• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you could only have one system between PS1, N64 and Saturn...

TokiDoki

PS1 no doubt .

How can anyone missed out Squaresoft golden era ?

tumblr_m8s0mhP67O1r5jta4o3_250.gif

hype train

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Even though N64 had some or my all time favorite titles, I have to go with PS1 in this scenario. There's just so much good quality content for it. It was an amazing console, both for local mp and single player games, and, I think, the main reason for the enourmous success of ps2.

Dambrosi

Banned
I've been there and lived that life, OP. Let me tell you how it went.

I owned both a PS1 and a Saturn in those days (both bought super-cheap as second-hand), and of course the PS1 was objectively superior...for 3D games, which were new to most console gamers and all the rage back then, so of course I had to have one. But my first true console love was the Saturn, and it maintains a large pull on my gaming heart to this day.

Yes, even though I was a young teen in the UK, where most of the most amazing Saturn games never appeared, there was still enough to keep me satisfied. Utterly unique games like Nights, Panzer Dragoon (all of them), Astal (which I just bought off eBay), not to mention most, if not all the best versions of the leading arcade shooting and fighting games of the era (yeah, not including Namco, and I wasn't a Tekken fan before 5) and you have one of, if not the most charming and eclectic game libraries outside of the PS1 and Dreamcast.

Believe me, I'm not denigrating the PS1's library at all - I still haven't begun to skim below the surface of its shmup selection, for starters - but I can't find it in me to regard the PS1's 2D fighter selection to be anything but inferior to the Saturn's (thanks to the RAM carts that came with some Capcom and SNK games), and some of the Saturn's landmark titles (Virtua Fighter 2, Sega Rally, Shining Force 3, Magic Knight Rayearth, both Virtua Cops, Nights, etc) both aren't available on any other console (until PS3 for VF2 and SR, of course), and were instrumental in forming my current taste in games. I can't really say that for the PS1, even though it too had a lot of excellent exclusives. I guess it really is feels before reals, after all.

(I also prefer PC Engine over NES, mostly because I never had access to a TG16 in the UK at the time, but also because I think NES games look like crap. See? It's just a matter of taste!)

Obviously Saturn.

I can´t live without Sega Rally, Daytona CCE, Virtua Fighter 2/Fighter Megamix, Nights, Sonic R, Panzer Dragoon Series, Shining Force 3, Burning Rangers, Capcom's 2D Fighters and so on.

It also has a good amount of suitable 3rd Party games ports.

SuomiDude

While it lacks in quantity, it excells in quality. N64 has easily the best games, so I'd go with that. There's Mario, Banjos, Golden Eye, Perfect Dark, Turoks, Paper Mario, Wave Race, 1080 Snowboarding, F-Zero, Lylat Wars and dozen other top quality games that those other consoles can only dream of.

amardilo

PS1

I had a PS1 during the PS1, N64 and Saturn generation and I have a lot of fond memories of playing that so I'd pick that console.

Vercimber

Nobody said they don't have good games. Great games even. But the sheer volume of great games isn't comparable no matter the genre.

The people you mention who are clinging to their memory of being 8 and getting OoT are exactly what I'm talking about.

Imagine if the PS2 gen had 90% of cross-platform titles only on the PS2, that's what the PS1 gen was like. The ratio of shit to quality was honestly not that different between the systems (There was a lot of shit all around) but the PS1 has like 7 times as many games as the other two. There is no genre it is lacking a AAA classic in, and both of the other systems have major gaps.

I had over 600 games during the time, loved my PS1 (and to a much lesser extent, my N64). Most of my games were PS1 games. Most of my playtime was on the Saturn (probably by a factor of 3). If you accessed the Saturn import market, and if you had a taste for arcade games and 2D games, the Saturn smashed the PS1. "Edgelord." Seriously? No matter the genre? Compare 2D shoot-em-ups. Compare DECENT 2D fighter ports.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
PS1. The N64 had the better games with Mario 64, Ocarina and Majora, but after that, it was a wasteland. The PS1 had no games of that quality - but so many good to great-games that it could probably last you a lifetime.

