• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you don't already, y'all should donate blood.

Par Score

I refuse to support a system that helps to sustain and perpetuate societal bigotry against Gay and Bi men. The current rules serve to make sure that even 50 years after gay sex was decriminalised, it's still stigmatised and denigrated.

A straight dude can go out and fuck a different women every night for a year, no condoms, no checks, and then go give blood the next day.

A gay dude can have been totally celibate since he broke up with his long term boyfriend 2 months ago, who he only ever had sex with while wearing a condom, and be banned from giving blood.

Fuck. That.

JettDash

I refuse to support a system that helps to sustain and perpetuate societal bigotry against Gay and Bi men. The current rules serve to make sure that even 50 years after gay sex was decriminalised, it's still stigmatised and denigrated.

A straight dude can go out and fuck a different women every night for a year, no condoms, no checks, and then go give blood the next day.

A gay dude can have been totally celibate since he broke up with his long term boyfriend 2 months ago, who he only ever had sex with while wearing a condom, and be banned from giving blood.

Fuck. That.

I don't have a problem with your decision here. But that the same time many people need blood and they have basically no say in the system and will die if if everyone feels the same.

MikeyB

If thegy are going to screen out MSM they need to screen out promiscuous straight men and women.

But anyway, I am going to keep donating blood because it saves lives at the end of the day.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
stopped donating when my employer decided we dont get the time anymore. I work in government and they decided its not important anymore..

who knew...

SamVimes

Fuck. That.
I can see your point, but a straight man who does what you described can't donate blood. Furthermore, donating blood is about the individual that receives it, not the one that gives it.

I train 5 Days per week, can i donate blood and still train?
Yes, but they advise you to not train on the same day.

Stalwart

Fuck. That.

Agreed.

mid83

Fuck. That.

As somebody who works in a hospital with critical patients, it’s not about politics or social issues. It’s about saving the lives of the patients who need the blood. I’m not saying the policy is right or we shouldn’t change it, but we already are restricting people that shouldn’t be restricted. Having people who are eligible to donate and don’t for the reason above are only hurting those patients.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
But I need it to live. :(

Nah, I've been thinking that I should be doing this for a long time. It's really just a matter of... doing it instead of doing other stuff, I guess.

LayLa

not allowed to donate as I have CFS, and as nobody knows what causes it they err on the side of caution in case it can be transmitted via blood. which is fair enough tbh.

Stanng243

No thank you. Needles are evil. And the red cross can harass you way too much. They once called everyone in my family one right after another at dinner time. After the third call, we just started saying no and hanging up, even for the people who were planning on donating blood.

Clearos

I try to give blood but I have been blacked balled and yet to figure out a way to clear my name.

I gave blood when I was in high school and tests came back that I had Hep. C.
Got my blood tested independently and it came up clean but to this day I will continue to get refused once they run my name.

Shadybiz

I do. My job has a drive every couple of months, and I give each time. Pretty convenient, and I'm O+, which is needed, so hell yeah.

No thank you. Needles are evil. And the red cross can harass you way too much. They once called everyone in my family one right after another at dinner time. After the third call, we just started saying no and hanging up, even for the people who were planning on donating blood.

Well you don't have to answer the phone every time someone calls. If I answered the phone every time someone called, I'd spend 2 hours a day on the line with scammers and people trying to sell me an extended warranty for my car.

I understand the fear of needles though; that is quite common.

AAK

I used to donate every 4 months from 2007 - 2012.

Then the Canadian Blood Services added a rule that if you ever lived for more than 6 months in Saudi Arabia you're banned from giving blood for good even though I haven't set foot anywhere near the middle east in over a decade.

Roubjon

Wait, so if a man has anal sex with a woman they are in the clear to donate, but if a man has anal sex with a man that's not okay?

SeriousApes

I donated for the first time this past Tuesday. I really never liked getting my blood drawn, it kinda freaks me out, but it wasn't so bad donating once everything was set up. I think it's even easier, because with blood work, they're attaching and detaching multiple vials, which makes me uncomfortable.

I actually started laughing partway through because I could feel the tube that was resting on my arm pump every time my heart beat. I still didn't look when they put the needle in and took it out. But I felt glad to help by donating.

jason10mm

Gold Member
The "paid plasma" places can pay for plasma because they render it into various products that sterilize the plasma. So your personal infectious risk isn't relevant. Places like the red cross can't completely screen or sterilize the blood products they collect so they don't incentivize donations because that may encourage folks to lie on the questionnaire.

They are starting to relax some of the behavioral restrictions (time in prison, being gay but not actually engaging in same sex intercourse, etc). Blood bankers are, in general, a very conservative bunch (not politically, but in terms of risk taking) and vividly remember the deaths from transfusion transmitted hepatitis, HIV, and other diseases before we had adequate testing. Any panic about the safety of the blood supply gets massively overblown and has a big impact on folks willingness to receive blood (and sometimes to even donate).

Give it time. The testing gets better and better, and we have ways to inactivate viruses or bacteria in blood. As we get more data the restrictions will continue to ease.

I've been working in transfusion medicine for almost 20 years. Donate if and when you can. No one is getting rich off of donated blood and thousands and thousands of people rely on it to stay alive.

When I donated my kidney the blood tests were every week and a lot. They gotta make sure you are 1000% healthy so one time I had like 8 test forms and wanted to get it all done. They drew like 26 viles of blood at once lol. My vein collapsed near the end. Felt faint. And really 26 viles sounds like a lot but it is only half of what a blood donor gives if my math is correct. A vile of blood is usually around 10ml and a blood donor gives about half a litre.

I gave blood in high school and don't remember feeling as bad as I did giving the 26 viles of blood.

They sucked me dry during my time in the German Navy, donated enough blood to fill a blood bank by myself. I did my part, leave me and my blood alone :(

Morts

I was told 15 or so years ago I couldn't because I'm on antidepressants. That still true?

I tend to pass out when I get blood tests anyway.

TheExodu5

Banned
I didn't think I would faint at the sight of blood. No issues with needles or taking blood samples.

But when I went in for ingrown toenail surgery, they said I could watch if I wanted. I figured why not? As soon as they started cutting into my toenail bed and blood started pouring out, I got incredibly flush, started to sweat profusely, and felt like I was going to throw up. Very nearly passed out. Horrible, horrible feeling.

I've had protected anal sex with my ex-bf in the past few months and just got tested for HIV and came up negative. I still wouldn't be able to donate blood for 12 months if somebody really needed it.It's a stupid system that's discriminatory for no reason. It's not the 1980s anymore, we're close to a cure now for HIV and the health care industry is still freaking out about it. Makes no sense.

Jims

Is it still worth it to donate AB+ blood? I got the impression that mine wasn't really needed as badly, but if there's an overall volume they need (no matter what type), maybe I should donate more often.

I don't mind needles at all; sometimes I'll watch them stick it in. The one time I donated blood I was feeling totally fine, and then I was wondering why the nurse was putting ice packs around my neck... and then I started losing consciousness.

I'm afraid of doing it again, partially because I don't want to be an inconvenience by passing out and partially because I felt so awful the rest of the day—like I could feel my bone marrow trying to churn out as much new blood as it could. ...Fuck, just thinking about that feeling gets me feeling woozy again.

Giving platelets is terrible. They stick the biggest needs they got into both arms (the ones that leave visible circles when they're out) and you can't bend your arms for hours because they're the giant metal needles that would tear up your veins if you moved at all.

And got help you if you didn't drink a lot of water or you drank too much water.

Top Bottom