• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you could only have one system between PS1, N64 and Saturn...

TheXbox

Saturn. There's a only a handful of games I care about on either the PS1 or N64. Trash generation. At least the Saturn has some great arcade ports and shmups.

Saturn. There's a only a handful of games I care about on either the PS1 or N64. Trash generation. At least the Saturn has some great arcade ports and shmups.

I was going to quote this, replying with your avatar, but then I noticed your name, and got a good laugh out of it all. You win.

VNJCAjR.png

Good show

FStop7

Banned
Probably my least favorite console generation but I'd take the PS1 in a heartbeat. Soul Edge, FF7-9, Gran Turismo 1+2, SOTN, etc.

shandy706

N64

I can't trade Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Goldeneye, Conker, Perfect Dark, Banjo Kazooie, Diddy Kong Racing, Mario 64, Wave Race, F-Zero X, Turok (all of them), Starfox, Killer Instinct Gold, Smash Brothers, Pilot Wings, Excite Bike, Blast Corps...I guess I could keep going..etc.

The Saturn had some great arcade level stuff, but nothing to overturn the above.

The PS1 had a great library....but I can't give up the above. Not even for GT or FFVII+. Heck I have GT1/2 sitting together at the house.

Celine

I know what it's based on. I've been playing the series since the start. It's still the weakest link. Hell, I remember there being a 99 lap challenge in RR64, where my brothers simply put the car in a left drift and let it navigate the entire course for them.

It's good in relation to the average N64 racer (worse than its better ones though), but it's very low on the pecking order of Ridge Racer titles, whereas Rage, Type 4 and RRV are the probably the three best.
Good thing you can choose between the drifting system created by NST or the one from RRR (the collision system is customizable too).
Weakest link?
Let's say we disagree on this one because I won't take RR or RRR over 64.
It's surely a "fast link" though :)

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
PS1 is like a buffet, there's no many games that it's basically the best choice regardless of what your favorite genres are.
My favourite genre is platformer, particularly collectathon. The best one available on PS1 is an incomplete port of a game that's also available on N64, Rayman 2. PS1's own collectathon series, Spyro, is absolute trash, so that leaves me with said inferior Rayman 2 port, Crash Bandicoot 1 & 2 (and if I'm generous, Crash 3, but that's really one unfocussed mess) and Croc as far as at least decent 3D platforming goes. For that genre (but also my runner ups: Action-Adventure in the Zelda sense, future racing) PS1 clearly is the worse choice than N64.

meppi

I legitimately think anyone answering anything other than PS1 is an edgelord here (Or didn't own one and is fighting the good console warrior fight 20 years later). MOST of the games for all three of these systems haven't 'aged well' by most standards, but the PS1 was an embarassment of riches for gaming. Multiplat was barely even a thing that gen, so it is probably something like an 85-10-5 split in terms of percentages of good games back then, PS1-N64-Saturn.

I really take issue with that numbers game.
Look there's no accounting for taste, but those kinds of numbers are not realistic in any sort of way, no matter how you look at it.
My personal count for those systems for example. Note that I don't do sports games unless they are arcade based like International Track & Field or Winter Heat.
But besides that, I play just about any genre and have more or less completed my collection for these systems. This includes western and Japanese games btw.
Again, just something personal, but just one example of that split making no damn sense unless you only had a PSone.

PSone: 210
Saturn: 242
N64: 57

dogen

I really take issue with that numbers game.
Look there's no accounting for taste, but those kinds of numbers are not realistic in any sort of way, no matter how you look at it.

Yeah, he thinks N64 has twice as many good games as saturn? Can't be serious lol.

Synth

Good thing you can choose between the drifting system created by NST or the one from RRR (the collision system is customizable too).
Weakest link?
Let's say we disagree on this one because I won't take RR or RRR over 64.
It's surely a "fast link" though :)

Yea, we can agree to disagree one this (tbf, we've been agreeing to disagree on quite a few things from back then over the course of a few discussions). I will admit that my recollection of RR64 is hardly perfect, as I've never returned to it after its year of release (I go back to RR and RRR quite often though).

Regardless of where we both stand on how good RR64 is though, my original point still holds. If you yourself acknowledge that 64 is more RRR than Rage Racer, then someone that lists Rage Racer specifically (and not just "all Ridge Racers") as a game they love, won't necessarily love RR64. I didn't, and I loved the original two games even.

Celine

Yea, we can agree to disagree one this (tbf, we've been agreeing to disagree on quite a few things from back then over the course of a few discussions). I will admit that my recollection of RR64 is hardly perfect, as I've never returned to it after its year of release (I go back to RR and RRR quite often though).

Regardless of where we both stand on how good RR64 is though, my original point still holds. If you yourself acknowledge that 64 is more RRR than Rage Racer, then someone that lists Rage Racer specifically (and not just "all Ridge Racers") as a game they love, won't necessarily love RR64. I didn't, and I loved the original two games even.
I jokingly responded to a gaffer (Katana_Strikes) who wrote he only really loved 3 games on N64 by taking 3 other games on N64 by the same series he regarded as unmissable on PS1.
It was nothing too serious, I'm not sure why we are discussing so long about it.

EDIT (to expand on my response to Katana_Strikes):
Will he ever play RR64? Will he like it more or less than Rage Racer? I have no idea.
Will he ever play Resident Evil 2 on N64? Will he like it more or less than Resident Evil he cited? I have no idea.
Will he ever play Micro Machines 64 Turbo on N64? Will he like it more or less than Micro Machine V3 (despite being basically the same game) he cited? I have no idea.
But that's beside the "funny" point I was making that on N64 there are a few games in the series of the games he regarded as unmissable on PS1 which magically could double the selection of N64 games he could love.

Explaining jokes is boring.

Synth

I jokingly responded to a gaffer (Katana_Strikes) who wrote he only really loved 3 games on N64 by taking 3 other games on N64 by the same series he regarded as unmissable on PS1.
It was nothing too serious, I'm not sure why we are discussing so long about it.

EDIT (to expand on my response to Katana_Strikes):
Will he ever play RR64? Will he like it more or less than Rage Racer? I have no idea.
Will he ever play Resident Evil 2 on N64? Will he like it more or less than Resident Evil he cited? I have no idea.
Will he ever play Micro Machines 64 Turbo on N64? Will he like it more or less than Micro Machine V3 (despite being basically the same game) he cited? I have no idea.
But that's beside the "funny" point I was making that on N64 there are a few games in the series of the games he regarded as unmissable on PS1 which magically could double the selection of N64 games he could love.

Explaining jokes is boring.

To be fair, I honestly didn't read your initial response as a joke, as both Resident Evil 2 and (especially) Micro Machines made perfect sense to me. The only one that seemed dubious was Rage Racer to RR64, so I commented on that one.

Don't mind me.

Top Bottom