• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If I hated Dark Souls 3, will I like Dark Souls 2?

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
das2 is the slowest and methodical-est of the three, where sorcery and heavy shields are at their best.
Have at it.

ecosse_011172

the developers know all they need to do is release a game that is brutally difficult and bam, critically acclaimed.

What a pile of shit, the games are critically acclaimed because of the fantastic combat, variety, great level design, atmosphere and other things.

Kurtofan

Dark Souls 2 has a really interesting story compared to Dark Souls 3. The lore is good, the gameplay is different, I say give it a shot!

RevenWolf

have fun with all the generic bosses and bad hit boxes

Not as much fun as people with sweeping generalisations and implying that hitboxes isn't an issue that all of the souls games have issues with lol.

If OP likes slow methodical combat DS2 might become OPs favourite imo.

KLoWn

Ech... What a thread. People who are too stupid or lazy to try and understand the plot, and therefor it's bad. Spoon feed everything!

I hope fighting bosses aren't OP's thing if he goes with DS2, because most of 'em there suck royally, and is coming from someone who actually thinks Dark Souls 2 was great.

mxgt

Banned
Yes, you will.

I've just completed a playthrough of all 3 games consecutively and I think DS3 is easily the worst in the series and DS2 is significantly better.

Mainly because it's much slower, I really dislike how fast everything is in DS3 compared to the other games. Can just roll around and spam attacks like an asshole because the stamina regen+usage is so insane and lenient. The almost instant Estus is absurd as well.

DS2 is not without flaw, but there are many things in it which are the best the series has to offer, from PvP, the amount of builds and playstyles, replayability, bonfire ascetics, etc.

It also has the best DLC.
Ignoring the challenge areas.

This is entirely why I get so miffed when I see GAF describing Soulsborne games as masterpieces. They're great games yes, game feel and all that is spot on, but they're far from masterpieces because the narratives are just complete trash. "Oh well they tell a story through the environment..." Okay, that doesn't tell me anything. That Dragon is dead and rotting over there why? Is it diseased? Did someone strike it down? Is this shit supposed to mean anything:

maxresdefault.jpg

No explanation for it. It's just there, and the player is expected to fill in the blanks themselves because the developers know all they need to do is release a game that is brutally difficult and bam, critically acclaimed.

XUWq0vtjmnaPPOpEXH5nG3pixTc=.gif

I sort of agree with you, in the fact I wish they confirmed more things. DS1 was good for that at least.

have fun with all the generic bosses and bad hit boxes

It's a good job that offscreen fighting the camera dragon boss number 5 or so of the series King of Storms on DS3 didn't have ridiculously huge hitboxes.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
lol, this explanation right here is exactly why I hate the story in these games, there is no relativity to any of it, it's just a load of loosely connected made up names and terms to build a bloated and convoluted narrative.

A simple story told with heart and integrity is much more engaging to me than some generic ye olde shite about unkindled flames and ashen ones and cinder lords, etc. Why should I care about any of this?

Bloated and convoluted is definitely not something I've heard someone use to describe the Souls games.

People on GAF sure love hating on shit. I see more people slamming on fantastic games then I ever see people venerating a game for doing something right.

FRS1987

Personally if you didn't like 3 you probably wouldn't like 2 at all. 3 has massive improvements in gameplay where it improved from the previous 3 games so going back to 2 will not only be annoying but make you struggle. Dark and Demon are still the best ones in the series imo, Demon might be harder to get into because it's oldest but I still find Dark 1 to be amazing. Dark 2 has a lot wrong with it too from hitboxes, to weird animations, to a weird stat that changes your invincible frames. The game also purposely ambushes you into fights you do not expect. Example:

Any souls game: Ok, I see Enemy A in the distance, Enemy B is to the left, Enemy C-F are waiting in this room for an ambush. Let me plan my attack

Souls 2: Hm, no enemies? around? Maybe up? nothing. Strange. Let me take 1 step forward and....

10 enemies jump from behind you, 10 from in front and they all sandwich you.

