• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you could only have one system between PS1, N64 and Saturn...

Saturn, and it's not even close. The 2D fighters with RAM cart are arcade-perfect and can be played to this day.

1. X-Men vs Streetfighter (arcade perfection w/ RAM cart, no loading times)
2. Soukyugurentai
3. Saturn Bomberman
4. Guardian Heroes
5. Nights into Dreams
6. Virtua Fighter 2 (60 fps, hi-res)
7. Virtua Cop 1 & 2 (the last of the light-gun games)
8. Panzer Dragoon Zwei/Saga
9. Metal Slug (great port with RAM cart)
10. Virtual On

and...

DRAGONFORCE

Azriell

I wonder how many people in here have actually gone back to revisit their favourite games from that generation?

It... doesn't always end well.

PS1 games hold up fairly well. Controls might be off, especially controlling a character in 3d space with a dpad. Graphics aged better than 64 imo, which is a blurry mess with an awful controller(I loved it back then but..).

Can't say anything about Saturn.

I played so much on ps1... but i choose n64.

Ps1 graphics have really bad aged.
N64 has several games really fun for local multiplayer: goldeneye, mario kart, ...

shmoglish

Ps1. Console of my childhood/youth. Had the best times with games like Tekken 3, Final Fantasy 1-20, Metal gear, REvil, TRaider, Crash, Dino Crisis........ Still play some of them from time to time.

fernoca

Nintendo 64

Maybe a Saturn for Burning Rangers, Panzer Dragoon, NiGHTs.

Back then I owned both a 64 and PS. But, despite having and playing more on PSone, everyone I knew had one. So the N64 felt more special in that way since, even. More with Ocarina of Time (and Mario, Conker, Perfect Dark, Banjo).

Yagharek

Ok so as someone who had all three this is incredibly tough to choose but ill base it on a handful of games I consider essential.

Ps1 includes MGS, bushido blade, wipeout 2097, ffvii and klonoa.

N64 includes ocarina, goldeneye, mario 64, ogre battle and sin and punishment.

Saturn includes Sega rally, Virtua Fighter 2, nights, panzer dragoon saga and radiant silvergun.

Those are the ones I would seek out for the respective platforms based on what I would play now.

From that list I'd have to go with Saturn. Back in the day I went with ps1. But I only own the full list of n64 so maybe that's my actual choice.

Regardless, this is an incredibly difficult choice.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Boy, I don't know how some of you are deciding so easily. I thought I could choose when I started writing this post, but I keep changing my mind.

Nope, can't do it.

N64. Never had a PS1 growing up and I'd always wanted one. But looking back, if I could only have one console I wouldn't have it any other way.

ironmang

PS1 easy. I could probably go PS1 only for the next 5 years and not get bored. N64, like all Nintendo consoles since, I would be done with the games I care about in a few months.

Well, the PS1 had the superior kart and party game in Crash Team Racing and Crash Bash, so probably the PS1.

N64 hands down. I got n64 in 1996, and the Ps1 in 97' but here's the kicker. My PS1 was hooked up inside our family van. YES. Those big GMC Savana's(now Chevy), so I could only play the PS1 on family trips cross country. Crazy right?

Meanwhile, my N64's chillin in the basement above good ole Genesis/32X. Which one was more fun at birthday parties? Longer lasting? Smash Brothers and Fifa 98 vs Space Jam and Digimon World?

It's an easy choice.
N64.

My next console was PS2 back in 2006. Six years of glorious backlog....and no van rules. Yeah boy!

SCReuter

Nintendo 64.

EAD and Rare were on another level that generation. I have too much love for their work. (Super Mario 64, Wave Race 64, Blast Corps, Star Fox 64, GoldenEye 007, Banjo-Kazooie, Ocarina of Time, etc.)

PS1.

That system was insanely good for gaming. MGS, Tomb Raiders, Crash, Spyro, Gran Tourismo, Resi 1-3, Dino Crisis 1/2, the best Final Fantasy's, Colony Wars, Medieval...

I could go on but I'd be here all bloody day.

No other 5th gen system comes close to the variety and sheer amount of quality, classic titles the PS1 had.

For my money, it's still the best gaming system anyone has put out, and quite probably ever will, and I'm including modern PC gaming with Steam in that.

Spinoff90

Beyond the wrestling games I didn't enjoy the N64 personally. PS1 had some games I really liked but honestly as a whole it didn't do much for me either. Never had a Saturn and didn't know anybody with one so that is an unkown for me. But for that reason of being a fresh experience combined with another SEGA console (Dreamcast) renewing my interest in gaming I will say Saturn. If I based it on what I have experience with then PS1.

cireza

I choose Saturn of course. It is already the best video-game console for me, so this is an easy choice.

It would be more difficult to choose between MegaDrive/CD/32X and Saturn and Dreamcast for me :)

I grew up with the N64 and love my Saturn, but it's no contest. The PS1 has a clear and obvious advantage in terms of its library. It's impressive not only for its breadth, but for its quality.

Melchiah

PS1, without a question. I wouldn't be able to play Silent Hill, Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, Dino Crisis, and Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, Tomb Raider and WipEout series on the other systems.

redcrayon

Like in current time? N64. A alot of those ps1 games have not aged too well.
You say that, but at least the PSOne had a shedload of 2D games that still look great. They were in the minority on the system as the 3D games were the ones being pushed and thus the ones it's most famous for, but it's the 2D PSOne RPGs that I return to rather than the 3D games that make up a large part of the library and virtually all of the N64 catalogue. The Saturn has a few shmups well worth playing too.

Top Bottom