• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you could only have one system between PS1, N64 and Saturn...

BstnRich

PS1.

It's pretty much indisputable that the PS1's library is leagues above the other two. Love that grungy little console.

Celine

4) AM2>>>Namco, and this was a pretty big deal if you love your arcade games (which you likely do if you enjoy games from this era).
I think this is undeniably true and one of the reason to still consider highly of the Saturn (the other being 2D games).
I'd say though that Saturn lack in "fully 3D explorable games".
Of course there are example of it like Panzer Dragoon Saga but they are very few.
It's not a coincidence that Saturn severely lack in the 3D platfom genre (there is Tomb Raider, Croc, Ninpen Manmaru, Burning Rangers and little else).

PS1, no competition.

Maybe if N64 didn't have a garbage tier controller it'd be able to compete. Actually nah, PS1 library still dumps all over it.

Saturn didn't even occupy a consideration.

Labadal

While I like the other two choices, they don't come close to the library of the PS1 in terms of games that I enjoy. Then we have another factor, the amount of jrpgs/srpgs available on the system. It also has some of my favorite games of all time, including, Final Fantasy IX, Final Fantasy Tactics and much more.

Dremark

Banned
Obviously gotta be PS1.

That isn't to say I don't love my Saturn and while I've never been a huge fan of the N64 you can't deny that some of the games on it were classics.

Bioshocker

Being a Sega fanboy at the time I had no other choice (that's how a fanboy thinks) but to buy the Saturn. Today I would naturally have bought the PlayStation. No question about it.

kromeo

The jrpgs on ps1 are the only things I'd actually want to go back and play at this point. The 2 Zelda games are the only things I would really miss from N64

Autofokus

Probably PS1.
20 years ago, poor & young I went N64-only - couldn't afford going multi. Back then I regretted my decision, there was very often a drought of games and many 3rd party titles which looked (and partially played) technically really bad against those rare (no pun intended) 1st/2nd party stuff.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I think owning a N64 cemented me as a Zelda fan so I wouldn't have it any other way, N64 it is. I couldn't even afford all the games that were on the system to begin with so it's not like I missed out on a huge treasure of games. Still like the PS1 tho, great system.

Don't care about a single thing on the N64, could *almost* say the same for the Saturn but it does have Sega Rally, but the PS1 was such a behemoth it'd clearly have to be that.

i'd say saturn if i had more local competition for fighting games. can't beat saturn here. you practically have to choose psx if you want a huge library of everything.

unfortunately, saturn lacks many localizations because of incompetence. sony was a few steps ahead over everyone else here.

N64 doesn't even qualify. it doesn't have 2D games while the other systems had many unforgettable 2D games.

Owned both loved both but the RPG output on the PS1 is what pushes it over.
I'd be interested in seeing where people label intra company systems. Such as.

PS1 vs. PS2 vs. PS3

N64 vs. Gamecube vs. Wii

gypsygib

I had more fun on my half-brother's saturn than my PS1.

Virtua Fighter 2 and all the racers. It was the first time I truly felt like I had an arcade in my living room.

Mugy

Playstation, N64 its really close tho.

For whatever reason some people here are suggesting PS1 didn't have some good multiplayer games? I remember having fun playing:

-PoyPoy 2
-Crash Bash
-Super Puzzle Fighter II
-Micromachines V3
-Fighting Force
-Tony Hawk Pro Skaters 2
-Micromaniacs

Yeah, those aren't really on a Mario Party or Smash Bros level, but they were still really fun to play with someone else.

N64. And the games I would have are:

Space Station Silicon Valley
1080 Snowboarding
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
World Driver Championship
F1 World Grand Prix
F1 World Grand Prix II
Mario Kart 64 (only bettered by MK Wii)

Would definitely be the PS1 but the Saturn would be second. N64 a distant 3rd. It only had Mario 64, Banjo and Goldeneye I really loved.

I'd not have been able to pass up on such greats such as FFVII (as well as IX), Resident Evil, Rage Racer, Micromachines, MGS, Dino Crisis2 etc. Classics.

The Saturn was magnificent however, it would have been a crime to miss the Sega arcade classics, Panzer Dragoon series and NiGHTs. Shame so many of these have never been ported. Lost classics.

N64 simply for the fact it was both the first and last "party" console where endless hours were spent with 4+ friends playing Goldeneye, WCW/NWO, WrestleMania, Mario Party, etc.

I had very few games for it but I have countless fond memories that will never be duplicated.

cuilan

It would be a very difficult choice between the PS1 and the Saturn.

Ultimately, I'd have to pick the Saturn due to it having a larger library of high replay value games, plus the better controller. Those two things would be very important if it's going to be the only system that I'm allowed to play games on forever.

Nategc20

Banned
Ps1

I wasn't really satisfied with my n64. Goldeneye and the WCW games was one of the greatest multiplayer experiences in my entire life though so i dont know....

Such an easy choice.

PS1 all the way.

With its vast library of games you had something for everyone and the quality was decent or better.

#PS1makinggaminggreat..again

Top Bottom