I always loathed that design from 2.

RevenWolf

Personally if you didn't like 3 you probably wouldn't like 2 at all. 3 has massive improvements in gameplay where it improved from the previous 3 games so going back to 2 will not only be annoying but make you struggle. Dark and Demon are still the best ones in the series imo, Demon might be harder to get into because it's oldest but I still find Dark 1 to be amazing. Dark 2 has a lot wrong with it too from hitboxes, to weird animations, to a weird stat that changes your invincible frames. The game also purposely ambushes you into fights you do not expect. Example:

Any souls game: Ok, I see Enemy A in the distance, Enemy B is to the left, Enemy C-F are waiting in this room for an ambush. Let me plan my attack

Souls 2: Hm, no enemies? around? Maybe up? nothing. Strange. Let me take 1 step forward and....

The hyperbole is strong with this post...

Not to mention DS1 loves the placing an enemy around a blind corner for you trick.

MUnited83

For you.

Must be interesting to loathe design that only exists on your mind.

Sande

Magic is decent in it and the lore isn't riding DS1's dick as hard as in DS3.

The enemy and boss design is horrible, but if your definition of good methodical combat is doing a slow 1 second roll and a slow 1 second hit with dodgy animations and hit detection then I guess that aspect is fine too.

From what I recall, Attunement also raised Agility in DS2. If OP's looking to make a sorcerer, could he get away with just leveling ATN?

You could, depending on your starting class and with the caveat that your roll won't be as good as a typical melee character. A Sorcerer with 25 ATT for instance gets you 92 AGI/10 iframes during your roll - not great, but fine if you're focused on ranged combat. With ADP being worth 3 times that of ATT though, in most cases you'd still want to put some points into it.

Here is the page on agility and iframes and down below it references the iframe values in Dark Souls 1 for comparison. Something to keep in mind when comparing the two is that the actual roll mechanics between the games differs in that DS2 only has 2 roll speeds (for under/over 70% equip load) and varying roll distance which is all independent of the number of iframes you get from agility, while in Dark Souls your roll speed and iframes are tied to different equip load tiers. Here is a character planner that shows you how much ADP/ATT you'll need for your class to hit those breakpoints.

Gin-Shiio

Dark Souls built a rich world where every place and every person had meaning. Not to your quest, but to the world and its inhabitants. That's what makes the setting one of the best in the medium. If you don't like it, that doesn't say a thing about the quality of its writing; it simply isn't for you.

DSII and III lost that richness and nuance. The worlds felt forced and contrived. In II especially, the geography make no sense, and its characters outside of Vendrick, Nashandra and the scholar have no purpose. Again, not a purpose for the player, but a purpose within the world itself.

shimon

I enjoyed DS2 waaaaaay more and I think DS3 is the worst soulsborne game,period. My biggest disappointment of 2016 as far as games go.

If you want slower combat,more build variety and better magic system then DS2 is something you should enjoy. All 4 magic classes are fun.

Also Demon's Souls is very good,you should try that too sometime.

You could, depending on your starting class and with the caveat that your roll won't be as good as a typical melee character. A Sorcerer with 25 ATT for instance gets you 92 AGI/10 iframes during your roll - not great, but fine if you're focused on ranged combat. With ADP being worth 3 times that of ATT though, in most cases you'd still want to put some points into it.

Here is the page on agility and iframes and down below it references the iframe values in Dark Souls 1 for comparison. Something to keep in mind when comparing the two is that the actual roll mechanics between the games differs in that DS2 only has 2 roll speeds (for under/over 70% equip load) and varying roll distance which is all independent of the number of iframes you get from agility, while in Dark Souls your roll speed and iframes are tied to different equip load tiers. Here is a character planner that shows you how much ADP/ATT you'll need for your class to hit those breakpoints.

You can also reach the necessary 105 agility in the first half hour of the game if you grind against the first knight at the NMW bonfire until it stops spawning in, then fight the boss there (who is really easy), you'll have enough to have your agility sorted for the rest of the game.