RBIYF

Neo Member
N64, for the kind of games I enjoy and my favorite games from that generation. I know because the N64 was my primary system during the Fifth Generation of consoles, in addition, my brother-in-law has a legacy system entertainment setup in his basement, and everytime I go over, it's the N64 that I play.

Canklestank

Neo Member
N64. Not even close, really.

I had a PS1 and later an N64. I preferred the N64 by a lot.

I've never even touched a Saturn though, so I'll have to look through this thread and see what games are worth playing on it. No one ever talked about it back in the day.

ironmang

PS1 obviously. I love my PS1.

Ch1jruB.jpg

N64 and Saturn are also fantastic systems.

Seeing pictures like this makes me regret selling off so much of my collection towards PS2 games. Hopefully they don't become star wars figures type collectors items and I can rebuild a collection in the future.

Vinc

As a kid, N64 served me well. I loved those franchises (still do) and only got one or two games a year at most.

Right now as an adult though, I'd go with PS1.

XanaviF30

2D fighters and Sega games, so the Saturn. The PS1 has an incredible library and the N64 had Mario64 and The Zelda games. But having own all 3 consoles, I enjoyed playing games on the Saturn the most.

Sephzilla

You're really not making a bad choice if you pick either the PS1 or the N64 because both games have pretty solid libraries. I'm not a fan of the recent trend of retroactively shitting on the N64.

Now, picking the Saturn on the other hand is just a poor idea all around

Santar

I'd go with ps1.
In reality I went with n64 and while it has some truly great games the breath of games on the ps1 beats it.

Synth

You're really not making a bad choice if you pick either the PS1 or the N64 because both games have pretty solid libraries. I'm not a fan of the recent trend of retroactively shitting on the N64.

I terms of library breadth, I'd say that the N64 is significantly worse than the Saturn. And if you're not gonna have 3 other people going on this ride with you, it's even worse.

Fularu

Banned

Spoken like someone who has never touched a Saturn in his life

Or close enough.

Tain

I legitimately think anyone answering anything other than PS1 is an edgelord here (Or didn't own one and is fighting the good console warrior fight 20 years later). MOST of the games for all three of these systems haven't 'aged well' by most standards, but the PS1 was an embarassment of riches for gaming. Multiplat was barely even a thing that gen, so it is probably something like an 85-10-5 split in terms of percentages of good games back then, PS1-N64-Saturn.

you're calling people "edgelords" while in the very same post putting the N64 above the Saturn?

c'mon man

_Ryo_

Obviously, PS1.

PS1 has the most RPGs. RPGs generally have longer play times than other genres, which is a plus imo.

Then there is the fact that it has one of the best 2.5D platformers ever, and that is Klonoa.

Of the 3 systems, Ps1 has the best versions of Wipe-Out, Tomb Raider, and Resident Evil, Tony Hawk and Spider-Man

Then you gotta count Crash, Tomba, Spyro.

There's Silent Hill, Dino Crisis, Policenauts, Metal Gear Solid...

Yeah, it's PS1.

Saturn would come next if all the PS1s tragically vanished.

PSone for sure. Massive library, shit ton of great games.

N64 has great games too but the library is exponentially smaller, and the look doesn't age well for many games.

Saturn, I suspect, had awesome games in Japan, but still probably a too small, too inconsequential library.

Toli08

Has to be the ps1. Ff6,7,9,tactics and all the other amazing games.
N64 would be real close with orciana, mario 64, wwf no mercy and mario kart but the ps1 just has way more games and selection.

N64 for me. It didn't have the most games, far from it, but it had the best. It's a top-heavy library, but that counts for a lot. It has my favorite single-player and multi-player games ever.

PS1. The N64 had the better games with Mario 64, Ocarina and Majora, but after that, it was a wasteland. The PS1 had no games of that quality - but so many good to great-games that it could probably last you a lifetime.

No games of that quality? Are you on crack? The Nintendo games you mentioned are all great but to say no Playstation game was on that level is just silly.

Top Bottom