• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If I hated Dark Souls 3, will I like Dark Souls 2?

120v

And regarding Ornstein: What did DS2 do exactly? It put a grey Ornstein model in a small church connected by a ridiculously large drawbridge, and let you fight it in a bossfight that plays out like fighting Ornstein in DS1 without Smough and without a second phase. Then it proceeds to never really mention this guy again. Everything about this encounter - hell, his entire existence in this game - was forgettable and meaningless.
Compare this to the Nameless King in DS3 and realize the immense difference in substance in terms of fanservice for this character.

i subscribed to the theory he was at odds with the dragon rider (being a dragon *slayer*) at the diametrically opposite end of Heide. and something was ostensibly "off" about him that factors in the blue sentinals so we aren't getting the ornstein we all know. it may not even be ornstein at all

not particularly arguing it was a good or bad addition but DS2 took a more obtuse direction in connecting the lore. ornstein was the only exclamation mark in the game whereas DS3 just rips opens the can of worms outright. i kind of preferred the DS2 approach

Toxi

Banned
Sorcery in the Souls series is generally really overpowered. I very recently finished a Pyromancy run of Dark Souls, I had no problem killing any boss (minus the three that are fire resistant) by just using the basic fireball and fire orb spells. Then I got Lingering Dragoncrest Ring, Crown of Dusk and Power Within and things just became stupid. I killed Kalameet by using Firestorm twice and throwing three greater fireballs and Gwyn didn't even get the chance to get close to me, he was dead after using Fire Tempest once (1300 dmg per pillar hit, which means he's dead if he hits three).
Dark Souls 3 made Sorcery not OP.

By making it really boring and underwhelming.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I struggle with even finding words to describe how much I disagree with calling the story "nonsense".

Having an issue with not being able to have a clear explanation for something weird in a piece of fiction is such a petty thing to get upset over. Have some fun thinking about it, or better yet, take my route of often not thinking about it!

There are people on youtube that get a lot of joy out of making videos speculating the origins of different npcs and bosses, and it isn't like they are being shut down by the devs as "wrong". They probably love that fans have their own interpretations of things.

CloudWolf

I think it shouldn't be forgotten. DS2 wanted it to be this way, added it as a side effect of Hollowing (?), but it's a tiresome theme and concept in general. The fact that these cycles exist doesn't mean everything should be forgotten during the next iteration.
What DS3 did was to finally bring this endless cycle to a close (not without leaving the hope that it might begin anew).

And regarding Ornstein: What did DS2 do exactly? It put a grey Ornstein model in a small church connected by a ridiculously large drawbridge, and let you fight it in a bossfight that plays out like fighting Ornstein in DS1 without Smough and without a second phase. Then it proceeds to never really mention this guy again. Everything about this encounter - hell, his entire existence in this game - was forgettable and meaningless.
Compare this to the Nameless King in DS3 and realize the immense difference in substance in terms of fanservice for this character.

It wasn't a side effect of Hollowing, it was just because it was set literal millenia after DS1. Just look at the real world, we also don't really have any solid evidence for most of the stuff that happened more than 1000 years ago and we're living in a modern world. The Dark Souls-world has no archaeology, it doesn't even really have a consistent religion, also the world is literally reborn every few hundred years or so. That people in Dark Souls 3 know every little detail about the birth of Pyromancy or the origin of Havel's armor is utter bullshit.

The Nameless King I agree on being a great addition, but that actually was a direct continuation of a hanging plot thread from the first game, not some weird nostalgia-thing. But there are definitely things in there that are just in the game for nostalgia reasons:

- Why is the blacksmith André of Astora again? How is he even alive?
- Why do we randomly go to Anor Londo again?
- Why are the Demon Ruins (including Quelana & The Sister of Chaos) in the game?
- Why is there a random Asylum/Stray Demon on top of Farron Keep?
- Why is there a retread of Siegmeyer of Catarina in the game?
- Why is Patches in the game again?
- Why is the main hub area called Firelink Shrine and do you go to the Kiln of the First Flame in the game when none of those two things even look remotely like their Dark Souls 1 counterparts?
- Why is Kaathe randomly mentioned in a conversation with a NPC even though nothing else in the game ever refers to the primordial serpents?