Ech... What a thread. People who are too stupid or lazy to try and understand the plot, and therefor it's bad. Spoon feed everything!

I hope fighting bosses aren't OP's thing if he goes with DS2, because most of 'em there suck royally, and is coming from someone who actually thinks Dark Souls 2 was great.

Plot in the games feel like Destiny's "I don't have time to explain why I don't have time to explain." Well at least Dark Souls left the item descriptions in the game and didn't direct you to a website. However many people are just accepting whatever their favorite YouTubers interpretation is as canon. No one really knows what the writers intended.

Sande

Honestly, I agree with you 100%. I think Demon's Souls started off pretty well for a first game. DS1 was okay, but it got so convoluted and crazy that it just started making no sense at all.

There is nothing engaging about the mediocre stories in these games really. They have some cool lore bits, and I appreciate some of the details and intertwined natures of these games, but the storytelling is not good by any known standard we have. It's poor and very random writing with characters that make as much sense as any absurd painting. There is basically no attempt at facial details, animation, characterization beyond the most basic shells, et cetera. By objective standards there is poor character development here. And I'm not gonna just accept some random excuse that the atmosphere always makes up for it.

It does in some ways, and it doesn't in others.

Yes, in some ways the story can be tailored to the user, and it does engage them, but it's still poor writing, storytelling in general, and it offers nothing new or bold in this category.

That doesn't matter to some. Fine by me. But I would not mind if these games were written by competent writers. I definitely don't want Witcher 3, but I do want something that makes sense, that is in any possible way a tad more realistic.

Also, I'm not here to argue with Soul's apologists. To some people these games can do no wrong. That is fair. But there are people that want more out of the series. It was getting really stale by 3. I am playing Bloodborne right now, but nothing is really pushing me forward but the art and the gameplay. I sure as hell am not playing to see what happens next in random fantasy zone #34 where random character talks about blood and umbilical cords lol.
giphy.gif

Any time I run into the usual Souls narrative praise I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. And if you dare to criticize any of it you get the same tired "you want to be spoon fed exposition in 1 hour cutscenes?" rebuttal which pretty much entirely misses the point of the criticism. I think the way Souls games deliver lore and narrative is amazing, but the actual execution of it leaves much to be desired.

Nev

Banned
People in this thread claiming you can just spam attacks and rolls throughout DS3.

Just stop spreading bullshit 'facts'.

As in Bloodborne, enemies in DS3 are designed with the bigger stamina in mind and they will play accordingly.

This isn't as if they put DS1's enemies there and gave you double the stamina. Look no further than the silver knights. They are a joke in Dark Souls 1 compared to 3.

If the game was as slow as DS1 people would be complaining it's too easy.

There's still a million times more thought, design, strategy and 'method' in DS3's encounters and enemies than the NES level AI of the enemies of the 'slow and methodical' DS2 and its amateur, cheap encounter design.

Also try to spam rolls and attacks around Old Demon King or Sulyvahn (or any boss for that matter), let's see how far that gets you.

The fact that it's faster doesn't mean it's mindless, stop with that bullshit.

120v

bashing Souls for storytelling is a nonstarter because it isn't a narrative based game and the story can be more or less ignored. so it's kind of hard to deduct somebody criticizing from that angle doesn't want a curated "AAA rpg" experience and shouldn't be wasting time with the game anyway, as it's 99% combat and stat management.

Nere

DS2 is awesome but I don't get why you hate DS3, the bosses are amazing again I dunno why you think they suck, the story makes as much sense as in the other games meaning not much and the game is really good same as DS1 and DS2 just different like they all are from each other.

CAR105 3

I can't really see how you would hate DS3 bosses and expect to like DS2 bosses. DS2 bosses are the worst in the series there are only a handful of good base game bosses, the DLC ones are very good though. Except the two tigers from ivory king, the gank squad from sunken king and Smelter Demon 2.0 from iron king, fuck those three optional bosses.

Forward

Dark Souls 1 had the best everything. Including the best rushed and incomplete parts. Which were themselves in turn better than the best aspects of DS2 and 3, combined.

