

Looking at the bracket, I hope either Taeja, Jjakji or Life make it to the finals from the bottom bracket. As for the top one, either Dear, herO, or MC making it to the finals is fine by me.

SamuraiX-

WIBUQr6.png

Really disappointed to see Life, TaeJa and Rogue so close to each other.

Potential TaeJa vs Life rematch in the quarterfinals is glorious.

Main tournament begins in less than 5 hours!

Aaron

Holy shit, what a series. I can't believe this isn't the finals.

Still feel sorry for Hyun, but he made HerO fight down to the last.

zargle

Man, I was not expecting the winner-take-all, single elimination to make the matches seem that much more stressful. But it did for that series at least.

survivor

Banned
I wonder if there will be any clean sweeps in this tournament. Everyone is fighting so hard.
If Naniwa isn't lying about not playing the game for over a month, then Polt can probably 3-0 him. Although dropping a map in TvP can happen pretty easily.

Top Bottom