• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you could only have one system between PS1, N64 and Saturn...

Glin

I picked the N64 back in the day. So it is for me the N64. All though I bought an used PS1, but I sold it immedialtey after playing Resident Evil. All due to the frikkin loading time. I'm glad Nintendo returns with cartridges.

enemy2k

PS1 fa sho! The wide breadth of RPGs on it just can't be topped by the other systems. And since I was heavily into RPGs then, especially JRPGs the PS1 is the obvious choice for me. The Saturn and N64 had some great titles, don't get me wrong. But the quality and quantity just can't be matched.

Occam

Anyone not replying PS1 probably doesn't really know its library (including imports).
For instance, let's have a quick look at PS1's 2D shooting game selection. PS1 actually has more exclusive (=non arcade port) 2D shooting games than Saturn: Gradius Gaiden, R-Type Delta, Einhander, Harmful Park, Raiden DX, Zanac X Zanac, and more. Some arcade ports are better on PS1, eg Dodonpachi, Gradius Deluxe, Salamander Deluxe, Strikers 1945 I and II, Raystorm, etc. There are also several arcade ports on PS1 that were not ported to Saturn, for example R-Types (R-Type 1+2), G-Darius, Toaplan Shooting Battle 1, Xevious 3D/G+, RayCrisis, Night Raid and so on.

And that's just one genre.

PS1 also happens to have the best version of one of the best 2D games ever: Castlevania Symphony of the Night.

jdstorm

Banned
N64. I couldnt deal with the load times on PS1.

Nor could i give up the best games on the N64 (Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, DK64, Mario kart 64, Supermario 64, and OoT to name a small handful)

hongcha

Anyone not replying PS1 probably doesn't really know its library (including imports).

This is quite a ridiculous statement to make. I've played hundreds of PS1 games over 20+ years including every one you mention. English and Japanese (I can read both languages). Sorry to burst your bubble, but I still like the Saturn's library better.

fury

Saturn for me. Sega arcade ports, best versions of Capcom 2D fighters, essential Sega exclusives, and the best d-pad ever. Man, I miss Sega in their hardware days...

For instance, let's have a quick look at PS1's 2D shooting game selection. PS1 actually has more exclusive (=non arcade port) 2D shooting games than Saturn: Gradius Gaiden, R-Type Delta, Einhander, Harmful Park, Raiden DX, Zanac X Zanac, and more. Some arcade ports are better on PS1, eg Dodonpachi, Gradius Deluxe, Salamander Deluxe, Strikers 1945 I and II, Raystorm, etc. There are also several arcade ports on PS1 that were not ported to Saturn, for example R-Types (R-Type 1+2), G-Darius, Toaplan Shooting Battle 1, Xevious 3D/G+, RayCrisis, Night Raid and so on.

And that's just one genre.

PS1 also happens to have the best version of one of the best 2D games ever: Castlevania Symphony of the Night.

Keep trying to convince yourself inside your Sony bubble.

eso76

That's exactly what happened back then, went with PS1 and i would do it again.
Huge library and diversity.

But wait, do you mean today, without altering our gaming memories ?
I never owned a Saturn or a N64, so having already played tons of Ps1 games i would probably choose one of those then.

As someone who owned an N64 and a PS1 ( never had a Saturn):

I played my PS1 more than my N64 because at the time I was crazy about JRPGs and the PS1 was a fantastic system for JRPGs. Squaresoft's output on the system is unrivaled, it was their absolute best era.

But today, I would choose the N64. It had a much smaller, less diverse library but also the absolute best games of that generation. Quality > quantity. Nothing on the PS1 comes close to Super Mario 64 or the Zelda games, timeless classics whose gameplay holds up even today. The N64 also had the best multiplayer games like Smash, Mario Kart or Goldeneye.

On the technical side, I couldn't stomach the loading times of PS1 games today, they were simply awful. And PS1 3D graphics are the ugliest of all time. Games like Metal Gear Solid make my eyes bleed today, it looks hideous.