DS1 was Demon's Souls: QoL Edition. Which is high praise indeed.

Peroroncino

Honestly, I agree with you 100%. I think Demon's Souls started off pretty well for a first game. DS1 was okay, but it got so convoluted and crazy that it just started making no sense at all.

I do like the game a lot, but I don't go through them again. I have no attachment to the character in these games.

DS2 actually started off the best of them all story wise, but I only got to the hubworld so far. But at least the people are kind of in a town.

Bloodborne is cool, but to me is a bit overrated all told. The gameplay is great, but it's just sad they can't even try to make a cohesive and involving story.

I do like some parts. I like meeting with NPCs, but as you said it's all kind of remote and pointless.

There is nothing engaging about the mediocre stories in these games really. They have some cool lore bits, and I appreciate some of the details and intertwined natures of these games, but the storytelling is not good by any known standard we have. It's poor and very random writing with characters that make as much sense as any absurd painting. There is basically no attempt at facial details, animation, characterization beyond the most basic shells, et cetera. By objective standards there is poor character development here. And I'm not gonna just accept some random excuse that the atmosphere always makes up for it.

Yes, in some ways the story can be tailored to the user, and it does engage them, but it's still poor writing, storytelling in general, and it offers nothing new or bold in this category.

That doesn't matter to some. Fine by me. But I would not mind if these games were written by competent writers. I definitely don't want Witcher 3, but I do want something that makes sense, that is in any possible way a tad more realistic.

Also, I'm not here to argue with Soul's apologists. To some people these games can do no wrong. That is fair. But there are people that want more out of the series. It was getting really stale by 3. I am playing Bloodborne right now, but nothing is really pushing me forward but the art and the gameplay. I sure as hell am not playing to see what happens next in random fantasy zone #34 where random character talks about blood and umbilical cords lol.

We'll see how Dark Souls II turns out. Right now I am liking the story in that one a bit more. I thought Demon's Souls did things alright too.

Preach.

I love Souls games, played them all, platinumed some, but whenever I hear that story is good I instantly cringe.

MUnited83

For you.
People in this thread claiming you can just spam attacks and rolls throughout DS3.

Just stop spreading bullshit 'facts'.

As in Bloodborne, enemies in DS3 are designed with the bigger stamina in mind and they will play accordingly.

This isn't as if they put DS1's enemies there and gave you double the stamina. Look no further than the silver knights. They are a joke in Dark Souls 1 compared to 3.

If the game was as slow as DS1 people would be complaining it's too easy.

There's still a million times more thought, design, strategy and 'method' in DS3's encounters and enemies than the NES level AI of the enemies of the 'slow and methodical' DS2 and its amateur, cheap encounter design.

Also try to spam rolls and attacks around Old Demon King or Sulyvahn (or any boss for that matter), let's see how far that gets you.

The fact that it's faster doesn't mean it's mindless, stop with that bullshit.

Silver Knights are still a damn joke. Design/thought my ass, you can just spam your rolls out of anything you want. "Spreading bullshit facts"? Bruh I actually played the damn game. It's the worst of the series.

sheaaaa

Literally does not happen a single time

zenspider

This is entirely why I get so miffed when I see GAF describing Soulsborne games as masterpieces. They're great games yes, game feel and all that is spot on, but they're far from masterpieces because the narratives are just complete trash. "Oh well they tell a story through the environment..." Okay, that doesn't tell me anything. That Dragon is dead and rotting over there why? Is it diseased? Did someone strike it down? Is this shit supposed to mean anything:

maxresdefault.jpg

No explanation for it. It's just there, and the player is expected to fill in the blanks themselves because the developers know all they need to do is release a game that is brutally difficult and bam, critically acclaimed.

Haha wut

Bloodborne is one of the most interesting narratives in gaming for not only it's content but how it's told. Dark Souls is less taut and concise because it has so much more in-game history and lands that mean almost nothing to the story, but still.