All these things are in the game for nostalgia reasons only, they have no real purpose in the game except for being there for the fans. Not that I'm complaining, I like most of these decisions a lot. It's just weird that Dark Souls 2 gets a lot of flak for the Old Dragonslayer, while Dark Souls 3 does the exact same thing multiple times. Also, it's silly to say that all the Dark Souls 2 callbacks were purely fanservice: Nashandra and the other queens being created out of Manus was a really cool concept.

Also this. We don't forget figures like Jesus Christ, Alexander the Great, Cyrus, etc despite them living hundreds of years ago. Ancient kingdoms still stand today despite them being abandoned hundreds of years ago. The idea that everything would just dissapear and people would forget such monumental figures and events because reasons is fairly ridiculous.
The Dark Souls world is very high concept, so applying real world rules on anything in the series is not really a thing you can do. Also, as I said above, we know most of the things you mentioned because people wrote stories and books about them and we found proof of the existence of these civilizations through archaeology, the Dark Souls world has none of those things. Nobody is writing books and nobody is actively researching the past. Hell, in all three games pretty much everyone in the world is dead already, there is no one around to remember the stuff that happened even a year ago. Also, even in the first game there were hints of people just forgetting pretty big parts of history and stuff just disappearing. Oolacile was were Darkroot Gardens are in the main timeline of Dark Souls 1, yet everybody seems to have forgotten the existence of that kingdom or what happened there and in Darkroot Gardens itself there is zero evidence of there ever being a big city.

Disgraced

Sorcery being OP is really good for PVE as an obscured easy mode, but naturally bad for PVP. The latter matters but not nearly as much as the former in these games, since it's what the player is meant to do the most.

I struggle with even finding words to describe how much I disagree with calling the story "nonsense".

Having an issue with not being able to have a clear explanation for something weird in a piece of fiction is such a petty thing to get upset over. Have some fun thinking about it, or better yet, take my route of often not thinking about it!

There are people on youtube that get a lot of joy out of making videos speculating the origins of different npcs and bosses, and it isn't like they are being shut down by the devs as "wrong". They probably love that fans have their own interpretations of things.

Yep yep!

Toxi

Banned
Sorcery being OP is really good for PVE as an obscured easy mode, but naturally bad for PVP. The latter matters but not nearly as much as the former in these games, since it's what the player is meant to do the most.
Sorcery has never really been OP in PvP. It's been hideously unbalanced (Dark Souls 1 Dark Sorcery will literally one hit kill most players, which is dumb, even if it's easy to avoid), but the ability to roll through Sorcery has generally made melee combat more reliable and useful in PvP.

But beyond that, Dark Souls 3 Sorcery just isn't fun. You're basically using a bunch of different flavors of "cast a projectile in a straight line" with a glorified greatsword as one of the only viable weapons. Compare with Bloodborne and especially Dark Souls 2. Or hell, compare with Miracle builds in Dark Souls 3 game post-Lightning Arrow and Crucifix of the Mad King.

III-V

Dark Souls 2 had some great sorc/ warrior sorc builds. I really had a great time experimenting in this game, more so than DS1 or DS3

Disgraced

Sorcery has never really been OP in PvP. It's been hideously unbalanced (Dark Souls 1 Dark Sorcery will literally one hit kill most players, which is dumb, even if it's easy to avoid), but the ability to roll through Sorcery has generally made melee combat more reliable and useful in PvP.
You say unbalanced, I say overpowered. Tomayto, tomahto. Sorceries like Black Flame and Crystal Soul Spear were/are pretty reliably abusable in Dark 1, imo and experience.

Dahbomb

Sorcery is good in DS2 but that's about it.