Occam

This is quite a ridiculous statement to make. I've played hundreds of PS1 games over 20+ years including every one you mention. English and Japanese (I can read both languages). Sorry to burst your bubble, but I still like the Saturn's library better.

Keep trying to convince yourself inside your Sony bubble.

What bubble? I have an extensive Saturn collection (even Panzer Dragoon Saga, Taroumaru, Radiant Silvergun). Saturn is among my favorite systems, it's just not as good as PS1. PS1 has a much more diverse library.

Spman2099

Obviously Playstation.

If I could only have one console's library of games exist, and all the others erased from time, it would be the Playstation's.

Celine

Let's do this by genre...

Arcade racing: PS1 > Saturn > N64 (I'm sure plenty would choose Saturn!)
I find the racing selection on Saturn to be very weak.
You have a couple of masterpieces ported to Saturn very well (for what the console could do) like Sega Rally and Daytona CE which are among the best games on the system but there is very little else worthy to be played (Need for speed, Wipeout 2097, Sega Ages Outrun, maybe Virtua Racing).
N64 had a much better selection in the genre.

Spman2099

For the record, when including the Japanese releases the Saturn is also a VERY strong console. However, it still isn't the PS1.

Caayn

N64 for me. Diddy Kong Racing, Mario Kart, Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, Pokemon Stadium 1/2, Golden eye, Smash all sway me towards the N64. It may not have the largest or most diverse library but it does have the game that entertained me the most.
YeahOk.gif

PS1 is the obvious answer for me, but N64 and Saturn brought some good things to that gen.

The consoles all had their own identity, so owning multiple consoles in that generation was not redundant.

gelf

PS1 has the edge from shear volume of quality releases and I'd say it was the best system of the generation but despite that the Saturn has more of my absolute favourites so I'd still take that. N64 isn't even a consideration in this.

N64

Nothing on the saturn interested me and apart from Metal Gear, Spyro and Medal of Honor, I had more fun on the N64 than PSX, They even had Tony Hawk 1&2 (though I had them both on DC)

Chinbo37

I had a N64 growing up and also got a PS1 later but I played the N64 a lot more.

So I would go with PS1 as there are more great games that I havent played yet.

Arunotaku

Neo Member
Saturn

219950_screenshots_2013-06-05_00004.jpg

N64.

Mario 64
Banjo Kazooie
OoT/MM
Goldeneye/Perfect Dark
Star fox, smash bros, Mario Kart

Much higher highs than anything PS1 offered, period. Local multi perfection. Also, fuck loading times and memory cards.

Xater

PS1, this doesn't even require a lot of thought.

Huge game library with lots of classics. The other two don't even compare. N64 is also super hard for me to get back to. Even more so than the PS1 or the Saturn, because most of the games run like garbage on it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
SM64, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask. PS1 may have more great games, but none reach the soaring highs of the N64 library's greatest.

What bubble? I have an extensive Saturn collection (even Panzer Dragoon Saga, Taroumaru, Radiant Silvergun). Saturn is among my favorite systems, it's just not as good as PS1. PS1 has a much more diverse library.

I too have hundreds of PSX games and hundreds of Saturn games. Saturn library is superior imo.

Playstation. So many years later I still have pending stuff.

Saturn? I would probably liked it, if I knew japanese. Most of the good stuff stayed there

N64? Sorry, 90% of what I played in that era was jrpgs. What am I supposed to play, Quest 64? If I was stuck with that console I would have to find another hobby.

On topic here, it's a difficult choice. Both N64 and Saturn have a stronger 1st party line up in my opinion. Nintendo's coming off as the one with the best quality titles, perhaps also the most original as the titles weren't found anywhere else like in PC, other console ports or the arcades.

Personally though I have a ton of affection for the first Resident Evil trilogy, the WipEout one, the four Ridge Racer titles, plus I love the two Dino Crisis games and MGS1. So it has to be the PS1 for me. Even though most of these titles weren't exclusive.

So?

Your initial post reeks of an aggressive and biased opinion that basically announces that it is the only correct one.

Top Bottom