You're not filling the blanks, you're putting together the pieces - especially in Bloodborne's case. There's no "wise one" who narrates the story and leads you by the nose to every significant plot point with hackney exposition dumps and ham-fisted dialogue.

MGrant

Pyromancy is legit good in DS3 and probably would be your cup of tea if you like more methodical fights as a caster. Plus you can switch to dark at any time. Unfortunately, even the toughest bosses (Friede, Gael, Midir, Pontiff) have easy attack patterns with wide-open ATTACK ME NOW openings for spells. You might have trouble with Oceiros and Demon Prince if underleveled. That's about it.

In DS2, on the other hand, every single boss is even easier as a caster except Burnt Ivory King if you go solo, in which case, hoo boy, get ready for some bullshit.

Dark Souls 2 is the most trash of all the games (still decent). But op may like it because its plays slower than even Dark Souls 1 (not a good thing imo)

zenspider

I do like the game a lot, but I don't go through them again. I have no attachment to the character in these games.

DS2 actually started off the best of them all story wise, but I only got to the hubworld so far. But at least the people are kind of in a town.

Bloodborne is cool, but to me is a bit overrated all told. The gameplay is great, but it's just sad they can't even try to make a cohesive and involving story.

I do like some parts. I like meeting with NPCs, but as you said it's all kind of remote and pointless.

We'll see how Dark Souls II turns out. Right now I am liking the story in that one a bit more. I thought Demon's Souls did things alright too.

Bloodborne has the most concise story in the psuedo-series. It just, like all the titles, asks you to meet it halfway.

Forward

Bloodborne has the most concise story in the psuedo-series. It just, like all the titles, asks you to meet it halfway.

It honestly makes me wonder if those people hate books, also.

I mean, short of there actually being an author out there who, after ceding failure to show, tells via characters' thoughts, then goes on expository asides to tell his audience the why of each and every thought.

I'd rather rub Braille into my eyes, than be subjected to such.

Sweetloaf

Seems like people are getting confused between the words story and storytelling. The story takes some digging around and research outside of the game or you join the dots yourself and come up with your own interpretation, almost as if it were a work of art.

Storytelling on the other hand is a way of conveying a story from a certain point of view. Most Soul's games don't make any attempt at this, it's intentional and obviously not to everyone's taste. These are games that don't even tell you how half the fucking game systems work remember, so don't expect a backstory to be explained.

horkrux

Literally does not happen a single time

yes, because it happens multiple times instead /s

:p

maxresdefault.jpg

I kind of have to agree. There are a lot of things for which you could argue that not even From know what it's supposed to mean. You constantly have to puzzle together even the most basic things and even then you might encounter some blank spots.

But on the other hand: Does everything have to have meaning? Don't think so.

RPGam3r

I love the Souls games including 2, have fun OP.

I love these games but the story, which at times is hard to even call it that is pretty much trash due to the delivery. It still bothers me from a design pov that a lot of the story/lore is delivered on magic descriptions placed on items/equipment you get.

And no I don't want an hour of cutscenes.

bashing Souls for storytelling is a nonstarter because it isn't a narrative based game and the story can be more or less ignored. so it's kind of hard to deduct somebody criticizing from that angle doesn't want a curated "AAA rpg" experience and shouldn't be wasting time with the game anyway, as it's 99% combat and stat management.

I agree. A lot of the time when people criticize the story in Souls games they aren't even criticizing the actual story, they are complaining about having to dig to get to the story. Souls games always put gameplay first. The story is a bonus that you get if you have the patience to read all of the dialogue and item descriptions and pay close attention to the environments. Also it's a multiplayer game, so to me it kind of sounds like complaining that Overwatch's story is too far in the background.

MGrant

Honestly though I found that casters were boring by the end of all 3 games and boiled down to kite, kite, cast, kite, etc. The end bosses of DS2 are literally "Don't stand in the bad stuff, unleash spells," and "Don't get hit by bullets, unleash spells during bullets."

Bandit's knife only, low stamina and HP have been my most strategy-intensive run-throughs of Dark Souls games.

Top Bottom