DS3 had god tier bosses (especially when including the DLC), DS2 has mostly shit tier bosses most of them just being bigger enemies with bigger life bars.

There is methodical game play and then there is the DS2 approach which is boring, less engaging and just plain less fun. DS3 probably went too far in the fast and hectic direction but that's still vastly preferable to DS2's molasses combat especially with the enemies you have to face.

Story is bad in DS2 too though so there isn't much to be gained from that either.

You should instead go all the way back to Demon's Souls though.

Toxi

Banned
You say unbalanced, I say overpowered. Tomayto, tomahto. Sorceries like Black Flame and Crystal Soul Spear were/are pretty reliably abusable in Dark 1, imo and experience.
Black Flame was OP, but it also wasn't a Sorcery, it was a Dark Souls 1 Pyromancy, which meant it was something any build could easily have. I was talking mainly about dedicated sorceries.

Crystal Soul Spear was garbage in 1 on 1, and not much better in group fests (Not counting lag here, which could make it much harder to avoid). It was what I'd consider unbalanced, in that it had obscene power if it actually hit, but it was incredibly easy to avoid getting hit. From has a serious problem of making Sorcerers unreliable glass cannons.

Dark Souls 2 took out the "unreliable" part by giving Sorcerers tools with varying timings and uses. Dark Souls 3 took out the "cannon" part.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I agree. I liked Dark Souls 2 a lot, but I think Shrine of Amana is one of the worst location in a game ever. How the hell did that ever get through testing? I get Dark Souls is supposed to be hard, but that shit was just unfair.
I never had a problem there tbh...

Probably because most Dark Souls 3 callbacks serve a purpose and Dark Souls 2 callbacks are literally fanservice just because.
"Just because"
lol ok

Also this. We don't forget figures like Jesus Christ, Alexander the Great, Cyrus, etc despite them living hundreds of years ago. Ancient kingdoms still stand today despite them being abandoned hundreds of years ago. The idea that everything would just dissapear and people would forget such monumental figures and events because reasons is fairly ridiculous.
It's almost as if Dark Souls is a fantasy, magical world completely unlike our own with its own rules and mythology :O Might as well complain about magic and dragons while you're at it.

Also, considering how much misinformation there is about those figures you cited, especially Jesus (and Columbus), and how 6 of the 7 wonders of the ancient world are completely gone (some of which might not have even existed and are actually quite debatable), the idea that humans never forget history is quite the comical one. Not like you'd know about those figures who are actually completely forgotten too, because... again... how would you know xD

It wasn't a side effect of Hollowing, it was just because it was set literal millenia after DS1. Just look at the real world, we also don't really have any solid evidence for most of the stuff that happened more than 1000 years ago and we're living in a modern world. The Dark Souls-world has no archaeology, it doesn't even really have a consistent religion, also the world is literally reborn every few hundred years or so. That people in Dark Souls 3 know every little detail about the birth of Pyromancy or the origin of Havel's armor is utter bullshit.

The Nameless King I agree on being a great addition, but that actually was a direct continuation of a hanging plot thread from the first game, not some weird nostalgia-thing. But there are definitely things in there that are just in the game for nostalgia reasons:

- Why is the blacksmith André of Astora again? How is he even alive?
- Why do we randomly go to Anor Londo again?
- Why are the Demon Ruins (including Quelana & The Sister of Chaos) in the game?
- Why is there a random Asylum/Stray Demon on top of Farron Keep?
- Why is there a retread of Siegmeyer of Catarina in the game?
- Why is Patches in the game again?
- Why is the main hub area called Firelink Shrine and do you go to the Kiln of the First Flame in the game when none of those two things even look remotely like their Dark Souls 1 counterparts?
- Why is Kaathe randomly mentioned in a conversation with a NPC even though nothing else in the game ever refers to the primordial serpents?

