• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

if you own a current-gen console, how do you justify buying new hardware in Q4 2017?

duckroll

Here's how I justify buying new hardware:

Is there a game I want to play on it I can't play anywhere else? -> Do I want it bad enough that I want to pay the asking price? -> Are there other games on the system which I can benefit from?

Pretty simple. I don't feel any pressure to get new hardware, I just buy what I want.

Azriell

Justifying a Switch purchase was easy for me when it was only Zelda. Now with Mario+Rabbids and Mario Odyssey, it's not even a question. And of course there are other gems as well, but these three are the stars imo.

Justifying a PS4 Pro was not as easy. I bought it primarily for PS4. That's a pretty good reason, but it would be a better reason if there were more PS4 games to buy. I'm happy with my purchase but I would have cut it if money was tighter.

XB1X is the one I cannot justify. I really want it, but there are not enough exclusives for XB1. At this point I'm planning on waiting a few years and then getting one for $300 so I can play OG Xbox and 360 games.

Edit: SNES Mini is a collectors item for me. I will buy it if I find one in the wild, but I'll probably never open the box (I might take it out to display it on my shelf but I can't see myself playing games on it much since it isn't explandable). I've (re)played most of those games in the past 3 years, and I will likely continue to play SNES games on my GPD Win until Switch VC.

Mithos

Personally, I wouldn't classify a SNES Classic as hardware in the same way buying a Switch/PS4/XBO would be. It's a one-time purchase (no additional games to buy) & its price is the same as a regular $60 AAA game with $20 season pack would be.

That depend on where you live, the asking price at all retailers currently is 1590SEK (~195 usd)

anddo0

I really want a Xbox One X. But I don't need it.The exclusives aren't there. I already own a 1070 laptop, PS4 Pro and a Switch.

I bought the Switch Zelda, Mario and the other unique Nintendo franchises.

PS4- I've been deeply invested in Sony franchises for year's; Single player offerings are unmatched.

PC-The best way to experience muriplatform game's. Home of some of the best strategy game's, indie titles etc...

I'll grab a Snes classic if I can ; not getting my hopes up.

Now that the Switch isn't selling out instantly and I can actually find them I've been really tempted to get one. I keep telling myself to wait until Octopath comes out though.

im_dany

I own a Switch, a 3DS and an X1S. Would've gone for a PS4 but I don't see anything I really want to play (apart from TLG and maybe Horizon) to justify the hardware, and no way I'm going to move for multiplats like Destiny 2 when I already pay for XBL Gold. I have the money, I like the upgrades even at 1080p (mainly loading times, supersampling that should kill aliasing, smoother BC experience) so I'm going to sell my X1S and get an X1X. My main games for fall 2017 will be, other than Destiny 2 (which I already bought at launch): South Park, Shadow of War, Mario Odyssey and Battlefront 2, and apart from the Switch exclusive the other 3 should run much better on One X.

nelo_inc

I can only justify getting new hardware if i buy a 4K TV, except for the Switch reason being Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade 2.

n0razi

I'm currently rocking a gaming PC, a PS4 Pro, and a New 3DS. I had a Switch at some point but I sold it since it was just collecting dust (not because it isn't awesome but because my PC and PS4 backlogs were so large... mostly thanks to PUBG) and I was able to recoup 100% of its original value.

I also have a NES Classic and SNES Classic but those are sealed in my closet for future use

Is there a game I want to play on it I can't play anywhere else? -> Do I want it bad enough that I want to pay the asking price?

I wanted to play Zelda BOTW bad enough to cough up for the Switch but I always end up playing "1 more match" in PUBG instead. It felt bad just having it sit there all day so I sold it while while it still had good resale value. I might revisit it when a v2 Switch comes out.

alexbull_uk

Is there a game I want to play on it I can't play anywhere else? -> Do I want it bad enough that I want to pay the asking price? -> Are there other games on the system which I can benefit from?

Pretty simple. I don't feel any pressure to get new hardware, I just buy what I want.

Yeah, this is pretty much me too.

Works pretty well. But you will eventually own every console, so if that's something you specifically want to avoid it obviously isn't the right choice.

Minimalism has really helped me in this respect.

I’m not saying it doesn’t cross my mind anymore, but I don’t worry about having everything like I used to. I’m actually thinking about getting rid of my 3DS, my XBO S and my gaming PC so I can just focus on my PS4 (main platform) and my Vita.

Before getting into minimalism I had to own everything, and all the latest games. How many of those games did I play? Barely any at all. I still just buying them, I would put a game on a credit card if I couldn’t afford it just so that I could start it so I could be part of the conversation. I would constantly want new controllers or be looking at new and better headsets and headphones because I wasn’t contempt with anything I had. I ended up buying a 4k HDR tv because I learned the input lag on my old tv was horrible and I couldn’t stand it anymore (I had literally never cared before I knew, nor did it seem to affect me much)

I was buying things to try to prove to myself that I loved video games, and to be able to talk about it with friends and coworkers.

In Fumio Sasaki’s book he talks about how our brains are 50000 years old, and yet we still just keep adding more and more to the list of things we have to think about and process. Our stuff constantly sends us silent signals, our unplaced games on the shelf or even digitally ask us why we aren’t playing them, saying “hey you paid $60 for me and you haven’t touched me, what’s up with that?”

Now I’m down to less then 20 physical games. 20! I used to have over 150 at some point. I also don’t care about having the latest and the greatest, or playing every new game. I’m able to save more money and try to get my credit card and school debt down, and I can finally focus on games that I love without constantly thinking about all the games I own that I haven’t played or finished. I also have more time to focus on learning Japanese in preperation for my move.

/rant

Basically I don’t worry about having everything, I don’t have the time to finish every game that comes out especially when I consider 5 platform. If I sell my pc will I end up getting another one? Maybe but right now I’m focusing on the two platforms that house the games I love most (and even then I’d buy a laptop since I won’t have room for a gaming pc in a 15sqm apartment, as honestly all I play is PUBG )

tl;dr I don’t anymore, I can’t justify the price when I already have more then enough to satisfy me.

Top Bottom