All these things are in the game for nostalgia reasons only, they have no real purpose in the game except for being there for the fans. Not that I'm complaining, I like most of these decisions a lot. It's just weird that Dark Souls 2 gets a lot of flak for the Old Dragonslayer, while Dark Souls 3 does the exact same thing multiple times. Also, it's silly to say that all the Dark Souls 2 callbacks were purely fanservice: Nashandra and the other queens being created out of Manus was a really cool concept.

The Dark Souls world is very high concept, so applying real world rules on anything in the series is not really a thing you can do. Also, as I said above, we know most of the things you mentioned because people wrote stories and books about them and we found proof of the existence of these civilizations through archaeology, the Dark Souls world has none of those things. Nobody is writing books and nobody is actively researching the past. Hell, in all three games pretty much everyone in the world is dead already, there is no one around to remember the stuff that happened even a year ago. Also, even in the first game there were hints of people just forgetting pretty big parts of history and stuff just disappearing. Oolacile was were Darkroot Gardens are in the main timeline of Dark Souls 1, yet everybody seems to have forgotten the existence of that kingdom or what happened there and in Darkroot Gardens itself there is zero evidence of there ever being a big city.

This is a pretty nonsensical argument and just seems like you can't be bothered to look into the game a little bit and instead want to take everything at face value. Your argument doesn't even make sense.
Books exist in Dark Souls, what do you think The Grand Archives are filled with? What do you think Seath's archives are filled with? What do you think archives are?
Just because you the character never get to read them doesn't mean they don't exist, stories of ancient kingdoms and figures exist, how do you think most of the lore and story in the game is told to the player? Through stories from other characters. Gwyndolin, the son of Gwyn lived up until shortly before the games events, you don't think he told others? In addition to the fact that this games royal lineage among others are of Gwyn's lineage?
In addition to that, you still have evidence of prior kingdoms in all 3 games, that's what half of these games are about, exploring the past and understanding what went down, particularly exploring decrepit kingdoms, and if you're doing it you think others haven't? Would that not be considered a form of archaeology?
Oolacile is also a fairly poor argument considering that:
A: There are still many obvious, large structures in Darkroot garden
A:Oolacile was an unfinished part of the game that was only added later as DLC and wasn't really always going to for sure be in the game at all
A: When you visit Oolacile hundreds of years prior to Darkroot garden its already decrepit
A: A lot of it was also swallowed by the abyss or simply overgrown.

In addition to that "Death" in Dark Souls is hardly "death" you yourself die hundreds of times as likely do others.

in addition to that: Nashandra and the Sisters is a fairly poorly thought out concept which only exists to go "Look guys, this really is a sequel!" its not a cool concept and serves no purpose. It's reviving a dead character simply for the reason of connecting it to the prior game, THAT is nostalgia.
You can argue Patches, Andre and Siegmier are fanservice, because they are. (Even though it's stated that you yourself among others were revived by the tolling of the bell)

The demon ruins exist because they never dissapeared, kind of like Anor Londo never did either and is there to show the player what happened after the loss of the Chaos Flame, you know, like what's explained in game if you actually payed attention. Why is the Old Chaos in Dark Souls 2 despite you killing it in Dark Souls 1 being a major plot point?

You go to Anor Londo to show you how the area has changed with the absence of sunlight and also to show you the Pontiff's influence.

Because Farron built overtop of the catacombs which are in turn on top of the demon ruins, which again, is in game.

Why is Pate an obvious retread and callback to Patches?

Because the linking of the fire had become a world changing event and the shrine was built to honor that and those that had linked the fire. The Firelink Shrine of Dark Souls 1 is an easter egg of Dark Souls 3, but they're not the same thing.

The Kiln of the first flame exists at an entirely different place in time all together when you visit it (Same as the Ringed City) and is after every kingdom had fallen and the world had literally collapsed in on itself

Because Kaathe founded a movement that still exists today. The primordial serpents are also ALL OVER Dark Souls 3, both in the ringed City and in the upper reaches of Lothric Castle to show their influence.

Your entire argument is basically "Well, I couldn't be bothered to pay attention when playing the game and it wasn't spelled out for me, so all of these things make no sense"

I never had a problem there tbh...

"Just because"
lol ok

It's almost as if Dark Souls is a fantasy, magical world completely unlike our own with its own rules and mythology :O Might as well complain about magic and dragons while you're at it.

Also, considering how much misinformation there is about those figures you cited, especially Jesus (and Columbus), and how 6 of the 7 wonders of the ancient world are completely gone (some of which might not have even existed and are actually quite debatable), the idea that humans never forget history is quite the comical one. Not like you'd know about those figures who are actually completely forgotten too, because... again... how would you know xD

Nice misinterpretation of my argument but alright. It's not as if that very same thing is represented in Dark Souls 3 with the abyss watchers following a misinterpreted legend of a figure they think they know about.

and as if it being a fantasy game therefore means basic logic can no longer be applied in any form. Especially when the game being defended does the exact same thing but with a different context.

This is entirely why I get so miffed when I see GAF describing Soulsborne games as masterpieces. They're great games yes, game feel and all that is spot on, but they're far from masterpieces because the narratives are just complete trash. "Oh well they tell a story through the environment..." Okay, that doesn't tell me anything. That Dragon is dead and rotting over there why? Is it diseased? Did someone strike it down? Is this shit supposed to mean anything:

maxresdefault.jpg

No explanation for it. It's just there, and the player is expected to fill in the blanks themselves because the developers know all they need to do is release a game that is brutally difficult and bam, critically acclaimed.

Typical "American" complaint. This type of thinking is why they used to dumb down Japanese games for NA and why QTE fests and long ass cutscenes exist.

cireza

Weird seeing this bumped.

Anyway I gave it a shot and found it really lacking. Attacks felt weightless and all of my enemies felt like damage sponges. Gave up after I beat the Pursuer, which was all of my problems with the game wrapped into one package.

My first attempt was as a sorcerer, and the game didn't even start me off with a shield, or the stats to wield one. Kinda soured me on the whole experience.

I'll probably try again sometime.
Well, not wanting to be rude, but it seems that you aren't even trying lol.

In your OP a few months ago, you said you preferred slower and more methodical gameplay, and this is exactly what Dark Souls II is (by opposition to Dark Souls III gameplay).

As you said, give it another try :)

Kevtones

I really like DS2. Played all the Souls games at release and I like that they changed the hitboxes. I liked the variety over continuity. It was very game-y and it threw a lot of ideas into the level designs.

It's a great game and reminds me of Bioshock 2 in the way it was received.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
So I didn't like Dark Souls 3 at all. I thought the story was nonsensical, the gameplay too fast and reminiscent of Bloodborne without thinking why that game's lightning fast pace worked, Sorcery was just awful and not worth the investment, and a lot of the bosses felt pretty bad, especially the Lords of Cinder (Abyss Watchers aside).

I like Dark Souls because it's slow and methodical. I have to think about every attack I make and suffer the consequences, and Dark Souls 3 didn't really have that. It was too fast and ruined that thoughtful waltz of attacking and blocking, instead feeling like a random smattering of dodging waiting for your chance to attack.

More specifically, is Sorcery good in Dark Souls 2? Because it was just awful and worthless in 3 and I really love Sorcery. It's my preferred way to play Dark Souls.

TLDR: Tell me how good Demon's Souls is and why I'm a casual scrublord for not playing it.

2 is your jam.
Sorcery is also damn good in that game.

Ferr986

Typical "American" complaint. This type of thinking is why they used to dumb down Japanese games for NA and why QTE fests and long ass cutscenes exist.

I'm not even American but that's some shit post. Complaining about something have nothing to do about being American, Japanese or European.

Also, games were dumbed down in Japan actually if you look at some 8/16 bits games (atleast in terms of difficulty) and there's as many QTE games done in Japan than in other places.

MGrant

Only thing DS3 should have adopted from 2 is power stance. Build variety, Miracles, and Sorcery in DS3 are worse than in DS2. Everything else in 3 is better.

Top Bottom